PDA

View Full Version : America's Cup?

dando
02-14-10, 02:21 PM
I used to stay up until the wee hours watching Connor, etc. contest the Cup down under, but I had no idea the Cup was being contested now.

Larry Ellison's space-age trimaran BMW Oracle has won back the America's Cup for the United States by speeding across the Mediterranean to rout two-time defending champion Alinghi of Switzerland for a two-race sweep.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4913750

Anyway, congrats to Oracle...you not only won the Cup, but Sun, too. :gomer:

-Kevin

cameraman
02-14-10, 04:40 PM
Last couple times around Versus covered the Cup and did a very good job. Not so much this time.:shakehead

dando
02-14-10, 04:47 PM
Last couple times around Versus covered the Cup and did a very good job. Not so much this time.:shakehead

Did anyone cover this? I never saw a single mention about the races until after the fact. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

oddlycalm
02-14-10, 05:02 PM
I used to stay up until the wee hours watching Connor, etc. contest the Cup down under, but I had no idea the Cup was being contested now.
From what I can tell it was in Versus, which kinda explains why it was such a well kept secret. :gomer:

Seems like we missed a court battle almost as interesting as the race itself over interpretation of the Deed Of Gift.

oc

Cam
02-14-10, 06:38 PM
Jeebuzz this whole thing has become a farce. :rolleyes: :yuck: :saywhat:

G.
02-14-10, 07:54 PM
Did anyone cover this? I never saw a single mention about the races until after the fact. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin
I stumbled across a beautiful pic of the ship (on TF, I believe. No, really!) and mentally made a note to try and catch coverage.

Notsomuch I guess.

Uh, go USA!

KLang
02-15-10, 08:00 AM
Kinda OT, if you ever get to St. Martin on vacation there is a place in Philipsburg where you can go out racing on old America's Cup yachts. We were on the Canada II, vintage 1987. Very cool experience.

Boatdesigner
02-15-10, 11:02 AM
My understanding is that Ellison was unhappy with how the Challenger series was being organized and the rules that were being written for the next Cup defense. So he used a section of the Deed of Gift that controls the whole event to challenge the Swiss (I may be geographically challenged, but when did Switzerland become an "arm of the sea" as is required in the Deed? If it is an "arm of the sea", why do they need to defend the cup in Spain?) for the Cup one-on-one, like the Kiwis did to Dennis Connor years ago with their big monohull. I read the report on the first race, the US boat won by over 15 minutes. I haven't seen a report on the second race yet, only one saying the US won.

It has become a farce lately, but much of that I blame on the Swiss/Italian syndicate who have been running it. It was never meant to be anything more than a gentleman's race, it wasn't supposed to be a big money making event. If they had any sense, they'd realize it never will be a money maker, just rich boys with expensive toys. Nothing wrong with that mind you, that is what pays a few boat designers their meager incomes, but they could at least be honest with themselves!

dando
02-15-10, 11:04 AM
Kinda OT, if you ever get to St. Martin on vacation there is a place in Philipsburg where you can go out racing on old America's Cup yachts. We were on the Canada II, vintage 1987. Very cool experience.

It's St. Maarten, yo. :gomer: They had one on Hilton Head Island a few years ago...we were supposed to go one to watch dolphins, but it was miserable that year. Not sure if it's still there or not.

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-16-10, 04:38 PM
It's St. Maarten, yo. :gomer: They had one on Hilton Head Island a few years ago...we were supposed to go one to watch dolphins, but it was miserable that year. Not sure if it's still there or not.

-Kevin

Thanks Kev. I was wondering . :confused: You can also sail on some of the yachts in Auckland HarboUr. It's a fun day's outing. :thumbup:

Too sad that the event itself has diminished so.

pchall
02-16-10, 08:52 PM
Another great sporting event ruined.

Cam
02-17-10, 10:56 AM
Another great sporting event ruined.

Yup! :flame:

Kiwifan
02-17-10, 01:25 PM
Just more rich guys playing biggest dick games.:shakehead

Methanolandbrats
02-17-10, 02:20 PM
Just more rich guys playing biggest dick games.:shakehead
Exactly.

Steve99
02-17-10, 04:37 PM
"I am so proud of this team, I am so proud to be part of this team, and I am especially proud to bring the America's Cup, once again, after a long absence, back to the United States of America," said Ellison, the CEO of Oracle Corp.
I wonder how much money he wasted on this event that no one knew was even happening.

cameraman
02-17-10, 09:00 PM
I wonder how much money he wasted on this event that no one knew was even happening.

Not quite as much as Tony George but close.

Ankf00
02-17-10, 09:17 PM
I think Larry Ellison's earned the right to piss away as much cash money as he pleases

cameraman
05-06-14, 06:34 PM
Ah the times they have changed since 2010. Anyway the America's Cup ran ginormous catamarans and they are now trying to pay the billing competing in the Extreme Sailing Series which is cool to watch if it happens at a harbor near you. The last race was in Qingdao China a couple days ago and the Red Bull crew got it wrong, very, very wrong.

14dA-qLmNZo

Gnam
05-07-14, 01:12 AM
Damn the torpedoes! Ramming speed!

Excellent Greek trireme impression. :thumbup: