PDA

View Full Version : Surf's up.

emjaya
02-27-10, 10:11 AM
Or may be at 9.15 in the morning. :eek:

http://www.bom.gov.au/tsunami/qld_alerts.shtml

pchall
02-27-10, 10:21 AM
8.8 Richter scale event in Chile. That is going to make Haiti look like a picnic in the park.

NismoZ
02-27-10, 10:23 AM
Great, the residents of Hilo are probably headed down to the harbor to watch 'it roll in.:shakehead

WickerBill
02-27-10, 11:33 AM
Looks like the quake's epicenter was in the ocean, which is good news for Chile -- doesn't seem the death toll will be anything like Haiti. Tsunami is 8ft high, growing, and traveling 500mph toward Hawaii.

To give an idea of how impossibly vast the ocean is, it's expected to hit Hawaii at 6:23pm Eastern. Evacuations of the coastal areas to start at 11am EST.

EDwardo
02-27-10, 01:07 PM
http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bin/quakes/mapscript/home.pl

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

http://www.geophys.washington.edu/seismosurfing.html

NismoZ
02-27-10, 01:18 PM
Ever surfed a 500mph wave?:eek:

cameraman
02-27-10, 02:11 PM
doesn't seem the death toll will be anything like Haiti.

Maybe...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/28/world/28chile-span2/28chile-span2-articleLarge.jpg

Methanolandbrats
02-27-10, 05:46 PM
Many big plate movements lately, I wonder if San Francisco should be nervous?

Gnam
02-27-10, 08:13 PM

... and Mexico City, San Diego, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver...

I think the Earthquake gods are waiting for the new Bay Bridge to be completed before they uncork another one on the Bay Area. No coincidence it's taken 20 years to replace 3 miles of bridge. Still not done. ;)

oddlycalm
02-27-10, 09:33 PM
... and Mexico City, San Diego, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver...

I think the Earthquake gods are waiting for the new Bay Bridge to be completed before they uncork another one on the Bay Area. No coincidence it's taken 20 years to replace 3 miles of bridge. Still not done. ;)

All true. I suppose it would be in poor taste to mention that in less time than it has taken to almost complete a 3 mile bridge in San Fran in Spain they have constructed a well integrated nationwide high speed rail system as well as the manufacturing facilities to build the trains...

oc

emjaya
02-27-10, 10:34 PM
All true. I suppose it would be in poor taste to mention that in less time than it has taken to almost complete a 3 mile bridge in San Fran in Spain they have constructed a well integrated nationwide high speed rail system as well as the manufacturing facilities to build the trains...

oc

Don't feel too embarassed, after 150 years Australia still has three different rail gauges.

opinionated ow
02-27-10, 11:07 PM
I read somewhere that the last time there was this much movement of the plates on the pacific rim it led up to Krakatoa blowing up.

Methanolandbrats
02-28-10, 02:49 AM
I read somewhere that the last time there was this much movement of the plates on the pacific rim it led up to Krakatoa blowing up.

A lot of pressure seems bottled up. It's as if the Earth has ingested a large meal of tainted Mexican food and an enormous explosion is imminent.

TravelGal
02-28-10, 03:20 AM
A lot of pressure seems bottled up. It's as if the Earth has ingested a large meal of tainted Mexican food and an enormous explosion is imminent.

There's a simile I could have done without. :yuck:

Buildings were built fairly well and to withstand a big one. But when one this big strikes, nothing is going to hold together.

oddlycalm
02-28-10, 04:58 PM
I dunno about the Mexican food. When St. Helens blew the smell was more like corned beef, kraut, deviled eggs and dark beer....:eek: :yuck: I just assumed it was Germanic pagan gods holding a bi-millennial farting contest. :gomer:

oc

Indy
02-28-10, 05:15 PM
corned beef, kraut, deviled eggs and dark beer

Mmmm, sounds good. :gomer:

Gnam
04-06-10, 07:20 PM

Sunday: 7.2 - Baja California
Tuesday: 7.8 - Sumatra, Indonesia

Maybe it's just me, but seems like there's an awful lot of 7+ quakes lately.

Here's a report from a co-worker who just moved to El Centro, CA 50 miles from the epicenter of Sunday's 7.2 quake.

The big one we had moved my truck 3 feet sideways and smashed and broke all the stuff that we had set up. We ran to the back yard but could not stand up we had to get on our knees until it stopped then the ground moved like a pendulum for a solid five minutes. I do not recommend it for anybody.
:eek:

SurfaceUnits
04-11-10, 11:15 AM
7.1-magnitude quake strikes off Solomon Islands

Ankf00
04-12-10, 01:29 AM
richter scale is logarithmic, so 7 to 8 is 10 times stronger, and 7 to 9 is 100

the thing with Chile is the level of destruction DESPITE their very strong building code. SF isn't what's worrisome imo, it's Seattle & Portland where there is not much in the way of earthquake code

nrc
04-12-10, 01:50 AM
So is there really more activity than normal or are we just hearing about it all since the disaster in Haiti?

devilmaster
04-12-10, 10:24 AM
the smell was more like corned beef, kraut, deviled eggs and dark beer....

which is basically the smell of the haze from the tailgating hordes of the NFC North....

Don Quixote
04-12-10, 11:41 AM
Sorry to share this, but once you have had food poisoning from deviled eggs, it is hard to go back to them. :yuck:

tllips
04-12-10, 11:56 AM
Sorry to share this, but once you have had food poisoning from deviled eggs, it is hard to go back to them. :yuck:

Likewise for Olive Garden's salad. I can't walk into an Olive Garden anymore. :yuck:

Methanolandbrats
04-12-10, 12:05 PM
Same with a whole bottle of Yukon Jack, especially when you pass out on a lake in really cold weather. Hard to even smell the stuff after that. :gomer:

Sean Malone
04-12-10, 12:57 PM
So is there really more activity than normal or are we just hearing about it all since the disaster in Haiti?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?faqID=110

The NEIC now locates about 12,000 to 14,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.

dando
04-12-10, 01:09 PM

It's more the greater frequency of higher magnitude earthquakes as well as there location closer to more populated areas.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-12-10, 01:48 PM
Same with a whole bottle of Yukon Jack, especially when you pass out on a lake in really cold weather. Hard to even smell the stuff after that. :gomer:Ugh. My bad experience was with Black Velvet, I named that night the "Night of Black Velvet Death". To this day I bet I can smell BV on somebody's breath from 100 yards. Do they still make that stuff?

Sean Malone
04-12-10, 02:43 PM
Same with a whole bottle of Yukon Jack, especially when you pass out on a lake in really cold weather. Hard to even smell the stuff after that. :gomer:

I know Yukon Jack! In my 20's we would make pitchers of Yukon, ice and Roses Lime we called 'snake bites'. Just the thought of it make my mouth water a little...and not in the good way.

dando
04-12-10, 09:30 PM
Ugh. My bad experience was with Black Velvet, I named that night the "Night of Black Velvet Death". To this day I bet I can smell BV on somebody's breath from 100 yards. Do they still make that stuff?

uEZxtdesraU

:gomer:

-Kevin

dando
04-12-10, 09:38 PM
To complete the total thread massacre (or tea bagging :gomer:)...my worst memory is a former boss of mine pulling out a bottle of Crown Royal from the blue velvet bag one night (@ his place). We spent the next ~3 hours or so finishing the bottle listening to Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger until midnight. Back to work @ 6am the next morning...worst hangover ever...I started unloading trucks as usual, but ended up in the shitter shortly afterwards. One the truckers wondered into the bathroom, opened the door to my stall and said, "bad night, eh?". Thankfully the boss understood my leaving early to recover. :D

-Kevin

G.
04-13-10, 01:47 PM
Pete Seeger will do that to ya'.