PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CR**

NismoZ
03-08-10, 12:18 PM
:eek: Stirling Moss fell 3 floors down an elevator shaft (in his home!) over the weekend, suffering serious injuries! Broken bones in his ankles, feet and back! Shades of Spa, '62. Was it Spa? (it was Goodwood, sorry) Was it '62? (yep) I clearly remember the newspaper shots of the rescue crew propping up his head as they cut him out of the car. Not his last race but it might as well have been. No fire or he'd have been a goner. I read he is OK but hurting. Whew! Do NOT walk into a "lift" while reading the morning paper. It might not BE there!

Hard Driver
03-08-10, 04:05 PM
Wow, that is a pretty big malfunction:

Autosport says the lift was on the 4th floor when the 3rd floor doors opened.:eek:

Indy
03-08-10, 08:58 PM
That's just awful. I hope he makes a full recovery!

High Sided
03-08-10, 11:27 PM
time to sue williams :eek:

a9C2T0ObRzU

NismoZ
03-09-10, 11:24 AM
Whoa, so that's where he landed, eh? Nice lift...when it works.:(

gerhard911
03-09-10, 01:57 PM
I got this in an email update I receive from The Motorsports Collector (caps not mine)

TO ALL MY FRIENDS (AND ALL THOSE WHO ARE KIND ENOUGH TO CARE),

StirlingMoss DEAR ALL OF YOU,

THE LAST FEW DAYS HAVE BEEN QUITE FANTASTIC AND I'D LIKE TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR YOUR KIND THOUGHTS, MESSAGES AND OTHER PARAPHERNALIA.

ON SATURDAY EVENING, I WAS AT HOME WITH SUSIE, ELLIOT AND HELEN AND ABOUT TO LEAVE FOR A CURRY, FOR WHICH WE WERE RUNNING LATE. I ASKED HELEN TO JOIN ME IN THE LIFT TO GO DOWNSTAIRS, BECAUSE SUSIE AND ELLIOT WERE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO RIDE IN MY LIFT. I OPENED THE DOOR AND STEPPED INTO THE LIFT, WITH HELEN READY TO FOLLOW ME, WHICH SHE NEVER DID. THAT IS BECAUSE THE LIFT HAD STOPPED ON THE FLOOR ABOVE AND INCORRECTLY ALLOWED THE DOOR BENEATH IT TO OPEN.

STILL CHATTING TO HELEN, I STEPPED INTO THE OPEN DOORWAY-- AND FELL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFT SHAFT.

THE AMBULANCE WAS CALLED AND ARRIVED AT RACING SPEED, WHEREUPON THEY PUT ME ONTO A SERIES OF ABOUT 10 STRETCHERS! HAVING FINALLY SETTLED ON WHAT MUST HAVE SEEMED A GOOD ONE, I WAS TAKEN, ALONG WITH MY FAMILY TO THE ROYAL LONDON HOSPITAL IN WHITECHAPEL, WHERE THEY USED ANOTHER BATCH OF SIMILAR STRETCHERS!

THEY DID A GOOD JOB OF HELPING ME, BUT WERE UNABLE TO DO THE REQUISITE SURGERY. SO, ON THE SUNDAY, I WAS MOVED TO THE PRINCESS GRACE, WHERE A FANTASTICALLY EFFICIENT, KIND AND AMUSING STAFF DID ALL THE JOBS.

I AM NOW IN A LOVELY ROOM, NUMBER 222, AND WITH THE HELP OF ELLIOT AND THE PORTER, AM FINALLY ON THE EMAIL. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY SEND THIS TO YOU, BUT I WILL TRY!

NOW FOR THE FUTURE... WHICH I CAN SEE WITH SUSIE, HELEN AND ELLIOT AROUND ME, IS GOING TO BE A BLOODY STRUGGLE!

AS SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW, SUSIE AND I ARE BOOKED ON A SEABOURN CRUISE FOR OUR 30TH ANNIVERSARY, NEXT MONTH. I HAVE TO CROSS THE HURDLE OF GETTING THE DOCORS, AND FAMLY HANGERS-ON, TO ALLOW ME TO THIN MY BLOOD, IN ORDER TO AVOID ANY ISSUES INVOLVING DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS.

IT WILL BE SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS FROM SUNDAY BEFORE I WILL ABLE TO PUT ANY LOAD ON MY FEET. THEREFORE I'M FACING MY SIXTH OR SEVENTH REDUCTION TO A WHEELCHAIR (SUSIE SAYS SHE'S STOPPED COUNTING) WHICH I MUST ADMIT, IS RATHER BORING. THE GOOD NEWS IS; THAT I DIDN'T SELL THE WHEELCHAIR AFTER THE LAST SHUNT!

THE WHOLE THING IS A REAL PAIN IN THE ARSE, IF I HAD LOOKED WHERE I WAS GOING, I WOULDN'T BE HERE AT ALL, SO IT'S MY OWN DAMN FAULT.

I HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY OVERWHELMED BY YOUR COLLECTIVE CONCERN AND KINDNESS.

I CAN TELL YOU THAT CURRENTLY I'M LYING IN HOSPITAL, TAKING DEEP BREATHS, LIFTING ONE ARM WITH THE OTHER, RAISING MY LEGS (WITH PLASTERS ON THE END) AND DOING ALL I CAN DO TO KEEP MYSELF AS MOBILE AS POSSIBLE, BUT, HAVING SAID THAT, I'M NOT YET WINNING THE BATTLE.

I'M NOT SURE WHEN I'LL BE ABLE TO GO HOME BUT THE LIFT HAS TO WORK, OTHERWISE I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET UPSTAIRS IN MY WHEELCHAIR, MAYBE I'LL GO AND STAY WITH HELEN AND ELLIOT FOR A WHILE...

THIS REALLY HAS OPENED MY EYES TO HOW KIND ALL MY FRIENDS ARE, OVER AN OLD EX- RACING DRIVER, FLOGGING A FADING IMAGE!

I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON,

MANY THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS,

CIAO

TrueBrit
03-09-10, 03:50 PM
What an amazing bloke!!

indyfan31
03-09-10, 04:06 PM
What a wonderful (and sharp) sense of humor. :thumbup:

mueber
03-10-10, 10:47 AM
How gracious. If he was an American, he'd call in the lawyers.

oddlycalm
03-10-10, 03:10 PM
Wow, hard to imagine having to bounce back from this kind of injury at his age. :( Sorry this happened to Moss and I hope for the best for him. He was one of my early racing heroes and he came out and drove some demo laps at Waterford Hills in a borrowed D Jag when I was a kid.

I watched my dad rehab from a rock climbing fall in his mid-60's where he crushed both lower extremities (very bad judgment on his part) and it was brutal. Lower extremities take a long time to heal and the elderly lose muscle tone quickly. He's 90 now and those injuries are still causing him trouble.

oc

NismoZ
03-10-10, 07:35 PM
My favorite Moss story, even better than the Mercedes/Jenkinson/'55 Mille Miglia tale, was the 1000k at the Nurbergring in '59, I'd guess. His co-driver was Jack Fairman and though an OK driver it was Moss who had to take over and run the Aston back up to the front. Probably a R&T article. Do they archive over there? I'd love to read that again. A real Superman story.:)

emjaya
03-10-10, 08:18 PM
My favorite Moss story, even better than the Mercedes/Jenkinson/'55 Mille Miglia tale, was the 1000k at the Nurbergring in '59, I'd guess. His co-driver was Jack Fairman and though an OK driver it was Moss who had to take over and run the Aston back up to the front. Probably a R&T article. Do they archive over there? I'd love to read that again. A real Superman story.:)

Moss won the year before as well (1958) with Brabham. In Brabham's words, "He drove 36 out of the 44 lap distance, which is why we won."

He had won the 1956 race and went on to win in 1960 with Gurney as well. 4 in 5 years.

I CAN TELL YOU THAT CURRENTLY I'M LYING IN HOSPITAL, TAKING DEEP BREATHS, LIFTING ONE ARM WITH THE OTHER, RAISING MY LEGS (WITH PLASTERS ON THE END) AND DOING ALL I CAN DO TO KEEP MYSELF AS MOBILE AS POSSIBLE, BUT, HAVING SAID THAT, I'M NOT YET WINNING THE BATTLE.

He doesn't pull any punches about his condition, but the news is given so cheerfully, like it is no big thing.

pchall
03-10-10, 09:23 PM
He doesn't pull any punches about his condition, but the news is given so cheerfully, like it is no big thing.

I remember reading everything about Moss I could get from the library system when I was a kid because he seemed like a superman. One thing that has always stuck with me was his resilience. Late in his career he had two dreadful accidents but showed the same spirit and humor.

If you've never read about Moss look for this book:

All but my life Stirling Moss face to face with Ken W. Purdy
Moss, Stirling, 1929-
Publisher: Dutton,
Pub date: 1963.
Pages: 239 p. :

The book started as a series of interviews for Playboy and developed into a very candid full blown autobiographical account done in cooperation with Ken Purdy -- one of the greats of motorsports journalism. [Yes, there used to be great racing writers -- we've only got the dregs left.]

eiregosod
07-11-10, 07:43 AM
my guess is that ole Sterling made a sterling recovery :o

from the BBc website: Sir Stirling Moss on the situation at Red Bull: "I think what Mark Webber should do is say 'OK, give him [Vettel] the best parts, and I'll go out and beat him anyway'."

BarillaGirl
07-12-10, 09:06 AM
I think I just fell in love with Sir Stirling Moss. What a guy!

cameraman
07-12-10, 12:13 PM
Did you notice him scrambling (in an 80 year old sort of way) to get away from the champagne on the podium:laugh:

TrueBrit
07-12-10, 01:44 PM
Did you notice him scrambling (in an 80 year old sort of way) to get away from the champagne on the podium:laugh:

Yup I saw that..we moved pretty sharpish for an old geezer..:rofl: