PDA

View Full Version : Whopper Bar

dando
01-25-10, 01:15 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/01/22/2010-01-22_introducing_the_whopper_bar_burger_king_to_sell _beer_at_fast_food_joints.html

Burger King is going to be selling brewskis - and that's no whopper.

Hoping to tap a whole new customer base, the fast food chain has unveiled plans to peddle beer alongside their famous burgers at something they are calling a Whopper Bar.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/01/22/2010-01-22_introducing_the_whopper_bar_burger_king_to_sell _beer_at_fast_food_joints.html#ixzz0de4XWjN1

:saywhat:

-Kevin

Gangrel
01-25-10, 01:26 PM
I'll go along with it if they just promise to make the creepy King commercials go away.

dando
01-25-10, 01:33 PM
I'll go along with it if they just promise to make the creepy King commercials go away.

It's good to be the King.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/09/ceo_socnet/image/burger-king.jpg

:gomer:

-Kevin

extramundane
01-25-10, 01:42 PM
Makes sense- I'd pretty much have to be drunk to eat at Burger King.

trish
01-25-10, 07:40 PM
I hope they don't offer this at the drive-thru.

Gnam
01-25-10, 07:46 PM
The Vikes never should have cut him. ;)
Love those ads.

CaXlpB9UvCY&feature=related

JLMannin
01-25-10, 08:40 PM
Makes sense - that's where we went when we were drunk in college. And with the hectic lifestyle today's college students live, enabling them to multitask at a Whopper bar is the way to go! :gomer:

nrc
01-25-10, 11:10 PM
I'm assuming that this will be in markets where they don't have White Castle.

JLMannin
01-26-10, 08:16 PM
Or Waffle House.

Napoleon
01-28-10, 09:34 AM
I tell all my biggest woppers in bars.

Andrew Longman
01-28-10, 11:57 AM
Makes sense - that's where we went when we were drunk in college. And with the hectic lifestyle today's college students live, enabling them to multitask at a Whopper bar is the way to go! :gomer:

When I was in college it was common for people to hit the BK at bar closing. One day they left the delivery of buns for the next day outside; huge plastic bags of buns. Dozens of them.

Someone, I'm not saying who, took them in the back of pickup truck back to the dorms and emptied the bags through window into a 12 x 12 dorm room, filling it almost to the ceiling. The occupants couldn't open the door.

Need more condiments. ;)

dando
01-28-10, 12:38 PM
When I was in college it was common for people to hit the BK at bar closing. One day they left the delivery of buns for the next day outside; huge plastic bags of buns. Dozens of them.

Someone, I'm not saying who, took them in the back of pickup truck back to the dorms and emptied the bags through window into a 12 x 12 dorm room, filling it almost to the ceiling. The occupants couldn't open the door.

Need more condiments. ;)

And you allow Trevor to surf this board? :saywhat: :gomer: :D

-Kevin

oddlycalm
01-28-10, 04:26 PM
Actually, this is brilliant. Serving beer will be like shooting fish in a barrel at BK given the amount of salt in the food. A double cheeseburger has 1450mg and a steakhouse burger 1980mg. That's going to make anyone want a beer or three.

oc

dando
01-28-10, 04:33 PM
Actually, this is brilliant. Serving beer will be like shooting fish in a barrel at BK given the amount of salt in the food. A double cheeseburger has 1450mg and a steakhouse burger 1980mg. That's going to make anyone want a beer or three.

oc

I caught a piece in the Today Show last week that had a dish from PF Changs @ just under 8K of sodium. :eek: :yuck: And to top it off it didn't even look appetizing. :saywhat:

-Kevin

nrc
01-28-10, 05:08 PM

oc

As I heard on a cooking show the other day, "Salt is the engine of flavor."

oddlycalm
01-28-10, 05:10 PM
I caught a piece in the Today Show last week that had a dish from PF Changs @ just under 8K of sodium. :eek: :yuck: And to top it off it didn't even look appetizing. :saywhat:

Not surprised, restaurant food has an insane amount of salt.
Chili's Buffalo Chicken Fajitas 6916
Chili's Honey-Chipotle Ribs 6400mg
Olive Garden lasagna 6176mg
Olive Garden Chicken Parm 5735mg
Pizza Hut meat lovers pan pizza 1190mg per slice

These chain restaurant numbers aren't out of left field. Most restaurants won't be much different, but their numbers aren't published.

It does sell the beer and wine though...:gomer:

oc

Sean Malone
01-28-10, 05:29 PM
I love salt. I salt my salt. I eat the salt off of pretzels and toss the carcass. I salt my bacon. I put salt in my coffee instead of sugar.

This is somewhat of an exaggeration but not really.

SteveH
01-28-10, 06:52 PM
I love salt. I salt my salt. I eat the salt off of pretzels and toss the carcass. I salt my bacon. I put salt in my coffee instead of sugar.

This is somewhat of an exaggeration but not really.

same here, same with my Dad, and his Dad

and no history of hypertension

RusH
01-28-10, 06:59 PM
I`ve had beer at BK a long time ago.

The Governors Island restaurant in NYC sold them....:)

gone I see.

http://curbed.com/archives/2004/07/01/the_lost_burger_king_of_governors_island.php

oddlycalm
01-28-10, 08:52 PM
As I heard on a cooking show the other day, "Salt is the engine of flavor."

Yup, that's the mantra, but since salt is also the engine of premature heart failure the Dirty Harry line "Do you feel lucky...?" is also fitting.

My revision of that quote for home cooks would read spices and fresh herbs are the engine of flavor, then apply the 80/20 rule on salt; the first 20% of the salt gives you 80% of the flavor boost.

It seems like the massive amount of salt used in fast food and chain restaurant food is just a cheap way to brighten up cheap ingredients.

oc

Sean Malone
01-28-10, 09:36 PM
Yup, that's the mantra, but since salt is also the engine of premature heart failure the Dirty Harry line "Do you feel lucky...?" is also fitting.

My revision of that quote for home cooks would read spices and fresh herbs are the engine of flavor, then apply the 80/20 rule on salt; the first 20% of the salt gives you 80% of the flavor boost.

It seems like the massive amount of salt used in fast food and chain restaurant food is just a cheap way to brighten up cheap ingredients.

oc

This I do know...when replicating an Alton Brown recipe...and I mean ANY Alton Brown recipe...cut the salt by 90%. It will still be salty, but at least edible. :)

oddlycalm
01-29-10, 05:08 AM
This I do know...when replicating an Alton Brown recipe...and I mean ANY Alton Brown recipe...cut the salt by 90%. It will still be salty, but at least edible. :)
I'm sayin', and Alton is a piker compared to some. I watched Anne Burrell make Pasta Bolognese and she used a half pound of salt if she used a grain. Every step she threw in another big handful. :eek: I checked online and the recipe refuses to reveal how much. :gomer:

I use plenty of salt but the too-much-is-never-enough approach just isn't to my taste. I want flavor, not salt burn sores. :\ The only reason to have 2 grams of salt in a chain restaurant burger is because it would taste like the dogs breakfast without it.

oc

Napoleon
01-29-10, 09:06 AM
FYI for those of you that may not know but there is honest to God salt that has 33% less sodium then regular salt. I started using it as well as doing some other things when I became borderline high blood pressure (which happened when they revised the standards down) which seemed to help.

chop456
01-29-10, 09:19 AM
110/68 here and I had two Whoppers for breakfast yesterday morning.

I wish I was kidding. :saywhat:

dando
01-29-10, 10:31 AM
Anne Burrell

:saywhat: She just creeps me out. :eek:

-Kevin

chop456
01-29-10, 01:19 PM
I like her. She knows how to cook, unlike some people with low-cut tops and giant Martian heads.

dando
01-29-10, 01:28 PM
unlike some people with low-cut tops and giant Martian heads.

What heads? :D She just comes across to me as a female Guy Fieri. :gomer:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
01-29-10, 01:59 PM
What heads? :D She just comes across to me as a female Guy Fieri. :gomer:

-Kevin

But her food looks edible more often than Guy Fieri's does. And unlike the boobed Martian head, she doesn't talk in a cutsey-wootsey voice like I'm an overgrown five year old who can't be trusted in the kitchen.

Sean Malone
01-29-10, 02:31 PM
Are you guys talking about Giada or Sandra Lee? :) I like watching Sandra to appease my masochist tendencies.

I also like Ina. It's what I imagine cooking on Prozac is like. :)

Napoleon
01-29-10, 03:57 PM
Are you guys talking about Giada . . .

Better not be talking about Giada. I love that woman!

Elmo T
01-29-10, 04:57 PM
I like watching Sandra to appease my masochist tendencies.

Skip the first minute...

awCHJSfZWd8

dando
01-29-10, 05:33 PM
Are you guys talking about Giada or Sandra Lee? :)

Giada is the big head. Sandra is the big air head. :) A couple of years ago we had friends over for Thxgiving, and we got to talking about FoodTV folks. Someone mentioned Giada's over-sized noggin, and my reply was 'she has a head?'. :D

-Kevin

oddlycalm
01-31-10, 07:04 PM
Someone mentioned Giada's over-sized noggin, and my reply was 'she has a head?'. :D
Looks like they may have photoshopped a head reduction...:gomer:

over-sized head #1 (http://img43.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55342_Giada_De_Laurentiis_-_SHAPE_Russia_313_122_404lo.jpg#)

over-sized head #2 (http://img179.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55349_Giada_De_Laurentiis_-_SHAPE_Russia_424_122_182lo.jpg#)

oc

dando
01-31-10, 10:22 PM
Looks like they may have photoshopped a head reduction...:gomer:

over-sized head #1 (http://img43.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55342_Giada_De_Laurentiis_-_SHAPE_Russia_313_122_404lo.jpg#)

over-sized head #2 (http://img179.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55349_Giada_De_Laurentiis_-_SHAPE_Russia_424_122_182lo.jpg#)

oc

#2 needs more camel toe. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

Don Quixote
06-25-10, 09:33 AM
More proof that Giada's head is supersized.

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2010/06/23/0137558_Bob-and-Giada-laughing_s4x3_al.jpg

Michaelhatesfans
06-25-10, 11:22 AM
I think she said something about strawberries, but I just found myself craving melons for some reason.:\

Skip the first minute...

awCHJSfZWd8

dando
06-25-10, 11:25 AM
More proof that Giada's head is supersized.

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2010/06/23/0137558_Bob-and-Giada-laughing_s4x3_al.jpg

Again, I repeat...she has a head? :gomer:

-Kevin