PDA

View Full Version : Haas & EMT

NismoZ
01-23-10, 01:52 PM
King Carl will now be the distributor/supplier of cars AND parts for Van Diemen & Panoz for Elan. "A positive and significant development."-Scott Atherton. Gee, as a Jr. high kid I saw young Carl race the 1st Lola Mk I in the US at Meadowdale FIFTY years ago!:eek: (so pristine new it wasn't even painted yet...all silver)

pchall
01-24-10, 07:59 AM
Haas needs some continuing revenue stream and Panoz probably has the broadest race car product range around these days.

NismoZ
01-24-10, 12:46 PM
Isn't Elan/Panoz building the cars for that new ALMS class? Not sure I understand what that whole concept is. Field fillers? C'type Lites? If Elan/Van Diemen/Panoz wants to build a new car why don't they do a new Atlantic (type) machine and run a full companion schedule? Kick-ass open wheel road racers as fast or faster than the vintage C'wagons. (may I suggest a Mazda turbo-4?)

pchall
01-24-10, 04:18 PM
The "new" LMP Challenge class is some sort of sportsman field filler class for LMS pretending to be the starter car for teams wanting to move up to LMP. The 900kg chassis is made by Oreca (who seem to control the Courage facility these days). It is powered by a 450 HP GM crate engine and will run on a spec tire. P1 heft and sub P2 ponies.

As far as I know the plan is or was for Panoz to import the components and build up cars as they are ordered. Maybe Haas gets to distribute spares for however many (if any) run in ALMS this year. But the North American market for these cars would be GT3 teams who aspire to run with the big boys in LMP someday. It will be interesting to see if there were any checks written after the test day early last Fall where fourteen drivers lapped in the car.

SteveH
01-24-10, 04:55 PM
http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2010/01/22/151-meetings-in-braselburg-phoenix-ptg-and-the-abruzzi-slash-and-burn/

You need a measure of how well things are going? You saw the press release on a Haas “distributor deal.” First question – sent along by one of the elves – “what do you need a distributor for in your home market?” According to some, the real story is Champ Car – the failed racing series just keeps right on giving, doesn’t it? Murphy’s been told Haas loaned Panoz three million to build the Champ Car DP01, and was still owed a million. Cash-strapped PMS Group offered its parts business and a little cash instead, and Carl took it. According to just about everyone in the race car biz, that is pretty much the end for Panoz as a race car constructor.

NismoZ
01-24-10, 06:40 PM
Whoa!:eek: So, we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for a DP02, or is that what that SuperLeague thing is? Hell, let's use those! The DP01 CC was quit a bit faster than the SL V-12 02, correct? Still suggesting a small turbo 4. Haas and Penske partner up with Panoz and Mazda, ask Swift to ante in then sell the package/idea to Mom and the sisters, but stipulate :tony: has to resign first...hey! Wait a minute:) We'll save a few spots for The League guys, too.:D

pchall
01-24-10, 06:41 PM
http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2010/01/22/151-meetings-in-braselburg-phoenix-ptg-and-the-abruzzi-slash-and-burn/

Anything "the Bear who pooped in the woods and decided that made him the Pope of sportscars" says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He has long hated CART and despised the failing Champcar because they were overshadowing his preferred series.

NismoZ
01-25-10, 02:02 PM
So how does anti CART/ChampCar bias fit into this rumor? Doesn't seem to be a very far-fetched rumor at that. Too bad if even partially true, but I can sure understand Haas making sure to get his. Guess he figures he can make back more than the supposed million owed? That's a lot of parts deliveries.