PDA

View Full Version : That was worth staying up...

cameraman
03-28-10, 03:49 AM
Now that was a race:thumbup:

Fio1
03-28-10, 04:33 AM
Button came in at the right time! I'm glad he won the race. It is obvious that Hamilton is the faster & better 'racer' of the two, but he's not the smarter of the two. Also, if Weber would have come in on the same lap as all the other drivers, he would have won easily. Red Bull might have the best car, but they are not the best team. And, with Vettel losing two potentially easy wins, it will make things interesting for the championship. I am also glad Massa got another podium. Also, I'm sure Alguessauri enjoyed his battle with Schumi; doubt Schumi feels the same way. :thumbup:

Trevor Longman
03-28-10, 05:59 AM
I agree that was a great race. Some of the passes they attempted were absolutely nuts! The rain at the beginning helped but even without it it would have been a great race. Melbourne never disappoints! :D

emjaya
03-28-10, 06:54 AM
Button came in at the right time! I'm glad he won the race. It is obvious that Hamilton is the faster & better 'racer' of the two, but he's not the smarter of the two.

Martin Brundle on the BBC was sure Button had made a mistake going to slicks so early, especially when he went off at turn 3. I'm glad it worked out for him.

[QUOTE=Fio1;273551 Also, if Weber would have come in on the same lap as all the other drivers, he would have won easily. Red Bull might have the best car, but they are not the best team. And, with Vettel losing two potentially easy wins, it will make things interesting for the championship.[/QUOTE]

Red Bull know how to lose a race. A bad call by the team, and by Webber, lost the race for them. To keep both drivers out when Button was so fast was a big mistake.

NismoZ
03-28-10, 08:55 AM
Great! I woke up at 3:20.:( "We now join our program already in progress."

Cam
03-28-10, 09:15 AM
Was supposed to be there. Glad I didn't. Was much more entertaining with the lads over and a BBQ. :thumbup:

opinionated ow
03-28-10, 09:28 AM
Was supposed to be there. Glad I didn't. Was much more entertaining with the lads over and a BBQ. :thumbup:

So is it worth watching? I was a tad busy watching the Mooloolaba triathlon (OMG can you say hot chick overload) and flirting with one of them....

Cam
03-28-10, 09:42 AM
So is it worth watching? I was a tad busy watching the Mooloolaba triathlon (OMG can you say hot chick overload) and flirting with one of them....

And with fans like you Sydney is launching a hostile takeover bid. :saywhat:

opinionated ow
03-28-10, 10:10 AM
And with fans like you Sydney is launching a hostile takeover bid. :saywhat:

I won't go to any race at Homebush. It doesn't matter what series it is.

(and FWIW the triathlon today was a cracker of a race)

grungex
03-28-10, 10:47 AM
Woke up at 3:30am and decided to watch the recording, well worth it! :thumbup:

BarillaGirl
03-28-10, 11:20 AM
Cracking race, Gromit! :thumbup:

Though I have to admit I wailed when Vettel went off, then when Webber took a trip to the beach. :cry::cry::cry:

Can anyone explain to me why Webber went to the pits for a new front wing with only a couple of laps left? Did he think he would be black flagged for damage? :confused: Seems to me he could have eked out a couple more points if he'd just kept grinding on.

OK, going off to make some David Hobbs bingo cards for Malaysia. Anybody want to play with me? Center square is "BOY OH BOY."

Indy
03-28-10, 02:08 PM
McLaren!!!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Button came in at the right time! I'm glad he won the race. It is obvious that Hamilton is the faster & better 'racer' of the two, but he's not the smarter of the two.

I am really appreciating Button now. Who would have thought he would be leading Hamilton in points after two races?

if Weber would have come in on the same lap as all the other drivers, he would have won easily. Red Bull might have the best car, but they are not the best team.

Weber may have been screwed by his team, but his larger problem is the fact that he is a bonehead.

WickerBill
03-28-10, 03:20 PM
Hamilton says McLaren wrecked "the drive of his life" by calling him in for new tires. He's quite upset.

Methanolandbrats
03-28-10, 03:44 PM
Lewis must have left this at home
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/03/pacifiers.jpg

TrueBrit
03-28-10, 05:00 PM
Lewis must have left this at home
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/03/pacifiers.jpg

Agreed...totally without class..

However, Webber = Moron

WickerBill
03-28-10, 05:11 PM
Well, he was whining before he got punted... I'm sure that just added to the hilarity in the garage.

Fio1
03-28-10, 09:38 PM
We learned a lot this race:
Red Bull have best car, but worse team strategy. Horner isn't any good!
Weber is a blockhead.
Hamilton make brilliant passes, but boy is he fragile (Danica like)
Massa is supper cool!
Alonso thinks his teammates needs to get out of his way....and not as strong mentally because of it.
Kubica is hard to pass (Patrese like)
Schumacher underestimated the talent in F1. I guess he figured since Rubinho was still winning races it would be easy...NOPE!

Sean Malone
03-28-10, 09:52 PM
Red Bull have best car, but worse team strategy.

maybe 'fastest' car, but they have to sort out some things to get it to see the checkers.

Rogue Leader
03-28-10, 10:48 PM
Hamilton says McLaren wrecked "the drive of his life" by calling him in for new tires. He's quite upset.

He was whining worse than Danica

grungex
03-28-10, 11:16 PM
Unpossible...

cameraman
03-29-10, 12:06 AM
Red Bull Racing F1 Team driver Mark Webber has been given a reprimand by the race stewards after his home Grand Prix at Melbourne for his part in the collision with McLaren's Lewis Hamilton.

I guess Tom Kristensen didn't think too much of that move.

cameraman
03-29-10, 12:14 AM
Hmmm,

Well, yes, we had a problem with the brakes of the left front tyre. As I understand it the tyre was not fixed properly and therefore had too much play and damaged the brake disc. It started two laps before - I wanted to pit but the next lap it was improving again so the decision was made to keep me out, and then it was too late.

Not a true mechanical more of a pit crew mistake?

oddlycalm
03-29-10, 04:01 AM
I'm going out on a limb and saying the "boring F1 race talk" will quite down a few decibels, at least for a week or so. Instead of mandating two pit stops and using the two tire specs they should just put sprinklers around the tracks with a PLC that utilizes a randomization algorithm. :laugh:

Some good drives today. :thumbup:

oc

emjaya
03-29-10, 09:55 AM
Red Bull have best car, but worse team strategy. Horner isn't any good!
Weber is a blockhead.
Hamilton make brilliant passes, but boy is he fragile (Danica like)
Massa is supper cool!
Alonso thinks his teammates needs to get out of his way....and not as strong mentally because of it.
Kubica is hard to pass (Patrese like)
Schumacher underestimated the talent in F1. I guess he figured since Rubinho was still winning races it would be easy...NOPE!

This was the first real, and probably his last, chance for Webber to win the Australian GP. Something he has put a lot of pressure on himself to do, and it showed yesterday in his driving. I could not believe they stayed out for an extra lap when the rest came in for slicks.

Hopefully now Webber will settle down, rack up some points and win a few. And the championship. :gomer:

Hamilton seemed to be feeling the pressure too. Having a popular British WDC as a team mate, as opposed to a whinging Spaniard, might be preying on him, especially when Button was so far out in front.

Whining about the pit stop with two laps to go showed his mind is not as focused as it should be.

NismoZ
03-29-10, 10:16 AM
You all talk about the Danica-like complainig , but why in the world WOULD he be called in with only 2 laps to go? As noted I missed the race, but seems to me it was a "strategy?" that deserves questioning. We see the downside, what was the upside they were looking for?

TrueBrit
03-29-10, 10:27 AM
You all talk about the Danica-like complainig , but why in the world WOULD he be called in with only 2 laps to go? As noted I missed the race, but seems to me it was a "strategy?" that deserves questioning. We see the downside, what was the upside they were looking for?

He wasn't called in with 2 laps to go. He was whining with 2 laps to go..

Steve99
03-29-10, 02:03 PM
Hmmm,

Not a true mechanical more of a pit crew mistake?
Or a design flaw. Maybe some more wind tunnel testing will allowy them to come up with a better mechanical design. :(

Easy
03-29-10, 02:28 PM

Webber took him off with 2 to go, he was complaining with about 8 to go and pitted well before that.

The second stop was the right call at the time. Lewis was stuck behind Kubica and starting to grain his tires. At the time, Schu had just pitted for fresh slicks and was setting fastest sector times all over.

Hobbes was unsurprisingly silent as Lewis tee'd off on his team in the middle of a global television broadcast. Matchett thankfully admonished Lewis.

Fio1
03-29-10, 02:37 PM
I know that Lewis is Mclaren's boy. But someone needs to tell him to keep his mouth shut and concentrate on the race at hand. If this kind of nonsense keeps going on, Jenson should capitalize on this (Schumacher style) and get the team to work for him. Head to head, I believe Hamilton is faster and a better racer, but he may not have the point advantage in the long run, especially he keeps acting like a Danica. Let's not forget that it was Jenson's idea to come in early and McLaren's idea to pit Lewis.....

TrueBrit
03-29-10, 03:28 PM
Hobbes was unsurprisingly silent as Lewis tee'd off on his team in the middle of a global television broadcast. Matchett thankfully admonished Lewis.

I think Hobbo was as gob-smacked as Varsha was..

As predicted by some before the start of the year, Benson Jutton is much easier on the tyres than Hooner Hamilton..

Someone needs to educate Chocolate Jessus that shredding your tyres in the first 10 laps you have them on will do you bugger-all good over the course of a Grand Prix...

Personally I hope Jenson, in a very balanced and mature manner, wipes Mr *****cat Dolls all over the place..

One thing for sure, if Jenson keeps winning races the softly, softly way, and Lewis goes all Princess Perma-pout about it on the radio as he did yesterday, methinks Lewis Hoonilton will have a very difficult season indeed...

Oh, and Webber is STILL a Grade-A Moron (even though he backed Lewis up about his run-in with the filth)..

Gnam
03-29-10, 03:42 PM
If I was Kobayashi, I would put a hit out on the Sauber front wing designer. :thumdown:

I thought Button really enjoyed twisting the knife during the post race press conference, when he went out of his way to thank the team right after Hamilton had slammed them. :laugh:

Also, did Button change girlfriends over the offseason?

TrueBrit
03-29-10, 03:49 PM
I thought Button really enjoyed twisting the knife during the post race press conference, when he went out of his way to thank the team right after Hamilton had slammed them. :laugh:

I thought so too..

Also, did Button change girlfriends over the offseason? Nope. Same bird.

Rogue Leader
03-29-10, 04:12 PM
I thought so too..

Nope. Same bird.

I read they broke up, hes single... probably not getting laid thats why hes frustrated

Steve99
03-29-10, 07:37 PM
Also, did Button change girlfriends over the offseason?
I thought there was one in the team garage and one at the railing post-race. Don't know who they were though. :confused:

Methanolandbrats
03-29-10, 08:01 PM
I thought there was one in the team garage and one at the railing post-race. Don't know who they were though. :confused:

All those guys keep several spares.

Indy
03-29-10, 08:35 PM
Matchett thankfully admonished Lewis.

His team guy, anti-driver biases overwhelmed his Lewie man-longing. :laugh:

eiregosod
03-29-10, 09:49 PM
Hamilton is tunring a cross between Michael jackson and Mike Tyson.
He's never had a proper teenage upbringing with Anthony bringing him to all the karting events etc...
Now that he's sacked Anthiny, he's like Mike Tyson after moving from Gus Da'matto to Don King (OT I think there should be a Don King smilie).
We know that Iron Mike started going off the rails once Don King was his manager. Wacko spent his entire life striving to become a teenager.

We dont know if Jense knew that Hammo dissed the team during the race. Jense takes credit for the decisions, knowing when to switch to slicks and then going all the way.
BTW, Jense was doing his fastest laps of the race after Hammo etc.. made their 2nd pitstop.

As for the Schu, he really came into his own in F1 when refuelling was introduced.

Methanolandbrats
03-29-10, 10:08 PM
His team guy, anti-driver biases overwhelmed his Lewie man-longing. :laugh:

Lew will never cheat on Uncle Ron.

cameraman
03-29-10, 10:49 PM
It was an exciting and disappointing day for Lewis. He had a great day but we made a decision as a team, we decided that we needed to change tyres and ultimately it disadvantaged him. We could have had a one-two and inevitably there's a tinge of disappointment when you don't get it. I've already spoken to Lewis, he's someone who wants to win. The time at which we took the decision I personally believed it was the right call, but in hindsight you can now see how the race played out - the Ferraris didn't stop. If he'd stayed out and his tyres had been intact he could have been second. At the time, he was losing time behind Kubica and you could see graining on his rear left tyre. Those drivers who had pitted were going over a second a lap quicker so we believed it was the right call. To all intents and purposes I made the call as I could stop it or overrule.

There is always the hope that Lewis might actually grow up a little through all this.:rolleyes:

JohnHKart
03-30-10, 03:09 AM
:thumbup:
I think Hobbo was as gob-smacked as Varsha was..

As predicted by some before the start of the year, Benson Jutton is much easier on the tyres than Hooner Hamilton..

Someone needs to educate Chocolate Jessus that shredding your tyres in the first 10 laps you have them on will do you bugger-all good over the course of a Grand Prix...

Personally I hope Jenson, in a very balanced and mature manner, wipes Mr *****cat Dolls all over the place..

One thing for sure, if Jenson keeps winning races the softly, softly way, and Lewis goes all Princess Perma-pout about it on the radio as he did yesterday, methinks Lewis Hoonilton will have a very difficult season indeed...

Oh, and Webber is STILL a Grade-A Moron (even though he backed Lewis up about his run-in with the filth)..

Post of the year...I need to go to bed and I'm laughing. "Chocolate Jesus":rofl:

That was a brilliant race...Kept thinking there was going to be a huge accident on those high speed runs and passing down the straights.

Easy
03-30-10, 09:53 AM
FWIW, Brembo PR re Vettel's mechanical...

via Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82546)

Red Bull's brake supplier Brembo issued a statement on Tuesday clarifying that the failure had nothing to do with the brakes.

The company said Red Bull had confirmed a torque drive between the front left axle and wheel has been lost.

"With regard to the retirement of the Red Bull Racing's driver Sebastian Vettel during the Grand Prix of Australia, Brembo communicates that the cause of his exit in Turn 13 was not caused by the braking system supplied by Brembo, as some publications have reported,"

"Red Bull Racing has confirmed that Sebastian Vettel retired from the Australian Grand Prix after the torque drive between the front left axle and wheel was lost.

"Post-race investigations revealed the wheel nut was correctly tightened at the pitstop as well as other possible causes of the fault.

Newey's desire for lightweight components strikes again?

emjaya
03-30-10, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Martin Whitmarsh
It was an exciting and disappointing day for Lewis. He had a great day but we made a decision as a team, we decided that we needed to change tyres and ultimately it disadvantaged him. We could have had a one-two and inevitably there's a tinge of disappointment when you don't get it. I've already spoken to Lewis, he's someone who wants to win. The time at which we took the decision I personally believed it was the right call, but in hindsight you can now see how the race played out - the Ferraris didn't stop. If he'd stayed out and his tyres had been intact he could have been second. At the time, he was losing time behind Kubica and you could see graining on his rear left tyre. Those drivers who had pitted were going over a second a lap quicker so we believed it was the right call. To all intents and purposes I made the call as I could stop it or overrule.There is always the hope that Lewis might actually grow up a little through all this.:rolleyes:

They made the right decision.

Hamiltons tyres must have been in a far worse condition than Buttons when he pitted. Hamilton had to fight his way past Rosberg, Webber and both the Ferrari's and had sat behind Kubica without being able to get past. Button had ended up behind Vettel and was never troubled the whole race.

Rosberg and Webber were the only ones in the top bunch to pit for a second set, apart from Hamilton, and they stopped first. If the single stoppers had had to stop late in the race for tyres, it would have been Webber and Rosberg in the lead.

Whitmarsh covered both bases. Good for the team, bad for Lewis. That's my take on it.

oddlycalm
03-30-10, 03:52 PM
Kept thinking there was going to be a huge accident on those high speed runs and passing down the straights.

Yep, we got to see some seriously good driving on Sunday. Not a lot of carnage considering.

oc

oddlycalm
03-30-10, 04:02 PM
Whitmarshs covered both bases. Good for the team, bad for Lewis. That's my take on it.
Exactly right. Since up till now Hamilton thought the team existed for his edification what we were hearing was evidence of a rather rude awakening in progress. :D :laugh:

oc

Steve99
03-30-10, 05:45 PM
Newey's desire for lightweight components strikes again?
You mean those mechanical weaknesses don't show up in the wind tunnel? ;)

What exactly is a "torque drive"? One of the pins that engage into a hole in the wheel?

Easy
03-31-10, 12:09 PM
You mean those mechanical weaknesses don't show up in the wind tunnel? ;)

What exactly is a "torque drive"? One of the pins that engage into a hole in the wheel?

Yeah, I'm surprised Newey hasn't moved to aerospace where he wouldn't have to deal with pesky wheels and suspension.

When the suspension on Newey's first Red Bull chassis kept folding like a lawn chair Ron Dennis said something like, 'you have take what Adrian wants and make it 20% stronger'. Horner hasn't quite heeded that advise it seems.

Torque Drive is a probably a mechanical kind of (near) ABS working almost like a limited slip diff to keep the unloaded front brake from locking.

BarillaGirl
04-02-10, 01:45 PM
All those guys keep several spares.

Maybe they passed a rule in the off-season that each driver must use at least 2 girlfriends during the season. If he made the switch already, he's stuck with her through the rest of 2010. ;)

oddlycalm
04-02-10, 08:06 PM
Maybe they passed a rule in the off-season that each driver must use at least 2 girlfriends during the season. If he made the switch already, he's stuck with her through the rest of 2010. ;)

:rofl:

oc