PDA

View Full Version : My CCWS Trifecta Weekend

Elmo T
01-04-10, 11:20 AM
I assume this meets the new criteria, with a slight nod to CART.

Three unrelated occurrences over the New Year's holiday had me reminiscing about the CCWS:

1. Cleaning out the closet, I found some CCWS baseball hats that were long forgotten. I have a fleece that I wear quite a bit - didn't know there were any hats left.

2. The iPod tossed out "Happy Hour" from my Exhaust Notes CD. I don't recall that it has ever voluntarily played anything from that CD.

3. My 6yo asked to watch Driven. Again. Twice in the same day.

I'll grant you, Driven is not exactly a classic - but it captured a time in the CCWS (CART to be a stickler I guess). Maybe not THE BEST time, but even that is open to opinion. Some bad acting and some cartoon stunts. But it was a time when I was passionate about the sport.

It might sound trite - but for all our talk of moving on, of being just the casual observer to racing, of finding new passions - I want that passion back.

It may sound, as my 9yo would say "dorky", but I still have hope. I will be patiently waiting and reminiscing.

RaceGrrl
01-04-10, 03:22 PM
No, I get it... we recently gathered up some things to give to Kidney Foundation. I came across an old Rahal duffle bag. It's one of the nicer ones with the car embroidered on it. As much as I now despise Rahal and as sad as it is that CART went away, I just couldn't get rid of the bag this time. Maybe next time.

Sean Malone
01-04-10, 05:28 PM
No, I get it... we recently gathered up some things to give to Kidney Foundation. I came across an old Rahal duffle bag. It's one of the nicer ones with the car embroidered on it. As much as I now despise Rahal and as sad as it is that CART went away, I just couldn't get rid of the bag this time. Maybe next time.

I recently went through some of my old CART collectible boxes and found some good stuff i had forgotten, like a Nigel N/H hat and a few things that made me say "what was I thinking?" like the faux brass CART emblem hat with the faux suede brim and a Penske lanyard. I found a CART embroidered shoulder backpack that I have no recollection of buying. Some good Zanardi stuff that gave me warm and fuzzies though.

dando
01-04-10, 08:49 PM
I'm reminded every day by the ChampCar sticker on the rear window of the Beemer. :thumbup: And having watched Cars a dozen times or so over the past couple of months, it's sad yet satisfying to hear PLN talk about racing in the movie. :( The only item I still display prominently is my Greg Moore diecast. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Elmo T
01-04-10, 10:35 PM
I'm reminded every day by the ChampCar sticker on the rear window of the Beemer. :thumbup:
-Kevin

I have a few ChampCar stickers in my desk. Emmo wants to know why we don't have one on the firetruck like we do on the Subie and the van. After this weekend, I just may do that.

The home office has plenty of ChampCar/CART swag: A couple N-H signed prints (Mansell/Andretti & Andretti/Fittipaldi), a Swintal signed print, diecasts, etc. I have a Greg Moore helmet pin on my Disney pin lanyard. :gomer:;)

I can still hate, but at least this week I can hope for better.

grungex
01-05-10, 01:44 AM
I recently purchased a 12-foot long Champ Car sticker, if it ever warms up again I'll try to install it on the inside of my garage door...

Michaelhatesfans
01-05-10, 02:45 AM
...stuff i had forgotten, like a Nigel N/H hat and a few things that made me say "what was I thinking?"

Yeah, I know if I go deep enough I'll start coming across the neon race hats...:o

opinionated ow
01-05-10, 10:48 AM
I wore my PKV Racing shirt to church the other day. The minister asked who and where the team existed. So I got to wax lyrical about my beloved Katherine :rofl:

SteveH
01-05-10, 11:09 AM
Wearing a CART fleece today. I love the old CART logo with the checkered flag.

NismoZ
01-07-10, 12:22 PM
I wear the black Champcar hoodie & hat (that a N/H crew member gave me years ago) to my workout place a few times a week and never get tired of answering questions about what it once was. (With a few references to the Irrelevant Racing League as well) Theraputic, in a way.:(

NismoZ
01-07-10, 12:41 PM
Anyone interested in my home-recorded VHS race tapes, '84-'07? Singletons or in groups. Ask and ye shall receive.

datachicane
01-07-10, 01:20 PM
Anyone interested in my home-recorded VHS race tapes, '84-'07? Singletons or in groups. Ask and ye shall receive.

You've digitized them, I assume?

NismoZ
01-07-10, 04:03 PM
Yeah?...digitize THIS, Dataguy!;)...didn't I send you something WAAAAY back in the 7th Gear days? Can't remember what it was...a copy of that night/rain/Michael/Mario podium race at Surfers, '94? ...still waiting for your check!...Nope, no money, just old tapes to a new home. Let me check my inventory.

datachicane
01-07-10, 06:11 PM
Is that you, Larry? Jeebus, that was a long time ago, like '97 or '98, when I was looking for Surfers' '94.

Got a few enormous boxes myself, mostly digitized now, but I'd be interested in seeing your list (especially any full seasons). I'm sure I could arrange some appropriately geekly barter fodder.

NismoZ
01-08-10, 11:19 PM
OMG, used my real name, eh? Did I give you my SS # too? Yep, have number of complete seasons, I'm certain. I'll do inventory when I can take a break from snow blowing/shoveling and treating frostbite!:shakehead. Then I can make a few re-requests and you can crank off a few discs and send 'em back to ME!:D

datachicane
01-09-10, 01:38 AM
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize that was you here all these years. Always wondered what happened to you...

Sounds more than fair. I'd be happy to get you a nice, compact digital version of anything you'd like.

NismoZ
01-09-10, 12:33 PM
Triple:thumbup: (I guess I thought it necessary to conceal my true identity and re-enter the forum world as a kinder/gentler NismoZ.:D I suppose now I should find out if "Speed3" is available?:))...PS- did you check out my/our mugs on the "Kenny Brack Is Gold" topic in the "Others" forum? We do NOT proceed well in the snow!