PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see Randy on Windtunnel?

stroker
03-21-10, 11:50 PM
Color me unimpressed...

cameraman
03-21-10, 11:53 PM
Randy who???

trish
03-21-10, 11:59 PM
The Rodeo clown.

No, I didn't see it.

pchall
03-22-10, 07:21 AM
Ramblin' Randy from the Rodeo Q&A (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/autoracing/qampa-with-indy-racing-league-ceo-randy-bernard/1081641)

At least he's honest about his qualifications:

I think this could be one of the most defining decisions that I'm a part of for the next decade. When you're having to first of all figure out whether you want an open source (multiple manufacturers) or a sole source, and then what type of engine, what type of chassis. These are huge questions. All I can tell you at this point is that I'm not qualified to answer one part of that.

Condensing and co-promotions. Yes, that will add value. :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that sanction agreements are always in the best interest of the league and I would like to see possibly co-promotions and I'd like to see possibly the bottom two events dropped every year so that we continue to make sure that we are bringing better value every single year to our fans.

NismoZ
03-22-10, 12:31 PM
That wasn't condensing, that was The Road To INDY! Drop the bottom 2 events every year and in 9 years Indy is the only one left!:rofl: Hell, no way it lasts that long anyway.

Methanolandbrats
03-22-10, 01:28 PM
Why do you people follow that ****? I did'nt even know the IRL had a new leader, much less GAF about what he has to say.

cameraman
03-22-10, 01:42 PM
Well either this guy fixes open wheel or it will go away forever. So keeping tabs on what he is thinking about doing is pretty much the only thing left to do.

Methanolandbrats
03-22-10, 02:10 PM
Well either this guy fixes open wheel or it will go away forever. So keeping tabs on what he is thinking about doing is pretty much the only thing left to do.

Are there odds on whether he fixes it or not? :rofl:

cameraman
03-22-10, 02:18 PM
Slim to none but it ain't like we have any choice in the matter.

Methanolandbrats
03-22-10, 02:47 PM
Slim to none but it ain't like we have any choice in the matter.

The only choice we have as fans is to forget it even exists and ignore it. I have no idea who is driving what or where they race next. I don't find out anything about it except for what I read on here. It feels good to finally be over it and not miss what was.

oddlycalm
03-22-10, 04:52 PM
The easy answer on how to fix it is to approve all of the proposed chassis that meet basic dimension, weight and safety specs, define an engine spec that would allow multiple suppliers and restore some level of interest in the proceedings. The cost of the car is irrelevant of your series doesn't have an audience.

They won't do any of that of course...

oc

mueber
03-22-10, 05:02 PM

That's about all you need to know.

I doubt I will ever resume my interest in American open wheel, and I don't know if Randy is a good or bad idea, but he's the only game in town. I hope he succeeds, but I am not going to help him do it.

pchall
03-23-10, 09:30 AM
The easy answer on how to fix it is to approve all of the proposed chassis that meet basic dimension, weight and safety specs, define an engine spec that would allow multiple suppliers and restore some level of interest in the proceedings. The cost of the car is irrelevant of your series doesn't have an audience.

They won't do any of that of course...

oc

IMS would never give up the chance for all those fees and kickbacks from "official" suppliers to the IRL.

Methanolandbrats
03-23-10, 09:52 AM
AOW is no longer a major sport, it's just a sideshow/hobby. Multiple manufacturers, sponsors, etc... only invest in entities that are growing and have expanding market share. That is why it is over.

Andrew Longman
03-23-10, 10:50 AM
Yes I did see a bit of him.

It has been two days and I still can't come up with anything meaningful to say about it.

The sport is simply roadkill drying in the afternoon sun. After shocking us all with the genius that was Gene Simmons, nothing is going to impress me.

Sean Malone
03-23-10, 11:01 AM
AOW is no longer a major sport, it's just a sideshow/hobby. Multiple manufacturers, sponsors, etc... only invest in entities that are growing and have expanding market share. That is why it is over.

yep...it's below professional bullriding. That says it all.

TKGAngel
03-23-10, 01:21 PM
The Cowboy announces formation of "Iconic" committee (http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/72066/indy_racing_league_to_establish_advisory_committee _to_aid_in_search_for_new_izod_indycar_series_car. aspx) to hep with the search for a new car.

What's the old saying: A camel is a horse drawn by committee?

Sean Malone
03-23-10, 01:49 PM
The Cowboy announces formation of "Iconic" committee (http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/72066/indy_racing_league_to_establish_advisory_committee _to_aid_in_search_for_new_izod_indycar_series_car. aspx) to hep with the search for a new car.

What's the old saying: A camel is a horse drawn by committee?

Even their acronym sux. :)

devilmaster
03-23-10, 02:02 PM
And this committee is chaired by General Bill Looney?!?!?

Oh come on :rofl::rofl:

oddlycalm
03-23-10, 05:51 PM
And this committee is chaired by General Bill Looney?!?!?

Oh come on :rofl::rofl:

General Bull Goose Looney and the Iconics. Sounds like a satire rock band / comedy act. :D

The EARL stared with delusion and the delusion persists. :tony:

oc

RichK
03-23-10, 06:10 PM
Multiple chassis' and multiple engines would get me to try to watch on TV....but they are a FAR cry from getting me back to the old spend-$1500-on-three-days-at-Long-Beach frame of mind.

For now, I don't follow at all other than the occasional lurk on a forum. I almost switched from DirecTV to U-verse last month, but not because I wasn't getting the IRL, it was because I wasn't going to get cycling!

pchall
03-23-10, 06:46 PM
The advisory board will include a league representative, a team owner, an engine expert, a marketer/promoter and a racing engineer. The project will be named the ICONIC (Innovative, Competitive, Open-Wheel, New, Industry-Relevant, Cost-Effective) IZOD IndyCar Series Advisory Committee.

The were really reaching around for the acronym.

oddlycalm
03-23-10, 07:16 PM
Multiple chassis' and multiple engines would get me to try to watch on TV....
For me to watch they would also have to get rid of that broadcast production company. :yuck: No way I'm going to listen to Boob Jenkins and Robby The Donut Hole blather their scripted idiocy regardless of how good the racing became.

In the mean time Kevin Cameron's observations on the ruination of AMA Pro racing by the Frances work pretty well for the EARL and TG's delusion.

After all, the public don't know or care--they'll come crowding in because we'll deliver "close racin' "We'll create the reality we want."

None of it worked. The steam had left the boiler
Cameron walks away (http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/Feb/100226kevincameron.htm)

The steam has indeed left the boiler. The one thing the IRL, Rolex, and AMA pro have in common is no audience. For anyone that thinks dumbing down the racing is the answer, the evidence is in.

oc

Andrew Longman
03-23-10, 08:16 PM
After shocking us all with the genius that was Gene Simmons, nothing is going to impress me.

The four-star general was Commander of Air Education and Training Command at Randolph Air Force Base in Texas and responsible for the recruiting, training and education of Air Force personnel.

OK I take back my earlier comment. This guy is clearly the right man for the job. :shakehead

Why can't these gomers just put on a race and offer a nice fat purse and let others who know what they are doing figure out the rest. They could race with a DP01 and a Cosworth tomorrow and the economics might even work out. And what has been going on for more than TWO years with the new chassis? What about the submissions from Swift, Dallara, et al? Clearly they are incapable of making a decision so they form another committee.

Oh, and Looney III? Another third generation genius? Aging rocker frauds, rodeo clown and some guy probably straight out of Dr. Strangelove. OK, maybe that last shot is a little unfair, but he has no business doing this job and I can only think no one else wants it.

RichK
03-23-10, 08:56 PM
For me to watch they would also have to get rid of that broadcast production company. :yuck: No way I'm going to listen to Boob Jenkins and Robby The Donut Hole blather...

:laugh: I forgot about them!

Badger
03-23-10, 11:59 PM
Are there odds on whether he fixes it or not? :rofl:

I like his chances better then when Toneknee was in charge.

dando
03-24-10, 11:29 AM
I missed it. Did he look like this?

http://www.usm.edu/pr/cms/images/stories/2008/Febuary/rodeoclown.jpg

Checkout the cross-promotion opportunities. :gomer:

-Kevin

SteveH
03-24-10, 11:41 AM
It bothers me somewhat that the League has a fascination with men wearing makeup.

http://www.htzfm.com/files/htzfm/images/gene_0.jpg

emjaya
03-24-10, 07:54 PM
Who's next?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/moviemaniac13/Tim-Curry-Frank74.jpg

High Sided
03-24-10, 08:27 PM
as in the last 15 years mark me down to wait and see. sadly the sport i grew to love was abolished in less than a year.