PDA

View Full Version : Scanner, What am I doing wrong?

tllips
06-06-03, 11:42 AM
OK, I have had a scanner since Milwaukee last year. (Bearcat, forget the model) I used it at Chicago and RA last year and again at Milwaukee this year.

I have gotten the freq. list from 7th Gear or here (this year) and programmed those freqs into it with the Car # being the channel.

Then, at the track, I only hear chatter on some of the channels or, I only hear the crew to car, but not the car to crew side of the conversation. I have never been able to hear the radio or the TV feed.

Am I doing something wrong? How do you prgram these things so you can hear everyone? Are the cars transmitting at such a low power that it cannot be picked up in the grandstands? How do you find the TV feed?

At Milwaukee, I heard DD doing his TV intro on Bruno's channel (as posted by Rocket). Then, before the race started, it vanished and I never heard Bruno or his team on that channel (I know there was not much on that channel after the third lap).

I could hear PT's team talking to him, but not Paul.

If these channels change for each race weekend, would buying the $5 sheet at the track give accurate info?

BTW, I have been able to hear Race Control at each track, so I know that is right. But all I get from that is "Yellow" or "one lap to green."

Thanks,
TLLIPS

JoeBob
06-06-03, 11:55 AM
Most teams have a few frequencies, and change them from time to time. (The primary and backup cars each have their own, and sometimes they're able to change channels if there is a problem.)

What I usually do is check as many frequency lists as possible before I go. I'll program my scanner with the most common frequency for each driver, and bring a compiled list of frequencies with me. If I get something on one of the channels, I'll set the "hold" option for that channel. If there's a driver whose radio I really want to hear, I'll spend some time during a practice session and try all of the frequencies.

The best time to try to find a driver's frequency is when he's in the pit during practice. You'll get to hear the de-briefing info, and that means they ramble on for a minute or two. (You can also try scanning in the 450-470 range. Most radios are in there. TV usually has an open line, so it is easy to find. (But, you'll need to lock that channel out when scanning, since it is always on.)

Turn7
06-06-03, 12:05 PM
You can buy a frequency list from Racing Radios rental trailer. If they aren't at the race, the CART merchandise trailer provided them for free if you asked for it.

The communication frequencies change from place to place that they go. Certain places may have the local plumber already using that frequency so, they have to go to a back up channel.

KLang
06-06-03, 01:02 PM
I really wish CART would make an effort to gather the frequencys in use for a weekend and make the information available to us. I've noticed sometimes teams will use a different frequency on race day then they do for practice and qualifying. One team, NH I think, seems to use a different frequency for car to pit then they use for pit to car.

FRANKY
06-06-03, 02:59 PM
http://www.racescanners.com/~draley/tips.htm

Make sure your squelch is turned down. You can search for TV freqs they are usually in the 454.00 range. Pick a low number (420)and search between low and a high (475)number.

More tips.

http://www.racingelectronics.com/scannertips.html

Cam
06-06-03, 03:02 PM
Here...... http://www.patrickracing.com/Scanner.asp

devilmaster
06-06-03, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Here...... http://www.patrickracing.com/Scanner.asp

Just looking on that page, and perhaps someone in the know can set me straight....

But shouldn't code 3 and code 4 be reversed?

It says:
Code 1 Conscious, Coherant, Uninjured
Code 2 Slightly Disoriented, Mildly Bruised
Code 3 Requires Helicopter, Serious Injuries
Code 4 Requires Ambulance
Code 5 Life Threatening Injuries

Steve

JoeBob
06-06-03, 04:01 PM
Yes, 3 and 4 should be reversed. Honestly, I've never heard them use code 2 or code 4. I suppose it can happen (Dare's crash yesterday at Texas might be considered "code 4") but I've never heard it. (I have heard codes 1, 3 and 5 called on my scanner)

RacinM3
06-06-03, 04:08 PM
Also, you may have a better result with a "stubby" antenna. Theyr'e only about 1/2" long. Especially if the track is small.

tllips
06-06-03, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3
Also, you may have a better result with a "stubby" antenna. Theyr'e only about 1/2" long. Especially if the track is small.

How can a stubby help if I'm only getting one side of the conversation? Don't I need more sensitivity if I'm not picking up the driver's side of the conversation? :saywhat:

rocket
06-06-03, 04:41 PM
From what I understand, the frequencies used may change from race to race depending on the frequencies used for other things like police and fire in that locale...I think. When I started using the scanner I expected alot more chatter that I heard, and I think that may just be the way it is. If you go to RA you hear alot of one way conversations, I think that is due to track size and the rolling hills. If you didn't get it, I did post a list of frequencies from several sites that seemed to do well for me at Mil., of course I programmed all #'s in. http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1511

The Patrick racing one is new to me, I'll have to compare notes...Devilmaster is right, 3 and 4 should be flipped

sundaydriver
06-06-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by tllips
How can a stubby help if I'm only getting one side of the conversation? Don't I need more sensitivity if I'm not picking up the driver's side of the conversation? :saywhat:

Nothing will help you with only gettng one side of the converstion. That is a function of the teams using two different frequencies.

I use the stubby at ovals because you dont need to pull in as much because the area is not large enough. The higher gain antenae are better for covering larger territory and I use those when I go to a road course.