http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yw1Tgj9-VU

In the End - Does it matter?

opinionated ow
01-20-10, 05:13 AM
8ouI5KcyHfE

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings from 2007.

SteveH
01-20-10, 10:39 AM
This group was on Letterman this week and absolutely torched it.

sVzvRsl4rEM

opinionated ow
01-20-10, 11:18 AM
This group was on Letterman this week and absolutely torched it.

sVzvRsl4rEM

Great song with the Dap-Kings horns (from my post above)

oddlycalm
01-20-10, 06:22 PM
In the End - Does it matter?

In my mind that tune will always be associated with this WRC video.

BuTWC_hiryc

High Sided
01-20-10, 06:46 PM
post brought this classic video to mind...

N1tTN-b5KHg

Cam
01-20-10, 07:19 PM
In my mind that tune will always be associated with this WRC video.

BuTWC_hiryc

That has to be Pau's best work ever! :thumbup: Did he ever do any more after that one? I collected a few of the highlight vids he did, but he seemed to disappear after that one.

OW
01-20-10, 08:07 PM
Beaut! - iful
Oddly

High Sided
01-20-10, 08:25 PM
talk about torching it!
WMKmQmkJ9gg

OW
01-20-10, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4PKBNzmuo

HAD TO!!!

oddlycalm
01-20-10, 10:25 PM
talk about torching it!
Torching it indeed. Interesting what happens when three LA pro session players that just happen to be absolute knockouts get together...:cool:

oc

Al Czervik
01-20-10, 11:42 PM
Old School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMm4bhs6GYY

nrc
01-20-10, 11:50 PM
Still my favorite video...
IRHA9W-zExQ

Gnam
01-21-10, 02:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4PKBNzmuo

HAD TO!!!

Is that Quest Love's kid? :D:thumbup:

edit: the casablanca of music videos ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbqIyeed4g&feature=related

oddlycalm
01-21-10, 04:24 AM
That has to be Pau's best work ever! :thumbup: Did he ever do any more after that one? I collected a few of the highlight vids he did, but he seemed to disappear after that one.

No idea Cam, don't know a thing about him, but I agree that he got that one right.

oc

Cam
01-21-10, 09:47 AM
No idea Cam, don't know a thing about him, but I agree that he got that one right.

oc

One of the rally boards used to have a competition after season end where the members would post a year in review vid like that. There were always some great ones but Pau always seemed to be the cream of the crop duriing the early 00's. A deep google of pau wrc high might find the original post.

swift
01-24-10, 06:09 PM
Raven-haired open-wheel racer from Ohio chases down the leaders at a historic American track. Spoiler alert: she doesn't win.
QJAiaxjXzsk

JLMannin
01-25-10, 06:43 AM
Do they still make music videos? If so, where do people see them? They never show them on MTV anymore, just young buff people hooking up after acting like dorks.

Not sure what is on VH1 anymore.

opinionated ow
01-25-10, 08:10 AM
Do they still make music videos? If so, where do people see them? They never show them on MTV anymore, just young buff people hooking up after acting like dorks.

Not sure what is on VH1 anymore.

Youtube usually...

Elmo T
03-10-10, 01:09 PM
Perhaps the greatest love song ever... ;)

A few years late or this absolutely would have been my wedding song.

Long intro, jump to about 1:25 for the song.

F5axlwCBXC8

Indy
03-11-10, 12:05 AM
Elmo :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
03-23-10, 05:59 PM
Video response to greatest love song ever :laugh:

gY_zAR71AqA

SurfaceUnits
03-23-10, 06:08 PM
anybody remember this guy

_QsMrpbN2eo

opinionated ow
03-23-10, 06:53 PM
kkhFQow6Q_k

nrc
03-24-10, 03:33 AM
v6PoDVE0hr4

Andrew Longman
03-24-10, 09:01 AM
Old School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMm4bhs6GYY

Beat me to it. My first thought too

Andrew Longman
03-24-10, 09:29 AM
Elmo, how did I know you're a Prine fan? :thumbup:

Enjoy, the intro is well worth it. My personal anthem of acceptance for about 30 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFD2wZaBciY

Unless it is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_YrJABjYBE

Someday I'd like to split a pack of Camels with John at my kitchen table. Happy Enchilada to all. :D

Elmo T
03-24-10, 11:05 AM
Kasey Chambers :thumbup: - She should be way more popular, but perhaps a little too twangy for today's country music. I thought it might be the Aussie thing, but that has not stopped Keith Urban.

Elizabeth Cook has the same country/southern twang. :thumbup:

mdifDtBuPbw

tGkArY4AcUI

emjaya
03-24-10, 07:19 PM
Kasey Chambers :thumbup: -

No.

Elmo T
03-24-10, 07:34 PM
No.

Hater. ;)

XYMYaXIyJn8

emjaya
03-24-10, 07:52 PM
Caterwauling is the word I think that best describes her "singing."

In fact it probably describes the efforts of most Australian female country singers: the half yodeling wail with the worst of an American southern accent thrown in to boot. It's like a cat in heat being run over by a road roller. :yuck:

I just don't get modern country music. :confused:

Elmo T
03-24-10, 08:46 PM

I like it because I think it doesn't sound like modern country music. This reminds of country music like Dad was playing on the radio or had on the TV (Hee Haw) - just to tie in the video threads!

opinionated ow
03-25-10, 06:27 AM
No.

Damn straight. To be able to be a recording artist you should have to demonstrate and be licensed as capable of intonation, tonality, diction and annunciation.

Elmo T
03-25-10, 08:10 AM
Damn straight. To be able to be a recording artist you should have to demonstrate and be licensed as capable of intonation, tonality, diction and annunciation.

Wow - that rules out probably 95% of all current recording artists. :laugh:

You are going to put the Auto-tune people out of business!

extramundane
03-25-10, 09:02 AM

Most modern "country" music is just run-of-the-mill pop with the occasional steel guitar or fiddle lick thrown in to remind people that it's "country." Add a cowboy hat and a copy of Telecasters and watch the profits roll in!

I'll never forget being at a party a few years ago when some dude who nobody seemed to know kept asking if anyone had any country music to put on. Several of us produced the standards- Cash, Haggard, Buck Owens- and more modern/alt-country stuff- Whiskeytown, Lucinda Williams, the first Son Volt record, etc. The dude recoiled and spat out "I don't mean that yippy-kay-ay ****, I mean REAL country! You ain't got any Shania Twain or Joe Diffie?" I don't think he appreciated the laughter that followed.

Indy
03-25-10, 09:37 AM
I grew up on Rock, but also on Merle, Waylon and Willie. I still listen to that great old stuff sometimes, but it seems to me that Country, like every other genre (and every other thing in this country -- think AOW :yuck:) just sold out and is controlled by sociopathic corporate execs.

In the last few years I have been to a few bluegrass shows. They were spectacular and piqued my interest. I suspect there is as much of an underground country scene (real musicians, real songwriters, real talent) as there is an underground rock scene. Can anyone list a few of the best "alt country" bands out there?

Elmo T
03-25-10, 10:03 AM
For country music - my Sirius radio bounces between Roadhouse, Outlaw Country, and Willie's Place.

Wide Open Country on TV for music videos isn't bad - and one of the "music only" channels on the tube also has a Wide Open Country channel.

Alt-Country has a wide ranging definition - sometimes easier to say what isn't Alt-Country - which is anything you might hear on commercial country radio!

A few of the top of the head: Son Volt, Whiskytown, Jayhawks, Wilco, Old 97's :thumbup:, Uncle Tupelo, Bottle Rockets, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Old Crow Medicine Show, Reckless Kelly

opinionated ow
03-25-10, 10:09 AM
but it seems to me that Country, like every other genre (and every other thing in this country -- think AOW :yuck:) just sold out and is controlled by sociopathic corporate execs.

Just think outside of mainstream. Funk & Soul is still alive through independent labels like Daptone Records. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings even have a new album out in a few weeks.

extramundane
03-25-10, 11:58 AM
A few of the top of the head: Son Volt, Whiskytown, Jayhawks, Wilco, Old 97's :thumbup:, Uncle Tupelo, Bottle Rockets, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Old Crow Medicine Show, Reckless Kelly

Good list- gotta be careful with Wilco though- they've only got about an album and half worth of alt-country.

I'd add Drive-By Truckers as well. And these guys are old friends of mine, so I'll throw a plug their way too:

dJNntZUhnpQ

Andrew Longman
03-25-10, 01:00 PM
Wow - that rules out probably 95% of all current recording artists. :laugh:

You are going to put the Auto-tune people out of business!

I remember being at my Aunt Charlotte's for Sunday supper, probably Easter, when I was 8 or 9 and turning on the Ed Sullivan show to watch Jefferson Airplane. Just as Ed introduced them, the older folks said, "Quick , Turn it down. They are going to be really loud!" Then, "You can't even understand the words".

I remember telling them to shut up because I couldn't hear the music.

Elmo T
03-25-10, 03:38 PM
I remember telling them to shut up because I couldn't hear the music.

Hippie! ;)

Some more John Prine and Iris Dement:

SsyHo8iUsjE

Elmo T
03-27-10, 07:24 PM
pjkLf_X88WM

nrc
03-28-10, 01:59 AM
Caterwauling is the word I think that best describes her "singing."

In fact it probably describes the efforts of most Australian female country singers: the half yodeling wail with the worst of an American southern accent thrown in to boot. It's like a cat in heat being run over by a road roller. :yuck:

Caterwaul! Now you're talkin'! :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QSWLOS

I've come to terms with the fact that I have an affection for certain nasal vocal styles, especially in harmonies. I love Rattlin' Bones from Chambers and Nicholson and I really enjoy another short lived duet called Parlor James (http://www.amazon.com/Dreadful-Sorry-Parlor-James/dp/B000003MWW).

But let's be clear: I hate country music. I insist that what I like shall be called "Americana". ;)

Some of Chambers' early stuff is a little too twangy country for my tastes. Her last couple of releases and Rattlin' Bones are excellent examples of the combination of country blues, folk, and rock that I really enjoy. Not to mention that the songs are very well written and performed by the artists themselves.

nrc
03-28-10, 02:17 AM

What a load of nonsense. We're talking about music, not BBC news readers.

Yes, you need to have some ability to hit the notes that you're aiming for as a minimum price of entry and outstanding vocal talent is a huge asset. But a technically capable singer doesn't amount to a hill of beans if they can't deliver a performance with heart and soul. To my ear Chambers does that very well.

While I can certainly see where a lot of folks may not enjoy Chambers' vocal quality or style, I don't think you can seriously argue that she's not a very capable singer.

datachicane
03-28-10, 02:21 AM

Well, not to defend the current crop of caterwaulin', but there goes Neil Young and Bob Dylan for starters.

Michaelhatesfans
03-28-10, 03:23 AM

Tom Petty described modern country as "bad pop music with a fiddle."

Michaelhatesfans
03-28-10, 03:44 AM
I suspect there is as much of an underground country scene (real musicians, real songwriters, real talent) as there is an underground rock scene. Can anyone list a few of the best "alt country" bands out there?

Check out Todd Snider. His last album was described as alt country, but I've seen him listed in about three other categories, as well. I have the distinct impression that he doesn't give a **** which category he's in.:laugh:

As far as song writers go, I don't think he has many peers. And he's got quite a unique stage presence that I love, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V523DNw3jh0

Ankf00
03-28-10, 04:59 PM
Old 97's :thumbup:

Dallas, holla!

Reckless Kelly & Cross Canadian is more Texas Country imo than alt

TKGAngel
03-28-10, 06:51 PM
How about some Newfie Celtic rock from Great Big Sea?

p0SpwEdU5ak

Elmo T
03-28-10, 07:06 PM
How about some Newfie Celtic rock from Great Big Sea?

:thumbup:

Drove to VA last year to see them at Wolf Trap. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time. :thumbup::thumbup:

Carbon Leaf opened for them - also great.

Elmo T
03-29-10, 09:20 AM
Dallas, holla!

Reckless Kelly & Cross Canadian is more Texas Country imo than alt

Wiki says Reckless Kelly is a "Red Dirt" band - not alt-country. Who knew? :rolleyes:

Another road trip this weekend. All of this Americana music talk had me digging deep in the iPod for some forgotten favorites.

On the playlist this weekend: Kim Richey, Kelly Willis, and Elizabeth Cook. Maybe there is a common thread here? ;)

Elmo T
04-01-10, 08:43 AM
A video tie in to the Michigan Militia? Why yes, how could we forget this Canadian classic..

RKy5tk7QOl0

Ankf00
04-08-10, 07:32 PM
billy joe shaver about to go to jail

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/witnesses-say-shaver-wasnt-provoked-before-shooting-man-535990.html?srcTrk=RTR_240839

although have to say, any place that's byob liquor is a place where you expect this to happen

opinionated ow
04-08-10, 08:20 PM
How about the 3 day old Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings song: I Learned The Hard Way.

d_CzeNW_Fs4

High Sided
04-08-10, 08:35 PM
rcXtT3rZcqg

oddlycalm
04-09-10, 05:51 PM
Here's some oldie Celtic rap from the Bothy Band circa 1977. They don't move around a lot.... I always just figured they were blind drunk.

Uy26KCV6mp8

cameraman
04-09-10, 06:42 PM
And if you don't already own it all or your LPs are just plain worn out the complete discography of the Bothy Band is available on iTunes:)

Or for $2 more per album you can buy the CDs and get it uncompressed...

oddlycalm
04-09-10, 10:57 PM
And if you don't already own it all or your LPs are just plain worn out the complete discography of the Bothy Band is available on iTunes:)

Or for $2 more per album you can buy the CDs and get it uncompressed...
True, compression doesn't help, particularly with acoustic music. I don't have to have 10,000 tunes in my pocket, I'd rather have 100 good ones.

I'm too lazy to bother with vinyl most of the time but when I do I'm well rewarded. The three Bothy Band recordings tend towards brittleness and sibilance (on flute & whistle) and really do benefit from the warm and burnished sound of vinyl played through a tube amp. It doesn't have to be expensive, a friend got an early Scott stereo set at a yard sale for $30, dropped in a new phono cartridge, and it makes acoustic music and old blues sides come alive. :cool:

oc

nrc
04-10-10, 02:59 AM
True, compression doesn't help, particularly with acoustic music. I don't have to have 10,000 tunes in my pocket, I'd rather have 100 good ones.

FLAC is your friend.

oddlycalm
04-11-10, 04:59 AM
FLAC is your friend.

Thanks boss, I'll give it a shot.

oc

Ankf00
04-19-10, 08:51 PM
qdRaf3-OEh4

Elmo T
04-20-10, 11:14 AM
We saw Carbon Leaf on Sunday night. Great show once again.

Pf29IIQuqYk