PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ignition??

G.
01-02-10, 03:07 PM
Stupid question: Has anyone ever had their ignition lock frozen? Not the door, but the actual ignition?

Wife drove the car last (so I can blame her, thank God :D) and last night I was unable to turn the key to start it. Key goes in just fine, seems to be wiggling around ok (there seems to be some play in it), but I just can't turn the key.

The steering lock was NOT engaged. Usually if this ^^^^ happens, you just turn the wheel a bit to release tension on the steering lock, then the key turns, but last night the wheel wasn't even in the locked mode. I kept trying to turn the key, while moving the steering wheel this way and that, but no luck. I even managed to turn the wheels straight enough that the steering wheel lock is now engaged.

Any idea of what safety mechanism might be malfunctioning, so that I know which area to apply the BFH (big um, hammer)?

The car appears to be in park (but I can't move the shift lever much, and yes, it's an automatic). The only safety override that I have is the brake/shift override (you can't shift from park unless the brake is on, There's a slot to force that if it malfunctions. But of course that means nothing since you can't shift unless the key is ON.).

Any ideas? I don't want to just squirt some de-icer into it. I really don't think that it's ice. Could be, though.

dando
01-02-10, 03:21 PM
Any chance you have one of those keys with a chip in it that allows the car to be started?

-Kevin

trish
01-02-10, 03:25 PM
Make, model, year?

trish
01-02-10, 03:34 PM
Stupid question: Has anyone ever had their ignition lock frozen? Not the door, but the actual ignition?

Wife drove the car last (so I can blame her, thank God :D) and last night I was unable to turn the key to start it. Key goes in just fine, seems to be wiggling around ok (there seems to be some play in it), but I just can't turn the key.

The steering lock was NOT engaged. Usually if this ^^^^ happens, you just turn the wheel a bit to release tension on the steering lock, then the key turns, but last night the wheel wasn't even in the locked mode. I kept trying to turn the key, while moving the steering wheel this way and that, but no luck. I even managed to turn the wheels straight enough that the steering wheel lock is now engaged.

Any idea of what safety mechanism might be malfunctioning, so that I know which area to apply the BFH (big um, hammer)?

The car appears to be in park (but I can't move the shift lever much, and yes, it's an automatic). The only safety override that I have is the brake/shift override (you can't shift from park unless the brake is on, There's a slot to force that if it malfunctions. But of course that means nothing since you can't shift unless the key is ON.).

Any ideas? I don't want to just squirt some de-icer into it. I really don't think that it's ice. Could be, though.

Did you try a spare key? Maybe the key you used is no good.

Indy
01-02-10, 03:53 PM
First, try putting your foot firmly on the brake when you turn the key.

If that doesn't work, try the spare key.

G.
01-02-10, 04:18 PM
Three keys, brakes applied, no chip.

Hyundai Veracruz, 2007.

TravelGal
01-02-10, 05:28 PM
Three keys, brakes applied, no chip.

Hyundai Veracruz, 2007.

:laugh: Sorry to laugh at your misfortune. One slug of sake (or ginseng wine if you want to be authentic) followed by two slugs of tequila followed by three slugs of the BFH ought to do it.

Ahem, but to answer your question, yes, it has happened to me. First back in the dark ages at Purdue the dang starter did literally freeze. Warmer weather fixed it, like when it got up to zero. Second time it was a disconnect between the key lock and steering wheel safety lock. Warming the wallet of the repairman fixed it that time.

SteveH
01-02-10, 06:17 PM
Once you get yoru car started, turn the heater on high and let it run for a long time. :gomer:

G.
01-02-10, 07:28 PM
A couple of drops of de-icer (flammable crap with colloidal graphite suspended) on the key did it.

I've never even heard of the ignition freezing, only doors. I really didn't want to just spray crap into it causing more issues (but possibly heating up the interior real well :D ).

Thanks, all.

:thumbup:

TravelGal
01-02-10, 08:01 PM
A couple of drops of de-icer (flammable crap with colloidal graphite suspended) on the key did it.

I've never even heard of the ignition freezing, only doors. I really didn't want to just spray crap into it causing more issues (but possibly heating up the interior real well :D ).

Thanks, all.

Glad to be of help. Which tequila are you quaffing in celebration?

dando
01-02-10, 08:30 PM

Thanks, all.

Srsly? I suggest to stop humping the steering column in that case. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

G.
01-02-10, 09:04 PM
Glad to be of help. Which tequila are you quaffing in celebration?
Just went straight to meth, actually.

;)

Srsly? I suggest to stop humping the steering column in that case.

-Kevin

Long commute. Waddaya gonna do? :gomer:

Srsly, never would've suspected that it needed de-ice/lube. In fact, topic-title-be-damned, it was my last thought.

Also, remember - I get to blame the wife.

grungex
01-02-10, 10:25 PM
It's possible that there was some moisture on the key from a previous use, which then froze in the cylinder. Just a WAG -- it's been so freaking cold here the past few days nothing would surprise me.