PDA

View Full Version : The Beast for the Feast - 2009

Sean Malone
12-21-09, 06:47 PM
Prepped this 7 rib beauty today so it can lose a few pounds in the fridge until Friday. It's become my annual tradition...this is year 5. Can't wait!

Wife still won't let me cook a goose. :cry:

G.
12-21-09, 08:34 PM
you do aging?

I'm too chicken.

stroker
12-21-09, 08:38 PM
Standing rib roast?

You trimmed all the fat off, you dumb bastid!

:D

Sean Malone
12-21-09, 09:21 PM
you do aging?

I'm too chicken.

Yeah, usually 3 days in the fridge but going for 4 for this one because of it's size. Its amazing how much water they lose.

This is a standing as the bones were removed by my butcher but that's all he did. I trimmed at least 5lbs of fat off of this sucker, and trust me there's still enough left on for some real love. :D

opinionated ow
12-21-09, 09:37 PM
We're doing the usual Strayan thing and having lamb.

stroker
12-21-09, 09:57 PM
Yeah, usually 3 days in the fridge but going for 4 for this one because of it's size. Its amazing how much water they lose.

This is a standing as the bones were removed by my butcher but that's all he did. I trimmed at least 5lbs of fat off of this sucker, and trust me there's still enough left on for some real love. :D

Here's a quick tip for our family's favorite taters, which can only really be done properly in the same cooker as a standing rib roast. Peel 'em, cut 'em in half lengthwise. Blanch them in some hot water (cooked about 50%). Dust them all over with very fine flour, the kind you use for making gravy (can't think of the name brand as I'm having a Senior Moment). Put them in the cooker with the roast where the spitting fat off the roast hits 'em throughout the cook time. If they're done right, the edges of the cut face of the tater should be crunchy, the "skin" leathery and the insides like a baked potato. We call 'em "broasted". Just an FYI.

oddlycalm
12-22-09, 04:26 AM
It's become my annual tradition...
It's a beaut. Just remember, to qualify as proper food pr0n you need to post an "after" pic as well. :D

oc

Sean Malone
12-22-09, 11:15 AM
Here's a quick tip for our family's favorite taters, which can only really be done properly in the same cooker as a standing rib roast. Peel 'em, cut 'em in half lengthwise. Blanch them in some hot water (cooked about 50%). Dust them all over with very fine flour, the kind you use for making gravy (can't think of the name brand as I'm having a Senior Moment). Put them in the cooker with the roast where the spitting fat off the roast hits 'em throughout the cook time. If they're done right, the edges of the cut face of the tater should be crunchy, the "skin" leathery and the insides like a baked potato. We call 'em "broasted". Just an FYI.

Sounds good! Do you think this would small reds too?

Sean Malone
12-22-09, 11:17 AM
We're doing the usual Strayan thing and having lamb.

Contemplated having lamb, but only 3 of the 10 coming like lamb. I do lamb chops on the grill at Easter. :thumbup:

Sean Malone
12-23-09, 12:11 AM
The oranges are in! Picked up half a bushel of red navels and half a bushel of grapefruit at my favorite orchard that sells them bagged at the side of the road. Juiced every single one...had 2 screw drivers and a gray hound before I was even done juicing! LOL! No lie. Pure heaven.
Yes, the juicer is old school, my parents received it as a wedding present back in '62. Mom gave it to me in '95. I wouldn't juice with anything else. :thumbup:

opinionated ow
12-23-09, 12:32 AM
What the hell is a bushell of oranges? Last I checked Bushells was a brand of tea bags

G.
12-23-09, 01:00 AM
What the hell is a bushell of oranges? Last I checked Bushells was a brand of tea bags

four pecks and a pelvic thrust, or something.

it's from the old country (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bushel)

TravelGal
12-23-09, 02:15 AM
four pecks and a pelvic thrust, or something.

it's from the old country (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bushel)

That reference sure clears it up. Not. I prefer the bushel and peck and a hug around the neck definition.

chop456
12-23-09, 03:20 AM
What the hell is a bushell of oranges?

Bushel basket:

http://mgs-inc-furniture-and-storage.com/images/products/detail/2F16BushelBasket.jpg

I would assume that yours look just like this one, only upside down.

devilmaster
12-23-09, 01:17 PM
you do aging?

I'm too chicken.

It is actually one of the easiest things to do, and yet people (including myself before I started doing it) think its the hardest....

The real trick with a home fridge is that they cycle on and off. At the restaurant, I am lucky to have a constantly blowing walk-in. The temperature variance of a home fridge isn't the major issue (unless your fridge goes near 50 degrees) but its the airflow. Aging requires moving air to work properly. If you have a dedicated fridge to do this, add a small electric fan to help constantly move the air round. (realize of course this will add a small amount of heat, so adjust the fridge accordingly.)

the restaurant has been open over one year now, and that roughly translates into ~52 striploins that have been aged for a week, then separated into steaks and ground for burgers. The only issue I ever had was when one of my cooks took the steak off the hook, cut up some steaks, then put it in a regular fridge, in a pan, meat side down, and then covered it in plastic wrap. A few days later we threw out half a strip.

Alton brown did an episode with it, and here's a link to a vid that also describes aging...
http://www.foodtv.ca/theheat/videos.aspx?releasePID=dMFwJtOupgJ9jMc8I54ZG6J_Gkg 9TmRI

He also did an entire episode dedicated to a steak tasting which delves into steaks a bit.
http://www.foodtv.ca/theheat/videos.aspx?releasePID=2R8GXQtI_BF3K1MLw4AO5_0DNG6 OIff7

dando
12-23-09, 01:30 PM
It is actually one of the easiest things to do, and yet people (including myself before I started doing it) think its the hardest....

As I start to read this post, I'm thinking AB did a Good Eats on this.... :) Problem I have with aging is I need a third fridge...one for food, one for beer, and one for meat funness. :D

-Kevin

Sean Malone
12-23-09, 01:44 PM
As I start to read this post, I'm thinking AB did a Good Eats on this.... :) Problem I have with aging is I need a third fridge...one for food, one for beer, and one for meat funness. :D

-Kevin

I picked up a beer fridge that I put in the garage from Craigs List for $200. It's a 2 year old Whirlpool.

Don Quixote
12-23-09, 02:13 PM
Problem I have with aging is I need a third fridge...one for food, one for beer, and one for meat funness.
Not to mention the freezer for leftovers and the one for Costco purchases. Pretty soon the ole electric meter is spinning so fast you can't see anything but a blurr.

dando
12-23-09, 04:10 PM
Not to mention the freezer for leftovers and the one for Costco purchases. Pretty soon the ole electric meter is spinning so fast you can't see anything but a blurr.

And here lies the crux of the problem. Any more electrical gear in this homizzle, and I'll be like the Griswold clan @ Xmas. :gomer: :irked:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
12-23-09, 07:06 PM
And here lies the crux of the problem. Any more electrical gear in this homizzle, and I'll be like the Griswold clan @ Xmas. :gomer: :irked:

-Kevin

Just get more power strips!!!! :D

devilmaster
12-23-09, 10:33 PM
The little lights ain't twinkling.

TrueBrit
12-24-09, 01:06 PM
The little lights ain't twinkling.

Thanks for noticing..

Gnam
12-24-09, 02:09 PM
Merry Christmas, everyone. Please enjoy these re-gifted holiday greetings from Laguna Seca that I stole off their website. ;)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1677/2009lagunaxmas.jpg

stroker
12-24-09, 02:47 PM
Sounds good! Do you think this would small reds too?

Hmmmmmmmm.... If you peel 'em, then reds aren't really reds any more, are they? I suppose it might work. My buddy made some baked quartered reds that he dusted with Season-All and they were incredible.

Sean Malone
12-24-09, 05:21 PM
Hmmmmmmmm.... If you peel 'em, then reds aren't really reds any more, are they? I suppose it might work. My buddy made some baked quartered reds that he dusted with Season-All and they were incredible.

I was just gonna split em half and throw them in with the roast. I may get over ruled. :)

oddlycalm
12-24-09, 06:11 PM
Dust them all over with very fine flour, the kind you use for making gravy (can't think of the name brand as I'm having a Senior Moment).
Cake or pastry flour, yes? Softassilk, Swans, King Arthur, White Lilly, Queen Guinevere. Who gets paid to come up with these goofy brand names...?

Great recipe for the spuds BTW. Sounds like it would go perfect with any roast. :thumbup:

oc

cameraman
12-24-09, 06:35 PM
If it gravy flour it is probably Wondra.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Wondra.jpg

stroker
12-24-09, 09:04 PM
^^^^^^^^^ That's it.

Opposite Lock
12-25-09, 03:07 PM
Blow Torch Rib Roast:
RnbqP5Zhys4&feature

Sean Malone
12-27-09, 06:40 PM
It's a beaut. Just remember, to qualify as proper food pr0n you need to post an "after" pic as well. :D

oc

Considering that my remote meat thermometer broke 30 minutes in...it turned out great. The traditional popovers were a big hit too.

oddlycalm
12-27-09, 09:47 PM
Considering that my remote meat thermometer broke 30 minutes in...it turned out great. The traditional popovers were a big hit too.
Outstanding roast beast and great food pr0n. Were you happy with the taste after the dry aging?

oc

Sean Malone
12-27-09, 10:39 PM
Outstanding roast beast and great food pr0n. Were you happy with the taste after the dry aging?

oc

Good question, as I was actually a somewhat disappointed with this roast. The texture was more like a very tender sirloin steak than your typical, melt in your mouth steak house style prime rib. Either 4 days was too much, or I over cooked it a bit or maybe both. Or, could have just been the cut. I've read you can dry age them for up to 10 days. Last year I only aged it about 24 hours and it was much better. This was also the first boneless rib roast I've done. We know how good bone is! Will probably go back to a standing rib roast next time we host Christmas and reduce the dry aging.
It's a fun and easy holiday beast to cook, although truth be told, I'd just as soon have a top quality ribeye, but that's not as 'holidayish'. I really wanted to do a classic surf and turf this year (whole Maine lobster with filet Mignon) but the logistics of cooking 10 whole live lobsters and 10 filets drove me back to a simple roast. :D

Next year my wife and I already decided that we're going to have a 'Christmas in D.C.'. Down town restaurants each night...'A Christmas Carol' at Ford's Theater and Christmas morning at the sis-in-laws high rise Alexandria condo over looking DC. Already counting down the days.

cameraman
12-27-09, 11:47 PM
Looks good. I have to say though that I greatly prefer to order a prime 190a. Which works out to be Tenderloin, Full, Side Muscle Off, Skinned.

Six pounds of pure heaven:cool:

dando
12-28-09, 11:23 AM
This was also the first boneless rib roast I've done. We know how good bone is! Will probably go back to a standing rib roast next time we host Christmas and reduce the dry aging.

The bone makes a huge difference. Even pork loin chops bone in and bone out are night and day.

Unfortunately the MIL's first attempt @ the rib roast by herself did not go so well. I knew it wasn't going to be good when I arrived, took it out of the oven, and the thermometer was ~180. :( For some reason she didn't use the remote thermometer. :saywhat:

We also learned about creative wiring when we arrived and found the lights on the patio weren't working. There's a breaker in the electric box labeled 'Panel GFCI'...apparently this breaker powers a GFCI outlet next to the panel, the outlets in the basement and the light in the adjoining study (both front of the house). It also powers the patio lights in the rear of the house (and Lord knows what else). :saywhat: :shakehead The GFCI had tripped, which knocked the rest of them out.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-28-09, 02:23 PM
Made massive yeasted apple cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. Formed Xmas eve and allowed to partially rise before throwing them in the fridge for the night. A dozen for us and a dozen for the SiL. A tradition but the concensus is this year's were the best.

Xmas dinner I made a 6# boneless pork roast brined 36 hours in a apple/orange concoction stuffed with apricots, apples, raisins, craisins and cornbread. Cooked on the grill at 200 and finished for 15 minutes at 500. Also potatoes roasted in butter and buttered snow peas with caramelized onions, mushrooms, bacon and a little lemon juice.

Had I seen this thread earlier (I guess I was busy cooking :gomer:) I would have taken pictures.

I have always wanted to dry age some cow, but have been shy. Alton and you guys may have inspired me.

oddlycalm
12-28-09, 06:26 PM
Pretty sure I've got the "least photogenic dinner" award firmly nailed down. The Cabezon was so ugly I buried it in a full salt crust to avoid scaring off our diners. It tastes amazing, like a cross between the best cod you've ever had and a scallop. Problem is that it looks hideous and has turqoise flesh which only turns ivory white when cooked. :eek::laugh:

oc

dando
12-28-09, 06:32 PM
Pretty sure I've got the "least photogenic dinner" award firmly nailed down. The Cabezon was so ugly I buried it in a full salt crust to avoid scaring off our diners. It tastes amazing, like a cross between the best cod you've ever had and a scallop. Problem is that it looks hideous and has turqoise flesh which only turns ivory white when cooked. :eek::laugh:

oc

Fixed. :D

-Kevin

Sean Malone
12-28-09, 07:20 PM
Fixed. :D

-Kevin

He never say’s anything taste like chicken… Not even chicken.
Every time he goes for a swim, Cabezon's appear.:D

oddlycalm
12-28-09, 10:10 PM
He never say’s anything taste like chicken… Not even chicken.
Every time he goes for a swim, Cabezon's appear.:D Funny stuff guys, but not very interesting as it turns out. Cabezon live on every underwater rock pile from BC to Baja. This one walked up to the door courtesy of our next door neighbor who went fishing on a party boat out of Depot Bay last Thursday and came back with a big cooler full of rock fish. I was happy to put the cedar plank grilled salmon plan on hold and cook Mr. Uglyfish inside where it was warm.

oc

Sean Malone
12-28-09, 10:26 PM
Xmas dinner I made a 6# boneless pork roast brined 36 hours in a apple/orange concoction stuffed with apricots, apples, raisins, craisins and cornbread. Cooked on the grill at 200 and finished for 15 minutes at 500. Also potatoes roasted in butter and buttered snow peas with caramelized onions, mushrooms, bacon and a little lemon juice.

Sounds excellent. I had a similar stuffing with venison at a little colonial inn in Virginia that was fantastic. Good holiday dinner!

Sean Malone
12-28-09, 10:28 PM
Funny stuff guys, but not very interesting as it turns out. Cabezon live on every underwater rock pile from BC to Baja. This one walked up to the door courtesy of our next door neighbor who went fishing on a party boat out of Depot Bay last Thursday and came back with a big cooler full of rock fish. I was happy to put the cedar plank grilled salmon plan on hold and cook Mr. Uglyfish inside where it was warm.

oc

you West siders talk funny. :) (and eat ugly fish). :D

G.
12-29-09, 01:09 AM

oc
By your rule, MIMITW, we need the after pic. In this case, I think we really DO need it.

:)

chop456
12-29-09, 02:31 AM

oc

That pic looks like a cross between a Plecostamus and Tori Spelling.

Ankf00
12-29-09, 03:46 AM

:rofl:

Indy
12-29-09, 04:59 AM

I had to google it.

Tori Spelling, I mean.

:eyesburning:

oddlycalm
12-29-09, 05:18 PM
That pic looks like a cross between a Plecostamus and Tori Spelling. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You insult my fish sir. :D The Tori Spelling crack cruel and I damn near choked on some water. :laugh: Life as a large sculpin eating shellfish on a rock pile all day, may not prepare one for the camera but it's fine preparation for the dinner table.

The big reveal when the salt shell gets opened is a bit of a yawn because if you leave the head and fins off all you have pile of yummy white fish ready to eat, all guest friendly and such.

BTW, the first time I did the salt crust thing was on a rib roast and before I'd seen the Alton Brown salt crust tenderloin recipe so I didn't use any egg whites or flour, just kosher salt and water. Bit of a structural problem as it turned out. Helluva time getting the damp salt to stay on that $*^&W roast...:gomer:

oc

Andrew Longman
12-29-09, 05:55 PM
Sounds excellent. I had a similar stuffing with venison at a little colonial inn in Virginia that was fantastic. Good holiday dinner!

Thank you. It was.

The wifey is saying I'm making her fat. Seems like a small price to pay for good eats. :D

Anyway I made her a balsamic grilled chicken salad last night (baking oatmeal choc-chip cookies tonight though)

Elmo T
12-30-09, 11:03 AM
I think my kitchen is only now back in order. ;)

Nothing too fancy for us this year. We opted for a city ham, cooked with Alton Brown's guidance and prep: heated low and slow, finished with spicy mustard, brown sugar, and a generous coating of crushed ginger cookies. The family picked at the ham like you would pick off the turkey skin. The recipe can take even the cheapest ham and turn it into some special.

We also used AB's recipe for carrots - cooked in Ginger Ale, reduced to a glaze with a sprinkling of chili powder.

Breakfast was homemade sticky buns, AB's buttermilk pancakes, and spicy cheese pie (a cheese quiche with bacon, peppers, onions).