PDA

View Full Version : Forum Updates

nrc
03-22-10, 02:17 AM
It's time to start thinking about considering the possibility of Forum Updates. Never mind the fact that we're way behind on 3.x updates, vBulletin has their fancy pants 4.0 version out now as well. You can see that on their forums.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php

We've always liked the pared down theme that Wickerbill started with. We think it keeps the forum focused on discussion. Others might say that it makes the place less personal. As we're starting to think about thinking about maybe doing something about forum updates now would be a good time to sound off about what you do or don't like about this forum versus others that you visit.

SteveH
03-22-10, 09:17 AM
I like the minimalistic approach.

I've been on other forums that have so many bells and whistles that it becomes a bother to try and figure out what is what and how it all works.

Elmo T
03-22-10, 09:32 AM
I like the clean feel. I can't think of anything I've seen elsewhere where I thought "that is what OC needs".

dando
03-22-10, 09:38 AM
Leaner loads better. I'm on a board or two that have the fancy sigs and avatars, etc. and they load way too slowly and suffer other performance issues. Keep it lean and clean, IMO. As we used to say in our dialup ISP world: speed kills. :cool:

-Kevin

Indy
03-22-10, 11:36 AM
I really like the feel of this forum. I think the personalities come through even better when there are minimal distractions to the actual words written.

Someone I know :gomer: recently updated his forum to the latest software, and it really destroyed the feel of the place. His patrons are up in arms over it. :laugh:

grungex
03-22-10, 11:53 AM
I like it as is. The only change that might be nice, if possible, is to add the quick reply window at the bottom of each thread.

G.
03-22-10, 12:38 PM
maybe the answer already exists, but any way to make it more phone friendly?

Too much scrolling required.

nrc
03-22-10, 01:23 PM
There are mobile themes available. I can look into making one of those available as an option.

TravelGal
03-22-10, 02:47 PM
I also like the way this works. There is a lot to be said for having the discussion, not the graphics, be the purpose of the forum.

Don't know if I'm thinking of the same forum Indy is talking about but one recent upgrade is so shiny it tells you you're not signed in when you are. And other wonderful improvements.

cameraman
03-22-10, 04:44 PM
Please don't fix what isn't broken. Take a look at the absolute unmitigated disaster that is Smackforum now very unhappily running on vBulletin 4.0.2. If a phone-friendly skin is available for 3.7.0 then it would be great to add but the look, feel and function of this forum is superior to any other that I am aware of.

extramundane
03-22-10, 05:19 PM
If phone-friendly is the prevalent desire, http://www.tapatalk.com/ seems to work well for iPhone, BB and Android.

cameraman
03-22-10, 06:08 PM
Tapatalk supports vBulletin 3.7 ;)

Steve99
03-30-10, 06:45 PM
I like the clean style of the forum, although some small avatars and sigs wouldn't hurt that too much IMO. I can't stand forums that allow huge avatars and sigs though.

Just downloaded Tapatalk to my Droid. Does a forum have to be "Tapatalk-enabled" in order for it to work?

Cam
03-30-10, 07:04 PM
Just downloaded Tapatalk to my Droid. Does a forum have to be "Tapatalk-enabled" in order for it to work?

Yes.

Insomniac
05-02-10, 12:02 PM
Another vote for minimal here.

devilmaster
05-02-10, 01:22 PM
since I just got the milestone to be more productive with my businesses, I'd like the tapatalk feature as well to waste time on my phone... :gomer:

JLMannin
05-03-10, 10:17 PM
I like it the way it is. Loads fast, I don't have to search for buttons to do what I want to do, and there are no ****ing avatars. I detest avatars.

Methanolandbrats
05-03-10, 11:12 PM
Don't change it.

oddlycalm
05-06-10, 05:44 PM
Minimalist is good in forum software and race cars :thumbup:

oc

Indy
05-07-10, 07:27 AM
Minimalist is good in forum software and race cars.

But not wimmens. :gomer:

opinionated ow
05-07-10, 08:06 AM
But not wimmens. :gomer:

Depends on what you like ;)

I'd rather trim and athletic than enormous norks :p

ChampcarShark
05-07-10, 05:23 PM
I may not post often, but lurk most of the time. specially during the week.

This site rocks, keep it up. This is the perfect example were less is more, way more I would say.

cameraman
09-22-10, 01:40 PM
There are mobile themes available. I can look into making one of those available as an option.

Now that I have an Android phone that mobile theme has suddenly become important to me. Seeing (or not as the case may be) this entire web page rendered an inch and a half wide is kind of cute but utterly useless.

Andrew Longman
09-22-10, 02:20 PM
Now that I have an Android phone that mobile theme has suddenly become important to me. Seeing (or not as the case may be) this entire web page rendered an inch and a half wide is kind of cute but utterly useless.
This is probably unactionable feedback but after spending 2 hours on tech support to troubleshool my Storm1 I'm thinking of upgrading phone. I've drooled at the speed of Trevors Android and that may be an option. No decisions yet but I can see that viewing the web from my phone is in all our futures.

dando
09-22-10, 03:59 PM
I can see that viewing the web from my phone is in all our futures.

I just hope you can figger out the Youtubes. :gomer: :p The Galaxy S series of Android phones by Sammy are quite nice. Droid or Droid X are only necessary if you need a keyboard (IMO).

-Kevin

EDwardo
09-22-10, 07:13 PM
Is there a Delta Wing version? It would save OW forums!;)

Just kidding.

Keep it lean and clean.

cameraman
05-08-11, 11:02 AM
Is there any possibility of getting tapatalk enabled on Off Camber? It would make things vastly easier to read on a mobile interface.

devilmaster
05-08-11, 03:42 PM
Is there any possibility of getting tapatalk enabled on Off Camber? It would make things vastly easier to read on a mobile interface.

If its free and easy, can i say ditto?

nrc
05-09-11, 01:17 AM
I suppose I need to make some progress on getting the forum updated. :gomer: I really wanted to do it as part of a complete forum move and I haven't made any progress on that.

But as for mobile access, Tapatalk doesn't look too hard to add. Are any of the Tapatalk apps free? I'm a little puzzled at their angle. Are they putting ads in the forum, or anything like that?

Any thoughts on tapatalk vs something that automatically applies a mobile skin for mobile users?

cameraman
05-09-11, 05:57 AM
The tapatalk app costs me $2.99, there is no charge to the forum. That $2.99 covers both my iPhone and my iPad. There is no advertising. It also does not support smilies which when reading Smackforum can be considered an asset. Cam set it up on smackforum a while ago (so how hard can it be:p). You could ask him his experience with it. Tapatallk's web page says it supports this version of vBulletin so it would not have to be changed which is great because this site is far easier on the eyes than Smackforum which is running vBulletin 4.0.2.

To my eyes 4.0.2 is major downgrade...

WickerBill
05-09-11, 01:36 PM
This site is a major improvement over *any* out-of-the-box vBulletin. It is intentionally fairly stripped down for readability. I suppose some testing would have to happen to ensure tapa worked correctly...

Elmo T
05-09-11, 02:24 PM
I like the bare bones approach. If there was to be a change - something to improve readability on the portable devices would be sweet.

cameraman
05-09-11, 03:27 PM
Unless there is some maintenance reason to change things I see no reason to change anything about the site beyond readability issues on a mobile device.

TRDfan
05-09-11, 08:40 PM
It's fine the way it is.

devilmaster
05-09-11, 08:45 PM
I know from memory that WB and nrc have mentioned that there have been a few 'updates' over the years... Its always been back-end stuff as the look and functionality of the site for users hasn't changed much (or at all) over the years...

One would assume that this update would be no different....

Cam
05-09-11, 10:50 PM
I suppose I need to make some progress on getting the forum updated. :gomer: I really wanted to do it as part of a complete forum move and I haven't made any progress on that.

But as for mobile access, Tapatalk doesn't look too hard to add. Are any of the Tapatalk apps free? I'm a little puzzled at their angle. Are they putting ads in the forum, or anything like that?

Any thoughts on tapatalk vs something that automatically applies a mobile skin for mobile users?

Tapatalk just requires an additional directory in the servers root directory that has the "plugin". Then one line is added to the header of the vB code.

There is a free read only tapatalk app. The pay app gives the added functionality on the mobile device of replying and image views.

nrc
05-10-11, 03:40 AM
Seemed pretty straight-forward so I added it. I don't think it's working right - at least it's not on my phone. Let me know. I'm guessing the fact that we're on an old, old RC for 3.7 is causing a problem.

cameraman
05-10-11, 10:48 AM
It seems to be working just fine on my iPhone. I'm posting this using tapatalk.

cameraman
05-10-11, 10:55 AM
Hmmm. There was some kind of hiccup with that last post but it did go through. I'll try again.

cameraman
05-10-11, 11:04 AM
There seems to be a bug in the posting routine. I write the post and then hit send, I get an error message that states that I have to wait 45 seconds between posts. ??? The post has gone through, it seems like the software is trying to double post but the timer is blocking the second post. All you have to do is hit cancel and things clear up. The post will have gone through. A glitch but not the end of the world. I'm using tapatalk to post this.

Cam
05-10-11, 11:16 AM
Working for me.

Cam
05-10-11, 11:19 AM
There seems to be a bug in the posting routine. I write the post and then hit send, I get an error message that states that I have to wait 45 seconds between posts. ??? The post has gone through, it seems like the software is trying to double post but the timer is blocking the second post. All you have to do is hit cancel and things clear up. The post will have gone through. A glitch but not the end of the world. I'm using tapatalk to post this.

Yup. Got the same. Dont get that at smack. Maybe 3.x specific?

cameraman
05-10-11, 11:19 AM
You using an iPhone or android?

cameraman
05-10-11, 11:26 AM
Yeah buggy, I get two different messages. One says I need to wait 45 seconds the other says that the server is having issues with me. That is the term it used, the server has issues with you...

It's pretty random as to which message I get. If you ignore it and just hit cancel the result will be your post made it.

Cam
05-10-11, 11:37 AM
Yeah buggy, I get two different messages. One says I need to wait 45 seconds the other says that the server is having issues with me. That is the term it used, the server has issues with you...

It's pretty random as to which message I get. If you ignore it and just hit cancel the result will be your post made it.

iPhone. Last post was from laptop. Going to try this from the phone.

Cam
05-10-11, 11:39 AM
Yep. Got the unknown error that time but it posted anyway. Richard, seems like the plugin might not be the right version.

racer2c
05-10-11, 01:22 PM
Please log as failed deployment and initiate roll back. Update the change request and attach post mortum documentation. Do we know why this failed UAT/QA? How did this get into production!?!?

Sorry...channeling work. :D

nrc
05-10-11, 01:56 PM
Yep. Got the unknown error that time but it posted anyway. Richard, seems like the plugin might not be the right version.

I re-checked the plugin version and it appears correct. They download the same file for both 3.7 and 3.8 so I really suspect that it's just a problem with this being a very early version of 3.7.

Based on the feedback that there's no burning need for other new geegaws or dooddads I'll try to get an update to the last of the 3.7 releases to see if that fixes it.

nrc
05-10-11, 01:57 PM
Please log as failed deployment and initiate roll back. Update the change request and attach post mortum documentation. Do we know why this failed UAT/QA? How did this get into production!?!?

Sorry...channeling work. :D

QA is for old fart losers who don't have a facebook page to maintain and suck at blame. Sorry, channeling developers. :p

racer2c
05-10-11, 02:00 PM
QA is for old fart losers who don't have a facebook page to maintain and suck at blame. Sorry, channeling developers. :p

:rofl:

chop456
05-11-11, 02:04 AM
I never saw a production change authorization, either. My suspicion is that it was deployed from the wrong branch. Should have been running in simulation after passing QA, anyway.

We'll need to have a stand-up in the morning. :tony:

:yuck:

G.
05-11-11, 12:42 PM
Who just joined?

Hi, it's G.

I'm working from home today.

zbJAJEtNUX0

nrc
05-18-11, 06:14 PM
Ran through a test update to the latest release of 3.7 the other night with no obvious problems. Don't be surprised if the forum is down for a bit one of these nights while I run through that. We'll see if that makes the tapatalk thing any happier.

Kiwifan
05-20-11, 04:13 AM
We'll see if that makes the tapatalk thing any happier.

Will we need to brush up on our Morse Code again? :p

Good luck Boss!

nrc
05-20-11, 04:36 AM
OK. Now on 3.7.7 and the Tapatalk app is working much better for me.

The forum seems a bit sluggish right now but I'm not sure if that's really a forum issue or just Internet traffic.

I know the drop-down that normally appears on the poster's name is broken. Must be a template issue. I'll investigate that tomorrow.

Let me know if anything else is broken.

KLang
05-20-11, 08:13 AM
Had to sign in again but everything seems normal and speed is good.

dando
05-20-11, 09:57 AM
Working well for me. Damn you for making me log in again. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

devilmaster
05-20-11, 11:29 AM
Is there a running count on how many had to email their passwords to themselves? ;)

EDwardo
05-20-11, 11:33 AM
Is there a running count on how many had to email their passwords to themselves? ;)

That is one of the nice features of Firefox.

devilmaster
05-20-11, 11:34 AM
That is one of the nice features of Firefox.

Spoilsport. :p ;)

cameraman
05-20-11, 02:42 PM
And now for the acid test, what happens when I post this...

cameraman
05-20-11, 02:45 PM
Meh. I got the same, you must wait 45 seconds between posts, error that I got before. It really doesn't matter because the post goes through anyway. You just cancel out of the screen and go on with your day.

Insomniac
05-28-11, 01:36 PM
OK. Now on 3.7.7 and the Tapatalk app is working much better for me.

The forum seems a bit sluggish right now but I'm not sure if that's really a forum issue or just Internet traffic.

I know the drop-down that normally appears on the poster's name is broken. Must be a template issue. I'll investigate that tomorrow.

Let me know if anything else is broken.

I just noticed today nothing that would cause something to expand (clicking the member name, search, etc.) expands in Chrome. Even clicking the stuff doesn't lead anywhere.

devilmaster
05-28-11, 01:39 PM
I just noticed today nothing that would cause something to expand (clicking the member name, search, etc.) expands in Chrome. Even clicking the stuff doesn't lead anywhere.

I've been having the same prob on the computer of family i'm visiting. vista with chrome...

nrc
05-28-11, 04:27 PM
Thanks, I saw that when I originally updated (FF on Linux) but then it seemed to work so I assumed it was just some javascript that was cached from the old version. Now I'm seeing it again.

I will investigate.

TravelGal
06-05-11, 06:00 PM
Thanks, I saw that when I originally updated (FF on Linux) but then it seemed to work so I assumed it was just some javascript that was cached from the old version. Now I'm seeing it again.

I will investigate.

I'm on FF and the drop down from the names still does not work. It's the only way I've ever sent a PM so I miss it.

nrc
06-06-11, 06:49 PM
I'm on FF and the drop down from the names still does not work. It's the only way I've ever sent a PM so I miss it.

Sorry, I'm having some issues tracking down exactly where the javascript is busted. It's a puzzle because I don't think I touched that part of it and it does the same thing with the out of the box skin.

devilmaster
06-06-11, 07:39 PM
TG:
try double clicking... the problem i was experiencing on vista works on a double click.

KLang
06-06-11, 08:10 PM
Still no joy with double clicking on Firefox on Mac. Right click and 'open in new tab' does open it up though.

TravelGal
06-09-11, 12:34 AM
TG:
try double clicking... the problem i was experiencing on vista works on a double click.

Yep. I just did the double click, somewhat by mistake. When it worked, I did it again on purpose and again it worked. I came here to report a "my bad" for my previous comment.

KLang
06-20-11, 12:38 PM
The link to the search box doesn't work either. Firefox on a Mac.

TravelGal
06-20-11, 01:12 PM
Also Firefox on a PC. Noticed it last night trying to search for a previous thread.

dando
06-23-11, 10:34 AM
Yup. Tried it on Windoze 7 in both FF 4 and IE 8. No worky. :(

-Kevin

dando
06-23-11, 05:09 PM
I also noticed that the autofill on PMs has stopped working. IE 8 showed JS issues in the status bar.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; Media Center PC 5.0; SLCC1; MS-RTC LM 8)
Timestamp: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:08:23 UTC

Line: 11
Char: 3757
Code: 0
URI: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js?v=377

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-23-11, 11:26 PM
I also noticed that the autofill on PMs has stopped working. IE 8 showed JS issues in the status bar.

-Kevin

That's the same error in the Chrome JS console. But at least it gives the char # since everything is on one line.

G.
07-01-11, 01:19 AM
I'm lost without a search.

FF on XP. Right click, open in new tab works.

TravelGal
07-02-11, 04:19 PM
I'm lost without a search.

FF on XP. Right click, open in new tab works.

Wow, you must have been desperate. I meant to say, "YES! That works for me too. (FF with Windoz 7) Thank you!"

cameraman
07-02-11, 06:23 PM
Right click, open in new tab works in Safari on the Mac side too.

trish
07-10-11, 11:24 PM
You can now search, but only from the search link at the top of the page. And you have to be on the main page.

trish
07-24-11, 11:35 AM
Search isn't working at all for me now.

chop456
11-04-11, 04:53 AM

Saw this taped over someone's screen at work yesterday as a prank and thought of this thread. :D

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10112937.jpg

trish
11-08-11, 08:05 PM
Sorry, I'm having some issues tracking down exactly where the javascript is busted. It's a puzzle because I don't think I touched that part of it and it does the same thing with the out of the box skin.

Search is fixed. Thank you! :)

nrc
11-08-11, 08:56 PM
Thank Insomniac, he came up with the fix.

trish
11-09-11, 06:14 AM
Thank you Insomniac!

Insomniac
01-02-12, 03:50 PM
You're welcome! My last act before disappearing for a bit. :D