PDA

View Full Version : 908s @ Sebring & LeMans

NismoZ
02-22-10, 04:56 PM
Wurz, Davidson and Gene in one car, Bourdais, Lamy and Minassian in the 2nd. Which one is the "sprinter?":D

SurfaceUnits
02-22-10, 05:17 PM
Steve McQueen’s Porsche 908 spyder an overachiever in spectacular Sebring race

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/cars/classiccars/6472978.html

Aston Martin tops 1st ALMS Winter Test session

pchall
02-24-10, 12:40 AM
Steve McQueen’s Porsche 908 spyder an overachiever in spectacular Sebring race

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/cars/classiccars/6472978.html

Aston Martin tops 1st ALMS Winter Test session

I remember the Revson/McQueen 908 run at Sebring. That is one of the all time great sport car racing stories.

NismoZ
02-24-10, 02:58 PM
I'd like to hear that story again because I seem to recall some of the "real" racers didn't think much of ol' Steve because he was an outsider, a poser. Anyone remember anything like that?

pchall
02-24-10, 11:51 PM
I'd like to hear that story again because I seem to recall some of the "real" racers didn't think much of ol' Steve because he was an outsider, a poser. Anyone remember anything like that?

I don't remember anything like that. Any doubts about McQueen might have stemmed from his not racing all that much. As much as McQueen loved cars and bikes he was not in the position to race. Studios had clauses written into his contracts forbidding racing after he was slightly injured racing in England during the filming of The War Lover, John Hersey's great WW2 novel. Stars were stars then but they were not yet bigger than the studios that made the films.

STD
02-25-10, 12:14 AM

Yep, drivers knew who did the hard work in that race and were put off by the headlines.
I don't think it went to the point of McQueen being a poser however.
He did drive with his left foot in a cast and did his part.
It was a race in which there was a large rate of attrition.

TrueBrit
02-25-10, 10:43 AM

I remember Mario Whinedretti saying something along those lines in a documentary once..