PDA

View Full Version : Tony resigns from IMS board and Vision in trouble

Hard Driver
01-19-10, 11:49 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tony-george-resigns-from-ims/

This is not the old news about his ouster from the CEO position. He has now also resigned from the board.

George has resigned his seats on the IMS board of directors and Hulman & Company.

This comes eight months after George was ousted by his family as president and CEO of IMS and then declined to step in as president of the IRL, the series he started in 1996.

It also looks like his vision may be biting him in the ass even more as his team may be shut down too..

But, without longtime sponsor John Menard on board for 2010, George is scrambling to keep Carpenter on the track. Recently, in a team meeting, he reportedly told his crew that he hadn’t given up and was searching for sponsorship but it was possible the season might only include Indy and a couple of ovals.

George also told his crew that if they were approached with a good, full-time offer, they might want to take it.

I have to say, after destroying CART, I think he is still just starting to sleep in the bed that he made.

grungex
01-20-10, 04:55 AM
Too bad everyone else has to sleep in it, too... :flame:

rosawendel
01-20-10, 08:55 AM
did he sell the house yet?

mueber
01-20-10, 10:40 AM
Here comes the speculation about the new series he is going to start.

SurfaceUnits
01-20-10, 11:40 AM
Toney GOerge isn't going to do anything with his own money and Chris Paff is the only one who believes in TOneys' visions but paffie doesn't have any money. And TOneys' longtime sugardaddy, John Menard, has given up funding the sagamoron

Here comes the speculation about the new series he is going to start.

SteveH
01-20-10, 12:01 PM
sort of OT - interesting that the two biggest IRL hate sites are both down today. :D

pchall
01-20-10, 12:14 PM
sort of OT - interesting that the two biggest IRL hate sites are both down today. :D

Do we actually need IRL hate sites when FTG has just taken a large calibre slug between the eyes from mom and his sisters?

dando
01-20-10, 12:18 PM
So who exactly won? :shakehead :saywhat: :mad: ==> :tony:

*sigh*

-Kevin

pchall
01-20-10, 12:35 PM
Toney GOerge isn't going to do anything with his own money and Chris Paff is the only one who believes in TOneys' visions but paffie doesn't have any money.

But Paffy graduated from a major academic institution, albeit in New Jersey -- the largest chemical waste dump in the continental US. He must have the money, he must have the brains. What else is NJ good for besides Korvette's at the cheesier malls?

SurfaceUnits
01-20-10, 12:36 PM
Do we actually need IRL hate sites when FTG has just taken a large calibre slug between the eyes from mom and his sisters?

yes we do. even tho the creator of the monster is out of the picture, the monster is still around.

oddlycalm
01-20-10, 05:46 PM
The real shame in all this is that this guy who destroyed one of the better racing series to ever exist gets to walk away with no real consequences leaving the steaming turd that is the EARL to continue to stink ad nauseam.

While I take note of TG's public humiliations it's small comfort. It's not going to bring CART circa 1995 back.

oc

Andrew Longman
01-20-10, 08:22 PM

*sigh*

-Kevin

Not us (fans)

Andrew Longman
01-20-10, 08:26 PM
But Paffy graduated from a major academic institution, albeit in New Jersey -- the largest chemical waste dump in the continental US. He must have the money, he must have the brains. What else is NJ good for besides Korvette's at the cheesier malls?

So you're just baiting me right?

Paff's degree, which is news to me, can't possibly get ick on me or other residents. Just leave it there.

datachicane
01-20-10, 08:46 PM
The real shame in all this is that this guy who destroyed one of the better racing series to ever exist gets to walk away with no real consequences leaving the steaming turd that is the EARL to continue to stink ad nauseam.

While I take note of TG's public humiliations it's small comfort. It's not going to bring CART circa 1995 back.

oc

+1

eiregosod
01-21-10, 08:46 AM

oc

Tony was a grate CEO when he could add events and they'd sell out instantly. Now, all those empty seats (their very existence was denied by the lemmings) at the 497.5 & 400 has come to leave a hole in the family's autoracing finances that they aint willing to plug with other Hulman monies.

Why FTg chose to throw a childish hissy fit because the family didnt think he could get them out of their current mess will baffle us (not that much).

I wonder how he kept explaining to the board why he was rejecting a $10m sponsorship offer from IZOD for title sponsorship :rofl:
Blekhus signed that deal pretty quickly after becoming CEO.

robot9000
01-21-10, 01:26 PM
So it really was all about personal power. The power for TG to control CART, the power for TG to control the family. He was offered the IRL, but no. That would not do....

We are told over and over that the CART board treated him poorly and that started The War. Apparently it is much more simple than that. TG, the spoiled rich kid who inherited IMS, seems to have this complex where if he doesn't run the whole show, he pouts.

Methinks that if CART had given him some respect and a voice, that still would not have been enough.

jcollins28
01-21-10, 03:30 PM
Who would have thought that Tony George and the IMS board paid to keep the lights on at Smack....:gomer::rofl:

dando
01-21-10, 03:50 PM
http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/theremoteisland/2009/02/church_lady.jpg

Well isn't that special?

:D

-Kevin

JLMannin
01-21-10, 04:52 PM

*sigh*

-Kevin

Double-o Joe Gosek, Dr. Jack Miller, Racin Gardner, Buzz Calkins, Brad Murphy, and all the other has-beens and never-would-have-beens that got to race at Indianapolis until Penske, Ganassi, et al returned to Indy.

Indy
01-21-10, 11:01 PM
Who would have thought that Tony George and the IMS board paid to keep the lights on at Smack....:gomer::rofl:

I knew we shouldn't have trusted that lunatic in charge of the place. Traitor. :laugh:

mueber
01-22-10, 09:56 AM
NASCAR won.

All we can do is hope that it isn't too late for someone with a passion for racing, a bit of business sense, and at least an arm's length relationship with Gomerville picks up the pieces.

Meanwhile, expect Darrell Waltrip to be at the 2012 Indianapolis five hundret as an announcer.

oddlycalm
01-22-10, 06:23 PM
Meanwhile, expect Darrell Waltrip to be at the 2012 Indianapolis five hundret as an announcer.
Yeah, no sign the meek will inherit the earth anytime soon but the slack jawed peckerwoods seem to have manged to get their hands on most US racing. :irked: :thumdown:

oc

Shadow
01-23-10, 10:00 AM

Gee, there is an old saying attached to this one.

Why does NJ have more toxic waste dumps than NY?

Why does NY have more lawyers than NJ?

Answer. NJ had first choice.

Shadow
01-23-10, 10:02 AM

*sigh*

-Kevin

To me that is easy. The side with the lowest NEGATIVE balance from running its operation since 1996. CART/Champ car certainly won that one.

devilmaster
01-27-10, 10:49 AM
well, 1993 all over again, and once more Tony has been shunned by a board....

wonder what he'll withhold now? can he keep any youngins from seeing grandma?

Chief
01-27-10, 02:14 PM
Don't you worry! Tony George, Jr. is ascending to leadership roles within the organization with this "Ladder to Indy" program.

Too bad the top rung of the ladder just got jettisoned by VERsUS. Full speed ahead!

http://www.wired.com/images/article/full/2008/04/rms_titanic_400px.jpg

eiregosod
01-28-10, 05:26 AM
^ what's going on at the moment is a re-arrangement of the deck chairs on the aforementioned ship

eiregosod
01-28-10, 05:35 AM
well, 1993 all over again, and once more Tony has been shunned by a board....

wonder what he'll withhold now? can he keep any youngins from seeing grandma?

yeah 1993, with the same players from CART still sitting pretty , Penske, Haas, Ganassi, Coyne, Andretti, Foyt, HVM (Bettenhausen), Rahal, Foyt (when he can get his ipod charged).

edit. Tony Jr is our only hope.

Napoleon
01-28-10, 10:00 AM
So it really was all about personal power. The power for TG to control CART, the power for TG to control the family. He was offered the IRL, but no. That would not do....

We are told over and over that the CART board treated him poorly and that started The War. Apparently it is much more simple than that. TG, the spoiled rich kid who inherited IMS, seems to have this complex where if he doesn't run the whole show, he pouts.

Methinks that if CART had given him some respect and a voice, that still would not have been enough.

"No question now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
- George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 10

Napoleon
01-28-10, 01:45 PM
Hey, I just had an idea. I wonder if the CIA could put TG in disguise and somehow get him into North Korea and in charge of their nuclear program. It would be like a Jerry Lewis film come to life.

dando
01-28-10, 02:04 PM
Hey, I just had an idea. I wonder if the CIA could put TG in disguise and somehow get him into North Korea and in charge of their nuclear program. It would be like a Jerry Lewis film come to life.

Didn't they already do this?

http://atlmalcontent.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/kim.jpg

:gomer: :D

-Kevin

indyfan31
02-02-10, 07:29 PM
New IRL CEO Randy Bernard (http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=ap-irl-ceo&prov=ap&type=lgns)

...the new CEO of the Indy Racing League, admits he knows next to nothing about auto racing.

He'll fit right in.

extramundane
02-02-10, 07:40 PM
^^^ I know someone who can loan him some DVDs to get hisself all catched up. :gomer:

Sean Malone
02-02-10, 11:29 PM
Cut him some slack...he's going to spend "hours" in the Indy Hall of Fame.:gomer:

My god...open wheel in America has sunk below professional bull riding. If I didn't get so much pleasure out of know the 50 gomers left at Track Forum are dieing in the inside...I'd be kinda sad. kinda.

oddlycalm
02-03-10, 05:12 AM
If I didn't get so much pleasure out of know the 50 gomers left at Track Forum are dieing in the inside...
Yeah, it's all been laugh out loud and swallow your tongue funny. They're not dying quietly, the meltdown is epic. :laugh:

oc

Napoleon
02-03-10, 11:52 AM
They're not dying quietly, the meltdown is epic. :laugh:

Good!

Honestly, if way back in 1994 or whenever the split occurred someone had appeared from the year 2010 and told you IMS would win after years and years of conflict, TG was gone, the series that remained ran a street race in Brazil and was run by someone from professional bull riding you would not have believed it.

SteveH
02-03-10, 12:04 PM
This should give even the most ardent supporter pause.

Indy without Lilly, the 500? (http://www.ibj.com/newstalk/2010/02/02/indy-without-lilly-the-500/PARAMS/post/16161)

Several years ago, the notion of even a diminished Speedway or Lilly would have been absurd. Now it isn’t, says Dan Knudsen, an Indiana University geographer who has studied economic development and keeps an eye on Indianapolis.

Knudsen says Indianapolis should brace for the Speedway going out of business within a few years. Open-wheel racing has been losing popularity, and young people in particular don’t seem to care about it. Imagine the track as a type of empty Roman Coliseum, he says.

Sean Malone
02-03-10, 12:35 PM
I thought the Brickyard 400 had eclipsed the 500 in terms of tickets, tv ratings and commerce revenue a few years ago or am I confusing the 600 mile NASCAR race?

Don Quixote
02-03-10, 01:09 PM
Well, you should all realize that the decline started when the sisters fired him. :tony:

Shout out to Chief for his comments at the end of the article! :thumbup:

Shadow
02-03-10, 01:40 PM
Good!

Honestly, if way back in 1994 or whenever the split occurred someone had appeared from the year 2010 and told you IMS would win after years and years of conflict, TG was gone, the series that remained ran a street race in Brazil and was run by someone from professional bull riding you would not have believed it.

No question. Anyone who made such a statement would have been hauled away in a white jacket.

oddlycalm
02-03-10, 06:22 PM
Absolutely, would not have surprised me at all. I was hoping for something weirder that involved more high profile public humiliation for others as well as TG, but sometimes we don't get all we wish for. :) The Brainfart/Sammich compromising pictures on the internet would have been a nice touch, but we can still hope on that one....

oc

Duroc
02-04-10, 12:21 AM
Ever wonder how a man looks staring into the abyss?

Well..... now you know (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk1CwirDaOw).

:saywhat:

SteveH
02-04-10, 12:57 AM
Absolutely, would not have surprised me at all. I was hoping for something weirder that involved more high profile public humiliation for others as well as TG, but sometimes we don't get all we wish for. :) The Brainfart/Sammich compromising pictures on the internet would have been a nice touch, but we can still hope on that one....

oc

Even such pictures didn't undo Max.

There's still time for this to turn out much worse. Anthing is possible with that family.

chop456
02-04-10, 02:16 AM
There's still time for this to turn out much worse. Anthing is possible with that family.
And when you think there's a limit to the depths of stupidity they've already plumbed, they somehow manage to top it.

As the great Ren Hoek once said; "Sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me". :tony:

One day we'll wake up to learn the speedway has been sold for a team of oxen and a barrel of molasses.