PDA

View Full Version : NHRA spectator killed

dando
02-22-10, 10:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/nhra/news/story?id=4934147

CHANDLER, Ariz. -- A woman died Sunday after being hit by a tire from a crashing dragster at the NHRA Arizona Nationals.

The woman was watching a first-round Top Fuel run at Firebird International Raceway when Antron Brown's Matco Tools/U.S. Army dragster went out of control on the strip and its left rear wheel came off.

:(

-Kevin

Sean Malone
02-22-10, 12:00 PM

Elmo T
02-22-10, 12:06 PM

Today Show showed the video. Twice. Second time in slow motion. :rolleyes:

You only see the tire get launched, but that was enough for me.

dando
02-22-10, 12:19 PM

Today Show showed the video. Twice. Second time in slow motion. :rolleyes:

You only see the tire get launched, but that was enough for me.

I caught a replay during a SC break during Mike & Mike this AM. :irked: I immediately thought of the fans @ Charlotte and MIS. :(

-Kevin

pchall
02-22-10, 12:27 PM
I saw that unfortunate video clip while checking for Olympic updates early this morning. :(

With the size of the drag slick and the proximity of the car to the stands thing could have been a lot worse.

Michaelhatesfans
02-22-10, 03:20 PM
No catch fence... Is that the norm at an NHRA event?:(

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3824310.jpg

NismoZ
02-22-10, 05:09 PM
Fence would probably have to be 100ft. high. Remember where that guy at Indy was sitting when he took a punted tire? TOP row!

Indy
02-22-10, 05:33 PM
Remember where that guy at Indy was sitting when he took a punted tire? TOP row!

Maybe, but they did raise the catch fencing after that.

Hard to believe a racing series can get away with that anymore. Personally, as a spectator, I would take the risk of no fencing, as having to look through one nearly ruins it for me. But surely the insurance companies would require it.

Hard Driver
02-22-10, 07:02 PM
How awful... Go to have some fun and end up losing your life. :(

dando
02-22-10, 07:57 PM

Sadly I believe that is the norm. Kirkersville outside Columbus used to hold the Spring Nationals, and there's no fencing there either. I don't watch a lot of NHRA stuff, but I don't recall seeing fences @ any of the events or clips I've seen. :eek:

-Kevin

Gangrel
02-24-10, 04:55 PM

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3824310.jpg

I have been to many NHRA events at several venues, and have never seen a catch fence. I would have to think the logic here is that:

1) There are no turns, therefore the possibility of centrifugal force sending the tire outside the wall is minimal, and
2) Even if a car or part exits the track, there is a wide paved or grass catwalk between the track wall and the stands, which is off-limits to spectators. Most tracks I have been to, there is 20-30 ft between the nearest spectator and the outside walls of the dragstrip.

I have seen many instances of a car going airborne or partially airborne and leaving the track. However, I can't think of too many times that any part of a car has come anywhere near the spectator areas. I would have to say this one gets chalked up in the freak incidents column.

That said, :(

Michaelhatesfans
02-24-10, 06:29 PM
...I can't think of too many times that any part of a car has come anywhere near the spectator areas. I would have to say this one gets chalked up in the freak incidents column.

That said, :(

Bear in mind I'm not blaming, just asking. I don't really follow drag racing much anymore.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking of the car getting into the stands, so much as the parts coming off of it. Every once in a while I hear of someone getting pelted by a blower or a rod or something.