PDA

View Full Version : No love for the Daytona 200?

stroker
03-05-10, 11:11 PM
I'm watching--a near inferno on the first pit stop. Heart-stopping tension waiting for about 5 gallons of spilled gas to ignite.

The racing is incredible, 600cc or not...

Steve99
03-05-10, 11:48 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

NismoZ
03-06-10, 03:39 PM
Who ARE those guys?:confused:

stroker
03-07-10, 10:57 AM
The Superbike race was good, at least...

High Sided
03-07-10, 03:50 PM
poor tommy really lost out in race 2 :(. i like that his sponsor supplies him with 3 hot chics to lesson the blow of 2 second place finishes. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
03-07-10, 05:08 PM
poor tommy really lost out in race 2 :(. i like that his sponsor supplies him with 3 hot chics to lesson the blow of 2 second place finishes. :thumbup:
Yeah, the girls posture like there are millions of people watching and like he's the big kahuna. :gomer:

In reality 50% of the brands competing have departed and along with them most of the fans. This is another race series headed for obscurity. :(

oc

opinionated ow
03-07-10, 06:56 PM
I'm watching--a near inferno on the first pit stop. Heart-stopping tension waiting for about 5 gallons of spilled gas to ignite.

The racing is incredible, 600cc or not...

Pffft....it they're only 600s now they're no longer superbikes anywa

stroker
03-08-10, 07:29 PM
4% slower on 40% less displacement isn't too shabby...

opinionated ow
03-08-10, 07:52 PM

Doesn't matter, the FIM sets a series of regulations for Superbikes that are utilised all around the world including (until the Daytona mafia got involved) the USA. If you don't meet them you're not a superbike category, just as Australian Formula 1 wasn't Formula 1 when it ran to F5000 rules.

stroker
03-09-10, 05:08 PM
Doesn't matter, the FIM sets a series of regulations for Superbikes that are utilised all around the world including (until the Daytona mafia got involved) the USA. If you don't meet them you're not a superbike category, just as Australian Formula 1 wasn't Formula 1 when it ran to F5000 rules.

The FIM can get stuffed. The AMA had a Superbike Championship twelve years before they did.

oddlycalm
03-09-10, 05:44 PM
Yes, at Daytona. At Road America not so much. There's a reason MotoGP is going back to liter bikes. The 800cc experiment allowed fly weight 250cc riders to hold their own with the best in the business and the racing suffered for it.

I'm not against creating a new racing class that generates increased participation. My problem is with calling it something it isn't and then trying to replace the real thing with it.

oc

Methanolandbrats
03-09-10, 06:02 PM
... My problem is with calling it something it isn't and then trying to replace the real thing with it.

oc

I see a trend...NASCAR cot "stock car".....IRL "Indy Car"....Grand Am "prototype".....might as well screw up bikes too.

oddlycalm
03-09-10, 06:07 PM
I see a trend...
There's a trend alright, "racing organization executive" = douchebag

oc

DagoFast
03-09-10, 06:54 PM
The FIM can get stuffed. The AMA had a Superbike Championship twelve years before they did.

Ah, good old flag waving 'mericun patriotism! :laugh:

The point you might have missed is that a series that conforms to the FIM rules allows all the manufacturers to build a single bike that can be used in British, German, *insert country here* or World Superbike.

But hey, now you get to enjoy that all American Daytona Beach series. You and dozens of others. ;)

oddlycalm
03-15-10, 08:05 PM
I guess I gotta be happy that the local team took 2nd place. When Buell imploded Latus Motors went to the Ducati 848 and hired Steve Rapp (the 2007 winner) to ride it. George Latus is a good guy and I'm happy he supports pro racing. They flat track riders do well also.

oc

RichK
03-16-10, 02:15 PM
SuperbikePlanet Article (http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/Feb/100226kevincameron.htm)

For those that read his words, Kevin Cameron is a lynchpin, an anchor of racing in America. A Harvard grad who later built race engines in the basement of Arlington Motors, Kevin Cameron is easily the most respected motojournalist in the world.

For the first time in 40 years, Kevin Cameron is skipping Daytona.

It's incredible how fast DMG sank AMA racing.

oddlycalm
03-16-10, 04:33 PM
It's incredible how fast DMG sank AMA racing.
The funny thing is that people told them straight up it would happen, but they were convinced they knew better.

Cameron sums it up well and his words could just as well apply to NASCAR, Grand Sham, AMA Pro or the IRL; "the steam left the boiler" is about as good an analogy as I've heard.

racing began to turn into just another business--how do we maximize profit, cut expense, eliminate unnecessary action? All classes suddenly looked and sounded the same, and businessmen drew the logical conclusion--that they should race the smallest machines that could carry the fairings that advertising coverage required. Everything would be taxed to become "a revenue stream" in this new and more rational kind of racing. Manufacturers and "technology creep" became enemies of the plan. After all, the public don't know or care--they'll come crowding in because we'll deliver "close racin' "We'll create the reality we want."

None of it worked. The steam had left the boiler

oc