PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Bowl XLIV

nrc
02-08-10, 08:39 PM
Best: Letterman/Oprah/Leno handsdown

Worst: The Carmax commercials drove an old meme into the ground.

Funny that the Doritos contest winners were so much more creative than the big guns on Madison Ave. The House Rules bit was among the best and top to bottom the Doritos ads were probably best of the multi-ad runners.

Some of the other stuff was disturbingly similar. Too much guys in underpants (back to back), tackling old ladies (again back to back), and generally hatin' on the wimmins.

emjaya
02-08-10, 09:31 PM
I would just like to mention to the local broadcaster that while the commercials are a big part of the Superbowl, I would have perferred to see the kick off for the second half and not twenty seconds of an ad of a product that is not even sold in this country.

Napoleon
02-09-10, 07:46 AM
Letterman/Leno was the best but I did really like the Betty White/Abe Vigoda one also. You can't go wrong with Abe.

TKGAngel
02-09-10, 09:17 AM
Some of the other stuff was disturbingly similar. Too much guys in underpants (back to back), tackling old ladies (again back to back), and generally hatin' on the wimmins.

The back to back "themed" commercials is CBS's fault. Technically those advertisers could raise hell with the network for scheduling the ads that way.

I loved the Google spot. Not bad for a company who was not touted as being part of the bowl and who generally doesn't do TV ads.

The Doritos one with the dog and the bark collar and the Betty White/Abe Vigoda spots were the only ones that got laughs at my house.

Kinda disappointed in the Bud ads this year.

And the Tebow ad wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be or what it could have been. And really, Tebow's adorably dorky face does a lot to diffuse any tension that that ad might have brought.

dando
02-09-10, 11:17 AM
I did really like the Betty White/Abe Vigoda one also. You can't go wrong with Abe.

:thumbup: I wonder how many people said, 'OMG! Abe Vigoda! He's still alive?!'

:D

-Kevin

dando
02-09-10, 11:18 AM

Massively. The only spot worth a hoot was the 1st one...the Bud Light house.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
02-09-10, 11:26 AM
Massively. The only spot worth a hoot was the 1st one...the Bud Light house.

-Kevin

Yeah... I liked that one. "There's Bud Light in the fridge made of bud Light!":)

dando
02-09-10, 12:34 PM
Oh, and the Boost Mobile spot with the former Bears... :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Napoleon
02-09-10, 02:35 PM
:thumbup: I wonder how many people said, 'OMG! Abe Vigoda! He's still alive?!'

:D

-Kevin

I know I did (http://www.abevigoda.com/)

dando
02-09-10, 02:58 PM
Betty White...the new hotness. (http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/02/09/betty.white.super.bowl/index.html?hpt=C1) :D :thumbup:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
02-09-10, 03:57 PM

After the one where the long horn breaks through the fence and runs alongside the clydesdale, we were wondering how many people in the boardroom jumped up and shouted, "That's ****ing brilliant!" when that idea was originally proposed...:saywhat:

Seriously, someone got paid an assload of money for that piece of crap.:irked:

TKGAngel
02-09-10, 04:17 PM
After the one where the long horn breaks through the fence and runs alongside the clydesdale, we were wondering how many people in the boardroom jumped up and shouted, "That's ****ing brilliant!" when that idea was originally proposed...:saywhat:

Seriously, someone got paid an assload of money for that piece of crap.:irked:

The Clydesdales weren't even going to be a part of the Super Bowl. But when the commercial list started to leak, the media/ad community went flipping nuts, and the agency that did the spot re-edited it and got it approved by the client in order to make the game, according to Ad Age.

stroker
02-09-10, 05:13 PM
Anyone else notice there wasn't a single Pepsi ad? Advertising in the SB is one of their trademarks, isn't it?

Sean Malone
02-09-10, 05:15 PM
Anyone else notice there wasn't a single Pepsi ad? Advertising in the SB is one of their trademarks, isn't it?

That is rather peculiar. I don't recall any Miller spots either unless they were so bad I erased them from my memory.

SteveH
02-09-10, 05:25 PM
Pepsi is swinging a different way now
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-12-17/pepsi-not-advertising-super-bowl-2010

dando
02-09-10, 05:43 PM
That is rather peculiar. I don't recall any Miller spots either unless they were so bad I erased them from my memory.

There was one Miller spot. Unremarkable.

-Kevin

dando
02-09-10, 05:44 PM

Good point. :confused:

-Kevin

nrc
02-09-10, 06:03 PM
I enjoyed the Motorola commercial with Megan Fox in the tub as well. Purely for the comic aspect, of course. :gomer:

G.
02-09-10, 06:09 PM
There was one Miller spot. Unremarkable.

-Kevin
The High Life one, with the regular business owners?

I thought it was a decent idea. It definitely fit with their "regular guy" theme.

Steve99
02-09-10, 06:21 PM
The House Rules bit was among the best and top to bottom the Doritos ads were probably best of the multi-ad runners.
Loved the little kid laying down the law to the guy taking his mom out on a date. :)

Yeah... I liked that one. "There's Bud Light in the fridge made of bud Light!":)
My favorite line of the night.

I also liked the autotune one, but more because it pokes fun at the state of pop music these days rather than its ability to sell beer.

People seem to love the Clydesdales and the dalmations, but I never like those commercials much.

Napoleon
02-09-10, 08:12 PM
I enjoyed the Motorola commercial with Megan Fox in the tub as well. Purely for the comic aspect, of course. :gomer:

Is that who that was?

Andrew Longman
02-10-10, 12:15 PM
Pepsi is swinging a different way now
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-12-17/pepsi-not-advertising-super-bowl-2010

The project will pay at least $20 million for projects people create to "refresh" communities.

It derives from Pepsi's new CEO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra_Nooyi

She's an interesting leaders. I met her once about a year ago when I coached for her leadership team

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/best-leaders/2008/11/19/americas-best-leaders-indra-nooyi-pepsico-ceo.html

A caring CEO. Though raised on cricket, she has become an expert on New York Yankees statistics and Chicago Bulls teamwork. Nooyi is a master of substance, knowing PepsiCo's product lines and financial metrics in depth. But former CEO Reinemund, now the dean of business schools at Wake Forest University, has also noted that she is "a deeply caring person" who "can relate to people from the boardroom to the front line."

As CEO, she has continued to pursue her unusual, and tremendously ambitious, vision for reinventing PepsiCo. She is trying to take the company from snack food to health food, from caffeine colas to fruit juices, and from shareholder value to sustainable enterprise. In doing so, Nooyi is attempting to move beyond the historic trade-off between profits and people. Captured in her artful mantra—"Performance with purpose"—she wants to give Wall Street what it wants but also, the planet what it needs. "It doesn't mean subtracting from the bottom line," she explained in a 2007 speech, but rather "that we bring together what is good for business with what is good for the world."

By 2010, Nooyi has pledged, half of the firm's U.S. revenue will come from healthful products such as low-cal Gatorade and high-fiber oatmeal. The company will eschew fossil fuels in favor of wind and solar. It will campaign against obesity.

Ankf00
02-10-10, 03:04 PM
T-Pain, autotune. ftw.