PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Car Commercial

Sean Malone
12-04-09, 05:22 PM
'Chrysler has rolled out a new ad for the 300 sedan advocating the release of imprisoned Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, winner of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize for her work in promoting democracy in Myanmar (formerly Burma). Although she was elected prime minister, Myanmar’s military junta refused to surrender power and has kept Dr. Suu Kyi under house arrest for 14 of the last 20 years and refused to allow her to visit Stockholm to accept her Nobel Prize or allow her husband to be with her when he was dying of cancer.

The ad debuted yesterday on Bloomberg Television, Fox News and the Chrysler website. It shows black Chrysler 300s delivering Nobel Peace Prize winners to the 10th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates last month in Berlin. The last 300 to arrive, a white one, is empty, symbolizing the ongoing detention of Dr. Suu Kyi.' allpar.com

link (http://www.chrysler.com/en/)

I don't recall the medium being used in this fashion before. Anyone else?

oddlycalm
12-04-09, 06:09 PM
I don't recall the medium being used in this fashion before. Anyone else?
Not ever by a US automaker that I can recall. Even more interesting is that they aimed it at the 300 demographic.

oc

extramundane
12-04-09, 06:16 PM
Apparently Chrysler's new Italian ad agency recycled their own year-old ad (http://adage.com/article?article_id=140855) which features, but wasn't technically for, Lancia.

L7UuUHntmEA

datachicane
12-04-09, 07:32 PM
Interesting, but not exactly controversial. Supporters of Myanmar are harder to find than backers of NAMBLA. The only folks on the planet who conceivably would be offended will never, ever have a chance to see or hear about the ad anyway...

Playin' it safe while looking edgy.
Call me when they make an ad about Leonard Peltier. :gomer:

STD
12-04-09, 09:07 PM
There is a demographic for the 300? Who would have known. :D

oddlycalm
12-05-09, 05:32 AM
Interesting, but not exactly controversial
Obvious you didn't grow up in the Great Lakes region. The simple act of having a social message in a car ad is enough to sour a considerable number of land barge contingent as they glide over the expansion joints of life to the distant slap of the radials and "easy listening" music. Even a non-controversial one.

oc

Napoleon
12-05-09, 07:06 AM
. . .over the expansion joints of life . . .

:rofl:

Sean Malone
12-05-09, 11:45 AM
There is a demographic for the 300? Who would have known. :D

Orlando McBillionaires. A nice complement to their wives Esclades with 22" rims.

datachicane
12-05-09, 01:41 PM
Obvious you didn't grow up in the Great Lakes region. The simple act of having a social message in a car ad is enough to sour a considerable number of land barge contingent as they glide over the expansion joints of life to the distant slap of the radials and "easy listening" music. Even a non-controversial one.

oc

Yeah, but those folks are likely to think that Myanmar and Aung San Suu Kyi are Pokemon characters, so it gets a pass either way. :gomer:

oddlycalm
12-06-09, 05:06 AM
Yeah, but those folks are likely to think that Myanmar and Aung San Suu Kyi are Pokemon characters, so it gets a pass either way. :gomer:
True, but they also have no idea what Pokemon is. :laugh:

oc

Napoleon
12-06-09, 06:55 AM
What's Pokemon?

datachicane
12-06-09, 04:16 PM
They're pogs.
:gomer:

TKGAngel
12-06-09, 04:44 PM
The Ad Age comments have gotten more entertaining since I first read the article Friday at work. The GM/Chrysler ad follies are almost a daily presence in Ad Age.