PDA

View Full Version : Races or Moments you DID get to see...

Elmo T
02-22-10, 12:34 PM
After the thread about what races you wished you made, how about those memorable races you did see. Or maybe a special moment or incident at a race or venue.

Maybe you too were almost hit by Andretti the lesser on his scooter? ;)

A few random moments come to mind - some not very special, just memorable to me:

Watching JPM coast around after his first qualifying/pole winning lap at Nazareth in 2000.

Sunburned at qualifying, snowed out the next day - Nazareth.

PT winning Cleveland 2007. Hit everyone and everything. Hearing my wife say something along the lines of "I can't #$%ng believe he is going to win!" :rofl:

First time entering M-O, hearing AM practice. I was ready to leave my car at the gate and run in. :gomer:

Standing this -><- close the the cars at Nazareth while walking along the front of the stands to get to your seats. :eek:

Those were just a few that immediately came to mind.

SteveH
02-22-10, 12:56 PM
Maybe you too were almost hit by Andretti the lesser on his scooter? ;)

Close, he nearly ran over me on a pit bike in the garage area at Indy. I turned around and yelled "Micheal" at him and he looked over his shoulder at me, kind of embarrassed. I'm sure he thought it was my fault.

The Herta/Barron crash at RA in 1998
oAIF06pCUoQ

Mears/Johncock at Indy in 1982
QZegezmysOw

Little Al/Goodyear at Indy in 1992
mtiGra-pj5c

Also saw AJ, Al and Rick each win their fourth Indy.
Saw both versions of the STP turbine cars qualify at Indy in 1967 and 1968.

JLMannin
02-22-10, 03:18 PM
I saw Nigell Mansell put on an oval racing clinic at MIS. At one point, had the entire field lapped. Same race, saw Andretti (the greater) loop it in the pits right in front of us - this was the year before pit road speed limits, IIRC. Once again, same race - saw Mario Andretti unlap himself. The whole crowd was on their feet, cheering. When Mansell came out of that car, he needed medical attention for dehydration/exhaustion. He justified his arrogant attidude to me that day :-)

Another year at MIS (1996, I think) - Al Unser Jr set up and passed Scott Pruett for the win. I could see the set-up playing out for two to three laps - great duel.

And another at MIS - only six or seven cars running at the finish. Leaders kept blowing engines. Luyendyk ended up winning with Gugelmin and Domonic Dobson also on the podium - a very exciting race.

And I was at RA when Tracy spun off course on the first turns and was half a lap down or so. Race went green all the way, and he came back to win. On the cool down lap, he ran out of fuel right in from of me.

Now, there are races that are memorable, but the events were not good. I saw Emerson Fittipaldi's driving career end at MIS. I was watching Indy practice live in 1996 when Brayton hit the wall scrubbing tires. I kew at the moment of impact that he was gone. His death bothered me more than the death of any other driver. I think it was because my son was 2 at the time, and Brayton has a daughter the same age. I also had the misfortune of watching the California race on Haloween when Greg Moore had his accident.

I can't end this post on such a down note, so I need to list some more great memories

The Pass (Zanardi over Herta at the corkscrew), and the interview with Herta afterwards. He said that he was not watching Alex, but "looking for the tree", his visual reference point for hitting the apex.

Lap 193 restartat Indy in Mansell's rookie year at Indianapolis ("Everyone kind of like, cheats on the restarts. I see the light turn green, then vroom, vroom, Arie and Emmo passed me"

Seeing Mike Moseley going from last to first to win at the Milwaukee Mile in person, in a race with no caution flags. This was the last race win for a stock block engine in CART/USAC competition.

indyfan31
02-22-10, 04:26 PM
You been around SteveH

Little Al/Goodyear at Indy in 1992
Wasn't there in person, but I remember screaming at the TV because the moron in the TV truck switched to the Flag Stand camera and we didn't actually see them crossing the finish until the replays.

Indy
02-22-10, 05:30 PM
And I was at RA when Tracy spun off course on the first turns and was half a lap down or so. Race went green all the way, and he came back to win. On the cool down lap, he ran out of fuel right in from of me.

That was a sweet weekend.

And Mrs. Indy and I must have been standing very near you at the time he ran out of fuel!

TKGAngel
02-22-10, 07:27 PM
The night race at Cleveland and watching the fireworks go off in the communities right along the lake shore.

Watching Seabass wear PT (I think it was PT) as a hat and the crowd finding out via scanner that Mrs. Seabass was expecting a lil bass.

dando
02-22-10, 08:12 PM
The real US 500 in '96...watching carbon shrapnel flying over my head after Jeemy 'Vasserized' Herta. Later watching #99 save it coming out of T2...eerily similar to what he did @ Fontana in '99 w/o the same result. :(

Watching Herta set a new track record @ MO circa '98/'99. :thumbup:

My wife getting me a Super PhotoPass for MO in '98 so I could go inside the spectator fencing to take pics. I was the dickhead with the point-and-click film camera standing in the Esses. :gomer:

Almost being run over by Carl Hogan on a scooter outside the paddock @ above mentioned race. Yes. Carl. Hogan. On a scooter. :eek:

Cleveland '05...my first and only trip to the Roar. :( Met Lizzerd, Duroc and some others there.

-Kevin

dando
02-22-10, 08:15 PM
The Pass (Zanardi over Herta at the corkscrew), and the interview with Herta afterwards. He said that he was not watching Alex, but "looking for the tree", his visual reference point for hitting the apex.

I was @ a Team Rahal viewing event for that race. The air got sucked out of that once The Pass happened. :eek:

-Kevin

FCYTravis
02-23-10, 07:05 AM
Shooting paintballs at Mikey the Traitor @ Mid-Ohio 2003.

nrc
02-23-10, 10:55 AM
Andretti cart-wheeling into the sand trap a Mid-Ohio.

Zanardi tearing through the field at Cleveland.

Fast Lap of Mid-Ohio in a pace car.

Andretti and Montoya duelling at MIS, interlocking wheels at 200 MPH. :eek:

High Sided
02-23-10, 11:40 AM
the Gateway cart races! my only cart races seen live. :(

fFuqAQkuJiQ

SteveH
02-23-10, 12:09 PM
the Gateway cart races! my only cart races seen live. :(

I had forgotten how dirty that track was. Didn't they have to spread limstone on it to get the asphalt to cure in time for the race? That was a very wet and cool spring, IIRC.

Ran into Carpentier as he returned to the hotel after the race. He was so happy, as he should have been.

Elmo T
02-23-10, 12:20 PM
Seeing famous/infamous moments was cool, but I find the "personal interest" stories a great deal of fun. Odd how certain things stick with you. :thumbup:

A few others pop to mind:

Listening to the scanner as Katherine Legge struggled with her car at Cleveland. "I've lost the will to live...". ;)

Also scanner related, Derek Daly commentating for M-O, talking about getting speeding tickets on his way to the track. Apparently a tradition for him.

Anytime seeing Paul Newman enjoying himself at the track was fun. He clearly loved being there.

SteveH
02-23-10, 01:55 PM
One other scanner moment, hearing Parker Johnstone (?) refer to Memo's crash at RA as Greg Moore-like. I was ready to leave the track at that point.

Methanolandbrats
02-23-10, 02:03 PM
Watching Ol' Nige practice and qualify at Road America. :eek:
Greg Moore sideways slide in turn 3 at Milwaukee.:eek::eek::eek:

G.
02-23-10, 02:47 PM
One other scanner moment, hearing Parker Johnstone (?) refer to Memo's crash at RA as Greg Moore-like. I was ready to leave the track at that point.
...and hearing the drivers one after another chime in about seeing a thumbs-up!

A driver's (ex)wife got pizzled at me that day when I switched the TV over to video from T&S. Until she saw what the camera was on.

That was some surreal ****. Silence in the pits, everybody holding their breath.

RTKar
09-16-10, 07:09 PM
Moore's first win
Jacque V's first win
Pruett / Unser at MIS
The Herta / Barron wreck as it happened.
Christain Fittipaldi's bad practice crash at Milw. (T-3)
Fan deaths at MIS
....didn't see it but I was at IMS when Stan Fox had his bad crash. I couldn't believe how quiet so many people could be.

SteveH
09-16-10, 07:14 PM
Moore's first win

Saw his last win. :(

RTKar
09-16-10, 10:38 PM
....and Goodyear passing the pace car as I sat in J stand, thinking "Oh boy," he's going to get black flagged."

rosawendel
09-17-10, 08:14 AM
vasser at mid-ohio qualifying after being told that he was being dropped by ganassi:
pits: "not that you care, but you're running ninth."
vasser: "i care."

zanardi donuts at cleveland. little al tearing it up at cleveland in 94 (you know, when he was good).

my first time at mid-ohio. i met paul page who talked with me about it and told me to "go walk the track - you'll love it." i do.

the one year (2000) that i went to 5 races: cleveland (moreno crying over the scanner), mid-ohio (castroneves climbed the fence and cried), bell isle (JPM), california speedway (I only saw practice - i think the race was delayed by a day), and long beach (PT - strongbow pose). That was a good year.

BarillaGirl
09-20-10, 01:56 PM
Going to Vintage Races at M-O in 1998 and feeling the beautiful noise of the Mustangs and Camaros surround me.

Unfortunately, that day also saw the death of an amateur racer (heart attack going into Turn 1) and the futile work of the EMTs as they tried to save him. :(

oh yeah: graffiti in the ladies' room at M-O that year: "Christian Fittipaldi is HOT!"

Not a race: Getting to photograph Zanardi's Target/Chip Ganassi car when it was on display at the Lexus dealership in Brookfield, WI in 1999. (I just found those photos last weekend.)

Not in person: I got back into watching motorsports watching Laguna Seca on TV in 1996. I looked, saw "the pass," and asked my friend, "What was THAT?" I already knew half the last names on the track from watching Indy and Wide World of Sports as a kid.

SteveH
09-20-10, 02:26 PM
totally forgot about this race

One amazing Labor Day weekend at MIS. SCCA regionals and the 2500cc and over class of TransAm. Got my introduction to infield cmaping at a race weekend. :D

Revson and Donohue qualified 1 & 2 in a light rain on Sat. They did not run on Friday when everyone else posted preliminary qualifications in the dry.

http://www.1966shelbynotchbackmustang.com/TransAmResults/1971TAresults.pdf

TransAm at MIS in 1971

1971 TRANS-AM – Race 9 of 10 – MICHIGAN
Pos. Driver Car Laps/secs. behind Pts Prize $
1 Mark Donohue ............................................. Sunoco Javelin 9 $4,000
2 George Follmer ............................................. Bud Moore Mustang :38 6 3,000
3 Peter Revson ................................................. Javelin 1.37 2,500
4 Milt Minter .................................................. Javelin 2.11 2,200
5 Bob Tullius .................................................. . Tempest 2.63 2 1,900
6 Maurice Carter .............................................. Camaro 2.97 1 1,600
7 Marshall Robbins ......................................... Camaro 3.41 1,400
8 Warren Agor .................................................. Camaro 3.82 1,200
9 Paul Nichter .................................................. Camaro 4.80 1,000
10 Paul Jett .................................................. ...... Camaro 4.118 800
11 Warren Tope ................................................. Mustang 6.45 700
12 Jerry Peterson ............................................... Camaro 6.63 600
13 Jerry Thompson ........................................... Mustang 7.48 500
14 Vince Giamondo ............................................ Camaro 7.63 400
15 Walter Parkins ............................................... Camaro 7.102 350
16 W. J. Falkenburgh ......................................... Camaro 8.2 300
17 Don Nehl .................................................. .... Camaro 8.34 250
18 Bob Bienerth ................................................. Camaro 8.115 200
19 Garcia Jazier ................................................. Camaro 9.37 150
20 Alfred Ruys de Perez ................................... Camaro 9.52 150
21 Dave Thomas ................................................ Camaro 9.92 150
22 Steve Ross .................................................. .. Mustang 9.127 100
23 Bob Kiefer .................................................. .. Camaro 10.80 100
24 John Elliot .................................................. ... Camaro 10.116 100
25 Frank Eggers ................................................. Pontiac 15.65 100
26 Frank Riemann .............................................. Camaro 16.22 50
27 Robert Park .................................................. . Camaro 18.30 50
28 Brock Yates .................................................. . Camaro 18.212 50
DID NOT FINISH Laps Completed
29 Ed Hinchcliff ................................................. Mustang 58 broken suspension
30 Tony DeLorenzo .......................................... Mustang 44 rear end
31 Allan Parker .................................................. Camaro 44 overheating
32 Peter Gregg .................................................. . Mustang 40 flat tire
33 J. A. Lagod .................................................. .. Camaro 27 broken suspension
34 Peter Wiseman .............................................. Camaro 21 engine
35 Martin Shook ................................................ Camaro 20 could not restart
36 Dick Hoffman ............................................... Camaro 20 oil leak
37 Ken Stoddard ................................................ Camaro 14 engine
38 Dean Surev .................................................. .. Mustang 11 insufficient laps
39 John Gimbel .................................................. Mustang 5 stuck off road
40 Levester Lewis .............................................. Camaro 3 gas tank fell out

TransAm was one hell of a series back then. I really was hoping with the return of the pony cars (present day Mustang, Camaro and Challenger) that this series would jump on it and get resurrected.

RTKar
09-20-10, 10:01 PM
totally forgot about this race

One amazing Labor Day weekend at MIS. SCCA regionals and the 2500cc and over class of TransAm. Got my introduction to infield cmaping at a race weekend. :D

Revson and Donohue qualified 1 & 2 in a light rain on Sat. They did not run on Friday when everyone else posted preliminary qualifications in the dry.

http://www.1966shelbynotchbackmustang.com/TransAmResults/1971TAresults.pdf

TransAm was one hell of a series back then. I really was hoping with the return of the pony cars (present day Mustang, Camaro and Challenger) that this series would jump on it and get resurrected.

25th place, Frank Eggers...the inventer of the famous RA breakfast treat the "Egger" :p

Indy
09-20-10, 10:14 PM
Mmmmm, Eggers... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

emjaya
09-21-10, 07:43 AM
40 Levester Lewis .............................................. Camaro 3 gas tank fell out

:saywhat:

rabbit
12-27-10, 03:33 PM
This thread got me misty...

God, time flies.