PDA

View Full Version : Fuel fill cap location?

Elmo T
12-07-09, 04:14 PM
Not to sound like a Seinfeld rountine, "Did you ever wonder why..."

BUT - why is the fuel fill cap located on the left side of the Honda and the right side of my Subaru Tribeca?????

I never gave it too much though until Saturday AM when I stopped in to gas up before the coming snow storm (4" inches :rolleyes:).

The pumps were all full and I was bucking traffic flow to get into position with the Subie. Once a pump opened, I found myself nose to nose with a truck pulled so far forward we were almost touching by the time I could get into position to fill up. :mad:

SO - why are they on different sides??

Napoleon
12-07-09, 04:21 PM
What, do you think one of us is the third Magliozzi brother?

Gnam
12-07-09, 04:22 PM
Same reason they bombed Pearl Harbor, just to **** with us. :p

I think it's cause they drive on the left in Japan. They move the steering wheel over, but not the filler cap for the US models. Honda sells enough to make tailored cars for both markets. Not sure though.

Elmo T
12-07-09, 04:28 PM
What, do you think one of us is the third Magliozzi brother?

Collectively, well then YES.

I could look on the internet, but what fun would that be!

I think it's cause they drive on the left in Japan. They move the steering wheel over, but not the filler cap for the US models. Honda sells enough to make tailored cars for both markets. Not sure though.

But both cars were built in the good old USA. Seems moving the filler cap would be way easier that moving the steering wheel. :confused:

Sean Malone
12-07-09, 04:33 PM
What drives me crazy is that my truck fill door is on the driver side, my boat is on the passenger side. :mad:

I recall that some Jags had fill access on both sides.

chop456
12-07-09, 04:38 PM
Someone told me a long time ago that German cars always had them on the passenger side because it was safer if you were standing on the side of the road, filling your tank with a gas can.

Sonds like nonsense to me, but that's all I have. :gomer:

Also, that chain e-mail that says whatever side the hose is on in the gas pump symbol on your dashboard corresponds with the side of the car that the fuel filler door is on is full of ****.

Sean Malone
12-07-09, 04:43 PM
every car I've had in the last 10 years has had a little arrow pointing to the side with the fuel door.

Napoleon
12-07-09, 04:43 PM
Someone told me a long time ago that German cars always had them on the passenger side because it was safer if you were standing on the side of the road, filling your tank with a gas can.

I actually think I heard that on Car Talk (seriously).

Napoleon
12-07-09, 04:46 PM
By the way, I use to have a 1976 Triumph TR-6 and the damn cap was right in the middle of the little deck between the back window and the trunk lid. Talk about a really lousy location.

Sean Malone
12-07-09, 04:49 PM
By the way, I use to have a 1976 Triumph TR-6 and the damn cap was right in the middle of the little deck between the back window and the trunk lid. Talk about a really lousy location.

I had numerous old American iron with the gas cap under the rear license plate.

datachicane
12-07-09, 05:06 PM

Yep. Here in Oregon self-serve is illegal. It's fun to watch the pump jockeys try to figure out where the fuel goes in your vintage car. The best has to be the shoebox Chevys with the filler hidden behind the hinged taillight. I've even seem them baffled by the huge chrome cap on the back of my '65 Mustang.

Napoleon
12-07-09, 05:17 PM

I had totally forgotten that my parents cars were that way.

miatanut
12-07-09, 05:20 PM
Up to now, I thought European cars were typically on the right, and Japanese cars on the left, but the Subie blows that one. I used to know the pattern on American cars. Cars from the same manufacturer over a several year period were fairly consistent.

Most rentals I've rented have had the little arrow but I've never owned a car that did. I rented a Mustang recently with a 'capless' setup. Longest time I've ever taken trying to figure out how to get the gas in a car. I still don't remember exactly how I got the door open. I don't think I ever found a release lever anywhere.

Sean Malone
12-07-09, 05:27 PM
I had totally forgotten that my parents cars were that way.

Now I feel old. :(

emjaya
12-07-09, 05:33 PM
We have two korean cars. Not only is the filler cap on different sides of the car, but the indicator stalk is on different sides of the steering column.

Drives me insane.

dando
12-07-09, 05:42 PM
We have two korean cars. Not only is the filler cap on different sides of the car, but the indicator stalk is on different sides of the steering column.

Drives me insane.

Yes, but y'all are bass ackwards down there anyway. ;)

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
12-07-09, 05:43 PM
Try having four cars, two on the right side, two on the left side.
Drives you crazy.

Here is my two cents.

the answer is so that you can go one way into the gas station and both pumps can be used, left and right.

That is what my local sams club does, there is only one way in and one way out. So the left pumps are mostly empty, cause they do not have a long enough hose to reach to the other side of big cars.

Rogue Leader
12-07-09, 06:26 PM
my 2010 Camaro SS has it on the Right side, but both my 2000 vette, and my 99 Trans Am, had it on the driver side.... My ex's Mini had it on the drivers side (I think), My 93 VW had it on the right side tho....

Many cars have a little indicator arrow next to the gas pump for which side it is on.

extramundane
12-07-09, 07:22 PM

Hell, you're lucky they remembered to put one in at all. :D

opinionated ow
12-07-09, 07:48 PM

Drives me insane.

Same in our house. My Daewoo Espero the fill is on the right and they changed the blinker and wiper controls to the correct RHD configuration. My sister's Nubira is backwards controls and I think the filler in on the other side.

Just to prove that RHD/LHD has nothing to do with it. Commodores and Falcons have them on different sides.

Sean Malone
12-07-09, 08:26 PM
That is what my local sams club does, there is only one way in and one way out. So the left pumps are mostly empty, cause they do not have a long enough hose to reach to the other side of big cars.

At ours people just ignore the signs, arrows and attendants and turn around. Pissed my pop off enough, he canceled his membership. I asked an attendant once why they allow people to turn around and she replied that it was a management mandate not to confront them because of potential hostility. It's a retarded setup.

Sean Malone
12-07-09, 08:35 PM
Many cars have a little indicator arrow next to the gas pump for which side it is on.

Yep. Even new Miata's do.

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/X/m/ag_07miata_dash.jpg

I did some googling of 6 or so makes and the only make that didn't have an arrow was a Jetta. Which is rather strange because the Audi, with almost identicle cluster does.

cameraman
12-07-09, 09:52 PM
Well my 1995 Outback doesn't have any such indicator. The filler is on the passenger side. After driving the same car for 14 years I don't even have to think about it anymore:\

opinionated ow
12-07-09, 10:31 PM

In the last 20 years we've owned Two daihatsus, two daewoos, three renaults and I've driven a Ford Focus and a Toyota Hi-Ace and I've not seen that once.:confused:

chop456
12-08-09, 12:03 AM
I did some googling of 6 or so makes and the only make that didn't have an arrow was a Jetta. Which is rather strange because the Audi, with almost identicle cluster does.

That's why the Audi costs more. :D

Sean Malone
12-08-09, 12:13 AM
In the last 20 years we've owned Two daihatsus, two daewoos, three renaults and I've driven a Ford Focus and a Toyota Hi-Ace and I've not seen that once.:confused:

The 'arrows' started showing up across the board in the late 90's.

This Focus has an arrow.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ford%20focus%20gauges/XvTJedMstr/PICT0100.jpg

Toyota (http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/toyota_corolla_xrs_5_spd_mt_2009_dashboard_instrum entcluster.jpg?x=640&n=1&q=90&sig=6fxZak30wRu4f1xiR1ElSg--)

Pontiac (http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/pontiac_solstice_convertible_2008_dashboard_instru mentcluster.jpg)

Jaguar (http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/reviews/car/09q4/2010_jaguar_xf_5.0_premium-short_take_road_test/gallery/2010_jaguar_xf_5.0_premium_instrument_cluster_phot o_34/2947254-1-eng-US/2010_jaguar_xf_5_0_premium_4_cd_gallery.jpg)

Volvo (http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/volvo_c30_t5_2009_dashboard_instrumentcluster.jpg)

Dodge (http://www.motoringreport.com/e107_images/newspost_images/2009_dodge_challenger_srt8_instrument_cluster_engi ne_off_wallpaper.jpg)

VW Passat (http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/volkswagen_passat_sedan_komfort_2009_dashboard_ins trumentcluster.jpg)

Mercedes (http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/mercedes_benz_sl_class_sl65_amg_roadster_2009_dash board_instrumentcluster.jpg)

Chevy (http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/magazine/images/2007chevysilveradoclub/2007ChevySilveradoClubCabInstrumentCluster01FixedS mall.jpg)

Nissan (http://autoshow.roadfly.com/wp-content/gallery/2009-nissan-maxima/nissan-maxima-speedometer-dash.jpg)

Cadillac (http://image.motortrend.com/f/9512166/112_0801_07z+2008_cadillac_CTS+gauges.jpg)

Lincoln (http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2010/klm/2010-Lincoln-MKZ-Gauges-1280x960.jpg)

I can't find an arrow on a BMW gauge...I guess they just have the attendant pump the gas.

Couldn't find pictures of Diahatsu's and Daewoos.

nrc
12-08-09, 01:30 AM
I can't find an arrow on a BMW gauge...I guess they just have the attendant pump the gas.

None on the MINI either. Just part of BMW's drive to do everything their own damn way. Of course when you can reach out and touch the fuel filler it's not hard to figure it out. :D

I actually like the way BMW does their turn signals. Evidently some folks hate it.

Rogue Leader
12-08-09, 08:50 AM

Thats cause you don't live in the US.... they only put these things on cars for stupid americans :)

Elmo T
12-08-09, 09:06 AM
I don't even have to think about it anymore:\

I've got the Honda Odyssey (DS); my work truck, Durango (DS), and the Subaru Tribeca (PS).

The only time it is an issue is when I have the Subaru and the gas station is busy. That is when find myself jockeying for a pump, driving against the general flow of vehicles.

More than once, I've started to pull the Subie in only to have the car at the neighboring pump start to pull out directly towards me. :saywhat:

SO - as best as I can interpret - the location of the filler cap has nothing to do with:

1) which side of the road you drive on
2) whether the car is left drive or right drive
3) whether the car is manufactured in the US or abroad
4) the "home country" of the car manufacturer

WickerBill
12-08-09, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure CCShark has the right answer; it's to better utilize both sides of the pumps.

Just to throw another log on the fire, when we were in a Saturn dealership a couple years ago, I noticed that the 2008 Outlook was left side and the 2008 Saturn Aura was right side. So I guess it's a model-by-model decision.

The next logical question is "Do manufacturers try to balance out their left/right production?"

Indy
12-08-09, 10:07 AM
I don't know those models, but some Saturns were Opels, so perhaps it was a U.S./Euro design thing.

And how bored are we, anyway? :laugh:

Cam
12-08-09, 10:26 AM

There isn't one on mine, but I now know it's on the drivers side. Now me getting in the drivers side is another thing. Just last week as I was leaving a clients office, I loaded myself into the left front seat and started to wonder where TF the steering wheel was. :saywhat:

KLang
12-08-09, 10:40 AM

I hadn't paid attention before but there is no arrow on the gauge of my 2010 335. Attendant???? I can't remember the last time I saw a station offering full service. :laugh: Do they even exist anymore?

Elmo T
12-08-09, 10:54 AM
Do they even exist anymore?

Just try pumping your own gas in NJ - where self-service stations are illegal.

This is the look you get from the attendant: :saywhat:

Sean Malone
12-08-09, 10:57 AM
I hadn't paid attention before but there is no arrow on the gauge of my 2010 335. Attendant???? I can't remember the last time I saw a station offering full service. :laugh: Do they even exist anymore?

Used to be Jersey had a law that an attendant had to pump the fuel. I think that changed though.
I guess if you are really rich, you have your car maintenance boy go fill all the cars up. :)

dando
12-08-09, 11:11 AM
Used to be Jersey had a law that an attendant had to pump the fuel. I think that changed though.

Nope. Still the case. :shakehead

-Kevin

datachicane
12-08-09, 11:54 AM
Attendant???? I can't remember the last time I saw a station offering full service. :laugh: Do they even exist anymore?

Yep, here in Oregon self-service is still illegal.

Every 5-6 years the oil companies push to have the law repealed, with the entirely reasonable argument that eliminating the expense of pump jockeys will result in lower prices. Unfortunately, the argument runs smack into the reality that Oregon gas prices are already as low or lower than neighboring states :saywhat:, with those savings apparently finding their way into increased profits instead. Paying the same for less service and fewer jobs is a hard sell against the status quo.

While it's illegal, plenty of attendants will let you pump into your bike or collector car (that would be your TR6, Nappy, or my Dad's similarly equipped Jensen Healey) rather than risk damaging your paint. There's plenty of cardlock stations too...

Andrew Longman
12-08-09, 03:14 PM
Not that it is a rationale, because there doesn't seem to be one, but putting the filler on the passenger side is safer because a side impact at an intersection on the drivers side is more likely (pulling out into oncoming traffic with less wiggle room)

Elmo, I expect that you knew that.:gomer:

Behind the license plate is the most dangerous because it almost ensures a spill in a (more likely) rear end collision.

oddlycalm
12-08-09, 05:31 PM
Behind the license plate is the most dangerous because it almost ensures a spill in a (more likely) rear end collision.
Those low angle behind-the-license-plate fillers were a terrible design on every front. They also tended to get air bubbles and burp or backup splashing gas all over and on some cars you had to bounce the rear end up and down to get the tank full. :thumdown:

oc

Sean Malone
12-08-09, 05:33 PM
Those low angle behind-the-license-plate fillers were a terrible design on every front. They also tended to get air bubbles and burp or backup splashing gas all over and on some cars you had to bounce the rear end up and down to get the tank full. :thumdown:

oc

True...but the hinged license plate did a great job holding the hose in place while we went inside to buy beer. :)

datachicane
12-08-09, 05:56 PM

oc

Sounds like you had a bad vent tube on your fine vintage ride. None of my fleet of ancient Fords had similar issues (plenty of other problems, just not that particular one).

High Sided
12-08-09, 05:56 PM
i loved my 75 monte carlo with the rear gas inlet and the ever so comfortable swiveling Strato bucket seats, great first car.

my 99 rav4 has no arrow next to the pump, left side.

oddlycalm
12-08-09, 06:15 PM
Sounds like you had a bad vent tube on your fine vintage ride.
Actually, it was my youthful gas station work experience talking. :gomer: It wasn't an issue on every model, and the smaller Fords were fine, but many of the larger Ford/Lincoln/Mercury and many GM and Chrysler models did it. On certain year and model land yachts it was virtually guaranteed and invariably the owner didn't want to pay for the spilled gas or bitched because the gas gauge didn't make it to full. It didn't take getting drenched from the knees down many times to learn the "stand to the side and lean in with a hand on the trunk" technique when coaxing in the last gallon.

oc

Napoleon
12-08-09, 06:20 PM
True...but the hinged license plate did a great job holding the hose in place while we went inside to buy beer. :)

Ah, the good old days.

Don Quixote
12-08-09, 06:38 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Guilty, with my '65 Buick Wildcat "luxury sportscar".

opinionated ow
12-08-09, 07:11 PM
Just try pumping your own gas in NJ - where self-service stations are illegal.

This is the look you get from the attendant: :saywhat:

You have to literally go beyond the back of Bourke to find anyone doing that in this country in 2009...Does that law exist solely to create revenue from foreigner fines?