PDA

View Full Version : Surfs up

oddlycalm
12-08-09, 06:47 PM
Didn't notice this ealier but the Quiksilver Eddie Aikau went live today. 25ft. + at Waimea.

Live feed (http://live.quiksilver.com/2009/eddie/live.php?btn_live=_over)

I managed to catch it right at the beginning of round 2. Amazing day.

oc

oddlycalm
12-08-09, 10:50 PM
I won't post the results because it'll be tape delayed in most places but it was insane. The ocean was pulsing all day and the final sets in the last heat were breaking in the middle of the bay which only happens at it's maximum size. Five minutes after the horn a closeout set rolled in.

A couple perfect 100 point scores late in the day on some real monsters. Several guys rode in all the way to the nasty 12-15ft shore break. :eek:

It's been 5yrs since conditions were good enough to hold the Eddie and I hope it's not another long wait for the next one. Great to see the no compromise approach though and kudos to the legendary George Downing for making the call to go today. :thumbup:

oc

PS - Seeing 60yr old Clyde Aikau in the running for the Monster Drop of the day puts an exclamation on what being a real waterman means. Unbelievable.

Sean Malone
12-08-09, 11:03 PM
Cool. Never took you for a wave man. Watchin' it now.

oddlycalm
12-09-09, 08:28 PM
Yeah, spent the summer in Hawaii during 60's and got hooked. Just a spectator these days. We've got a fun little spot up here call Nelscott Reef that rocks hard when the winter swells come...:eek: :cool:

http://www.vans.com/surf/uploaded_images/Screen-shot-2009-10-29-at-3.19.42-PM-764999.png

datachicane
12-09-09, 08:43 PM
Yep, just around the corner from Sambo's :tony:

Michaelhatesfans
12-11-09, 03:56 AM
Yep, just around the corner from Sambo's :tony:

:laugh:
Haven't been in there for a while. Last time I was in there they still had the "holy crap I can't believe that's on the wall" illustrations.:eek:

Michaelhatesfans
12-11-09, 04:02 AM
Cool. Never took you for a wave man.

OC is currently involved in legal action with Dos Equis, as they have used the "most interesting man in the world" character without his permission.

Don Quixote
12-11-09, 08:47 AM
OC lives vicariously through himself. :thumbup:

Sean Malone
12-11-09, 09:20 AM
He once cured narcolepsy just by entering the room. His organ donor card also lists his beard. He's a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any ideas. His reputation is expanding faster than the universe and yet...he's oddly calm. :rofl:

Napoleon
12-11-09, 09:58 AM
:laugh:

datachicane
12-11-09, 11:05 AM
He once called a wrong number, but the person on the other end refused to admit he had done so. :rofl:

Don Quixote
12-11-09, 02:08 PM
One woman didn't think he was the world's most handsome man, but as it turns out, she was blind.

oddlycalm
12-11-09, 05:46 PM
:D :laugh: Funny stuff.

Truth is that while 60yr old Clyde Aikau was in the water making free fall drops in near closeout conditions at Waimea, and making it look easy, I was holding down a chair looking a a computer monitor.

My time in Hawaii when I was kid was equally humbling. I was a decent competitive swimmer but there I was faced with middle aged guys that could swim circles around me and out paddle me every time. If the break closed out they faced several miles of blue water paddling to get back to shore. They weren't doing it for glory and big bucks endorsements, guys like Eddie Aikau were doing it on life guard wages. About all I could manage was to avoid getting killed body surfing a 6ft. shore break at Makapuu. :gomer:

It had a similar effect on me as Can Am and FIM GP racing did. The equipment was wild and hairy and the tracks were terrifying but nobody was there to get wealthy and there were no 2nd tier drives/riders arriving in private planes.

Nothing I've ever done holds a candle to any of it but I'm glad I got to appreciate it. :thumbup:

oc

PS - the bit about the beard is true... on the organ donor list. :D