PDA

View Full Version : wasn't this why the Tantrum happened?

G.
12-15-09, 02:24 PM
Mindy down to two weeks in the Semi-Month of May!

Mindy PMS reduced to only 2 weeks (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091215/SPORTS0107/91215016/Indy-500-schedule-shrinks-by-one-week)

dando
12-15-09, 02:27 PM
Mindy down to two weeks in the Semi-Month of May!

Mindy PMS reduced to only 2 weeks (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091215/SPORTS0107/91215016/Indy-500-schedule-shrinks-by-one-week)

Here's hoping for rain. :tony:

-Kevin

Chief
12-15-09, 08:15 PM
Evil dando....:rofl:

Rumor has it...they had to do this due to scheduling conflicts with Danica's ARCA schedule.:p

STD
12-15-09, 10:03 PM
Is this news or something unexpected?

SteveH
12-15-09, 10:54 PM
evolution

miatanut
12-16-09, 12:02 AM
Tony gone, condensed Indy, wingless car with areas of open development, powered by a four banger and built by consortium of team owners.

If they keep moving in this direction, I will be out of reasons for ignoring them. :rofl:

SurfaceUnits
12-16-09, 12:54 AM
Tony gone, condensed Indy, wingless car with areas of open development, powered by a four banger and built by consortium of team owners.

If they keep moving in this direction, I will be out of reasons for ignoring them. :rofl:

you'll still be surrounded by a bunch of pafftards

eiregosod
12-16-09, 06:10 AM
hasnt IMS/IRL tried to implement ALL the ideals of CART but just didnt get it right.

The IRL is for sale, and having to run the cost of an extra weak, not a spelling mistake, might be lure to get a potential investor to bite. If :tony: does buy the IRL, you can bet he'll make decisions knowing that mammy's bank account wont bail him out this time.

NismoZ
12-16-09, 12:22 PM
Who owns it now?

JLMannin
12-16-09, 02:43 PM
Who owns it now?

The same people that own this:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7dYwEdj2J_wjzM:http://haleyfoods.com/images/uploads/logos/clabberGirl.png

miatanut
12-16-09, 02:56 PM
you'll still be surrounded by a bunch of pafftards

pafftard is turned off by the way they've gone. If they really do the new car and this other stuff, they will have a product racing fans can enjoy and the pafftards would soon be outnumbered.

Elmo T
12-16-09, 03:35 PM
If they really do the new car and this other stuff, they will have a product racing fans can enjoy

A big "IF" there and how do we define "racing fans"? Will the product be real racing or NASCAR racing (The Cheese Wiz equivalent of the racing world).

I don't foresee this as a repatriation of all things "Indy-centric" and a return to something resembling an event from the glory days. I think that opportunity has long since passed.

Can this plan even stop the bleeding (loss of $ + any remaining viewers, fans, drivers, teams, sponsors)? :shakehead

STD
12-16-09, 03:50 PM
A big "IF" there and how do we define "racing fans"? Will the product be real racing or NASCAR racing (The Cheese Wiz equivalent of the racing world).

I don't foresee this as a repatriation of all things "Indy-centric" and a return to something resembling an event from the glory days. I think that opportunity has long since passed.

Can this plan even stop the bleeding (loss of $ + any remaining viewers, fans, drivers, teams, sponsors)? :shakehead

Spot on. I would still have no interest at all.

oddlycalm
12-16-09, 04:48 PM

Agreed on all points, but strange things happen and they tend to happen at times of severe pressure. One very possible scenario is the simply EARL dies, accomplishing a clean flush of the incompetent management the lackluster teams and the goober fans. Full reset and a clean sheet of paper.

At the same time the those that own natural terrain road courses that have been fat, dumb and happy booking them solid for club track days are finding that a lot harder to do in this economy. A race weekend that made enough money would be interesting to many of them.

oc

miatanut
12-17-09, 01:15 PM

I'll admit I hadn't thought of the possibility they could move in a very promising direction with the car but still have fake racing. If you have real cars, is there any need for fake racing? NASCAR's problem had been fake cars.

One very possible scenario is the simply EARL dies, accomplishing a clean flush of the incompetent management the lackluster teams and the goober fans. Full reset and a clean sheet of paper.

That's the result I've been wishing for for years, but I have concluded it's not going to happen. On the other hand, if they repudiated the direction Tony took the sport and they had real racing with real cars, but still called it the IRL, is it really the IRL? I would say it was the IRL in name only. It would still suffer from being Indy-centric, but this whole "Delta Wing" owner's group thing looks to me like the team owners finally starting to exercise a bit more control over their destiny.

A lot of folks say the reason CART was able to survive the first year was a leadership vacuum at USAC and Indy. Maybe there is now a new leadership vacuum at Indy to exploit?

oddlycalm
12-17-09, 01:53 PM
Maybe there is now a new leadership vacuum at Indy to exploit?
There's no doubt about that. The IMS is in survival mode. My personal opinion is that in order to succeed long term the racing has to get out from under the jaundiced shadow of the IMS. Being subject to the whim of whoever happens to be running that place has been a recipe for disaster and it's only served to surpress other venues and drive them into the hands of ISC.

oc

miatanut
12-17-09, 03:56 PM
Being subject to the whim of whoever happens to be running that place has been a recipe for disaster and it's only served to surpress other venues and drive them into the hands of ISC.

oc

I totally agree, so I've always thought the best thing would be for the IRL to implode and leave the field open for the people with gasoline running in their veins to re-take control of the sport. IMS could run a mid-western all-oval series which would make the :gomer:s happy and the rest of us could have a proper open wheel road racing series.

Unfortunately, that will never happen.

Elmo T
12-17-09, 04:19 PM
If you have real cars, is there any need for fake racing? NASCAR's problem had been fake cars.

I am not a fan of NASCAR hardware, but I never saw that as the main problem. I think there is the real possibility of fake racing with new Indy hardware. It could very well dumbed-down racing where it is all about the show and the entertainment value. This is NASCAR's problem IMHO.

Perhaps it is a romantic view, but racing was better when the focus was #1: racing. And what happened? People actually attended races, which later encouraged TV coverage.

The fake racing alternative is to create an entertainment package ready made for TV. It will include a focus on camera-ready personalities who are legally permitted to drive what we will call a race car - a preference over other folks who aren't camera ready or speak English as a second language but have superior driving abilities. The show takes priority over the "race" and decisions will be made to improve the show when necessary - bogus caution flags for example.

Indy needs some new hardware, for sure - but that won't stop the death spiral.

Sean Malone
12-17-09, 04:42 PM
I totally agree, so I've always thought the best thing would be for the IRL to implode and leave the field open for the people with gasoline running in their veins to re-take control of the sport. IMS could run a mid-western all-oval series which would make the :gomer:s happy and the rest of us could have a proper open wheel road racing series.

Unfortunately, that will never happen.

I question if there are any left. The IRL dies...what 'purists' would rise from the ashes? To me, the only ones who 'would' start a new series are in the IRL now. Those who 'could' probably wouldn't want to. Seems like those who are into racing for the racing, race sports cars.

To me the single mistake of the ridiculously labeled 'merger' was that they immediately didn't drop the Dallara and go with DP01 or at least allow them both to race. that would have gone a long way in not ostracizing the last few remaining 'real' fans.

miatanut
12-17-09, 07:53 PM
I am not a fan of NASCAR hardware, but I never saw that as the main problem.

I thought when they dropped the concept that the cars had to be built-up from stuff Joe Hotrod could buy, and they became tube frame silhouette racers equalized to death, they became fake race cars.

To me the single mistake of the ridiculously labeled 'merger' was that they immediately didn't drop the Dallara and go with DP01 or at least allow them both to race. that would have gone a long way in not ostracizing the last few remaining 'real' fans.

I totally agree. I thought they could have run some simulation software and dialed back the boost on the DP01 so they would end up roughly equivalent to the IRL package on most of the courses and raced them side by side. The two warring factions of fans would have rooted for their guys against the other side and in addition to making it look like a proper merger, it would have given them a lot of publicity value. The DP01 would have been a total dog at Texas & Indy unless they gave it a major horsepower boost, but maybe that would have been good. There would be the drama of Cossies grenading during those races. Who will make it to the end?

But, Tony wanted to make it clear to the world that he won, and his victory was total.

SteveH
12-17-09, 07:59 PM
But, Tony wanted to make it clear to the world that he won, and his victory was total.

Yeah, how'd that turn out, Tony? :tony:

STD
12-18-09, 12:07 AM
I am not a fan of NASCAR hardware, but I never saw that as the main problem. I think there is the real possibility of fake racing with new Indy hardware. It could very well dumbed-down racing where it is all about the show and the entertainment value. This is NASCAR's problem IMHO.

Perhaps it is a romantic view, but racing was better when the focus was #1: racing. And what happened? People actually attended races, which later encouraged TV coverage.

The fake racing alternative is to create an entertainment package ready made for TV. It will include a focus on camera-ready personalities who are legally permitted to drive what we will call a race car - a preference over other folks who aren't camera ready or speak English as a second language but have superior driving abilities. The show takes priority over the "race" and decisions will be made to improve the show when necessary - bogus caution flags for example.

Indy needs some new hardware, for sure - but that won't stop the death spiral.

Yep.

Duroc
12-18-09, 06:27 PM
hasnt IMS/IRL tried to implement ALL the ideals of CART but just didnt get it right.

The IRL is for sale, and having to run the cost of an extra weak, not a spelling mistake, might be lure to get a potential investor to bite. If :tony: does buy the IRL, you can bet he'll make decisions knowing that mammy's bank account wont bail him out this time.

They won't be able to unload that pile of crap. :tony: got what he wanted and broke it real good. It's tied to IMS\the 500 in a death spiral now.

The track will end up a re-development site with a racing museum and street names as the only reminders of what was.