PDA

View Full Version : Century old fresnel vandalized

oddlycalm
02-13-10, 06:01 AM
On a day when people were gunned down at a college this may seem like no big deal. Back on January 10th someone shot up the historic Cape Meares light house including the 110yr old 1st order Fresnel lens that allowed an oil lamp to be seen 21mi out at sea. The two meat heads managed to do $500,000 worth of damage for no other reason than they felt like it. :( Hopefully they will spend a good bit of the rest of their lives making restitution.

Fresnel lenses were a brilliant invention and this one had be keeping ship off the rocks for a very long time. It was always kelp polished and was like a large jewel.

Light house shot up (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/two_arrested_in_shattering_of.html)

In March 1887 Congress passed the bill to build a lighthouse on Cape Meares. A wagon road was built from the bay to the site, and construction began in the spring of 1889. The first-order Fresnel lens, made in France, was shipped to the cape in crates. It was assembled in the tower by matching the numbers inscribed on the brass frames of each section. It remained in service until 1963 when an automatic electric lighthouse replaced it.

http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/180px-MuseeMarine-phareFresnel-p1000466.jpg

Light house history (https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/Buildings/meares.html)

oc

Indy
02-13-10, 11:47 AM
That is infuriating.

I am in favor of indentured servitude for restitution. Those degenerate sub-humans should be worked to death if necessary to pay for the damage they did. Perhaps selling their organs would help.

:gettinglesstolerantwithage:

SteveH
02-13-10, 11:51 AM
damned idiots :thumdown:

i hope they get a cell mate named Bubba that takes a liking to them

dando
02-13-10, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=Indy;270892 Perhaps selling their organs would help.
[/QUOTE]

8tmLvzubP3I

:D

I hope those use these two for target practice. :saywhat:

-Kevin

chop456
02-13-10, 02:48 PM
Losers.

I've never even seen one like that. Up close, I've only seen one that was 2-sided, like back-to-back wedding cakes for lack of a non-stupid sounding description. :gomer: Taken out of the Rock Harbor Light at Isle Royale, MI when they went automated. Very cool, big and heavy looking.

Methanolandbrats
02-13-10, 05:11 PM
Losers.

I've never even seen one like that. Up close, I've only seen one that was 2-sided, like back-to-back wedding cakes for lack of a non-stupid sounding description. :gomer: Taken out of the Rock Harbor Light at Isle Royale, MI when they went automated. Very cool, big and heavy looking.
There's a nice one in the Duluth Ship Channel Museum. Lots of interesting information too.

cameraman
02-13-10, 05:12 PM
The real kick is they won't get much of anything done to them - the jails are too full with worse asshats and for whatever reason Judges rarely demand full restitution.

I like the chain gang idea. The length of sentence & the food provided need to be directly linked to job performance though.

oddlycalm
02-13-10, 05:24 PM
Up close, I've only seen one that was 2-sided, like back-to-back wedding cakes for lack of a non-stupid sounding description. :gomer: Taken out of the Rock Harbor Light at Isle Royale, MI when they went automated. Very cool, big and heavy looking.

Yeah, I'm no expert on Fresnels, but I do know that it represented a pinnacle of human achievement at the time of it's invention early in the 19th century. So did making it and getting it there.

I spent a week one summer serving myself as mosquito food on Isle Royale and walking the ridges. Spectacular.

oc

chop456
02-13-10, 06:08 PM
I spent a week one summer serving myself as mosquito food on Isle Royale and walking the ridges. Spectacular.

oc

Spring and fall are your friends. Waking up at 22F on Memorial Day ain't all that great, though. Never thought a Moose would scare me more than a Wolf but I was wrong. :saywhat:

oddlycalm
02-13-10, 06:57 PM
Spring and fall are your friends. Waking up at 22F on Memorial Day ain't all that great, though. Never thought a Moose would scare me more than a Wolf but I was wrong. :saywhat:
Yeah, I was thinking about a pre-hatch or post-frost strategy all week long. :laugh: It's actually one of the things that attracted me to Oregon. Did a bicycle ride from Vancouver, BC to San Fran when I was in HS and discovered that Oregon had the northern piney woods and water thing but without biting insects, at least not west of the Cascades. :thumbup:

A moose is just too large to ignore. I didn't see either the week I was there. Probably the loud cussing about mosquitoes and deer flies alerted them. :gomer:

oc

Methanolandbrats
02-13-10, 08:24 PM
Bears almost always run away from people, while moose almost always stomp the **** out of people. That's the major difference between the two animals.

Ankf00
02-14-10, 05:40 AM
moose are like koreans.

both consider dog delicacy :gomer:

:D

oddlycalm
02-14-10, 05:20 PM
Moose don't like dogs, and they may stomp them, but they are strictly veggie eaters. Word is that they have an affinity for flying squirrels....:gomer:

oc

oddlycalm
02-17-10, 09:33 PM
My friend Harry up in the Great White North at Ice Station Calgary sent me this one without explanation...:cool:

oc

chop456
02-18-10, 03:08 AM
Where's the next pic showing the now-two dimensional cat? :D