PDA

View Full Version : Impact woes

High Sided
03-27-10, 12:51 PM
“Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports,” the statement said.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/26/408663/group-faults-impact-safety-equipment.html#ixzz0jOeHzAA1

devilmaster
03-27-10, 03:57 PM
not really a tin-foil hat kinda guy....

But ever since the death of saint dale, It has seemed like there's been a bit of backroom shenanigans between the frances and simpson.

I've ranted before that the culture of Nascar and its racing was a strong contributor to dale's death, perhaps even more so than the strength tolerances of simpson racing seatbelts.

So me wonders about this....

oddlycalm
03-27-10, 05:23 PM
But ever since the death of saint dale, It has seemed like there's been a bit of backroom shenanigans between the frances and simpson.
What I recall is NASCAR throwing Simpson under the bus and pointing the finger of blame at his equipment as opposed to their too stiff chassis spec, lack of Hans device, etc.

I'd like to think Bill Simpson wouldn't be involved in something sleazy because what Simpson equipment I've owned was first rate gear and ahead of it's time, but I have no idea what he's been up to since walking away from Simpson after Earnhardt's death.

oc

nrc
03-27-10, 06:31 PM
I'm sure NASCAR would rather that everyone forget, but ultimately the belt problem likely had nothing to do with Earnhardt's death. It was a basil skull fracture.

If you read the statements from Impact and the SFI, it's sounds like in this case the issue isn't certified labels on uncertified equipment, it's Impact creating their own labels instead of paying SFI for theirs (as required).

But this may be related to an earlier situation where the HANS people brought suit against Impact for using uncertified HANS anchors that were marked as certified.

http://www.dragracingsafety.com/articles/article-4.html

devilmaster
03-27-10, 08:23 PM
What I recall is NASCAR throwing Simpson under the bus and pointing the finger of blame at his equipment as opposed to their too stiff chassis spec, lack of Hans device, etc.

You recall correctly. Bill Simpson was very vocal during the fallout of dale's death, and I believe it had a hand in him being removed from the company bearing his name.

I'd like to think Bill Simpson wouldn't be involved in something sleazy because what Simpson equipment I've owned was first rate gear and ahead of it's time, but I have no idea what he's been up to since walking away from Simpson after Earnhardt's death.

Looking at the link Richard posted... and snooping around, I'm not pro-Impact, but looking at the press releases of HANS' website, one could infer that HANS strongly wants to keep its market share and will act to keep it. What if Impact was using bolts that were just as strong, but of course not HANS bolts?

I don't know who's in the right or wrong here, but I'll bet that the whole story isn't out.

High Sided
03-27-10, 09:31 PM
seems pretty simple to me, Impact Racing has been using counterfeit tags, labels, and fasteners. :thumdown:

"Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community."
http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Epic-Fail-All-Impact-Racing-Safety-Products-to-Be-Decertified-by-SFI.html

Rogue Leader
03-28-10, 07:23 PM
Looking at the link Richard posted... and snooping around, I'm not pro-Impact, but looking at the press releases of HANS' website, one could infer that HANS strongly wants to keep its market share and will act to keep it. What if Impact was using bolts that were just as strong, but of course not HANS bolts?

I don't know who's in the right or wrong here, but I'll bet that the whole story isn't out.

And what if someone wrecked in a race, and the non HANS bolts failed (just as strong or not) and they died. HANS gets sued for something that they never certified or sold as functional. They need to protect themselves.

Easy
03-29-10, 03:41 AM
I thought Bill Simpson had already left the company bearing his name at the time of Earnhardt's death and his protestations stemmed partially from the imminent expiration of his non-compete clause and pending launch of Impact.

It's been a while though, I may be mistaken.

High Sided
04-01-10, 11:02 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/industry-bill-simpson-sfi-come-to-terms/

April, 2010

JOINT PRESS RELEASE

April 1, 2010 - Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc., in the litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, have agreed that:

1. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, no counterfeit SFI Conformance Labels have been used on Impact Racing products during the production years of 2009 and 2010.

2. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, all Impact Racing products manufactured and sold during the production years 2009 and 2010 meet SFI specifications.

3. Based upon this sworn testimony, the decertification against Impact Racing products for the production years 2009 and 2010 is lifted. The decertification of the production years prior to 2009 and 2010 remains in effect. The parties will continue to work cooperatively in an effort to resolve the issues relating to decertification in these years.

4. Impact Racing stands behind the safety of all products it has manufactured and to which SFI Conformance Labels have been affixed. SFI will continue to monitor compliance with product specifications.

5. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc. will cooperate in determining whether any Impact Racing product bears a counterfeit SFI Conformance Label and if any safety issue exists in regard to products manufactured prior to 2009 and 2010.

6. If any Impact Racing product does not bear the date of manufacture the purchaser or user is instructed to immediately contact Impact Racing who will provide verification of the date of manufacture. Impact Racing, LLC will immediately notify SFI Foundation, Inc. of this occurrence. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc. will work with the sanctioning bodies to determine the best method for product users to present verification of the date of manufacture.

SteveH
04-01-10, 11:05 PM
wtf? wonder what the back story on this is

Indy
04-02-10, 11:45 AM
Sounds like money changed hands. Which leads to some disturbing questions, like, if the products were not actually certified, how can the agency of certification simply declare them to be so in order to reach a legal settlement? What about all the people who are depending on the products to save their lives? And is the certification agency, by making this agreement, implying it is all about the money, anyway? Where is the principled stand?

Fio1
04-02-10, 01:57 PM
It was ugly stuff anyways. I never liked it. It was cheaper then European stuff, but not as well made. You'd be stupid not use an Arai helmet and either a Sparco, Puma, Alpinestars, OMP or Sabelt suit, gloves & shoes.

I never really understood how Bill Simpson left Simpson to start another company that makes stuff that look like old Simpson stuff. After Scott Gladestone started Sparco USA, getting stuff from Euro has been easier then ever. You can even buy Carbon Arai GP6's now in the States (F1 helmet, $6,000) and other FIA legal stuff.

devilmaster
04-02-10, 02:42 PM
I never really understood how Bill Simpson left Simpson to start another company that makes stuff that look like old Simpson stuff.

As I understood it, Simpson was the figurehead but not the majority owner. The death of Saint Dale and subsequent fallout over seatbelts that (IMHO) had pretty much nothing to do with his death, could have been the death knell for the company.

The seatbelts were made the scapegoat, the company stood to lose big time, and Bill falls on the sword.

I'm sure thats not how it exactly went, but I believe it to be close.

nrc
04-02-10, 11:13 PM
Sounds like money changed hands. Which leads to some disturbing questions, like, if the products were not actually certified, how can the agency of certification simply declare them to be so in order to reach a legal settlement? What about all the people who are depending on the products to save their lives? And is the certification agency, by making this agreement, implying it is all about the money, anyway? Where is the principled stand?

As I understood it, the equipment had passed certification, but during some time period Impact allegedly used labels that they produced themselves instead of paying the premium for the required SFI produced labels.

JohnHKart
04-09-10, 07:29 PM
I like my 800 dollar 2008 Impact helmet...I checked it last week though and it doesn't say anything. So no SFI, no Snell ratings. Hmm.:(

Fio1
04-09-10, 08:46 PM
I like my 800 dollar 2008 Impact helmet...I checked it last week though and it doesn't say anything. So no SFI, no Snell ratings. Hmm.:(

That sucks! :shakehead So, it's basically useless....

JLMannin
04-12-10, 10:35 PM
IIRC, the Simpson belts in Dales car were installed upside down, as Dale liked pulling the belts up to tighten them ans opposed to pulling them down.

Rogue Leader
04-13-10, 12:11 PM

Well it wouldn't have an SFI marking, but the SNELL sticker should be on the foam inside the helmet, sometimes its hard to find. Check it again, Impact has no problems with SNELL and there was no issue regarding their helmets (except for the HANS mounts), just their other products.

Fio1
04-15-10, 05:45 PM
You can't even race a 1975 Buick with a metal pig welded on your roof while wearing Impact gear anymore.

"In case you haven't heard (coma? longterm cave habitation?), many Impact!-brand racing suits, shoes, gloves, neck supports, arm restraints, harnesses, and undergarments will be de-certified by the SFI on 27 April 2010. (Click hereto read the releases on SFI's website.)

Since valid certification is a requirement of LeMons' (and just about everyone else's) insurance, after 26 April 2010 we will no longer be able to allow many Impact!-brand suits, shoes, gloves, neck supports, arm restraints, harnesses, and undergarments onto the track." LeMons e-mail.