PDA

View Full Version : I Hate that I Hated 'Inglorious Bastards'.

Sean Malone
02-09-10, 11:02 AM
Because I love both Tarantino films and WW2 movies, from a classic comedy like Kelly's Hero's to the moving Band of Brothers series.

IB was a let down on many fronts (no pun intended) for me. Sure I went into this movie with extremely high expectations, from word of mouth recommendations to reviews who claim it is Tarantino's "best yet". And sure, there is the part of me that is miffed I bought the BluRay version for $30 before I rented it, a rule of mine I'm kicking myself for breaking.

I understood this film to be how Tarantino imagined WW2, from extremely suspicious SS officers on a mission to expose all of the unbelievers, to over the top hero soldiers whose reputation was known even to the enemy. I read prior to my seeing this film that it was from the perspective of 4 groups of people. I was expecting complex intertwining plot lines through the different groups where the viewer has conflicting empathy for each group.

Chapter One started just as I hoped this movie would; the setting of occupied France, a rural French family sheltering a Jewish family, the intense, methodical and inevitable conversation with the SS officer and the farmer. Christopher Waltz did a fantastic job as the SS Officer Col. Hans Landa. The only saving grace to the entire film in my opinion.

The following chapters just fell apart into nonsense that was neither typical Tarantino intensity, nor a sarcastic black comedy with a WW2 setting like many said it was. The band of rebel ‘bastards’, the name sake of the movie, were written as an after thought. Brad Pitts acting can only be described as annoying.

Shoshanna’s plot verged on ridiculous and was a loss of a late film twist.

This film could have been so much more. My expectations and assumptions prior to seeing this were better than the actual thing. I popped Kill Bill 2 into the BluRay player last night to see if maybe I have a inflated opinion of KB, and KB blew me away just like it always has. The dialog is intense and purposeful yet always capturing that tongue in cheek, comic book feel.

I read that Tarantino wrote IB over a 10 year period. It doesn’t show in my opinion. Fortunately Kill Bill 3 is supposedly in the works.

Anyone want to buy IB in BluRay…cheap!!!?!!

TrueBrit
02-09-10, 02:49 PM
IMHO Tarantino is quite possibly one of the most over-rated directors in Hollywood history..Violent, non-sensical dreck geared towards adolescent males...

dando
02-09-10, 02:52 PM
IMHO Tarantino is quite possibly one of the most over-rated directors in Hollywood history..Violent, non-sensical dreck geared towards adolescent males...

I lost him after Pulp and Dogs. Those were great, the rest is over the top. Very much like Stone after Platoon and JFK. :(

-Kevin

stroker
02-09-10, 05:11 PM
I really liked KBv1. Not so much KBv2. IB was just plain crappy with flashes of fun.

I was thinking this weekend that QT needs to make a version of the old Terence Hill/Bud Spencer "Trinity" movies from the 70's but I suppose you could argue that he already did that with KBv1. Maybe one of those crappy Biker movies from the 60's, instead...

oddlycalm
02-09-10, 05:56 PM
Thanks for saving me two hours of my life Sean. Sorry you own a coaster. I'll probably watch it when it comes to cable if only to see Christopher Waltz' performance.

IMO Tarantino is capable of writing great dialogue but often lacks the self-discipline that a great director must have. My fave is still True Romance which QT wrote but Tony Scott directed. As with all art the difference between good and great is often knowing what to leave out.

oc

Don Quixote
02-09-10, 06:15 PM
Thanks for saving me two hours of my life Sean.
Ditto. I had some reservations when somebody in my office told me how great the movie was and their description had me doing this--> :saywhat:

Steve99
02-09-10, 06:23 PM
After seeing it, I really don't consider IB to be a WW2 movie. And it has the pacing of the first half of Death Proof.

rocket
02-09-10, 07:25 PM
No different from any other Tarantino movie being that it is either loved or hated. I like and appreciate the style.

Ankf00
02-09-10, 07:41 PM
what Rocket said. Must suck to be old :gomer: :D

the intro, strudle, and negotiation scenes were fantastic. pitt's character wasn't integral to the story but hilarious.

true, it's just another Tarantino movie. but so what?

bonjourno.

Don Quixote
02-10-10, 01:11 AM
So if I was younger and more stupid, I would like it? :p

Ankf00
02-10-10, 02:22 AM
"more" stupid? that's possible? thought you bucknuts had already gone where no man has ever gone before :p

bonjourno :D

nrc
02-10-10, 03:02 AM

So, you're saying perfect in nearly every sense? :gomer:

Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, and Pulp Fiction are better movies than a lot of directors will make in their career. Kill Bill was good but I'm not sure it needed to be two movies. I haven't seen the latest stuff.

oddlycalm
02-10-10, 04:56 AM
Um, "Jackie Brown" :thumbup:

oc

rocket
02-10-10, 09:53 AM
"more" stupid? that's possible? thought you bucknuts had already gone where no man has ever gone before :p

bonjourno :D

Oh Man :rofl:

Don Quixote
02-10-10, 10:34 AM

bonjourno :DWhat, is it more stupidest? :D

dando
02-10-10, 10:36 AM
What, is it more stupidest? :D

Dumb and dumberer. :gomer:

-Kevin