PDA

View Full Version : K Cup Coffee?

Sean Malone
02-28-10, 11:40 AM
My wife has been, um, 'urging' me to give up my burr grinder and go with a 'k cup' machine. Her office uses one and her list of pros include, fast brewing, cleaner coffee area (which is her big beef with me and my burr grinder) and lots 'o flavors.

I picked up a Breville last night and this morning we've burned through almost all of the variety pack. All of them are horrible. Horrible. :yuck: Bad in the sense that most of them I can't even taste. Some smell a little like coffee but taste like a slightly bitter water. One that I could stomach was Tully's French Roast which isn't 'bad'.

I used my own grind and that was good, but defeats the purpose of this thing. Anyone have one and can recommend bold flavored brand cups?

SteveH
02-28-10, 11:43 AM
I used my own grind and that was good, but defeats the purpose of this thing. Anyone have one and can recommend bold flavored brand cups?

Sorry, can't help. I'm a hetrosexual. :p

TKGAngel
02-28-10, 11:54 AM
We have the "fancy coffee" at the office. I like the Green Mountain Rainforest Nut, but some people have had good things to say about the Timothy's blend.

Elmo T
02-28-10, 12:44 PM
I don't drink coffee unless I am desperate, but I know several people that swear by the Newman's Own stuff:

Newman's Own Coffee (http://www.newmansownorganicscoffee.com/shop/Newmans-coffees/Newmans-k-cup-coffees)

STD
02-28-10, 01:31 PM
Sorry, can't help. I'm a hetrosexual. :p

:laugh:

STD
02-28-10, 01:32 PM
SmartBean coffee.

JLMannin
02-28-10, 02:09 PM
I picked up a case of 80 K-cups for a co-worker yesterday at Costco. I got the Caribou blend. Cost was 33.xx for 80 K-cups. I'll ask him how he likes it, and the next time I am at his place, I'll try some and let you know how it is.

You can trust my coffee sense, as I am an extreme coffee snob, according to my colleagues and family. :)

I'm also addicted to caffeine. About four years ago, I unknowingly consumed decaf both at home and work for two weeks and was a physical and emotional wreck. Could not read the German label to see that the particular variety of Jacobs Kronung I had was decaf.

cameraman
02-28-10, 02:17 PM
My wife has been, um, 'urging' me to give up my burr grinder and go with a 'k cup' machine.

Divorce court?

rosawendel
02-28-10, 02:39 PM
we tried the keuring (sp?) when our cuisinart gave up the ghost. hated it. uses the same size k-cup regardless of the quantity brewed. translation: the larger the cup, the weaker the coffee, and even the smallest cup wasn't that strong. we ended up getting another cuisinart - the same model again, actually.

Indy
02-28-10, 03:10 PM
Forget it, Sean. Nothing beats fresh roast, ground and brewed. The lousiest real coffee is better than the best fake coffee.

Have you ever tried, you know, like, cleaning up after yourself? :p

nrc
02-28-10, 04:00 PM
Have you ever tried, you know, like, cleaning up after yourself? :p

As far as I can tell from the office coffee maker that's a fair question for a large number of coffee drinkers. Coffee makers always seem to be at the epicenter of an ever expanding brown stain. :yuck:

dando
02-28-10, 05:44 PM
Caribou or Newman's Own. Funny thing is that I just got the missus a Kuerig so she would stop farking up the burr grinder. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

G.
03-01-10, 12:24 AM
I liked the Caribou, but you need to get the bold ones. Why coffee marketeers seem to think that in the morning (breakfast blend) you need weak coffee, I'll never understand. :saywhat:

I was thinking about getting a Kuerig, but Santa apparently missed my email.

Any other cup-at-a-time units that are any good? I rarely pull out the full pot unit anymore. My single cup maker is pretty lame, but it does ok with fresh-ground and room temp H2O.

Related, how long do you let an old-school perculator perk? (camping season approaches. I usually use the french press, but I need to share.)

datachicane
03-01-10, 02:43 AM
Related, how long do you let an old-school perculator perk? (camping season approaches. I usually use the french press, but I need to share.)

You don't, not if you plan on drinking the stuff. I'm all for retro-coolness, but as a coffee geek whoever invented the percolator should be shot. Repeatedly running the same overheated water (boiling is bad) over the same exhausted grounds is a recipe for paint remover, not a beverage.

French press works, but for camping and traveling it's hard to beat an aeropress. It's super quick, so banging a bunch out for a group of people is no problem, and it actually tastes like proper coffee. Manufacturer's hyperbole aside, it's no espresso, but sort of halfway between an espresso and a stout french press- you'll extract 2-3oz and cut it with hot water ala americano. They're pretty cheap, too, and clean up in about five seconds with a bit of paper towel, unlike a french press.

If you're serious about your coffee and/or made of money, the mypressi twist does a remarkably good sorta-espresso with a small nitrogen cartridge rather than a pump- if you don't have a proper espresso machine, you could do a heckuva lot worse for around $200:
http://mypressi.com/gallery/photos/twistPour.jpg

Seriously, though, the whole fallacious point of K-cup, pods, superautomatics and their ilk is to remove human fallibility. The problem is, there are a zillion variables to making good coffee, and removing human intervention means that those variables are never going to be addressed. If your goal is to make an absolutely consistent C+ cup of coffee, great, but otherwise :yuck:.

I tweak my grind every time the weather changes, and tweak it again every day or two as the coffee ages, which differs with each roast and source as they all age differently. I tweak it again for each new roast and source and occasionally between different batches of the same roast and source. I adjust tamping pressure and technique to find the sweet spot for every roast and source within a given grind. I adjust the boiler temp by a few degrees on my PID to find where each roast and source likes to be, and they're all a bit different- too cool=sour, too hot=burnt. I keep a notebook so I know where a good starting baseline is when I run into the same coffee again so I don't have to waste a few shots pulling swill. It's time consuming and takes some attention, but the results depend on it. When you get it right, it's thick and sweet and tastes exactly the way fresh ground coffee smells.

Removing the ability to alter variables is the last thing the process of making coffee needs- it's just as misguided as developing a gizmo to make wine or lap Road America while recognizing only two variables.
</end rant>

opinionated ow
03-01-10, 02:59 AM
What's wrong with International Roast?
http://aussiefavourites.com.au/cornershop/images/int_roast200.jpg

Gnam
03-01-10, 04:16 AM
:thumbup: to datachicane for the righteous indignation.
Can I have your recipe for toast? ;)

Postum anyone?

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1244/postum.gif

cameraman
03-01-10, 04:32 AM
Postum anyone?

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1244/postum.gif

Are they making that again? My father would be happy.

Indy
03-01-10, 09:12 AM
Removing the ability to alter variables is the last thing the process of making coffee needs- it's just as misguided as developing a gizmo to make wine or lap Road America while recognizing only two variables.
</end rant>

Awesome post, datachicane.

But remember, we are the people who buy Lunchables, prepackaged slices of bologna (fake meat) and (fake) cheese because it is too difficult to spend five minutes making your kid's lunch. Apparently American laziness knows no bounds.

I find the Road America example to be very insightful for some reason. If only CART had figured this out. Let's see, how about we take the cars and make them really, really simple. 1950's technology should do. Then lets take out the right turns. Then lets make the left turns blindingly easy. Then lets hire hire an announce team with third grade educations who will talk down to... Oh, wait. :saywhat:

cameraman
03-01-10, 12:52 PM
But remember, we are the people who buy Lunchables, prepackaged slices of bologna (fake meat) and (fake) cheese because it is too difficult to spend five minutes making your kid's lunch. Apparently American laziness knows no bounds.

Not due to laziness, it is because 5 year olds like fancy packaging. My kid is always asking for Lunchables even though he doesn't actually eat the "food" inside. Given the cost of Lunchables I could probably break even on the cost of a thermal film sealer pretty quickly...

Methanolandbrats
03-01-10, 01:34 PM
Good coffee begins here http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00826044000-1?hei=500&wid=500&op_sharpen=1

G.
03-01-10, 01:40 PM
You don't, not if you plan on drinking the stuff. I'm all for retro-coolness, but as a coffee geek whoever invented the percolator should be shot. Repeatedly running the same overheated water (boiling is bad) over the same exhausted grounds is a recipe for paint remover, not a beverage.

French press works, but for camping and traveling it's hard to beat an aeropress. It's super quick, so banging a bunch out for a group of people is no problem, and it actually tastes like proper coffee. Manufacturer's hyperbole aside, it's no espresso, but sort of halfway between an espresso and a stout french press- you'll extract 2-3oz and cut it with hot water ala americano. They're pretty cheap, too, and clean up in about five seconds with a bit of paper towel, unlike a french press.

If you're serious about your coffee and/or made of money, the mypressi twist does a remarkably good sorta-espresso with a small nitrogen cartridge rather than a pump- if you don't have a proper espresso machine, you could do a heckuva lot worse for around $200:

Seriously, though, the whole fallacious point of K-cup, pods, superautomatics and their ilk is to remove human fallibility. The problem is, there are a zillion variables to making good coffee, and removing human intervention means that those variables are never going to be addressed. If your goal is to make an absolutely consistent C+ cup of coffee, great, but otherwise :yuck:.

I tweak my grind every time the weather changes, and tweak it again every day or two as the coffee ages, which differs with each roast and source as they all age differently. I tweak it again for each new roast and source and occasionally between different batches of the same roast and source. I adjust tamping pressure and technique to find the sweet spot for every roast and source within a given grind. I adjust the boiler temp by a few degrees on my PID to find where each roast and source likes to be, and they're all a bit different- too cool=sour, too hot=burnt. I keep a notebook so I know where a good starting baseline is when I run into the same coffee again so I don't have to waste a few shots pulling swill. It's time consuming and takes some attention, but the results depend on it. When you get it right, it's thick and sweet and tastes exactly the way fresh ground coffee smells.

</end rant>
Once you hit the level of methlab chemistry knowledge to brew a cuppa, it's time to pack it in. Diet Coke works, too.

datachicane
03-01-10, 09:11 PM
Once you hit the level of methlab chemistry knowledge to brew a cuppa, it's time to pack it in. Diet Coke works, too.

Yeah, but it tastes like piss.

I tell my wife it could be worse, I could smoke or drink. Well, I could drink more, anyway. :D

Sean Malone
03-03-10, 10:22 AM
Well, I had no idea that I was entering another BluRay Disc vs HDDVD 'thing'.

My wife suggested I try the Starbucks brand K-Cups being that I drink that brand at work (we have one in our commissary). A quick bit of research revealed that Starbucks hitched their horse to the 'T-Disc' product made by Tassimo and does not produce K Cups. This has something to do with Green Mountain being a direct competitor (Green Mountain owns most of the K Cup brands from what I've read).

I picked up a box of Emerils 'Big Easy Intense' and it's an OK cup of coffee, especially considering it takes less than 30 seconds to make it.

chop456
03-04-10, 03:02 AM
The office used to have the fancy Keurig machine but replaced it with a Flavia. It was about a million times better. Don't know if it's the process or the coffee, but the difference is night and day. I tried jsut about every kind of K-cup from the Keurig to Green Mountain to Gloria Jean's. :gomer: Of course, that was recently replaced with a no-name machine that somehow turns coffee beans into dishwater. A sort of reverse Alchemy process, I suspect.

extramundane
03-04-10, 09:37 AM
Of course, that was recently replaced with a no-name machine that somehow turns coffee beans into dishwater. A sort of reverse Alchemy process, I suspect.

We have one of those too. The pencil shavings and sawdust they stock as "coffee" certainly doesn't help, but even using really good coffee and really good water results in a pot full of sewer runoff that the sketchiest gas station wouldn't serve.

Methanolandbrats
03-04-10, 10:58 AM
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/380/10942102342.jpg + http://baldmountaincoffee.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/sized/FULL/00002346.jpg = good coffee at work

Michaelhatesfans
03-04-10, 12:10 PM
The office used to have the fancy Keurig machine but replaced it with a Flavia. It was about a million times better. Don't know if it's the process or the coffee, but the difference is night and day. I tried jsut about every kind of K-cup from the Keurig to Green Mountain to Gloria Jean's. :gomer: Of course, that was recently replaced with a no-name machine that somehow turns coffee beans into dishwater. A sort of reverse Alchemy process, I suspect.

I keep a one serving french press on my desk at all times. I've got a small sealable container of grounds that I refill at home every few days. Keeps me from torturing myself (and everyone around me) by drinking nasty office coffee.

As a bonus, my ziploc bag of Coffee Mate is always a conversation starter.:laugh:

stroker
03-04-10, 12:11 PM
minor hijack question--Where can I buy stainless steel coffee urn cleaner retail?

datachicane
03-04-10, 12:50 PM
minor hijack question--Where can I buy stainless steel coffee urn cleaner retail?

espressoparts.com, wholelattelove.com, sweetmarias.com, United Grocers stocks it if you have one. Same stuff is used to clean espresso equipment. I use Puro Caff or Cafiza.

G.
04-11-10, 11:20 AM
So, any consensus? Keurig, Tassimo, Flavia?

Never seen the Flavia packs at my local Buy-Crap store...

Sean Malone
04-11-10, 11:58 AM

I've come to thoroughly enjoy my Keurig (by Breville) machine. I find the the Green Mountain French Roast to make an excellent coffee, very similar to the French roast I was grinding. I love how I have a cup o' joe within 20 seconds after stumbling into the kitchen and my wife likes how clean and easy it is. Makes hot chocolate and iced tea too.

dando
04-11-10, 07:46 PM

IMO, Keurig is the way to go. Folks that I know that have a K-cup machine have a Keurig. Sam's (see other thread :gomer:) had a great deal on the Ultimate version with an additional sampler package and the water filer doohickey b4 Xmas for $129. Couldn't find anything close to that price for just the ultimate machine.

-Kevin

JLMannin
04-15-10, 06:39 PM
IMO, Keurig is the way to go. Folks that I know that have a K-cup machine have a Keurig. Sam's (see other thread :gomer:) had a great deal on the Ultimate version with an additional sampler package and the water filer doohickey b4 Xmas for $129. Couldn't find anything close to that price for just the ultimate machine.

-Kevin

Costco has the ultimate with four twelve packs and the filter thingy for $149. I checked the website yesterday.

They closed the cafe in my building at work yesterday, so I need another option for coffee/hot water.

dando
04-15-10, 08:31 PM
Costco has the ultimate with four twelve packs and the filter thingy for $149. I checked the website yesterday.

They closed the cafe in my building at work yesterday, so I need another option for coffee/hot water.

Sounds like the same package I bought the Mrs. for Xmas, but $20 more. :gomer:Of course she still manages to f the thing up and blames the machine. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

stroker
11-13-11, 03:43 PM
I finally got around to buying some urn cleaner for our travel mugs. The one on the left looked like the one on the right before cleaning. Methinks it was a worthwhile investment...

KLang
02-19-12, 11:01 AM
Bump..

Ordered the Keurig Platinum from Green Mountain yesterday. I have tried and liked the Emeril's Big Easy Bold. What other bold/strong varieties are people drinking now?

TKGAngel
02-19-12, 12:00 PM
Bump..

Ordered the Keurig Platinum from Green Mountain yesterday. I have tried and liked the Emeril's Big Easy Bold. What other bold/strong varieties are people drinking now?

My 60-cup variety pack has the Newmans Own & Caribou blends. Those are pretty good. I'm not a fan of the Emeril's Big Easy Bold. I thought it tasted like nutty burnt water.

And to bring up something from earlier in the thread, Starbucks is now selling K-Cups. I haven't tried any of those yet, so I can't comment on the quality.

KLang
02-19-12, 12:32 PM
I tried the Caribou at the office the other day and thought it was too light. That was before I figured out how to change the strength. I'll have to give it another shot.

extramundane
02-19-12, 12:43 PM
Bump..

I use Green Mountain's Dark Magic (http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/Coffee/K-Cup-Dark-Magic-Extra-Bold) at work. It's pretty good, at least when people aren't cramming cinnamon hazelnut vanilla toffee crunch through the machine right before I brew mine. :irked:

dando
02-19-12, 12:46 PM
Newman's bold is my personal fave, plus it's for a good cause to boot. Caribou isn't bold, but it is a good 'house blend' variety. I've only tried a few others in the bold variety like Green Mountain Seattle's Finest, etc. that came in the sample pack and were decent, but nothing noteworthy. We have the Green Mountain Breakfast Blend @ work and it's a decent late day cup during meetings. I see Kohl's has a new brand called Prima Barista, so I may need to give that a shot. I get Caribou and Newman's in bulk @ Sam's for ~$40 for ~80 K cuos.

-Kevin

EDwardo
02-19-12, 12:53 PM
It is a bit of a pain in the arse but produces a superior cup of coffee.
http://www.kitchencontraptions.com/images/B00005NCX5-1.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This one also makes excellent coffee.
http://www.productswithstyle.com/images/medium/640476-Porcelain-Coffee-Maker-medium.jpg

Trading quality for convenience just isn't an option for me.

TravelGal
02-19-12, 02:14 PM
I use Green Mountain's Dark Magic (http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/Coffee/K-Cup-Dark-Magic-Extra-Bold) at work. It's pretty good, at least when people aren't cramming cinnamon hazelnut vanilla toffee crunch through the machine right before I brew mine. :irked:

I'll see your :irked: and raise you :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck: I don't even put sugar in my coffee much less that sort c r @ p.

WickerBill
02-19-12, 02:49 PM
I tried the Caribou at the office the other day and thought it was too light. That was before I figured out how to change the strength. I'll have to give it another shot.

Ba-dmm-ksssh. I see what you did there

Methanolandbrats
02-19-12, 03:26 PM

WTF is that, it looks like a bong.

TKGAngel
02-19-12, 03:33 PM

I'll sometimes use the office Keurig to make tea with a K-Cup. I will always run a cup of plain water through before I make the tea just to get rid of the uck left in the machine. I learned this the hard way after my green tea tasted like chocolate donut. :yuck:

EDwardo
02-19-12, 03:55 PM

Put the coffee grounds in the top chamber and water in the bottom chamber. As the water heats it travels up the center tube to the top chamber and brews. When removed from the heat source the air in the bottom chamber cools and creates a vacuum. This draws the brew back into the bottom chamber.
The closest comparison in taste is a French press.

G.
02-19-12, 04:36 PM
fave all-around, probably Tully's Kona. Smooth, almost sweet, and may actually contain kona beans (I think 10%).

Tully's French roast is great, Italian roast is just a bit burnt for my tastes, but really good.

Green mtn Sumatran is great, or any brand Sumatran, really. Not a brand snob, except that the BaristaPrima French might be a little weak for my tastes.

Caribo is only for second cup caffeine maintenance program (when a cup of Sumatran, French, etc. isn't enough). It's fine, just a little weak.

How do you make it stronger? Just brew smallercups?

extramundane
02-19-12, 05:17 PM
I'll sometimes use the office Keurig to make tea with a K-Cup. I will always run a cup of plain water through before I make the tea just to get rid of the uck left in the machine. I learned this the hard way after my green tea tasted like chocolate donut. :yuck:

We actually have two machines next to each other (started with one and found large morning meetings were starting 20 minutes late due to the line at the Keurig). I lobbied to designate one as the 'coffee that isn't coffee' machine after the previous user's pumpkin spice somethingorother broke during brewing and left grounds all over the place. I was unsuccessful.

Considering that most of these people can't be bothered to either refill the reservoir or remove their spent K-Cup, I'm sure running a cycle of just water is too much work. :rolleyes:

KLang
02-19-12, 06:04 PM
How do you make it stronger? Just brew smallercups?

That is my assumption. I should have the manual to read later this week.

stroker
02-19-12, 06:05 PM

We used to brew coffee in a stainless steel version of that when I was a kid. I think I've still got it somewhere in the house. God knows where, though.

KLang
02-19-12, 06:10 PM
A few of the recent post explain the use of this added feature of the Platinum Plus model:

The Platinum Plus also includes instant rinse and hot water dispense capabilities.

Wasn't sure of the value for the 'rinse'. Makes sense now. My wife quit drinking coffee and I'm down to just one cup most mornings so it shouldn't be an issue at home.

cameraman
02-20-12, 11:28 AM
Sixty+ years old and still works perfectly. And fresh roasted coffee from any of the local roasters costs less than K-cup coffee. I just don't get it.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/IMG_0010.jpg

KLang
02-20-12, 12:09 PM
I just don't get it.

Pretty simple really. I only need to make one cup. The K-cup is a very fast and convenient way to achieve that.

cameraman
02-20-12, 12:48 PM
Neither do I, the lower half of that unit is my cup...

extramundane
02-20-12, 06:15 PM
Pretty simple really. I only need to make one cup. The K-cup is a very fast and convenient way to achieve that.

And for me, the more 'artisanal' methods are too messy and/or involved to handle with my limited space and time at work. I used a french press for a while but got tired of dealing with coffee grounds and trying to rinse out the press in the bathroom sink so it didn't sit all day 'til I could get it home. It's pretty much either Keurig or Via.

At home on the weekends we do french press.

datachicane
02-21-12, 01:00 AM

This one also makes excellent coffee.
http://www.productswithstyle.com/images/medium/640476-Porcelain-Coffee-Maker-medium.jpg

Yep, those are both far superior (and cheaper) than any overpriced stale pre-ground stuff. There's no substitute for fresh roast, and that K-Cup ain't.

I love the siphon pots- I've got three vintage Cory sets. Absolutely the simplest, most hassle-free way to make superior coffee, since physics prevents you from screwing up most of the variables.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TJzkZbA5WD0/TZJABqhjRRI/AAAAAAAADlc/yAHRF7QLudI/s800/196554_189739641061663_145716392130655_389316_2808 629_n.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4e_8Yzcktu0/TZJBH_vJ6VI/AAAAAAAADlw/FvCpJecXqJc/s800/196999_189739501061677_145716392130655_389310_4598 508_n.jpg

WickerBill
12-25-14, 10:33 AM
Arise, long-slumbering thread! For I have received an Aeropress for my birthday and here is my review:

I won't be drinking K-Cup coffee any longer.

G.
12-26-14, 01:46 AM
Arise, long-slumbering thread! For I have received an Aeropress for my birthday and here is my review:

I won't be drinking K-Cup coffee any longer.

I picked one up for camping. That means that I have to bring and make the coffee on campouts. The other adults insist on it. :irked: ;)

What's your technique? How hot? Inverted method (of course)? How long do you stir/steep?

I still do the k-cup most of the time. I am THAT lazy.

WickerBill
12-26-14, 07:29 AM
Haven't had it long enough to do it the same way twice yet. But yes, inverted appears to be a must.

This morning feels like 1.5 scoops, 30 seconds off boil, stir for 10 seconds, steep for a minute, re-stir and press.

dando
12-26-14, 07:39 AM
Haven't had it long enough to do it the same way twice yet. But yes, inverted appears to be a must.

This morning feels like 1.5 scoops, 30 seconds off boil, stir for 10 seconds, steep for a minute, re-stir and press.

At 110...you shouldn't be drinking coffee, BTW. :p

WickerBill
12-26-14, 08:55 AM
Keeps me alive, Kev. Get off my lawn.

What I'm finding interesting about the aeropress is that because there is virtually no bitterness, I keep making my cups stronger and stronger (by using more coffee). I think perhaps next cup I should let it steep for 2-3 minutes and see what happens. I'll probably get that magic K cup bitterness back.

TravelGal
12-26-14, 01:47 PM
Keeps me alive, Kev. Get off my lawn.

What I'm finding interesting about the aeropress is that because there is virtually no bitterness, I keep making my cups stronger and stronger (by using more coffee). I think perhaps next cup I should let it steep for 2-3 minutes and see what happens. I'll probably get that magic K cup bitterness back.

Just heard the same advice from an inveterate tea drinker. More equals stronger and longer equals more bitter. And dando, yeah, we're the *friends* here.

nrc
12-26-14, 11:17 PM
I got Missy a Kuerig Vue cup brewer last Christmas. I'm not a coffee drinker but it seemed like an obviously better system - particularly for the big travel mugs that she likes. Of course the market said no thanks and now she's having to order Vue cups online. Evidently their next try is this Kuerig 2.0 thing. I guess she'll use the Vue machine while we can still get Vue cups and we'll see what's up then.

datachicane
12-27-14, 01:28 AM
:thumbup: on the Aeropress, quick and superior stuff.

You'd be a heckuva lot better off saving the $$ they want for a K-machine (not to mention the $$$ they charge for the, ummm, product modules) and spend it on a quality burr grinder. I'd take a Hario hand grinder and an Aeropress over a Keurig even if the equipment cost were equivalent (not to mention the order of magnitude difference in the per-cup price). That said, history shows that given a proper advertising budget there's always a ready market for an inferior product at a higher price.

TravelGal
12-27-14, 02:29 AM
That said, history shows that given a proper advertising budget there's always a ready market for an inferior product at a higher price.

Oh, ain't that the truth.

On the K subject, I saw an article but didn't read it that the users had cracked the K code. I took it to mean that a way to avoid having to buy the exorbitantly priced cups has been discovered. Anyone know anything about that? Having just cracked the glass pot in my 10 year old Melita 2-cup, I'm casually looking around for a replacement of a better sort.

dando
12-27-14, 05:18 AM
burr grinder + french press == coffee goodness :cool:

Can't do coffee these days due to acid reflux, but damn it smells like bacon. I'm iced tea these days...unsweetened with lemon, please. Working on getting my girls hooked on it, too. ;) They have this odd trait...they like to eat the lemons. No idea where that came from... :whistles dixie: ;) :D Prolly the same idiot that got them hooked on giant pickles. ;)

I'll never forget the hoo-hah when planning our trip to DL in 6/12, and they were opening a *$s in Disneyland (yes, WB you can look that up). ;) Anyway, they apparently had Nescafe as their primary coffee, so everyone was abuzz that they were selling *$s. And of course, this lady :looks @ TG: :) calls me in Toontown during a Mickey Bar meltdown.... :)

cameraman
12-27-14, 06:27 AM
It matters more what you put in your coffee gadget of choice than what kind of gadget you own. Food fresh roasted coffee ground correctly will survive just about any brewing method. (Except a percolator:say what:)

That said I've been using a stainless Kalita wave 185 because I make 20 oz at a time and it won't break if I drop it. I have a Bonavita variable electric kettle to heat the water.

Oooh pretty pictures...

FdYdouH_UkQ

TKGAngel
12-27-14, 10:23 AM
Oh, ain't that the truth.

On the K subject, I saw an article but didn't read it that the users had cracked the K code. I took it to mean that a way to avoid having to buy the exorbitantly priced cups has been discovered. Anyone know anything about that? Having just cracked the glass pot in my 10 year old Melita 2-cup, I'm casually looking around for a replacement of a better sort.

Apparently the Keurig 2.0 machines are exclusively designed to work only with Green Mountain Coffee brand cups. These new machines have some sort of bar code reader included and only the Green Mountain cups have the code on them. People are getting around this by adhering a Green Mountain lid to their machine so that the code is read and they can use the K-Cup of their choice.

Trader Joe's K-Cups are pretty good. They don't use nearly as much plastic and the coffee isn't bad.

KLang
12-27-14, 10:53 AM
Apparently the Keurig 2.0 machines are exclusively designed to work only with Green Mountain Coffee brand cups. These new machines have some sort of bar code reader included and only the Green Mountain cups have the code on them. People are getting around this by adhering a Green Mountain lid to their machine so that the code is read and they can use the K-Cup of their choice.

Trader Joe's K-Cups are pretty good. They don't use nearly as much plastic and the coffee isn't bad.

Not quite true. They need to be licensed by Keurig/Green Mountain. The vast majority are.

cameraman
12-27-14, 03:34 PM
BTW they are recalling about 7,000,000 Keurig MINI Plus Brewing System K10 units because they have a history of spraying boiling water on the user...

http://images.franchiseherald.com/data/images/full/16430/keurig-recall.jpg?w=570

They are single-serve, hot beverage brewers and were sold in 13 different colors with silver trim. Recalled units were produced between December 2009 and July 2014 and were sold between December 2009 and December 2014. They can be identified by the serial number printed on a white sticker on the bottom of the brewer. Serial numbers involved in the recall can be found at:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Keurig-Recalls-MINI-Plus-Brewing-Systems/