PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Looking to Spice Thngs Up.

Andrew Longman
01-22-10, 10:11 AM
http://www.news-press.com/article/20100122/SPORTS/1220367/1002/rss01

More rubbin'. Bump drafting now OK. More HP at Daytona and Degga. Whoopie!!!

Good thing attendance is down because I'm pretty sure a car will wind up in the stands sometime soon.

Wing is gone after March. A little surprised to see that. I know it blocked a following driver's view of the track ahead, but I didn't hear other complaints. If anything the front of the car had aero issues.

a8hvDhnNcCc&feature

Elmo T
01-22-10, 10:33 AM
More rubbin'. Bump drafting now OK. More HP at Daytona and Degga. Whoopie!!!

:rolleyes:

I saw that this AM. I don't see how this is "letting them race" as the drivers have asked.

I am sure it will be good for ratings. The possibility of more "the big ones" will give them a boost.

Indy
01-22-10, 12:32 PM
Evil. They are just evil.

STD
01-22-10, 01:00 PM
:laugh:

NismoZ
01-22-10, 02:22 PM
It was a simple decision, really. What's more important...driver and spectator safety or the God-given Constitutional right of "true" race fans to scream, pump their fists in the air and holler at cars rolling, flipping and cart-wheeling across the finish line (sometimes in FLAMES!:thumbup:)? I think we have our answer. NASCAR has simply become too safe.

dando
01-22-10, 02:27 PM
One word: Boogity.

Is that even a word? :saywhat: :gomer:

-Kevin

Elmo T
01-22-10, 02:59 PM
One word: Boogity.

-Kevin

Depends - not sure when it is used only once.

Twice - I think that announces the arrival of a streaker.

Three times - the start of the countdown to the big one.

oddlycalm
01-22-10, 06:55 PM
I those Daytona insects thought they could get away with it, and make $12 more, they would send the drivers out with loaded guns. :\

oc

Gnam
01-22-10, 07:05 PM
^ I was thinking they could charge the spectators $20 for 3 shots with a paintball gun or water cannon. :gomer:

TKGAngel
01-22-10, 07:07 PM
It was a simple decision, really. What's more important...driver and spectator safety or the God-given Constitutional right of "true" race fans to scream, pump their fists in the air and holler at cars rolling, flipping and cart-wheeling across the finish line (sometimes in FLAMES!:thumbup:)? I think we have our answer. NASCAR has simply become too safe.

Add in the sight of the pregnant wifey* waddling towards the infield care center to greet her hubby and it becomes a bad Hollywood script.

*The baby memo has apparently been passed around NASCAR, as four drivers wives are infanticipating.

On a related note, looks like Kyle Petty (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/news/story?id=4811973) hasn't drunk his required dose of Danica kool-aid.

G.
01-22-10, 07:29 PM
I those Daytona insects thought they could get away with it, and make $12 more, they would send the drivers out with loaded guns. :\

oc
I'd watch that!

:gomer:

grungex
01-22-10, 07:41 PM
NASCAR chairman Brian France said safety enhancements over the past few years allowed for the changes.

"It's time for us to allow the drivers to drive," he said. "We don't want the rules and regulations to get in the way of great racing. NASCAR is a contact sport."

So there. MorAns.

Opposite Lock
01-22-10, 08:35 PM
Depends - not sure when it is used only once.

Twice - I think that announces the arrival of a streaker.

Three times - the start of the countdown to the big one.

:laugh: Hadn't thought of that song in a couple three decades.

Andrew Longman
01-23-10, 01:05 AM
NASCAR chairman Brian France said safety enhancements over the past few years allowed for the changes.

The CoT does have some important safety features, but they still haven't figured out how to keep a 3400# car on the ground, the catch fence from coming apart, or how to actually race cars of this type on a superspeedway.

They are cynical.

And they are playing with fire because the day a car does wind up in peoples' laps it will be game over for them. Think congressional hearings, unavailable insurance, fans staying away, and a serious dumbing down over reaction that will make it even less watchable.

SteveH
01-23-10, 01:55 AM
And they are playing with fire because the day a car does wind up in peoples' laps it will be game over for them. Think congressional hearings, unavailable insurance, fans staying away, and a serious dumbing down over reaction that will make it even less watchable.

Not only for them but most likely all of racing will take a mammoth hit, especially with insurance premiums. It would be the modern day equivalent of the 1955 Le Mans disaster.

Indy
01-23-10, 03:23 AM
Eh, who cares. It is over anyway.

:cynical: