PDA

View Full Version : Secrets Suck

Sean Malone
12-11-09, 01:00 PM
Schmidt's philosophy is clear with Bartiromo in the clip below: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." The philosophy that secrets are useful mainly to indecent people is awfully convenient for Schmidt as the CEO of a company whose value proposition revolves around info-hoarding. Convenient, that is, as long as people are smart enough not to apply the "secrets suck" philosophy to their Google passwords , credit card numbers and various other secrets they need to put money in Google's pockets.

YGTBFKM!!!

http://gawker.com/5419271/google-ceo-secrets-are-for-filthy-people

Indy
12-11-09, 11:59 PM
I just started on an anti-google kick when I read up on what they actually do and how they make their money. Not that any of the big intardweb companies are any better. **** them all.

Here is a search site that shows respect for privacy. http://www.startpage.com/

Sean Malone
12-12-09, 08:51 AM
Cool. :thumbup:

Startpage is the world\'s most private search engine. Startpage does not record your IP address or make a record of your searches

G.
12-12-09, 02:39 PM
Cool. :thumbup:

Yeah, it's cool and all, but I turned off filtering and looked for pics of Lucy Lui.

After about 150 or so, I still hadn't seen bumpy bits. Google, nips in under 80 pics.

Sometimes, ya just gotta make sacrifices...

:)

(thanks for the site, Indy. I'll start using it.)

grungex
12-13-09, 02:05 AM
Pics of Lucy Liu, OTOH... :p

dando
12-13-09, 11:47 AM
I just started on an anti-google kick when I read up on what they actually do and how they make their money. Not that any of the big intardweb companies are any better. **** them all.

Here is a search site that shows respect for privacy. http://www.startpage.com/

Nice start, but it needs to grow up more. Video results are blank in Windoze 7/FF 3.5.x. Do a search for flowers and 600K+ results are reported with the pagination, but no results. Fail. I also miss the integrated mapping and news features GOOG has. ore than half of my searches focus on those areas. The other half are pr0n. :gomer:

-Kevin

Indy
12-13-09, 11:58 AM
90% of the time I am searching for some tidbit of information. Like, I am watching Top Chef and they mention some obscure cooking technique, and I can't remember or don't know what it is. Any search engine works fine for that.

Where I resort to google is when, for example, I am going to be giving a presentation, and I need to review the latest and best information on a subject. There, lack of knowledge is embarrassing, and I want to have the best shot at it possible.

So, I think google is better for work-related searches. But I avoid it as much as I can.

Indy
12-13-09, 12:01 PM
Speaking of work-related searches, I wonder if anyone has thought through the degree to which data-mining could be a tool of espionage against corporations. Think about it. Google knows who you are, where you are, and who you work for. Is it a stretch to imagine that they could compile the information from employee's searches and sell it to a competitor?

TravelGal
12-13-09, 10:16 PM
Speaking of work-related searches, I wonder if anyone has thought through the degree to which data-mining could be a tool of espionage against corporations. Think about it. Google knows who you are, where you are, and who you work for. Is it a stretch to imagine that they could compile the information from employee's searches and sell it to a competitor?

Six (or three) Days of the Condor anyone? I am also one of those that dislikes Google. I don't use any product of theirs except their search engine and then as sparingly as possible. I'm going to make startpage my home page. Thanks. :thumbup:

Sean Malone
12-14-09, 10:26 AM
90% of the time I am searching for some tidbit of information. Like, I am watching Top Chef and they mention some obscure cooking technique, and I can't remember or don't know what it is. Any search engine works fine for that.

Where I resort to google is when, for example, I am going to be giving a presentation, and I need to review the latest and best information on a subject. There, lack of knowledge is embarrassing, and I want to have the best shot at it possible.

So, I think google is better for work-related searches. But I avoid it as much as I can.

I guess it depends on what kind of work you're doing. :)

Forget search engines...Wikipedia FTMFW.