PDA

View Full Version : The Jersey City/Hoboken GP

Elmo T
03-25-10, 06:01 PM
The Longman's get a home GP? :D

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he is working on a deal to have a grand prix in New York by 2012.

"I'm trying to do it for 2012," Ecclestone told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"It would be in front of Manhattan, in New Jersey, with the skyscrapers in the background, 15 minutes from the heart of New York to the circuit, it would be marvellous." (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82366)

Gnam
03-25-10, 06:07 PM
:D
Bernie might finally meet his match when it comes to extortion.

Hey, yo! Little troll doll.
Youse can't park dat dere without the boss sez it's ok, capisci?

Where you from anyways, Narnia?

Methanolandbrats
03-25-10, 06:34 PM
:yuck: Another urban festival. Stick it in your starfish Bernie. The ****er just won't die before he completely ruins F1.

High Sided
03-25-10, 07:04 PM
racing = carnival = f1, nascar, irl

oddlycalm
03-25-10, 08:58 PM
Too bad Islip Speedway is no more. First F1 figure 8 race would be a high water mark fitting for Bernie. :rolleyes:

oc

Rogue Leader
03-26-10, 12:20 AM
The track will probably suck, but with Jersey less than an hour away I will be there for every moment of this event should it show up here. We have been starving ever since IndyCar left the Meadowlands!

pchall
03-26-10, 12:43 PM
Too bad Islip Speedway is no more. First F1 figure 8 race would be a high water mark fitting for Bernie. :rolleyes:

oc

The day will soon come when figure 8 school bus racing from Islip would look pretty good compared to Bernie efF'd 1.

Andrew Longman
03-26-10, 01:21 PM

oc

The figure eight is still open all the way out in Riverhead. Been there a few times including for the figure eight school bus races. They still pack 'em in there.

Trevor told me about this a few days ago. I thought the intended to do it in the Meadowlands, not JC/Hoboken.

JC/Hoboken could be cool but I'd really have to see just where they could find the room. Mass transit to it from NYC and the rest on NJ is readily available. If they used Liberty State Park, there is plenty of open space and it is across about 300' of water to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with great views of lower Manhattan. Hoboken/JC are no longer dumps and have plenty a small cool places to hang, eat and party. Lots of young people and ethnicity.

As for the Meadowlands, there is now a rail link straight to it from NYC and NJ and the giant shopping center with indoor skiing and a giant ferris wheel is supposed to turn it into a destination of some sort. I don't see it panning out as planned and it is an eyesore, but maybe a grand prix (and other billion dollar investment) is just what they need.

Either way, they will have to get through the local flack and corruption which is only slightly worse in NYC.

"Hey Bernie. Whats yousay we hava talk. I am very very concernt foor dis race ting of yours. I wootnt want anyting to happen to it. Yous seem like a nice guy and deres soooo many tings dat cound rooint da whole ting"

I'd like to see it happen if for no other reason than it means racing is again successful enough to afford to pull this sort of thing off. It would astronomically expensive and Bernie can expect zero $ from the state and local governments. The governments are completely broke and holding debt just above junk status. Of course if history repeats itself that won't make a difference. That's why the state is broke.

Rogue Leader
03-26-10, 01:46 PM

I'd like to see it happen if for no other reason than it means racing is again successful enough to afford to pull this sort of thing off. It would astronomically expensive and Bernie can expect zero $ from the state and local governments. The governments are completely broke and holding debt just above junk status. Of course if history repeats itself that won't make a difference. That's why the state is broke.

Very good point, if Bernie expects some sort of multi million dollar sanctioning fees from NY or NJ they will tell him to go stuff it and that he will have to pay THEM to use THEIR space for a race. It will never happen.

oddlycalm
03-26-10, 05:19 PM
Either way, they will have to get through the local flack and corruption which is only slightly worse in NYC.

"They" being whatever idiot/race promoter Bernie thinks he has lined up to pay him $35 million then eat the whale choker of a financial loss. :laugh:

oc

Indy
03-27-10, 12:00 AM
This isn't going to happen. There would be no money in it.

But you always have to consider what he is really trying to accomplish with this sort of statement. My guess is that he is negotiating with someone else, and he wants to make sure they know he has other options.

Trevor Longman
05-04-10, 08:10 PM
Crap the artsy types caught wind of the story and you just know they'll be picketing in front of town hall by next week... :rolleyes:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83312

It might be for the best though, the track map looks god awful.

Gnam
05-04-10, 08:18 PM
It might be for the best though, the track map looks god awful.
What kind of American GP doesn't have a front or back straight? :gomer:

Run it at Road America or Cleveland or get the hell out. :mad:

rosawendel
05-04-10, 08:51 PM
hoboken? Ooooooo! I'm Dyin!
http://blog.chuckjones.com/.a/6a010536b5599f970c0120a5269b3d970b-500wi

Elmo T
05-05-10, 09:04 AM
Crap the artsy types caught wind of the story and you just know they'll be picketing in front of town hall by next week... :rolleyes:

"To maximize the dramatic effect, Jersey City could possibly follow in Singapore's footsteps by holding the finals at night."

The finals? :rolleyes:

Easy
05-05-10, 11:08 AM
Its dead already according to Autosport.

Jersey City has given up on its plans to host a Formula 1 race in the future, with its mayor canning the project just one day after it was made public.

Link to relevant information. (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83332)

Steve99
05-05-10, 02:20 PM
Run it at Road America or Cleveland or get the hell out. :mad:
Half the tracks they run on are "too bumpy" for them already. After one lap of Cleveland, they'd be on the next flight back to Europe.

BarillaGirl
05-05-10, 09:39 PM
Half the tracks they run on are "too bumpy" for them already. After one lap of Cleveland, they'd be on the next flight back to Europe.

Can't you just see the current crew sliding into each other all over the Cleveland track. :eek::eek::eek:

devilmaster
05-05-10, 11:44 PM
hoboken? Ooooooo! I'm Dyin!
http://blog.chuckjones.com/.a/6a010536b5599f970c0120a5269b3d970b-500wi

:thumbup:

Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?