PDA

View Full Version : Home theater

WickerBill
12-05-09, 09:32 AM
Well, I decided to actually utilize the projector that was left installed in the ceiling of my home when I bought it last summer, move the Sony SXRD off to the side, buy some home theater gear, and watch Texas and the NFL this weekend with a little bit better setup. I wanted to hear a little bit of surround sound and watch a large screen in my own home before I die.

:eek:

Onkyo HT-RC160
JBL center, left/right, and surrounds
Sony sub (also left with house)
Panasonic AE-900U projector

Within 30 minutes of receipt of the Onkyo, I was watching 127" of HD goodness with some massive sound. Home theater, indeed. What on earth possessed me to wait this long to do this? It is incredible! Why didn't any of you with home theaters ridicule me until I got one?

Forza 3 on 127" and Dolby Digital: :eek::eek:

So, for those of you who enjoy sports or console gaming, and you don't have a surround sound setup... do yourself a favor. It's amazing.

Sean Malone
12-05-09, 12:10 PM
Well, I decided to actually utilize the projector that was left installed in the ceiling of my home when I bought it last summer, move the Sony SXRD off to the side, buy some home theater gear, and watch Texas and the NFL this weekend with a little bit better setup. I wanted to hear a little bit of surround sound and watch a large screen in my own home before I die.

:eek:

Onkyo HT-RC160
JBL center, left/right, and surrounds
Sony sub (also left with house)
Panasonic AE-900U projector

Within 30 minutes of receipt of the Onkyo, I was watching 127" of HD goodness with some massive sound. Home theater, indeed. What on earth possessed me to wait this long to do this? It is incredible! Why didn't any of you with home theaters ridicule me until I got one?

Forza 3 on 127" and Dolby Digital: :eek::eek:

So, for those of you who enjoy sports or console gaming, and you don't have a surround sound setup... do yourself a favor. It's amazing.

Good job! I frequently talk home theater with friends/family and everyone wants to talk tv's. I emphatically tell them that they ain't heard nothun til they get surround sound, with a subwoofer and it doesn't have to break the bank either. I'm always surprised when I see people spend big bucks on new HDTV's and the only sound they have is through the crappy built in pizzo's.

oddlycalm
12-05-09, 04:33 PM
Congratulations WB, glad you're enjoying it. :thumbup:

I frequently talk home theater with friends/family and everyone wants to talk tv's. I emphatically tell them that they ain't heard nothun til they get surround sound, with a subwoofer and it doesn't have to break the bank either. I'm always surprised when I see people spend big bucks on new HDTV's and the only sound they have is through the crappy built in pizzo's.

I gave up telling people about HT back in the early 90's because there is no way to convey the experience with words. Same thing with widescreen, DVR's, etc. You're right, it doesn't have to be silly expensive. I used my original Denon 5ch amp and KEF speakers for 18yrs and they are still working fine in their new home. Not so much with the original 36" direct view set or the 52" widescreen that followed...:gomer:

oc

nrc
12-06-09, 01:01 AM
I enjoy using the home theater speakers for games that I don't care much about. For the teams I follow I skip back too often and all the sound just becomes annoying then.

But games... hmm. Zombie apocalypse in surround? It might be worth getting accustomed to console controllers...