PDA

View Full Version : Rolex 24

cameraman
01-30-10, 04:16 PM
The race is going to start in a few minutes in the pouring rain.

Smaller field than usual.

I had no earthly clue that the race was today. I just saw that the dvr was recording something and I was wondering what...

EDwardo
01-30-10, 04:34 PM
I didn't know it was today either. I found it while channel surfing.
Only 44 cars starting, lots of Cup drivers. The only Earl driver mentioned so far is Dashley.

EDwardo
01-30-10, 04:50 PM
So, I decided to look for live timing and scoring for the race.
I found this "official" GrandAm page:
http://laptrax.racersites-cluster.com/OrbitsServer/grandam/TimingView.html?sid=724#

But don't bother to click on the link. There doesn't seem to be any live information.
I also noticed that this site has the race time listed as January 31, 2010 at 3pm EST. Interesting, since today is January 30!

cameraman
01-30-10, 05:00 PM
The rain stopped.

Lord knows Speed is peddling hard trying to sell Grand Am, they really are.

Patrick Long is driving away.

So far the term "meh" is all that comes to mind.

OW
01-30-10, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure my car can run for 24 hours.....

NismoZ
01-30-10, 10:38 PM
Recent interesting high bank segment showing Vasser, Dalziel, Bourdais, Allmendinger, Montoya, Luhr...very racey for 18 hrs, to go! What is it they say about openwheel guys in endurance races?:rofl:

extramundane
01-30-10, 11:11 PM
What is it they say about openwheel guys in endurance races?:rofl:

They're finally getting a paycheck?

Elmo T
01-31-10, 08:30 AM
They're finally getting a paycheck?

Justin Wilson gave what is, I guess, the politically correct answered when asked about this season. :shakehead

I was also amused about them saying RHR, the IRL Poster Boy with the series sponsor backing, was only running a limited season.

pchall
01-31-10, 08:42 AM
The rain stopped.

Lord knows Speed is peddling hard trying to sell Grand Am, they really are.

Patrick Long is driving away.

So far the term "meh" is all that comes to mind.

I'm not watching but a friend called to bitch about the announcers describing the Daytona 24 as "America's sportscar jewel" or some such rot and repeatedly calling every IRL driver a "star'.

extramundane
01-31-10, 12:15 PM
Justin Wilson gave what is, I guess, the politically correct answered when asked about this season. :shakehead

I was also amused about them saying RHR, the IRL Poster Boy with the series sponsor backing, was only running a limited season.

It's quite amusing that a guy like Scott Tucker is probably spending more money on RHR's Rolex teammates (Bourdais, Luhr, Maassen, Collard, Westbrook, Bouchut) than Andretti/IZOD are for RHR's entire IRL effort. :rofl:

cameraman
01-31-10, 12:34 PM
I don't like the spec very much but due to the horrid state of racing right now there are a lot of very good drivers peddling around that circuit right now. It isn't like there is a whole lot of viable choices to watch right now.

Easy
01-31-10, 03:44 PM
It's quite amusing that a guy like Scott Tucker is probably spending more money on RHR's Rolex teammates (Bourdais, Luhr, Maassen, Collard, Westbrook, Bouchut) than Andretti/IZOD are for RHR's entire IRL effort. :rofl:

And did I hear Diffey or someone say that Tucker is doing stints in both of his cars?

Hedging his bets for that Rolex. Or does he just like collecting erstwhile factory sports car drivers?

Easy
01-31-10, 03:48 PM
Speaking of Scott Tucker, there are a lot of guys with hedge fund in their Grand Am.com bio. I hope Grand Am is making some attempt to ensure they don't bring in another Greg Loles or Henri Zogaib.

NismoZ
01-31-10, 04:22 PM
Truck wins the Rolex 24! A V-8 Cayenne motor, right? Intresting.

pchall
01-31-10, 04:35 PM
Nice to see a Ganassi car finish the race a lap down to a new team with a package running its first race.

NismoZ
01-31-10, 04:47 PM
And Ham, Bomarito, Trembley et al and MAZDA humbling the Porsches. I liked that part, a lot. Remember, "On any given weekend more Mazdas are road raced than any other make."

pchall
01-31-10, 07:31 PM
"On any given weekend more Mazdas are road raced than any other make."

Zoom, zoom, zoom.

dando
01-31-10, 10:30 PM
Pregnant guppies should not be allowed to race. :shakehead :gomer:

-Kevin

opinionated ow
01-31-10, 10:50 PM
Pregnant guppies should not be allowed to race. :shakehead :gomer:

-Kevin

How did this baby go through the hairpin?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Pregnant_Guppy_NASA.jpg/763px-Pregnant_Guppy_NASA.jpg

Napoleon
02-01-10, 12:05 PM
I had no earthly clue that the race was today.

I was totally surprised when I flipped on the TV to see a round up of the race on Speed TV.

Fio1
02-02-10, 01:13 AM
Speaking of Scott Tucker, there are a lot of guys with hedge fund in their Grand Am.com bio. I hope Grand Am is making some attempt to ensure they don't bring in another Greg Loles or Henri Zogaib.

He's legit! And, he is a very nice guy. He is taking his racing seriously, and doing it properly. And, he isn't half bad either.

TedN
02-02-10, 07:55 AM
I was totally surprised when I flipped on the TV to see a round up of the race on Speed TV.

TV listings for both Canada and U.S. (http://http://www.racefantv.com/)

Ted

Gnam
01-29-11, 03:19 PM
^ bump

Why can I never remember this race until the day of?
Next year I'm gonna send those viewing party invitations early. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-29-11, 03:41 PM
^ bump

Why can I never remember this race until the day of?
Next year I'm gonna send those viewing party invitations early. :gomer:

You can't remember because it sucks.

NismoZ
01-29-11, 03:45 PM
Check www.tvracer.com, play the clip of the Matra 650 V-12 and recall the glory days of yesteryear! (you may not even want to watch the Rolex after that:\)

Methanolandbrats
01-29-11, 06:03 PM
1:22 in and Floyd's rigs are DFL and 2nd to DFL in DP. :rofl:

Indy
01-29-11, 07:27 PM
Decided to tune in out of curiosity. Absolutely pathetic.

Methanolandbrats
01-29-11, 07:34 PM

That's what I did, turned it off. WGAF, there is no eggcitement.

cameraman
01-29-11, 07:48 PM
I was at the Senna film I'd turn on the tv but I'd have to get up to do that...

STD
01-29-11, 08:51 PM
Continuing to wonder what possible curiosity could get me to look in. :laugh:

cameraman
01-29-11, 11:17 PM
I finally took a look. The Flying Lizards are running in the race. They are way down after fixing something but they are the fastest car on the track. They made up two laps pretty quickly, just 16 more to go...

stroker
01-30-11, 01:54 PM
Only 18 prototypes started the race? I thought that class was supposed to be affordable?

cameraman
01-30-11, 03:05 PM
Four cars on the lead lap with about an hour to go. It's worth a look.

cameraman
01-30-11, 04:41 PM
Cheep gets his one two finish. I wish somebody else owned that team.

Methanolandbrats
01-30-11, 04:50 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpPLcZ9PHYs1H_uIFv0Av_mzX3Tv6Kb jo7GIpyWQQE9jZbKta9&t=1

NismoZ
01-30-11, 05:52 PM
So all The Chipster has left to win is the F-1 Constructors title!?:D

SteveH
01-30-11, 07:21 PM
So all The Chipster has left to win is the F-1 Constructors title!?:D

or this.....

http://toppayingideas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/nathan-hot-dog.jpg

nissan gtp
01-30-11, 08:23 PM
missed the whole thing this year

Gnam
01-31-11, 03:22 AM
What happened?
I meant to watch but got distracted by a cloud.

Have to admit I enjoyed listening to the Speed announcers talk about racing and interview the drivers.
Well, except Booby Rahole of course.

But when the pit reporter Jaime Howe asked Pat Long WTF the Flying Lizards were doing there I had to laugh, cause that was my question too. :laugh:

The Daytona 24 is almost as sacred as the Indy 500. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-31-11, 06:07 AM
It's the first race after a long off season. You could race lawn mowers for 24 hours and it would be at least a little impressive. Still takes a lot of luck and skill and teamwork to win.

I enjoy the coverage and the chance to really see the logistics and interviews with the teams behind the scenes. Varsha never pisses me off. There are usually a good story or two.

I just wish is wasn't run by the France mafia and the DPs weren't crap.

TedN
01-31-11, 08:12 AM
I had to chuckle early Sunday when Varsha and Justin Bell had to quickly correct themselves when they almost referred to the LMP1 and GT1 classes. Deep down, both know where the real sportcars are.

Ted

extramundane
01-31-11, 10:29 AM
I just wish is wasn't run by the France mafia and the DPs weren't crap.

Seems like you'll get the second part of your wish next year. The first part, on the other hand...

Don Quixote
01-31-11, 10:57 AM
I had it on for just a few minutes, and my wife asked me "what is a prototype"? See those scrubbing bubbles? Those are not prototypes.

Methanolandbrats
01-31-11, 11:01 AM
I had it on for just a few minutes, and my wife asked me "what is a prototype"? See those scrubbing bubbles? Those are not prototypes.

Prototype = spec tube frame with crate motor bolted in :gomer:

cameraman
01-31-11, 11:33 AM
I would have been happy not to see JC France anywhere near the podium.

TKGAngel
01-31-11, 01:23 PM
Listening to some of the driver names, it felt like a CART/Champcar family reunion.

Indy
01-31-11, 06:32 PM
Listening to some of the driver names, it felt like a CART/Champcar family reunion.

It is sort of like watching Oscar winners reduced to acting in soap operas.

opinionated ow
01-31-11, 06:52 PM
Seems like you'll get the second part of your wish next year. The first part, on the other hand...

Just make the bloody things LMP1s and get on with it.

extramundane
01-31-11, 07:16 PM
Just make the bloody things LMP1s and get on with it.

Feel free to contact a Mr. J. France of Daytona Beach, FL with that advice.

Let us know how it works out for you.

TKGAngel
01-31-11, 08:39 PM
It is sort of like watching Oscar winners reduced to acting in soap operas.

I don't know about that comparison. James Franco (admittedly not an Oscar winner) seems to have a ball hamming it up on General Hospital every now and then.

Also, the "Chip Slam" is a cheesy name for what is a pretty big achievement for Ganassi.

SteveH
01-31-11, 09:21 PM
The Chiple

JohnHKart
02-02-11, 02:39 AM

I watched some on Sat and taped the ending. I can't really stand a minute of this...or pay attention at all. It's just awful. Might as well delete the three hour ending I taped that I still haven't looked at. I don't know what's worse, an oval IRL race somewhere like Nashville or this. Concept is the same right? Junk.

JohnHKart
02-02-11, 02:41 AM
I'm not watching but a friend called to bitch about the announcers describing the Daytona 24 as "America's sportscar jewel" or some such rot and repeatedly calling every IRL driver a "star'.

That's Leigh Diffey's very annoying word he uses for everyone. F1 Star (fill in the blank with a driver that scored 6 career points) Nascar star bla bla bla...Indy Car star whoever...Please stop Leigh, you suck. Stupid.

opinionated ow
02-02-11, 03:41 AM
That's Leigh Diffey's very annoying word he uses for everyone. F1 Star (fill in the blank with a driver that scored 6 career points) Nascar star bla bla bla...Indy Car star whoever...Please stop Leigh, you suck. Stupid.

thank you for taking that moron off our hands. Australia appreciates it.

Methanolandbrats
02-02-11, 09:52 AM
Leigh Diffey went through many sets of kneepads over the course of 24 hours.

Indy
02-02-11, 03:39 PM
Concept is the same right? Junk.

It really shouldn't surprise anyone. Practically every brand name product sold in America is a greatly diminished product. Once the bean counters run the business, then it is over for the brand. Except that it continues on until the moronic sheeple finally figure out that it is crap. If they figure it out.

Good example: Jack Daniel's Whiskey. A shadow of its former self, proof reduced over the years, basically lousy tasting, manipulated, colored white lightening. Sells well for twice the price of other decent whiskeys. But they sponsored NASCAR, right? Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!

Of course, what NASCAR and the IRL didn't count on was the difference between the typical American idiot and the open wheel/sports car fan. Some people are smart enough to know **** from shinola.

JohnHKart
02-03-11, 04:09 AM
Leigh Diffey went through many sets of kneepads over the course of 24 hours.

That's cause he's a - ya ready for it..... "STAR!!!"

Gnam
01-25-13, 08:24 PM
^ bump

START - 51st Rolex 24 At Daytona
Saturday, Jan 26 at 3:30 PM (EST)

The end of an era. :laugh:

G.
01-26-13, 08:49 PM
They're letting Brian Johnson drive??

Does Grand aMeriCan drug test?:laugh:

(I guess he drove last year as well. Singer for AC/DC.)

The Doctor
01-26-13, 09:15 PM
They're letting Brian Johnson drive??

Does Grand aMeriCan drug test?:laugh:

(I guess he drove last year as well. Singer for AC/DC.)

And one-time fastest "star in the reasonably priced car" on Top Gear... he can drive and is a big car guy.

Easy
01-26-13, 10:16 PM
The new gen DPs are not nearly as terrible looking as their predecessors. At a glance some even pass for a nice looking closed top prototype.

That said, they need another 150hp, but so does LMP1. The DP could actually make for a good 2nd tier, strictly privateer prototype class to the current LMP1s.

Of course, I am not paying any attention to the Daytona race and couldn't care less about anything involved with it. What motorsports enthusiast would be interested in an event that has drivers from Indycar, DTM, WEC, ALMS, WTCC, GP2, F3, Brazilian Stock Cars, NASCAR, etc..?

G.
01-26-13, 10:35 PM
And one-time fastest "star in the reasonably priced car" on Top Gear... he can drive and is a big car guy.

So, he's a Gentleman Racer then? :gomer:

Yeah, I'm familiar with his rockin' gearheadedness, but I don't believe he's ever done anything in the Pros.

rosawendel
01-27-13, 12:44 AM
Dear SPEED:

Alanis Morissette has precious little to do with racing. Please stop playing her music when you go to / come from commercial.

Thank you.

dando
01-27-13, 04:39 PM
Nice run by Michael Shank Racing. #60 was 6 laps down overnight, and they managed to get the lead and finished 3rd. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Gnam
01-28-13, 02:14 AM
All these years later and I still hate seeing Chip Ganassi win. :D

Barbosa should not have been penalized for Allmendinger's stupid outside move. :shakehead

Speed can't spring for the overnight coverage of a NASCAR financed race in their backyard. ridiculous.

Indy
01-28-13, 02:54 AM
My take: endurance racing is fundamentally boring unless the cars are really cool, and these cars are not remotely cool.

That and heavy handed officiating are more than enough to kill my interest.

Andrew Longman
01-28-13, 05:10 AM
When the guy who paved the highway to hell with alcohol poisoning is warning about Alzheimer's should I take him seriously or just feel really old and defeated?

Elmo T
01-28-13, 09:07 AM
I did hear the term "Sunoco Race Fuel" being used. :rolleyes:

I liked my racing better when it was snooty and/or a niche market. Even NASCAR was better before they started playing to the masses. :shakehead

JohnHKart
02-06-13, 01:30 AM
2 years after I last watched and posted in this thread I sat down and watched the last few hours of coverage during the past week and I really enjoyed it immensely. I think it was great! Seemed like some good dicing through out the field and indeed the new DP looks ok. Thumbs up this time around, and never heard Diffey use the dreaded star word.