PDA

View Full Version : Iceland Owes The World!

NismoZ
03-23-10, 06:53 PM
Cap (the volcano) and TAX, I say! Damn polluters. The ash clouds could lead to global winter! They better pay us about 90% of their GDP.:irked:

Gnam
03-23-10, 07:14 PM
The active volcano is named Eyjafijallajokull and is located approximately 120 km southeast of Reykjavik.

Maybe they could pay us in consonants? ;)

dando
03-23-10, 07:27 PM

Just hope it's not in putrefied fish/shark. :eek: :yuck: :saywhat:

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-23-10, 07:54 PM
ain't worryin about. Any monies you get from Iceland will just be from the payments made to them for Nato base Keflavik.

Andrew Longman
03-23-10, 08:22 PM
The ash clouds could lead to global winter!

The last time the thing blew, (or is that blewed up?) Summer never came, Europe fell into famine, the French government collapsed, and the Mississippi froze in New Orleans.

I think I'll take up skiing. Or talk to a snowmobile salesman in Alaska about buyin' a "snow machine". :tony:

Ankf00
03-23-10, 08:35 PM
Yo Aziz! What's the most random Disney villain you could think you were possessed by?

Scar! The evil lion from the Lion King!

*bzzzz* Wrong! It's the hockey team from Iceland in the Mighty Ducks 2!

Michaelhatesfans
03-23-10, 11:07 PM
The last time the thing blew, (or is that blewed up?)

It's "blowed" if you're a NASCAR fan.

TravelGal
03-24-10, 01:15 AM
Cap (the volcano) and TAX, I say! Damn polluters. The ash clouds could lead to global winter! They better pay us about 90% of their GDP.:irked:

:rofl::rofl:

ain't worryin about. Any monies you get from Iceland will just be from the payments made to them for Nato base Keflavik.

Right. I don't think you'd get much from them. Didn't they declare bankruptcy a year or so ago? Or were they just "on the brink."?

WickerBill
03-24-10, 06:16 AM
Quick, trade in your Prius for a gas-guzzling 1974 pickup truck and DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE, we need CO2 to warm the earth! Feed beans to the cows!

Indy
03-24-10, 08:56 AM
Right. I don't think you'd get much from them. Didn't they declare bankruptcy a year or so ago? Or were they just "on the brink."?

Totally busterino.

The global bankers sucked them dry and spit them out. Sort of like they did to us, except there are 300 million of us to pay it off. There are about 300 thousand of them.

devilmaster
03-24-10, 09:14 AM
Quick, trade in your Prius for a gas-guzzling 1974 pickup truck and DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE, we need CO2 to warm the earth! Feed beans to the cows!

Hmph. Always knew those green hippies would help Mother Earth destroy us all. :irked:

oddlycalm
03-24-10, 01:16 PM
It's "blowed" if you're a NASCAR fan.
I like the Hobbs version; "done blowed up"

oc

TravelGal
03-24-10, 04:35 PM
Totally busterino.

The global bankers sucked them dry and spit them out. Sort of like they did to us, except there are 300 million of us to pay it off. There are about 300 thousand of them.

That's what I thought. I think Greece is next. Seems to be the worst of the PIIGS of Europe. Edit: sorry for the hijack.

NismoZ
03-24-10, 07:00 PM
I KNEW I'd draw you out Indy!:D Guess we better make that 99%

SurfaceUnits
03-25-10, 10:36 AM
man, just when Greenland was beginning to reap the benefits of global warming and were about to start a revolution against Denmark as a result.

Greenland Rising
Global warming isn't bad news for everybody. In Greenland, the big melt could mean a flood of new revenue from mineral and oil deposits— previously trapped under ice. Flush with prospects, the locals are talking about making a final break from their benevolent colonizer, Denmark.

In chemistry, there's the concept of activation energy: Add heat, get a reaction. In Greenland, there's the reality of global warming: Add heat, get an independence movement. Warming is melting Greenland's ice, which is extending its shipping season and revealing massive oil and mineral deposits, which is making possible a mining boom and the royalties that go with it, which is convincing Greenland's people that eventually they may not need the $600 million in annual subsidies they get from Denmark—more than $10,000 a person. Which is convincing Greenlanders that soon they may not need Denmark at all.

Climate change means oil finds and zinc mines and also better fishing: cod, herring, halibut, and haddock migrating north as the ocean warms. It means disaster tourists: people coming to see glaciers slide into the sea. (Since 2004, cruise-ship arrivals have jumped 250 percent.) It means farming: potatoes and broccoli and carrots growing where they didn't grow before, more grass for more sheep. It means gushing rivers: an endless supply of freshwater that Greenland proposes to sell to a thirsty world.

The first time Greenlanders have seen green since the Vikings were in town, like 500 years ago.

http://current.com/shows/vanguard/89521833_i-heart-global-warming.htm

Sean Malone
03-25-10, 10:53 AM
man, just when Greenland was beginning to reap the benefits of global warming and were about to start a revolution against Denmark as a result.

Greenland Rising
Global warming isn't bad news for everybody. In Greenland, the big melt could mean a flood of new revenue from mineral and oil deposits— previously trapped under ice. Flush with prospects, the locals are talking about making a final break from their benevolent colonizer, Denmark.

In chemistry, there's the concept of activation energy: Add heat, get a reaction. In Greenland, there's the reality of global warming: Add heat, get an independence movement. Warming is melting Greenland's ice, which is extending its shipping season and revealing massive oil and mineral deposits, which is making possible a mining boom and the royalties that go with it, which is convincing Greenland's people that eventually they may not need the $600 million in annual subsidies they get from Denmark—more than $10,000 a person. Which is convincing Greenlanders that soon they may not need Denmark at all.

Climate change means oil finds and zinc mines and also better fishing: cod, herring, halibut, and haddock migrating north as the ocean warms. It means disaster tourists: people coming to see glaciers slide into the sea. (Since 2004, cruise-ship arrivals have jumped 250 percent.) It means farming: potatoes and broccoli and carrots growing where they didn't grow before, more grass for more sheep. It means gushing rivers: an endless supply of freshwater that Greenland proposes to sell to a thirsty world.

The first time Greenlanders have seen green since the Vikings were in town, like 500 years ago.

http://redtory.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/greenland-hearts-global-warming/

So in the end we'll all be huddled on the poles? Eek.

TravelGal
03-25-10, 03:50 PM
To hijack even further, I just read an article about the folks in Siberia who are harvesting enough dinosaur bones to create a new industry. Now that permafrost is not so perma, they are removing husks, making jewelry, etc. and feeding entire villages on the proceeds.

STD
03-25-10, 06:40 PM
It's all good even the part about a good amount of Florida getting claimed by the fishes. :laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
03-25-10, 06:47 PM
So in the end we'll all be huddled on the poles? Eek.

The only hudding at the poles will be on boats.

NismoZ
03-26-10, 12:49 PM
Tax Greenland! Tax Siberia. Send the $$ to Florida! It's the only moral thing to do.

Sean Malone
03-26-10, 01:04 PM
The only hudding at the poles will be on boats.

So Costner is a visionary!!!! I'm stocking up on JetSki's!!!!

:D

SurfaceUnits
03-26-10, 01:11 PM
imo be huddled on a beach in NE brasil

Methanolandbrats
03-26-10, 01:44 PM
It's all good even the part about a good amount of Florida getting claimed by the fishes. :laugh::thumbup::thumbup:

Sean Malone
03-26-10, 01:50 PM
It's all good even the part about a good amount of Florida getting claimed by the fishes. :laugh:

Considering that 90% of Floridians are New Yorkers....I'm all for it!!! :thumbup:

nrc
03-28-10, 03:04 PM
Can I just add that I turned on an extra light and let the lawn tractor idle in the yard for earth hour yesterday. :gomer:

Steve99
03-29-10, 03:16 PM
In Greenland, the big melt could mean a flood of new revenue from mineral and oil deposits
I'm already planning my trip for the Greenland F1 race.

Gnam
04-15-10, 07:39 PM
Ash cloud? What Ash cloud?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8727/icelandvolcano.jpg

Also, more photos of lava and stuff.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yahooeditorspicks/galleries/72157623855495574

Ankf00
04-19-10, 01:25 AM
All roads lead to western europe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/World-airline-routemap-2009.png

devilmaster
04-19-10, 11:23 AM
[not going to quote ank's pic, but.....]

Hello Dr. Falcon. What a strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

dando
04-19-10, 11:27 AM
[not going to quote ank's pic, but.....]

Hello Dr. Falken. What a strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Fixed. :)

Shall we play a game?

Classic!

-Kevin

TravelGal
04-19-10, 12:59 PM
^^^ one of our all-time fave flicks.

Airports are slowly reopening. IATA is having a fit about the way this was handled.

From today's briefing. "The National Air Traffic Service's latest report on the volcano advises that the current restrictions across UK controlled airspace remain in place until 0100, local time, on Tuesday. April 20. Reuters released a list of affected airports as of 20h00 GMT and their airspace status." I have the whole list. If interested PM me or check Reuters for updates. They are quite comprehensive.

SteveH
04-19-10, 01:46 PM
^^^ one of our all-time fave flicks.

I saw that film in Ann Arbor the night before the Sept. 1983 CART race at MIS. I had a friend on the Machinists Union race team and he set me up with a hotel room where the team was staying. There was a theater across the street playing War Games, so the was the evening's entertainment.

devilmaster
04-19-10, 02:17 PM
Fixed. :)
-Kevin

Actually, now that I think about it more.... and we're being anal... ;)

'Greetings Professor Falken.
-Hello, Joshua.
-What a strange game. [long pause]
The only winning move is not to play.'

and looking at the pic again, I noticed they have Canadian Forces Base Alert on that map at the top of Ellesmere island....

Gnam
04-19-10, 03:27 PM
Cool photos of volcano lightning.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2831/icevolcanofulle.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/x-25803-Natural-Disasters-Examiner~y2010m4d19-Italian-volcano-expert-captures-images-of-lightning-over-Icelands-Eyjafjallajokull-volcano

STD
04-19-10, 05:31 PM
:thumbup:

Gnam
04-19-10, 07:51 PM
a few more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36645958

Eyewitness accounts report two Hobbits trying to climb western slope of Eyjafjallajokull despite repeated attempts to inform them they're on the wrong island. :p

Gnam
04-19-10, 07:55 PM
"More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value... [A]ny man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/423/jfkvolcano.jpg

Huw Thomas, of England, eats his breakfast in his cot at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Monday, April 19. Thomas and his family were originally supposed to fly back to England from a vacation in New York on Friday, April 16, but now they are unsure of when they'll be able to return home.

TravelGal
04-19-10, 09:04 PM
I'm beginning to wonder that ^^^ myself as the cloud is beginning to disperse thisaway. It'll probably be to Fiji by the time I get there.

nrc
04-19-10, 11:18 PM
This reminded me of the story of a 747 that had all four engines shutdown flying through an ash cloud near Jakarta, Indonesia. Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9)

Reported announcement from the captain: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

Fortunately they were able to get engines restarted at about 11,000 feet and made it to a safe emergency landing.

TravelGal
04-20-10, 01:14 AM
Yes, boss. It was precisely that incident that caused the airline industry to rethink their policies on flying through ash. That, then, caused the knee-jerk ain't-nobody-goin-through-none-a-that stuff reaction over the entire face of Europe last week. No doubt it's better to be safe than sorry but, as noted, IATA is asking the airlines as a whole to reassess their procedures once again.

Ankf00
04-20-10, 04:07 AM
http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/icons-eya-20100416/ejafjalla16apr2010-mfulle4145j.jpg

http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/icons-eya-20100416/ejafjalla18apr2010-mfulle4289j.jpg

this world is one creepy mother ****er.

Don Quixote
04-20-10, 08:22 AM
Eyewitness accounts report two Hobbits trying to climb western slope of Eyjafjallajokull despite repeated attempts to inform them they're on the wrong island. :p:thumbup: Since I can't pronounce the name of that thing, I will call it Mount Doom.

dando
04-20-10, 08:50 AM
Meh. This whole thing is just an elaborate special effect for the upcoming movie The Hobbit. :gomer:

-Kevin

Steve99
04-20-10, 03:18 PM
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/423/jfkvolcano.jpg

They don't have hotels in NYC?

dando
04-20-10, 04:02 PM

Yes, for $400/night. I had to stay in Fort Lee, NJ a couple of years ago to get an affordable room rate.

-Kevin

cameraman
04-20-10, 04:27 PM

Depending on their visa/passport/immigration status there are many folks who are not allowed to leave the secure area of the terminal. They are stuck until a plane leaves.

devilmaster
04-20-10, 07:37 PM
ya know that first shot of lightning from ank should be on someone's album cover....

TravelGal
04-21-10, 12:37 PM
It was inevitable. You Tube now has a few good clips on how to pronounce the name of the volcano. It's apparently somewhat close to "I la forgot your yogurt. " LOL!

In other news I was intrigued to learn that AA said they did not fly from Europe yesterday because the European airlines were using VFR and AA is not allowed to do that in Europe. Or so they say (ref: aviationblog.dallasnews.com)

oddlycalm
04-21-10, 07:17 PM
The inevitable recriminations began yesterday with business management screaming about the money being lost as if someone has the power to wave a magic wand and make it all go away. Today they were claiming that closing the airspace was unwarranted. Never mind the ash cloud, we're losing money damn it.... :gomer:

oc

Gnam
04-21-10, 08:37 PM
You know what ash clouds can't stop? Rockets.

I demand solid fuel booster rocket powered jetliners. Get on it NASA. :p

KLang
04-22-10, 06:40 AM
You know what ash clouds can't stop? Rockets.

I demand solid fuel booster rocket powered jetliners. Get on it NASA. :p

I think NASA is now out of the rocket business. :\

Gnam
04-28-10, 07:42 PM
Time lapse video of the volcano. That thing smokes like a chimney. :gomer:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/time-lapse-captures-eyjafjallajokulls-eruption/20agghsu

TravelGal
05-05-10, 02:41 PM
Ash Update 5/5/10

Flights to and from Iceland and Scotland are still being grounded because of the volcanic ash that is drifting south from Iceland. Two airports serving Glasgow, Scotland's largest city, were closed until 1800 GMT, while flights from the Irish capital Dublin faced restrictions from 1000 GMT until at least 2300 GMT. This latest disruption sends a signal that these shutdowns could continue into the summer season. The European air traffic agency Eurocontrol said about 300 of 29,000 scheduled flights were likely to be cancelled today. "The situation is not expected to improve in this area during the day," the agency said in a statement. "The whole of Ireland, west Scotland and north-west England could be affected, with risk to operations at Manchester and Liverpool airports," it continued.

British Airways said it was canceling all flights to and from the Scottish cities of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen until 1200 GMT. Irish budget airline Ryanair also cancelled flights to and from Glasgow Prestwick and the Northern Irish cities of Belfast and Derry until 2300 GMT. Britain's Civil Aviation Authority said it did not anticipate problems in the southeast, where the major airports serving London are located.

In addition, according to Eurocontrol, roughly 900 flights in Greek airspace would be cancelled assuming a general strike in Greece against austerity plans lasted until midnight.

Gnam
05-05-10, 03:03 PM
Iceland Unveils Debt-Reduction Strategy

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4035/icelandicransomnote.jpg

Translation:
“Leave 30 billion euros in a plastic bag at the Iceland Embassy tonight and we will switch off the volcano. Do not call the police!”

Indy
05-07-10, 07:10 AM
^^^ Funny.

It has occurred to me that Jesus loves Iceland more than he loves international bankers. :laugh:

TravelGal
05-07-10, 01:23 PM

ICELAND DUSTS OFF THE WELCOME MAT

It got pretty dusty here for a while, but the Iceland Tourist Board wants to assure you that day-to-day life is back to normal after the recent excitement and commotion created by the Eyjafjallajokull volcanic eruption. Roadways in the south that were previously closed to tour buses have re-opened, flights remain on schedule, and all airports are open. Icelandic tour operators have been amending cancellation policies and Icelandair was commended in the media for their swift and efficient re-routing of North American flights. Thankfully the damage from the volcano was minimal and the Icelandic travel community was able to work together to ensure that every traveler's experience went as smoothly as possible.

On-going volcanic activity makes this an ideal opportunity to experience a once-in-a-lifetime world famous eruption. In fact, as you can see below, volcano tours have become, if you'll excuse the expression, explosively popular. Book your trip today.

Iceland never a dull moment!

For information that is regularly updated on the current volcanic situation in Iceland;

http://www.visiticeland.com/DiscoverIceland/WhatsOn/View/neweruptioninsouthiceland

TravelGal
05-10-10, 01:38 PM
Ash update 5/10/10

Volcanic ash continues to disrupt air travel in Europe and transatlantic travel. The BBC reports another, higher-level ash cloud is still hanging over the Atlantic, delaying flights between Europe and the US as jets divert around it. Ash from an Icelandic volcano is drifting across areas of France, Spain, northern Italy and Germany bringing more disruption to European air travel. Several airports were closed [Sunday], including Munich in southern Germany. According to BBC, the UK's Met Office said the ash cloud could disrupt UK airspace over the next few days. Weather forecasters predicted the ash cloud would gradually weaken as it spread over southern Germany, the Czech Republic and Austria by Sunday night. Eurocontrol's latest map on Sunday showed two areas of concentrated ash over northern Italy and south-eastern France. Aircraft reported an ash cloud over the Pyrenees on Saturday, the UK's Met Office said. Transatlantic flights continue to be affected by the ash cloud. Flights are required to make significant rerouting to avoid the area of ash cloud coverage. This is leading to some delays, but significant numbers of cancellations have not occurred. For up to date information go to
http://www.eurocontrol.int/corporate/public/news/20100510_air_traffic_situation_1000.html

While areas of high ash concentration which caused disruption over continental Europe yesterday dispersed overnight and all European airports are currently open, an update by European traffic control agency Eurocontrol this morning indicated the cloud could return over the Iberian Peninsula later today. The latest forecasts show areas of higher ash concentration could move in a north-easterly direction from the Atlantic into the Iberian Peninsula this afternoon and flights operating from Portugal may be affected.

TravelGal
05-11-10, 11:56 AM
Update 5/11/10
The cloud of ash continues to drift in the Atlantic. A change in the wind has forced Spain to close down operations at four airports in the Canary Islands and three others on the southern mainland. Iberia Airlines announced that the Spanish airports closed are Jerez, Seville, Badajoz, Ciudad Real, both Tenerife North and South, La Palma and La Gomera and Gran Canaria is also affected by the ash and the air space around the island is closed.

Meanwhile, Morocco closed several airports today as the ash cloud approached northwest Africa. Casablanca and the capital Rabat were closed from 08h00 to 13h00 and Tangier, Tetouan and Essaouria airports were closed from 05h00 to 13h00.

Eurocontrol has the following update as of 10:30 CET "......The areas of high ash concentration on high altitudes in the middle of the North Atlantic is dispersing, easing the previously difficult situation for Trans Atlantic flights...."

Rus'L
05-11-10, 04:41 PM

ICELAND DUSTS OFF THE WELCOME MAT

It got pretty dusty here for a while, but the Iceland Tourist Board wants to assure you that day-to-day life is back to normal after the recent excitement and commotion created by the Eyjafjallajokull volcanic eruption. Roadways in the south that were previously closed to tour buses have re-opened, flights remain on schedule, and all airports are open. Icelandic tour operators have been amending cancellation policies and Icelandair was commended in the media for their swift and efficient re-routing of North American flights. Thankfully the damage from the volcano was minimal and the Icelandic travel community was able to work together to ensure that every traveler's experience went as smoothly as possible.

On-going volcanic activity makes this an ideal opportunity to experience a once-in-a-lifetime world famous eruption. In fact, as you can see below, volcano tours have become, if you'll excuse the expression, explosively popular. Book your trip today.

Iceland never a dull moment!

For information that is regularly updated on the current volcanic situation in Iceland;

http://www.visiticeland.com/DiscoverIceland/WhatsOn/View/neweruptioninsouthiceland

Years ago, we seriously considered having our honeymoon in Iceland.

It's a cheap place to fly to and visit, and has some wonderful nature places to hike, and a nice city as the capital.

Hey, why not go now? It will certainly be interesting.

dando
05-16-10, 12:48 PM
Got ash? (again) (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/05/16/europe.ash.cloud/index.html?hpt=T1) :saywhat:

London, England (CNN) -- Airports in Manchester and Liverpool closed Sunday as a cloud of ash from a volcano in Iceland moved east into England, British air traffic controllers said, but London airports were not affected.

Dublin's airport will close overnight, the Irish Aviation Authority announced Sunday afternoon.

It will shut from 7 p.m. local time (2 p.m. ET) until at least 9 a.m. (4 a.m.) Monday, the agency announced. International flights through Irish airspace will not be affected, it said.

But Waterford airport will close at 11 p.m. (6 p.m.) and four other Irish airports remain closed. Shannon, Cork and Kerry airports are open.

-Kevin

TravelGal
05-18-10, 11:54 AM
5/18/10
Ash Update
Britain's air traffic control said it had agreed on the creation of a new flying zone with Irish officials and aircraft manufacturers to limit the disruption caused by ash emitted by an Icelandic volcano. This new "Time Limited Zone" will be put in place over UK and Irish airspace from midday on Tuesday, allowing airlines to fly through areas of medium ash density that were previously off limits, it said in a statement. The decision came after the grounding of some 1,000 flights yesterday over parts of northern Europe as prevailing winds pushed a cloud of volcanic ash from Iceland across parts of the region. Airports, including Heathrow and Schiphol were closed for several hours.
Britain's Met office said southwesterly winds should push the cloud away from British and northern European airspace on Monday night and Tuesday.

nrc
05-18-10, 02:34 PM
I wonder if aircraft flying in the "Time Limited Zone" will be subject to any extra inspections or maintenance.

Steve99
05-18-10, 06:57 PM
I wonder if aircraft flying in the "Time Limited Zone" will be subject to any extra inspections or maintenance.

If so, I'm sure an Ash Inspection Fee will be added to your ticket.

grungex
05-18-10, 08:46 PM
If they ask to inspect my Ash, I'll be happy to oblige, but they may not be so pleased...

True story -- one of my co-workers does a lot of flying up in Alaska where he now lives, and was told to remove his belt going through security. He obliged by doing so, and by dropping his trousers as well...

dando
05-30-10, 10:55 AM
Oh boy. Here we go again....

LONDON - A second, much larger volcano in Iceland is showing signs that it may be about to erupt, scientists have warned.

Since the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, which caused cancellations of thousands of flights in Europe because of a giant ash cloud, there has been much speculation about neighboring Katla.

An initial research paper by the University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction said: "Analysis of the seismic energy released around Katla over the last decade or so is interpreted as providing evidence of a rising ... intrusive magma body on the western flank of the volcano."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37371442/ns/world_news-europe

-Kevin

TravelGal
06-02-10, 07:21 PM

Good question! This just in from today's agent E-News. Looking at it the other way, it means, no, noone is doing any extra inspections or maintenance. At least, I have not heard of any.

Honeywell To Study Effects Of Volcanic Ash
Honeywell will study the effects of volcanic ash ingestion on its engines. They will analyze the effects of ash ingestion in two of its TPE331 turboprop engines on a plane used to gather scientific data during the recent volcanic eruptions in Iceland. The engines accumulated some 10 hours of operation in the volcanic ash cloud. The aircraft was operated by the UK's Natural Environment Research Council.

TravelGal
06-04-10, 01:05 PM
And the beat goes on.

Easyjet Develops New Technology To Avoid Ash Clouds

Easyjet launched a new system that allows airlines to fly safely around ash clouds. It uses infra-red radar technology, allowing pilots to spot potentially damaging particles within a 100km radius. The system, called Airborne Volcanic Object Identifier and Detector (AVOID), is the first of its kind and aims to prevent a repeat of the chaos caused by the closure of European airspace due to an erupting volcano in Iceland. It will be tested by Airbus on behalf of Easyjet within the next two months. The budget carrier hopes to have the system in operation on 12 planes by the end of the year. The system has the backing of the Civil Aviation Authority, which decides whether it is safe to fly through ash or not.

oddlycalm
06-04-10, 02:34 PM
Honeywell To Study Effects Of Volcanic AshI'm guessing the short to medium term effects are not much due to the hammer simple and nearly bulletproof nature of turbine engines. There won't be any chem reaction with titanium and inconel parts so it's all down to how abrasive it is or isn't.

BTW, there is a long history of "fixing" minor turbine damage on stationary turbine engines (oil patch, etc.) by running polishing media like walnut shells or ground corn cob through with the engine under power. Takes out all those nasty nicks and burrs on the turbine blades without the bother of putting the engine out of service to tear it down. :gomer: I'm guessing that in some dark corner of the world some two bit airline that actually carries people has run a few 50# sacks of walnut shell through without anyone being the worse for wear.

oc

cameraman
08-17-14, 05:20 PM
Uh oh. Here's the earthquake activity for the last 24 hours in Iceland…

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/140817_.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/140817_2045.jpg

Yowza. The good thing is that there is no seismic sign of rising magma but we are looking at 1213 earthquakes in the last 48 hours.

Something is moving:eek::eek::eek:

stroker
08-17-14, 08:40 PM
Could it be that whatisface the moron Congresscritter erred in worrying about Guam "tipping over" when he should have been worried about Iceland?

:p

Gnam
08-18-14, 01:56 AM
Atlantis II. ;)

cameraman
08-18-14, 02:08 PM
It isn't slowing down. 1536 earthquakes in the last 48 hours:eek::eek:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/quakesv2.jpg

Something is moving. Trolls? Godzilla?

SteveH
08-18-14, 02:17 PM
Significant Earthquake Swarm Hits Iceland’s Barðarbunga (http://www.wired.com/2014/08/significant-earthquake-swarm-hits-icelands-bardarbunga/)

a day old, though

:edit:

more current (http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/?p=4714)

Icelandic Met Office has moved the warning level for air traffic up to Orange level (see here). GPS measurement have confirmed magma movements inside Bárðarbunga volcano and this movement is fast.

cameraman
08-18-14, 03:46 PM
This particular volcano is a scary beast. It sits under a glacier and it has seriously erupted twice in the last 2000 years, both times with huge impacts on the entire island. So this has the possibility of being anything from a very minor eruption to one for the history books. This volcano was the source of the largest lava flow of the past 12,000 years about 8500 years ago. Hopefully this stays a boring caldera remodeling...

cameraman
08-18-14, 04:58 PM
Hmmm. That's quite the shift...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvMuWk3IcAArYCu.png

cameraman
08-18-14, 05:03 PM
WEBCAM!!!!

http://vedur2.mogt.is/grimsfjall/webcam/

at the moment partly cloudy with the sun low in the sky...

cameraman
08-18-14, 05:06 PM
and evacuations & area closures in case the glacier starts rapidly melting

http://www.vegagerdin.is/media/umferd-og-faerd/Halendi.gif

cameraman
08-19-14, 03:38 PM
And probably the most important piece of information so we don't relive the Eyjafjallajökull disaster...

413V0bmjvBg

Gnam
08-19-14, 05:27 PM
And probably the most important piece of information so we don't relive the Eyjafjallajökull disaster...
I dub this volcano Mt. Cowabunga. :p

TravelGal
08-19-14, 06:14 PM
I dub this volcano Mt. Cowabunga. :p

:laugh:

I read that we're at DefCon 2 now. (high number = more :eek::eek:)

SteveH
08-20-14, 11:15 AM
Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano rumbles, could threaten air travel (http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/world/europe/iceland-volcano/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

While there's no sign yet of magma moving to the surface, according to Iceland's Meteorological Office, something's definitely up beneath the Earth's surface.

In what the Meteorological Office describes as an "intense earthquake swarm," scientists registered some 2,600 earthquakes between early Saturday morning and Monday evening.

And after the strongest earthquake since 1996 was measured in the area early Monday, an orange aviation alert was posted by Icelandic authorities -- indicating "heightened or escalating unrest with increased potential of eruption."

SteveH
08-23-14, 11:16 AM
ICELAND: SUBGLACIAL ERUPTION IS UNDERWAY (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_ICELAND_VOLCANO?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-23-09-41-28)

Gnam
08-24-14, 12:27 AM
This event needs a title so they can sell t-shirts.

Glacier vs Volcano: Arctic Apocalypse

If they can get a hurricane to join the cast they'll really have something. :thumbup:

TravelGal
08-25-14, 02:18 PM
ICELAND: SUBGLACIAL ERUPTION IS UNDERWAY (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_ICELAND_VOLCANO?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-23-09-41-28)

Newer news. :gomer: Some small edits on my part.

Iceland Lowers Volcano Warning Level
Iceland has lowered its warning code for possible volcanic disruption to the aviation industry to orange from red on Sunday after further analysis of a possible eruption under a glacier found there had been no eruption. The risk level had been raised to red, the highest level on the country's five-point alert system, after authorities detected signs of a small eruption beneath a glacier near the Bárðarbunga [AKA Cowabunga] volcano in central Iceland. The office decided to move the aviation warning from red to orange, it said, but since there was no sign the seismic activity was slowing, an eruption could still not be excluded. All restrictions on aviation had been cancelled. Airspace of 140 by 100 nautical miles above the volcano had been closed to aircraft on Saturday. Restrictions on roads and evacuated areas in the region remain in effect. There have been thousands of small earthquakes over the past week at Bárðarbunga, which is Iceland's largest volcanic system and located under the ice cap of a glacier. It is in a different range to Eyjafjallajökull, which erupted in 2010.

SteveH
08-27-14, 01:37 PM
Earthquakes rock Iceland volcano

(http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26382033/earthquakes-rock-iceland-volcano)

Iceland's Met Office says two earthquakes measuring over magnitude 5 shook the volcano under the vast Vatnajokull glacier on Wednesday. Some 500 quakes have hit the area since midnight.

cameraman
08-27-14, 03:22 PM
The earthquake swarm is moving north-northeast. Figuring out what is going on will keep the geologists busy for quite some time...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/140828.png

So no direct links to Iceland… This is at 10:30 MDT on 8/28

TravelGal
08-28-14, 12:04 PM
From yesterday, further to what SteveH said and cameraman's observation that they'll be figuring this out for a while.

Icelandic Volcano Struck By Biggest Earthquake Yet
A magnitude 5.7 earthquake hit Iceland's Bárðarbunga volcano overnight, the biggest since tremors began 10 days ago, but there is still no sign of an eruption, the country's Meteorological Office said. Intense seismic activity at Iceland's largest volcano system has raised worries that an eruption could cause another ash cloud like that from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in 2010 that caused the closure of much of Europe's airspace for six days. Met Office scientists believe the earthquakes are a result of magma flowing out from under the crater of the volcano, causing a change in pressure.

cameraman
08-29-14, 01:41 AM
First signs of lava. A small fissure type eruption between two of the larger volcanos.

9:30 PM EDT: The London VAAC reports no ash cloud detected so far from this eruption – which isn’t too surprising considering it looks like a basaltic fissure eruption with fountains and lava flows rather than an explosive event.

9:45 PM EDT: Authorities in Iceland say the fissure is ~10 km north of Vatnajökull and currently measures about 100 meters long. The eruption started shortly after midnight on August 29 in Iceland.

10:15 PM EDT: From the looks of the webcam, the eruption looks to be petering out after just about 2 hours.

1:39 AM EDT: Some steam venting from the site of the basaltic fissure.

cameraman
08-29-14, 01:00 PM
Now that the sun is up and helicopters are flying...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwN5g0PIAAE1mxs.jpg:large

SteveH
08-29-14, 01:59 PM
Very cool

SteveH
09-02-14, 11:23 PM
Icelandic volcano produces mile-long lava flows (http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/icelandic-volcano-produces-mile-long-lava-flows/)

Very, very cool

cameraman
09-10-14, 11:59 AM
This fissure eruption is producing an enormous amount of SO2. The levels at Reydarfjordur in Eastern Iceland measured 2600µg/m3 today. That would be the highest highest ever in a country with a long history of volcanos. Health warnings have been posted & people told not to labor outside. Hawaii has an SO2 warning program, the usual governmental color scales going green-yellow-orange-red-purple-and maroon which is labeled hazardous. The cutoff for the highest level is 5.01 ppm SO2, the current levels in Iceland are 1.8X that:eek:

The math on that one is annoying. The US works off of a parts per million standard whereas the EU uses micrograms/cubic meter (ug/m3)

For SO2 the conversion is roughly 285 ug/m3 = 1 ppm.

cameraman
09-29-14, 01:41 AM
This volcano is just insane

zGMHD6-aV34

dando
09-29-14, 11:52 AM
I saw reports over the weekend that Mammoth Lake has a significant increase in activity and Mount St. Helens is waking up. :saywhat:

Gnam
09-29-14, 12:09 PM
There's also that volcano in Japan that's erupting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJU-5vCrJc

cameraman
09-29-14, 12:45 PM
The one in Japan was a steam explosion. There was no magma movements no seismic activity so no warning. Groundwater seeps into the volcano and boils and the pressure builds and more water seeps in and the pressure builds until there is enough steam pressure to blow out a hole and boom.

It is fracking x 1,000,000,000

cameraman
10-28-14, 05:39 PM
Drones!!!

A video of the Bardarbunga volcano on Vimeo, more of a travel video. Kinda like a rich person's home video.

http://vimeo.com/109982536