PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Andretti and Pat Patrick Stepping Down From BoD?

Jag_Warrior
06-04-03, 04:52 AM
:confused:

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/047892-1086-094.html

The real reason, not the B.S. - like when my CEO was fired the other day ("effective immediately... left to pursue other interests"... like finding a bank that has enough money on hand to cash his golden parachute check). If Warren Buffet is able to serve on a variety of boards, something tells me that Mario and Pat ain't all that busy.

Anybody got the skinny?

RaceChic
06-04-03, 07:53 AM
I was under the impression that Mario was only on the CART B.O.D. for a year. As for Patrick, he is getting up there in years. I can't think of anything else. Anyone? :confused:

Napoleon
06-04-03, 08:10 AM
I will cut and paste this from anouther thread.

This maybe a bit of a non story. I seemed to recall when Mario signed on it was explicitly for a one year term only. IMO, it was as much a PR thing as anything else. As to Patrick, there has been a move, backed up with SEC and NYSE rules to limit the number of insiders who sit on public company boards. Perhaps Patrick is viewed that way (although he does not fit the classic definition of insider since he is not employed by, or an officer of, CART).

RaceChic
06-04-03, 08:16 AM
Well there ya go, Nappy. :D

JLMannin
06-04-03, 01:00 PM
Maybe they both have indyitis.

GOFAST1
06-04-03, 04:14 PM
I don't want to upset anybody here, and I'm a huge Mario Andretti fan, and I admire his accomplishments, but his support would be much better served if he would start his own CART team. I mean, his name can attract a good sponsor. All this other cosmetic stuff...I'm not impressed.

Jag_Warrior
06-08-03, 01:36 PM
Now I see a rumor that Pook asked him not to stand for re-election. It's from a less than reliable site, so I don't know. But in listening to Mario on Wind Tunnel, clearly he'd only form a team if someone knocked on his door and handed him a check. That's unfortunate, but he's done enough that I don't feel that he's obligated. It would be nice to see his team going toe-to-toe with Emmo's though.

The one guy who I would put into the Put-up Or Shut-up camp is Jon Vannini. Good move with being behind Pook, but his association with Grosfeld nearly cancels that out for me. Plus he waffled on the Cosworth turbo/IRL engine thing (and thought that going with IRL tubs was a good idea) - it took Forsythe to force that through. IMO, Vannini should bring some sponsors to the grid or form a team... and stop with his California Ecclestone Wannabe routine. Now he seems prepared to stand in the way of CART going private. Form a team, bring some sponsors... or go away!

Cmndr Keen
06-09-03, 10:12 AM
IIRC, Pat Patrick was talked into sticking around this year and was really looking to retire. No offense to Andretti, but if he's gonna be on the Board, then be on the Board clear and without conflict. CART has had enough of that. Personally, I think Mario is still a racer first and a businessman second so I'm not all together convinced that being on the Board is a "good fit" for him. Good for CART in a PR sense, but maybe too confining for Mario.