PDA

View Full Version : Tough times for the Stroker household...

stroker
02-20-10, 09:56 PM
As I'm typing one-handed this will be short. We had a very bad car crash Friday night when a truck pulled out in front of us while we were at 65 mph. The '99 Subaru Forester was totaled in the T-bone collision. I have two broken bones in my left wrist and a broken sternum. Mrs. Stroker's right arm is broken, again at the wrist. We both have badly bruised legs. Ellie (age 2) suffered a concussion but Courtlyn (age 6 weeks) suffered no apparent injuries. The other driver died and his passenger (85 years old) is still in the hospital, condition unknown.

The fact we hit a "stationary" object at highway speed and are in as good shape as we are is a testament to air bags, safety belts and kid seats. We'll keep you posted. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

SteveH
02-20-10, 10:15 PM
Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

You got 'em.

G.
02-20-10, 10:37 PM
I'm there.

TKGAngel
02-20-10, 10:43 PM
Same here.

emjaya
02-20-10, 10:49 PM
And here.

Elmo T
02-20-10, 11:22 PM
Ditto - Glad the kids are going well... :(:thumbup:

dando
02-20-10, 11:24 PM
Always. :(

-Kevin

G.
02-20-10, 11:25 PM
WTF do they do for a broken sternum??

Duck tape and a coupla aspirin?

Heal well, hug hard.

dando
02-20-10, 11:30 PM
WTF do they do for a broken sternum??

Depends on the break. They staple it for open-heart surgery (my step dad has had two bypasses)....the bitch is when they make you cough to keep the lungs clear to avoid pnuemonia. :saywhat: :eek:

-Kevin

trish
02-20-10, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you guys. I'm glad your injuries weren't more severe and that your girls are doing well. You have my thoughts and prayers.

Don Quixote
02-21-10, 12:15 AM
Thoughts and prayers to you and the family. Keep us all updated, OK?

Indy
02-21-10, 12:23 AM
God bless you all.

Methanolandbrats
02-21-10, 12:37 AM
Wow, the Suby did a good job. Take care.

nrc
02-21-10, 01:33 AM
Very glad to hear that you'll be ok. Best wishes to all of you for a quick recovery.

Buckle up, everyone.

opinionated ow
02-21-10, 02:25 AM
Prayers to you all. That's terrible news

Kiwifan
02-21-10, 02:34 AM
Oh mate, take care and get better real soon.

Rusty.

TrueBrit
02-21-10, 01:08 PM
Bloody hell! Glad to hear that you are all relatively alright...prayers for a speedy recovery...

Sean Malone
02-21-10, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear about this! Get well!

devilmaster
02-21-10, 03:28 PM
be well and get well to your entire family stroker....

rosawendel
02-21-10, 03:39 PM
feel better.

oddlycalm
02-21-10, 04:17 PM
Very sorry this happened to you and your outfit. Hope the recovery process is a rapid one for all of you.

oc

nissan gtp
02-21-10, 05:00 PM
just saw this today -- good wishes to you and yours stroker. really bad situation, but all told, you came out of it ok :thumbup:

Gnam
02-21-10, 05:51 PM
Sounds scary as hell. :(
Looking forward to the report that your family has made a full recovery. :thumbup:

grungex
02-21-10, 09:07 PM
Oh my. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, I'm just glad you made it. :eek:

Robstar
02-21-10, 09:23 PM
Woah, that is hardcore!
Glad you're OK

RaceGrrl
02-22-10, 01:54 AM
Wishing you a quick recovery. So glad you all made it through.

Ankf00
02-22-10, 03:29 AM
:eek: jeebus.

glad your family is relatively ok. get well

Michaelhatesfans
02-22-10, 03:34 AM
Glad the kids are going well... :(:thumbup:

Inded - my first thought, as well.

TravelGal
02-22-10, 05:24 AM
Gone for two days and return to read this! OMG. I'm so glad you are well enough to type at all. When I was 17 (first year of legal driving in NJ) I had a crash that totaled my car. I know it takes a bit to get over that so you will all be in my prayers for some time and not just for the physical injuries.

ChampcarShark
02-22-10, 01:37 PM
Thoughts and prayers for a prompt recovery. Glad to hear the little ones are OK.

cameraman
02-22-10, 03:17 PM
Glad to hear that the car seats did their job. Get well.

JLMannin
02-22-10, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery. Sounds like the cars safety equipment did its job.

Thank goodness for car seats. Make sure you replace them, the accident may have compromised them.

I know, 1,000,000 other things much more pressing on your mind right now.

Easy
02-23-10, 11:57 AM
Amen on the car seats. Take care.

stroker
02-25-10, 12:10 AM
Need some guidance from the board. We need to decide whether to have my insurance pay our bills then seek payback from other guy's insurance company OR have the other guy's other insurance pay up front. I'm thinking I could use an atty but with fees it could end up costing a bunch more. Suggested resources?

SteveH
02-25-10, 01:14 AM
Has the other party's insurance admitted 100% liability?

I was involved in an accident in Jan., it took about a week before the other insurance company admitted 100% liability and then they took care of all the bills. But my insurance was ready to cover me and would have pursued subrogation for reimbursement. I would have been out the deductible until my insurance company recovered that. I didn't do anything until the issue of liability was clarified, then I took payment directly from their insurer. However, the claims were no where near what yours is and no medical, either. What does your insurance agent recommend? If there are any doubts about getting payment, then go with your insurance company and let them battle the other company. But I am by no means an expert.

TravelGal
02-25-10, 05:01 PM
No advice only comment on my experience. I was rear-ended by a small truck owned by a company (not an individual). I hired a lawyer recommended by a (now former) friend. She was an idiot but I completed the pair by agreeing to her exorbitant fee before realizing I could have gotten away with less. Perhaps because it was a company's insurance forking out the dough, I got a decent settlement even after the attorney's usurious fee.

Can't hurt to call an attorney. They know how much you might get and your likelihood of getting it. If they will take the case on contingency, you know they think they'll get a settlement. There is a typical schedule for this sort of stuff, just like "reasonable and customary" in medical procedures.

dando
02-25-10, 05:12 PM
What they said. A consult with an attorney is advisable in this case. $.02...

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-25-10, 05:31 PM
Need some guidance from the board. We need to decide whether to have my insurance pay our bills then seek payback from other guy's insurance company OR have the other guy's other insurance pay up front. I'm thinking I could use an atty but with fees it could end up costing a bunch more. Suggested resources?

The other guy was at fault, so your insurance company pays your bills and then they sue the other guys insurance company to recover their money. That's why you pay for insurance, you don't have to do much of anything.

cameraman
02-25-10, 09:31 PM
You should not need an attorney for this.
Your insurance company has a job to do, let them do it.

RaceGrrl
02-26-10, 10:30 AM
Since there were injuries involved, from a medical perspective, I think it would be wise to at least consult with an attorney. You do not yet know what the long-term effects of your injuries may be, and if you allow the other insurance company to handle it, you'll be in for a hassle if you continue to have physical issues. Insurance companies want to settle these bills as soon as possible because they don't want to be on the hook later for accident related health problems. Protect yourself.

stroker
02-26-10, 11:56 AM
Here's the car. The star pattern on the windshield (passenger side) is where my wife broke her hand/wrist.

TrueBrit
02-26-10, 01:17 PM
Here's the car. The star pattern on the windshield (passenger side) is where my wife broke her hand/wrist.

Bloody hell!:eek:

dando
02-26-10, 02:33 PM
:eek: x11

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-26-10, 02:56 PM

That is why drunks are hurt far less frequently. They don't try to brace themselves - or so my paramedic friends are always telling me.

Impact squarely on the front - crumple zone crumpled as advertised. All things considered, that car held up remarkably well. :thumbup:

No airbags or just not visible in the photo?

stroker
02-26-10, 03:19 PM
No airbags or just not visible in the photo?

oh, yeah, they deployed.

Gnam
02-26-10, 03:47 PM
Now you got a shootin' car. :gomer::thumbup:

oddlycalm
02-26-10, 04:31 PM
What RaceGrrl said. You and your family had a massive high G load shunt with substantial injury. Signing off on a settlement before you are 100% certain that there won't be any long term medical issues isn't wise. Give the dust time to settle and the swelling to subside. Long term issues = pre-existing condition and life-long problems getting medical coverage. Until you're 100% certain that's not the case don't settle. Insurance companies play to win.

oc

Anteater
02-26-10, 10:46 PM
OMG, stroker--hope you all heal up quickly! The fact that you all survived is a testament to the Subie's safety features.

nrc
02-26-10, 11:21 PM
That looks like a five star crash rating to me. Very impressive that there's no apparent deformation behind the A-pillar after an accident of that magnitude. :thumbup:

Gnam
02-27-10, 04:30 AM
found an example for calculating impact g forces: http://www.e-z.net/~ts/physics.htm
*results may vary depending on assumptions and my ability to do math in public. :gomer:

1. '99 Subaru Forester:
curb weight = 3058 lbs
Stroker family + gear = 350 lbs
Total weight = 3408 lbs
initial velocity = 65 mph

2. Truck (assume 1995 Ford F150):
curb weight = 3982 lbs
passengers + gear = 400 lbs
Total weight = 4382 lbs
initial velocity = 0 mph

Conservation of Momentum:
3. before collision
Momentum = Mass(car) x Velocity(car) + Mass(truck) x Velocity (truck)
= (3408 x 65) + (4382 x 0)
= 221,520

4. Momentum before = Momentum after
221,520 = (3408 x V) + (4382 x V)
V = 221,520/(3408+4382)
V= 28.4 mph after

5. Assume Subaru shortened 12" by collision
6. Assume Truck side pushed in 12" by collision

Subaru moves 12"+12" = 24", or [2'-0"] during collision
Avg velocity during collision: (65+28.4 mph)/2 = 46.7 mph, or [68.5 ft/sec]

7. Duration of impact: Time = Distance/Velocity
T = 2'-0"/68.5 ft/sec = 0.03 sec

8. Change in Velocity = (65-28.4 mph) = 36.6 mph, or [53.7 ft/sec]

9. Deceleration = Change in Velocity/Duration
D = 53.7 ft/sec / 0.03 sec = 1790 ft/sec/sec = 56 g <--- :eek:

**bonus blueprint of 1999 Subaru Forester: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/cars/subaru/subaru-forester.gif

stroker
02-27-10, 11:21 AM
that's very interesting! However, we didn't come to a dead stop--we spun counter-clockwise about 160 degrees and came to a stop about 40 feet down the road (simultaneously). I'd assume a change in V from 65 to 20 mph. The other truck was a 2000 S-10. It rotated about 270 degrees and moved about 30 feet as well. I'd estimate it went from 0 to, what, 10 mph (?) then back to 0.

I wish I had two good typing hands...

cameraman
02-27-10, 02:44 PM
That you are typing at all...

oddlycalm
02-27-10, 05:47 PM
that's very interesting! However, we didn't come to a dead stop--we spun counter-clockwise about 160 degrees and came to a stop about 40 feet down the road (simultaneously). I'd assume a change in V from 65 to 20 mph...

So, only 45-50g's then...? :eek: No matter how you slice the G force it this was a massive shunt and I'm real glad you and your outfit are around so we can the details can be discussed, one hand tying or not. :thumbup:

oc

dando
02-27-10, 06:26 PM
I wish I had two good typing hands...

Meh. I type one-handed quite often. ;) :gomer:

Best to all. :thumbup:

-Kevin

rosawendel
02-27-10, 09:16 PM
is it still too early to observe that the mirrors still work?

Gangrel
03-01-10, 11:53 AM

I've been down this road a few times already. The answer is not what you would expect. I would recommend you talk to an attorney, as they will steer you in the right direction. My advice would be to put the claims on your health insurance (assuming you have health insurance), then let the health insurance company and the two auto providers sort it out.

Hard Driver
03-01-10, 02:47 PM
You have my thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery. I am sad to hear of the other person's death and their injuries. While it may be 100% their fault, I am sure even being involved in such a serious accident is very traumatizing.

stroker
03-11-10, 09:39 AM
Saw the doc yesterday morning. They x-rayed the arm. It's "collapsing", which means the wrist bones are compressing (longitudinally) onto the ends of the broken arm bones and preventing the fractures/chips from healing correctly. They ARE healing, so technically it's healing incorrectly or "crooked", which will ultimately result in a wrist flexibility roughly the same as a door hinge with very loose mounting screws. Obviously no good. Surgery is scheduled for 45 min from now. It's outpatient surgery and I should be home for lunch. They'll "undo" the healing so far and insert a titanium plate that will reference the wrist/arm bones lengthwise. Sounds like it's a hell of a mess, with one arm bone having at least four distinct fractures by itself. The doc describes it (looking me straight in the eye) as "challenging surgery". They'll drain my leg bruise again while I'm under for the wrist surgery and that should be the end of that problem as well.

The good news is that I should have a simple (short) cast afterwards offering much more capability to help Mrs. Stroker with the girls (e.g. being able to change diapers).

Elmo T
03-11-10, 09:43 AM
Hang in there - these things take a long time to heal correctly.

Orthopedics never ceases to amaze me - nothing like medical work with Craftsman tools. ;)

I hope everyone else is doing well... :thumbup:

SteveH
03-11-10, 10:34 AM
best of luck Stroker :thumbup:

hang in there, better days ahead

Don Quixote
03-11-10, 10:44 AM
Good luck. Expecting frequent updates!

ChampcarShark
03-11-10, 02:24 PM
Hope everything went well by now.

Just be patient, healing correctly takes a while.

dando
03-11-10, 02:31 PM
Hang tough, Stroker. Just make sure they get it right so you can properly grip a beer. ;) How's that cracked sternum doing?

-Kevin

oddlycalm
03-11-10, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear you're having to take a step back. I'm sure it's all gotten real old by now. The good news is that the day will come when it's behind you, just not for a while yet.

oc

Indy
03-11-10, 04:30 PM
Sorry you are going through this, stroker. Sending good vibes your way.

grungex
03-11-10, 05:50 PM
Ditto, here's to your recovery!

devilmaster
03-11-10, 05:57 PM
good luck stroker....

TravelGal
03-11-10, 06:39 PM
I've been checking in every day to get some news on your progress. This isn't quite what I was expecting--nor you either I'm sure. Still, it means extreme care is being taken and a plan is in place. I sure hope this morning went well for you. Let us know!

stroker
03-11-10, 09:07 PM
Well, the surgery supposedly went well based on what the doc told the missus. From my perspective it's sucked pretty bad so far. The arm hurt FAR worse immediately after the surgery than when the original accident happened. Percocet helped but I've been nauseous and felt lousy since being released. I'm sure things will improve (ate something for the first time in 24 hours--let's see if I can keep it down...) but it's not much fun. Okay, I'm done whining now. Thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks for all your good wishes and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I'll keep you updated when the swelling goes down and we get a new cast.

Any recommendations on hiring a nurse to help with the kids?

Sean Malone
03-12-10, 11:49 AM
Well, the surgery supposedly went well based on what the doc told the missus. From my perspective it's sucked pretty bad so far. The arm hurt FAR worse immediately after the surgery than when the original accident happened. Percocet helped but I've been nauseous and felt lousy since being released. I'm sure things will improve (ate something for the first time in 24 hours--let's see if I can keep it down...) but it's not much fun. Okay, I'm done whining now. Thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks for all your good wishes and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I'll keep you updated when the swelling goes down and we get a new cast.

The hotter the better.

Sorry you're going through this!

devilmaster
03-12-10, 02:22 PM
The hotter the better.

I heard that you were feeling ill,
Headache, fever and a chill.
I came to help restore your pluck!
Cause I'm the nurse who likes to..... get dm banned from OC.

http://grupthinkpro.s3.amazonaws.com/grupthinklive8d274b4e2b790e8866cb0ccb5eb9a5fc

Ankf00
03-12-10, 09:35 PM
you should be milking all the non-diaper duty you can! :D

glad the surgery went well. :)

TravelGal
03-13-10, 02:11 AM

Vent all you like. Sounds like either the anesthesia or the Percocet don't agree with your digestive system. The first one will wear off but if it's the second, ask for a different form of pain evasion.

Perhaps Mrs Stroker should do the nurse selection. Unless you want more broken body parts, that is.

Michaelhatesfans
03-13-10, 02:14 AM

Avoid anyone who says that they're your biggest fan.

Mr. Toad
04-18-10, 10:25 PM
Amen on the car seats. Take care.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding forward facing (stage 2) car seats?

Little Molly-Jean is growing like a weed.

cameraman
04-19-10, 12:50 AM
Without a second's hesitation I will recommend the Britax Marathon. My son has been in it for 4+ years now and he isn't close to out growing it. In forward facing mode it is rated 20 to 65 lbs with an overall height under 49". My son is 5 1/2 and he has 5" and 20 lbs to go. He will probably decide he is too old for it before he actually gets too big for it. Once the other kids have all moved on to the booster variety the peer pressure will probably drive the switch.

The seat has been great, we have two, one for each car and the 5 point harness works very well and the seat seems to be very comfortable. At least we have never had any complaints about it from him.

rosawendel
04-19-10, 07:57 AM
agreed. britax marathon.
as a bonus, all the fabric parts come out so you can wash them (good for barfies and smushed rasins). just pay attention to how the straps all work before you take them out.

dando
04-19-10, 01:36 PM
Britax is pretty much considered the Rolls Royce of car seats. We have a set of Eddie Bauer car seats (http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Deluxe-Booster-Astoria/dp/B001FB5BB6) that have done well for us the past ~6 years. We've since moved to booster seats for the short hauls to and from daycare, but keep the car seats for the long hauls. I don't like seeing the girls slumped over asleep in booster seats. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Elmo T
04-19-10, 03:34 PM
We also went the Britax route for the first real car seat. We have one leaving the booster age but the little guy still uses the booster with the back and head support.

Safety and comfort for the kids all the way. Have them test them out in the store. Some have various slides, connections, clips, etc that may make the seat uncomfortable for the kids.