PDA

View Full Version : Sebring '010

NismoZ
02-10-10, 02:15 PM
Wow, 27 ALMS entries for the feb. test.:(

Trevor Longman
02-10-10, 05:43 PM
Thats actually not bad. Corvette is doing their testing in private so they aren't included in that entry list. Peugeot isn't going to the winter test and a few GT's aren't going to be there. Trust me, this season will be MUCH better than '09.

NismoZ
02-12-10, 01:59 PM
No, it's bad. TWO P-1s, maybe 3 P-2s a few (11?) GTs and the rest C-newbies? Looks extraordinarily weak to me.

Gnam
03-16-10, 08:32 PM
No, it's bad. TWO P-1s, maybe 3 P-2s a few (11?) GTs and the rest C-newbies? Looks extraordinarily weak to me.

There'll be one less LMP1 as Jon Field wrote his Intersport Lola off yesterday.
He was released from the hospital today, but the team is withdrawing from the race.

story: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=360512&FS=ALMS-LEMANS

photos: http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2010&S=ALMS&E=Sebring/Monday_test_session_2

Methanolandbrats
03-16-10, 09:37 PM
There'll be one less LMP1 as Jon Field wrote his Intersport Lola off yesterday.
He was released from the hospital today, but the team is withdrawing from the race.

story: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=360512&FS=ALMS-LEMANS

photos: http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2010&S=ALMS&E=Sebring/Monday_test_session_2 Here's hoping the French Junk breaks and Dyson wins :thumbup:

Fio1
03-16-10, 09:48 PM
Anybody else think that the ALMS web site is pain to navigate? It's a cluster F&&& trying to find anything like results from today's sessions.

rosawendel
03-17-10, 07:05 AM
Anybody else think that the ALMS web site is pain to navigate? It's a cluster F&&& trying to find anything like results from today's sessions.

it's not as bad as speed's.

NismoZ
03-17-10, 10:41 AM
Any pics of the "new" R-15...I'm certain the aero is quite different.

Methanolandbrats
03-17-10, 11:24 AM
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch10.html

pchall
03-18-10, 09:10 AM

It is a mess, but at least you care enough to be bothered about that. Nobody here has complained about the Daytona Crapotype site. ;)

NismoZ
03-19-10, 06:13 PM
Wow. 34 cars...5 P1s, 3 P2s. I wonder what fan support will be like?

extramundane
03-19-10, 07:37 PM
Wow. 34 cars...5 P1s, 3 P2s. I wonder what fan support will be like?

Drunk and looking for boobs.

Gnam
03-19-10, 07:41 PM
Rain is supposed to hold off until Sunday afternoon, so they won't be muddy. :p

cameraman
03-20-10, 11:17 AM
Gentiloser is up to his usual standards. Out in the first half hour:rolleyes:

How the hell does that tool rate a Le Mans invite:irked:

Fio1
03-20-10, 11:20 AM
I think Pirro is pissed that he got cut from the Audi squad. Did you see his moves in hour 1 & 2? WOW!!!!!:D:thumbup:

cameraman
03-20-10, 11:41 AM
What the hell did that guy do to the tire barrier? That yellow took forever...

Trevor Longman
03-20-10, 12:23 PM
Nice of Alexander Wurz to make a mention of Greg Moore in his interview. Apparently he teamed with him for the '97 FIA GT race in Sebring. He had some very kind words for him. Overall it hasn't been a bad race thus far. Pirro in the Drayson Lola has been a pleasant surprise and the GT2 battles have been fantastic!

FCYTravis
03-20-10, 02:13 PM
What the hell did that guy do to the tire barrier? That yellow took forever...

My guess: to save money, the ALMS borrowed Grand-Am's cleanup crew for the weekend.

"OK now, we need another two commercial breaks, you know what to do."

extramundane
03-20-10, 02:35 PM
My guess: to save money, the ALMS borrowed Grand-Am's cleanup crew for the weekend.

"OK now, we need another two commercial breaks, you know what to do."

Maybe Carl Haas got the cleanup crew too.

Gnam
03-20-10, 04:09 PM
The Corvettes should blame all their woes on Speed. Their pit lane adventures started happening after Speed's announcer complimented their pit crews as the "best in the business". :gomer:

Jaguar needs to repo Gentiloser's car. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
03-20-10, 04:24 PM
Just tuned back in. This crap reminds me of Champ Car a couple years before it died.

extramundane
03-20-10, 05:20 PM
Just tuned back in. This crap reminds me of Champ Car a couple years before it died.

Just wait 'til Gentilozzi gets an ownership stake.

cameraman
03-20-10, 06:07 PM
I'm not a fan of these pit rules. Making the Lizard sit there for several laps is idiotic.

extramundane
03-20-10, 11:03 PM
Rocketsports made 11 whole laps! I hope Goossens and Dalziel got paid upfront.

FCYTravis
03-20-10, 11:11 PM
That race was extra mundane.

extramundane
03-20-10, 11:53 PM
That race was extra mundane.

Nah, even I'm not *that* boring.

Methanolandbrats
03-21-10, 12:15 AM
The announcers deserve a big thumbs up for talking non-stop for hours and hours and trying to make that **** seem exciting when all it was is a bunch of rich guys and and ankle biters chasing factory Frog mobiles. Just shut it down or merge with Grand Am, WGAF.

NismoZ
03-21-10, 10:48 AM
MONDOmundane.

oddlycalm
03-21-10, 03:55 PM
TG killed CART and now the Frances have killed sports car and motorcycle road racing. Sad that we have zero recourse.

oc

TrueBrit
03-21-10, 04:26 PM
I must have watched a different race..?? I thought there was tons of action all over the place. I would like to have seen the Peugots pushed harder, but they deserved the win..good stuff all around..although Bell Jr needs to STFU..he's another guy that got where he solely through his membership in the lucky fperm club..:shakehead

Oh, and I loved the Jaguar commericals touting the XKF as an awesome motor whilst the gentiltosser version puked it's fluids all over pitlane...

extramundane
03-21-10, 06:58 PM
Oh, and I loved the Jaguar commericals touting the XKF as an awesome motor whilst the gentiltosser version puked it's fluids all over pitlane...

Such a welcome addition. They should perform splendidly at LeMans. :laugh:

NismoZ
03-21-10, 07:14 PM
Where's Ecurie Ecosse when you need 'em?:) Or Bob Tullius! The only redeeming component of the "race" was hope the GT(2) class can expand and bring us real variety, competition and entertainment instead of the 12 hour foregone conclusion we watched. I give it :thumdown::thumdown:

FCYTravis
03-21-10, 10:34 PM
TG killed CART and now the Frances have killed sports car and motorcycle road racing. Sad that we have zero recourse.
Ah yes, it's all Grand-Am's fault that Don Panoz is so infatuated with the words "Le Mans" that he's made his entire series revolve around one race in June. In France.

When John Bishop owned IMSA, he told the Frogs to **** off and wrote his own rulebook. What we got was the most popular and competitive era of sports prototype racing North America has ever seen. Would that Panoz would take a page from that book.

stroker
03-21-10, 11:43 PM
When John Bishop owned IMSA, he told the Frogs to **** off and wrote his own rulebook. What we got was the most popular and competitive era of sports prototype racing North America has ever seen. Would that Panoz would take a page from that book.

Do be careful... When I basically suggested the AMA do the same thing about Superbike racing in a different thread I was accused of: "good old flag waving 'mericun patriotism! :laugh:"

:saywhat:

I'd hate to see you get tagged as an Ameri-centric xenophobe...

Trevor Longman
03-22-10, 01:19 AM

Simply put, you're wrong. Yes the racing in the IMSA days was great but it is common knowledge that a universal formula makes just about everything better. BMW can now take the car they've proven over here to Le Mans and prove itself on a world stage. That kind of ability breeds manufacturer involvement. I will wholeheartedly agree that the ALMS prototype ranks are pitiful for the time being, but there are strong rumors pointing towards many new LMP programs including those from Porsche and Toyota for next year when the new regulations kick in. The reason the prototype field is so slim is because of the obvious lapse in the world economy and also because no one in their right mind would feel compelled to invest in designing a new top level prototype when their car will be illegal just 1 year later.

No one can argue that Panoz has put together a fantastic GT field. The amount of manufacturer involvement in its current state is fantastic and they never fail to put on a good show. Covette, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, (and technically Jaguar but Gentilozzi's got his head up his ass so they really don't count) all have race winning factory programs in there and all of them are competitive. Just look at the last 1/2 hour of Mosport of Laguna Seca last year and you'll see.

TBH I feel like everyone here has nothing better to do than complain about every single form of racing out there simply because its not what "its used to be" or "its not as good as CART was in its heyday". Lets face it, nothing is ever going to be as good as that. TG and the Daytona Mafia have screwed things up so badly its impossible for anything worth watching to get back to where CART was. I've accepted this fact and thoroughly enjoyed watching the racing this weekend. WRC in Mexico, V8's in Adelaide and of course, Sebring. Sure, this edition of Sebring wasn't great but it's better than most of the other crap out there. Sure we would all love to have CART back but I've moved on and now my memories of CART live on in old VHS's and youtube videos but I don't let it impose on my enjoyment of racing today.

FCYTravis
03-22-10, 01:49 AM
It is common knowledge that a universal formula makes just about everything better.

"Common knowledge" has to bow to the reality that running American sports car racing under French rules has been a complete bust.

There are strong rumors pointing towards many new LMP programs including those from Porsche and Toyota for next year when the new regulations kick in.

Are you seriously going to bring up "wait until next year" again? We've heard that every year for the last ten years now.

It's always "wait for the new regulations." Thing is, the genius rulemakers at the ACO change the regulations every time they take a dump. So nobody builds cars for those regulations except the zillion-dollar factory efforts. That's what the ACO wants. The only thing they care about is a field full of fancy expensive works teams for one race a year.

FCYTravis
03-22-10, 01:59 AM
I'd hate to see you get tagged as an Ameri-centric xenophobe...

That's OK, I'm already a Grand-Am shill because I worked for a DP team a couple years ago, so I guess Ameri-centric xenophobe goes nicely with that. :laugh:

pchall
03-22-10, 07:33 AM
"Common knowledge" has to bow to the reality that running American sports car racing under French rules has been a complete bust.

I agree. Getting the ACO LeMans centered rulebook out of North American sports car racing is the only way to go. The difficulty is that it is probably too late to save professional sports car racing here from either the French or the France Family.

Indy
03-22-10, 08:58 AM
Ah yes, it's all Grand-Am's fault that Don Panoz is so infatuated with the words "Le Mans" that he's made his entire series revolve around one race in June. In France.

So I suppose we should support Grand Am and its profoundly American crapotype rules? No thanks.

Let's face it. No American top level racing thrives today because the series', except for ALMS, all conform to the P.T. Barnum philosophy of showmanship. In essence, everything American is garbage racing.

So, do I like the obstinate, self-interested, fickle Frenchies? No. But they are far better at what they do than the Boss Hawgs down in Daytona or their inbred cousins in Indy. Don Panoz had the right idea, and now his is the only relevant racing in the U.S.

Easy
03-22-10, 11:22 AM
I hope Goossens and Dalziel got paid upfront.

Or at all.

G.
03-22-10, 12:29 PM
So I suppose we should support Grand Am and its profoundly American crapotype rules? No thanks.

Let's face it. No American top level racing thrives today because the series', except for ALMS, all conform to the P.T. Barnum philosophy of showmanship. In essence, everything American is garbage racing.

So, do I like the obstinate, self-interested, fickle Frenchies? No. But they are far better at what they do than the Boss Hawgs down in Daytona or their inbred cousins in Indy. Don Panoz had the right idea, and now his is the only relevant racing in the U.S.
NHRA seems to be run fairly well, right?

I'll still take ALMS over anything else we got.

cameraman
03-22-10, 02:16 PM

No manufacturer is going to invest in an R15 or a 908 unless it can run in both North America and Europe. That means one set of rules and the number one race on the planet is controlled by the ACO so ACO rules it is.

The economic meltdown sure didn't help the prototype ranks this year and karma was unkind to the Falken/Lizard/Corvette segment of the GT2 race. The spec classes did not detract from the race and the even made the GT2 class a bit more interesting by providing an ample number of picks which they normally would not have.

The racing is what it is this year but the ALMS is the only series that provides true top end racing in the US. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater is never a good idea.

Fio1
03-23-10, 12:42 AM
Mike Rockenfeller crashed the 2010 R15+ Audi today at Sebring in Turn 17. Not sure how bad it is, and if it will effect tomorrow's test. But, Audi only have 1 2010 R15 there so it may have serious consequences.

Check http://www.autohebdo.fr/endurance/le-mans/breve-27-5-6198/220310-audi-dans-le-mur-a-sebring-

for story. In French, but at least you'll know I'm not making s****e up.

cameraman
03-23-10, 02:46 AM
It is seriously bent up. The right rear wheel, hub & upright are no longer connected to the car. The front end looks rather battered too. Then again the Audi crew is pretty impressive so it may be fixed tomorrow. It is going to cost them some serious coin though.

Trevor Longman
03-23-10, 03:25 PM
Where did you see that?

cameraman
03-24-10, 03:57 AM
Daily Sports Car

Costs money...

pchall
03-24-10, 06:56 AM

>>Audi began a 5 day test starting this past Monday in order to shakedown the updated Audi R15 plus. *In spite a significant off yesterday in Turn 17 that reduced the one and only R15 plus into jagged carbon bits, the car was back on track this morning, according to Robin Thompson. *

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch10.html

Free, and worth every penny of it. ;)