PDA

View Full Version : Booze for the boss

RaceGrrl
12-22-09, 01:00 AM
For Christmas I'd like to give my new boss some kind of booze. He likes beer, but I hate the stuff, never drink it and have no idea what to give him. Suggestions please? :)

Gnam
12-22-09, 02:00 AM
He likes beer, but I hate the stuff, never drink it...

uh...

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6914/number5.jpg http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7379/exclamationpointforkidd.jpg

;)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3816/267292610203dba5ae05.jpg

dando
12-22-09, 01:09 PM
For Christmas I'd like to give my new boss some kind of booze. He likes beer, but I hate the stuff, never drink it and have no idea what to give him. Suggestions please? :)

That really depends on what he likes. Beer is pretty subjective like tastes in wine. I prefer darker, heavier beers, while others like lighter and fruitier beers. Perhaps a sampler pack from a place like Whole Foods, which carries a selection of beers not usually available around these parts. I also saw a few interesting samplers @ Giant Eagle the other day, one of which included some Flying Dog, which is pretty tasty, IMO.

-Kevin

Easy
12-22-09, 01:49 PM
uh...

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6914/number5.jpg http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7379/exclamationpointforkidd.jpg

;)

:rofl:

Moose Drool is the goods but Dando is right, totally subjective. Go with something sort of middle of the road. There are some good craft and micro lagers and pilsners that all beer drinkers can agree on.

Don Quixote
12-22-09, 02:07 PM
I would get him a growler (1/2 gallon bottle) from one of the local microbreweries. Try Barleys Brewing Company on N. High.

dando
12-22-09, 02:21 PM
I would get him a growler (1/2 gallon bottle) from one of the local microbreweries. Try Barleys Brewing Company on N. High.

Good idea as well. Too bad Hoster's isn't around anymore. :( Barley's Smokehouse is on Dublin Rd just west of downtown in addition to Barley's on N. High. Good excuse to get some good grub and a gift o' beer as well.

DQ, thinking of which, that might be a good place to meet next time you're in town....altho the local talent might not be as nice. ;)

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
12-22-09, 02:31 PM
There's a Barley's Smokehouse right down the street, so he's familiar with their beer. I like the idea of a sampler pack. Someone else in the office got him Dirty Bastard. Not sure if he liked it though.

dando
12-22-09, 02:53 PM
There's a Barley's Smokehouse right down the street, so he's familiar with their beer. I like the idea of a sampler pack. Someone else in the office got him Dirty Bastard. Not sure if he liked it though.

Brooklyn Brewing Co. has several nice brews and is pretty much only available @ Whole Foods. They usually have sampler packs available this time of year. Arrogant Bastard is also quite and available @ Whole Foods. Whole Foods and Fresh Market (not sure if they are on your end of town) have a better selection than the run of the mill grocery chains....but I was surprised by the sampler selection I saw @ Giant Eagle the other day.

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
12-22-09, 02:56 PM
It might be funny to get him Arrogant Bastard and stay on the "bastard" theme. I work in Grandview... I think there might be a Whole Foods close by. I'm also close to World Market and the Grandview Giant Eagle.

dando
12-22-09, 03:03 PM
It might be funny to get him Arrogant Bastard and stay on the "bastard" theme. I work in Grandview... I think there might be a Whole Foods close by. I'm also close to World Market and the Grandview Giant Eagle.

Whole Foods (aka: Whole Paycheck) acquired World Market earlier this year. Arrogant Bastard is one of if not Steve's fave.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-22-09, 03:03 PM
Might I suggest a 24 pack of this fine brew, complete with 100% organic gift basket:

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/images/lone-star-beer-21136642.jpg

:D I second the Brooklyn Lager suggestion. Their Pennant Ale is easy drinking too

dando
12-22-09, 03:13 PM
:D I second the Brooklyn Lager suggestion. Their Pennant Ale is easy drinking too

Chocolate Stout, yo. It's more than a beer, it's a meal. ;)

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-22-09, 03:27 PM
Beer of the Month Club? (http://www.beermonthclub.com/)

miatanut
12-22-09, 03:53 PM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3816/267292610203dba5ae05.jpg

They had that at the Portland race one year. Decent beer, but why were they serving Montana beer in Portland? :saywhat:

devilmaster
12-23-09, 02:00 AM
http://www.arrogantbastard.com/animated/animation2.gif

Don Quixote
12-23-09, 11:38 AM
:rofl:

extramundane
12-23-09, 12:18 PM
Chocolate Stout, yo. It's more than a beer, it's a meal. ;)

It might be funny to get him Arrogant Bastard and stay on the "bastard" theme.

Lord help the American Lager drinker who dives into either one of those unprepared. :D

Sean Malone
12-23-09, 01:46 PM
Lord help the American Lager drinker who dives into either one of those unprepared. :D

No doubt! I'm toast after 3 Smithwicks.

dando
12-23-09, 01:49 PM
No doubt! I'm toast after 3 Smithwicks.

And you're supposedly Irish? :saywhat: :gomer: Smithwicks is just what wimps drink instead of Guiness, and don't have the good sense to drink Harp. :p

-Kevin

Sean Malone
12-23-09, 01:55 PM
And you're supposedly Irish? :saywhat: :gomer: Smithwicks is just what wimps drink instead of Guiness, and don't have the good sense to drink Harp. :p

-Kevin

I can choke down about half a Guinness, so Smithwicks it is. An Irish bartender once told me it's very regional in Ireland, out in the villages, so it's not always Guinness or nothin. H also said that actually, the preferred beer in Dublin pubs is Hienikien.

Don Quixote
12-23-09, 02:09 PM
H also said that actually, the preferred beer in Dublin pubs is Hienikien.
Please tell me you made this up. I will renounce my 3/4 Irish heritage if they sit around in pubs drinking skunkwater. :shakehead :yuck: :D

Don Quixote
12-23-09, 02:17 PM
It's 11:15 on Christmas eve eve and that bottle of 18 yo MaCallan sitting over there on my bookshelf just called out my name. Did you hear that? There it goes again.

Al Czervik
12-23-09, 02:22 PM
It's 11:15 on Christmas eve eve and that bottle of 18 yo MaCallan sitting over there on my bookshelf just called out my name. Did you hear that? There it goes again.

Resistance is Futile!

RaceGrrl
12-23-09, 02:52 PM
Went to World Market yesterday- their beer guy was crabby and not interested in helping me choose something. Copped out and ended up buying a Beers of the World sampler and some of the Arrogant Bastard Ale. Apparently he really likes Arrogant Bastard, so that was a win. Thanks for your advice. :)

devilmaster
12-23-09, 03:12 PM
Please tell me you made this up. I will renounce my 3/4 Irish heritage if they sit around in pubs drinking skunkwater. :shakehead :yuck: :D

The Scot bartender at the pub went home to find everyone there drinking Bud... :shakehead

extramundane
12-23-09, 03:46 PM

A beer-phile friend of mine spent the holidays in Dublin a couple years ago. He was dismayed to see so many locals drinking Budweiser (American Budwesier, not Budweiser Budvar). Myself, I was quite surprised to find Coors Light being sold in a pub in North Yorkshire this past spring. :saywhat:

Don Quixote
12-23-09, 03:54 PM
A beer-phile friend of mine spent the holidays in Dublin a couple years ago. He was dismayed to see so many locals drinking Budweiser (American Budwesier, not Budweiser Budvar). Myself, I was quite surprised to find Coors Light being sold in a pub in North Yorkshire this past spring. :saywhat: [montypython] Drinking coors light is like making love in a canoe. [/endmontypython] More evidence that the end is near.

Napoleon
12-23-09, 04:12 PM
I am appalled at all the talk about drinking going on around here. I never would have expected it, particularly in light of what I observed of your average Champcar fan at venues like the Mid-Ohio campground, Siebkens, the snake pit at Indy, etc.

dando
12-23-09, 04:19 PM

Dude, the Maker's Mark already called my name. Can't be rude, yo. :D :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-23-09, 04:20 PM
A beer-phile friend of mine spent the holidays in Dublin a couple years ago. He was dismayed to see so many locals drinking Budweiser (American Budwesier, not Budweiser Budvar). Myself, I was quite surprised to find Coors Light being sold in a pub in North Yorkshire this past spring. :saywhat:

Oh sure..and next you'll tell us there is no Santa Clause and :tony: isn't in charge of Indy any more. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
12-23-09, 04:46 PM
Oh sure..and next you'll tell us there is no Santa Clause and :tony: isn't in charge of Indy any more. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

And Rosebud is a sled.

dando
12-23-09, 04:58 PM
And Rosebud is a sled.

No, a Rosebud is a Basselope.

http://home.att.net/~basset_5/bloom_co.gif

Unless yer saying that Basselopes don't exist.....

*runs screaming I CAN'T HEAR YOU*

:gomer: :D

Did I mention that Maker's Mark is good. :)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-23-09, 05:09 PM
I am appalled at all the talk about drinking going on around here. I am shocked that there is gambling going on in this establishment. Shocked I tell you.

extramundane
12-23-09, 06:08 PM
Did I mention that Maker's Mark is good. :)

I've heard that before, but I think I'm going to have to conduct my own tests. Starting right about....now. :D

Sean Malone
12-23-09, 07:01 PM
The in laws arrived an hour ago. Drink of the holiday is.... Black Russians! 2 down already. Wife is wimping out and doing White Russians. The OJ we're saving for Mimosa's on Christmas morning. 3 (or 4) day stupor has begun!

miatanut
12-23-09, 07:06 PM
I can choke down about half a Guinness...

Maybe it's an acquired taste. I used to think it was like some really strong coffee that somebody poured beer in, but my wife thought it was the best beer there was, so I got to know it a bit better and now it's normally my first choice when it's available on tap.

TKGAngel
12-23-09, 07:56 PM
No, a Rosebud is a Basselope.

WTF is a Basselope?

My drink of choice for this holiday is a nice Canadian Riesling given to me by a co-worker (who also is a nice Canadian).

But when it comes to beer, I'm a Blue Light girl. My name is TKGAngel, and I drink wimpy beer. :)

dando
12-23-09, 08:41 PM
WTF is a Basselope?

*sigh* Damn kids.... :gomer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_characters_in_Bloom_County#Rosebud_the_Basse lope

Bloom County. Greatest. Comic. Strip. Evar. :thumbup: Steve Dallas said so. :gomer:

-Kevin

Indy
12-23-09, 11:43 PM
I can choke down about half a Guinness, so Smithwicks it is. An Irish bartender once told me it's very regional in Ireland, out in the villages, so it's not always Guinness or nothin. H also said that actually, the preferred beer in Dublin pubs is Hienikien.

The funny thing is that Guinness is the Heineken of stouts, so our drinking it is equivalent to their drinking skunkywater.

But bad stout is much better than mediocre lager, so there you go.

extramundane
12-24-09, 12:24 AM
But bad stout is much better than mediocre lager, so there you go.

I brewed an Oatmeal stout a few years ago that would have changed your tune, I suspect. Unless you like the taste of band-aids, accourse. :yuck:

Indy
12-24-09, 04:51 AM
I brewed an Oatmeal stout a few years ago that would have changed your tune, I suspect. Unless you like the taste of band-aids, accourse. :yuck:

I said bad, not hideously iodiney. :D

chop456
12-24-09, 05:27 AM
I tried Goose Island Bourbon County Stout for the first time last weekend. It's the Ghost Chile of beers. Wow. :eek:

The best part is that it was brought to my house by a guest so I didn't need to take out a loan for the 4-pack.

KLang
12-24-09, 10:44 AM
Samuel Adams has an Imperial Stout out now that I like a lot. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
12-24-09, 05:46 PM
I tried Goose Island Bourbon County Stout for the first time last weekend. It's the Ghost Chile of beers. Wow. :eek:

Geebus, 13% alcohol....? :laugh: A four pack may be expensive but then again after drinking a couple you won't remember anyway. :gomer: I like Willamette hops as well so this sounds, um, promising.

oc