PDA

View Full Version : Who thought this was a great idea?

datachicane
06-07-03, 04:34 AM
I'm flipping channels tonight just before going to bed, and I happen on an infomercial for a Tiger DVR computer system. Just as I press the 'off' button, I see a glimpse of daMatta at Long Beach... needless to say, the TV comes back on.

Sure enough, it's Long Beach, with lovely 2002 vintage champcars screaming under the Toyota sign, then some daMatta in-car, then some more race action- the pseudogenXhucksterspokesperson is demonstrating how he can record his favorite sporting events with this box, and apparently CART is his favorite sport, right? Well, there was an Atlantics shot interspersed with the CART stuff, but still... sure enough, he fires up the schedule so he can record a future broadcast of... the Pacific Racing Series. WTF is that? Pacific Racing Series? Surely somebody had to authorize the use for this footage, and just as surely that somebody wasn't the Pacific Racing Series. FWIW, this was a slick studio-produced demo, not some seat-of-the-pants live audience thing. Heads should roll.

Cmndr Keen
06-07-03, 10:36 AM
Sounds like they called it the "Pacific Racing Series" so they would'nt have to pay a royalty. Begs the questions as to whether they had the rights to use it in the first place.

nrc
06-07-03, 03:54 PM
I can't find anything about it on the web. CART might be interested in knowing that their footage is being reused and mislabelled.

On a related topic, I wonder if CART has considered using one of TiVo's showcases to promote their TV broadcasts. TiVo seems right down their demographic and it would be an opportunity to get very high click-through rates to some compelling video. Have Lingner do a few of their music video-style spots and put them in a showcase with an option to automatically get a "CART Racing" Season Pass.

pchall
06-07-03, 03:58 PM
Haven't seen it.

But if you smell a rat, you ought to point it out.

skidmarks
06-08-03, 10:03 AM
There used to be an ad for advertising on cable that showed clips of Cleveland CART. I liked it, but no mention of CART.

Jag_Warrior
06-08-03, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by nrc
On a related topic, I wonder if CART has considered using one of TiVo's showcases to promote their TV broadcasts. TiVo seems right down their demographic and it would be an opportunity to get very high click-through rates to some compelling video. Have Lingner do a few of their music video-style spots and put them in a showcase with an option to automatically get a "CART Racing" Season Pass.

Apparently I have to get a new dish and receiver by the end of this year - maybe I should get Tivo on the new one. What is this "Tivo showcase" you're talking about?

skidmarks
06-10-03, 08:06 AM
Hey I was just in Best Buy, and in thier Digital Television section they were showing some show on apeed, looked like highlighting Herdez or something, no sound.

The images on a $10k plasma look sooooo nice, 3D even. It was cool to walk in and see Champcars on that HUGE plasma wall they have there.

Exit, stage left.

oddlycalm
06-10-03, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
Apparently I have to get a new dish and receiver by the end of this year - maybe I should get Tivo on the new one.

IMO, a PVR is mandatory for every race fan. Whether Tivo, ReplayTV, or in conjunction with a sat receiver doesn't really matter.

Aside from removing 20 minutes of commercials/hour, you can also miss all the yellow flag laps. My newest box is a Replay with 320hrs of capacity and automatic commercial deletion, which works incredibly well. The large capacity allows viewing of everything at the highest quality level, and also allows limited archiving.

oc