PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Joe's on the prowl!

Ankf00
12-03-09, 05:44 PM
Watch out!

http://www.shaggybevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53284

About 20 Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies and detention officers failed to show for work at the downtown Phoenix Superior Court Wednesday morning, disrupting an untold number of proceedings.

The courthouse was further thrown into disarray about 10 a.m. when a bomb threat was called in by someone who claimed to be disgruntled with the Maricopa County Public Defender's Office, a sheriff's spokesman said.

About 15 minutes later, court authorities evacuated the building. An estimated 200 people were waiting out the evacuation at a plaza across the street from the court buildings.

A representative for the Maricopa County Association of Detention Officers, John Solano, said the high absenteeism was not a coordinated act of solidarity for detention officer Adam Stoddard, who turned himself Tuesday night in to serve a sentence for contempt. That sentence stemmed from an incident in which Stoddard removed documents from a defense attorney's during a defendant's sentencing hearing.

Solano said a number of sheriff's personnel have been out sick of late.

Solano and other detention officers refused to answer any questions about the "brownout" at a Tuesday afternoon press conference where more than 150 deputies and detention officers gathered outside the courthouse and reiterated their support of Stoddard.

Deputy Sean Pearce, a representative from the Deputies Law Enforcement Association, thought the high number of absences Wednesday showed how sheriff's personnel felt about Stoddard's situation. "I think it sends out a message that this officer has integrity…Why should he apologize for doing his job?" Pearce asked.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he had no indication that the sick-leave in the courts was related to Stoddard's situation.

"I do have a political prisoner in jail who happens to be my Detention Officer," Arpaio added.

:rofl:

http://reason.com/blog/2009/11/03/welcome-to-marikafka-county-ar

As defense attorney Joanne Cuccia discusses her client's sentencing hearing with the judge, Maricopa County Sheriff's Department detention officer Adam Stoddard walks up behind her, and begins sifting through one of her files, which she has placed on the defense table. Remarkably, Stoddard then removes a document from the file and hands it off to another deputy, who then leaves the courtroom with it. They don't even bother to inform Cuccia, who has her back turned the entire time. The judge appears to have missed the incident as well.

Cuccia was justifiably upset, and requested a hearing. That hearing was last week. According to freelance journalist Nick Martin, who writes at the Heat City blog, Stoddard's story changed several times over the course of the hearing. His main defense was apparently that he spotted "keywords" on the document that made him think it contained threats to the courtroom. The problem with that story is that if you watch the video, he swiped the document from the middle of the file. It wasn't lying in open view. Which leaves open the question of why, in open court, he went snooping through a defense attorney's file in the first place.

When last we left the standoff in Maricopa County, Arizona, Superior Court Judge Gary Donahoe had given Dep. Adam Stoddard a deadline by which to apologize for swiping documents from a defense attorney's file in open court last month. Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio vowed that Stoddard would not apologize. Stoddard then called a press conference Monday night in which he essentially thumbed his nose at Donahoe and continued to defend his breach of attorney-client privilege.

And since then? Yes, it's gotten even crazier.

* The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office announced on Tuesday that Stoddard would surrender to jail ahead of his midnight deadline to aplogize. But when Stoddard showed up, the jail refused to book him, citing a "clerical error." Stoddard insisted on spending the night in jail anyway.
* Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced he has filed a federal lawsuit against the county and its judges, alleging a "widespread conspiracy" against Arpaio and his officers. Arpaio remarkably and apparently with no self-awareness whatsoever called the county a "good ole boys network," and commented that he had "never seen these kinds of things occur in the justice system." Arpaio also called Donahoe's contempt finding against Stoddard a "vendetta," and said, "For political reasons, [Stoddard's] been thrown to the wolves."
* Yesterday, the day after Stoddard spent a night in jail, 19 sheriff's deputies scheduled to work security at the courthouse called in sick, throwing the day's court proceedings into disarray. The building also had to be evacuated after a phone-in bomb threat.
* As crowds returned after the bomb threat was cleared, the law enforcement unions commenced with a conveniently-timed rally in front of the courthouse, calling Stoddard a "victim" and demanding that he be released from jail.

Once again, here's video of the "victimized" deputy's actions that caused all of this:

MORE: Via the comments, Stoddard's fellow officers will be holding nightly candlelight vigils for their comrade—who, by the way, is being paid while he's in jail. Actually, as the linked New Times article explains, it's not even a certainty that Stoddard is actually in jail. No one is saying where he's being held, and there's apparently no record of him being booked.

the awesomeness in question
UIoyJ-LyAaE

Sean Malone
12-03-09, 06:05 PM
:eek:

oddlycalm
12-03-09, 07:03 PM
As long as the over 65 crowd keeps buying his scare tactics and electing him nothing is going the change short of federal intervention. Fixing it is going to require removal of Arpaio and essentially firing the entire department and jail staff. The long it goes on the bigger the blowup will be.

oc

racermike
12-03-09, 07:08 PM
That judge was clueless, and SHOULD have seen what was going on, and upon finding out, should have suspended everything going on immediately.

Instead, she kept pressuring the defense attorney to calm down.

The Judge should also be held in contempt of court.

What a mess the police/courts are down there.

Gnam
12-03-09, 07:14 PM
Visit from the Feds or The Rock in 3...2...1...

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8310/walkingtall.jpg

Has the deputy used the "I didn't know I couldn't do that." defense yet. :laugh:

Napoleon
12-03-09, 07:19 PM
That entire sheriff's department is nothing but a bunch of criminals, and have been for years.

grungex
12-03-09, 09:13 PM
And people wonder why I hate cops...

Seriously, Arpaio perfectly represents all that is wrong with law enforcement in this country.

emjaya
12-03-09, 10:23 PM
His main defense was apparently that he spotted "keywords" on the document that made him think it contained threats to the courtroom. The problem with that story is that if you watch the video, he swiped the document from the middle of the file. It wasn't lying in open view.

Weird. He's just standing there and then what, he decides to wander over and start reading from her files.

Watching that clip, it was a deliberate move to go over.

STD
12-03-09, 10:35 PM
And people wonder why I hate cops...

Seriously, Arpaio perfectly represents all that is wrong with law enforcement in this country.

Couldn't say it better.

Indy
12-04-09, 09:00 AM
Arpaio remarkably and apparently with no self-awareness whatsoever called the county a "good ole boys network," and commented that he had "never seen these kinds of things occur in the justice system."

I am calling it first. Palin/Arpaio in 2012. :laugh:

extramundane
12-04-09, 09:31 AM

I dunno. Lou Dobbs thinks "Arpaio" sounds awfully foreign. Have we checked his papers?

Sean Malone
12-04-09, 11:33 AM

I doubt it. Palin has history opposing law enforcement. :\

oddlycalm
12-21-09, 06:27 PM
Warlord Joe fights back (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dawn-teo/sheriff-arpaio-incites-wi_b_397894.html)

Arpaio and Thomas have not been deterred by the growing clamor of criticism within the local community or the legal community. Last weekend, Arpaio's deputies showed up at the homes of low- and mid-level county and court employees to interrogate them. Tuesday, they showed up at the homes of Superior Court judges' assistants, which one judge characterized as "pure intimidation."

Judges up on criminal charges for disagreeing with Sheriff Joe, attorneys demonstrating on the courthouse steps, the states largest newspaper calling for his removal and the state elected officials sitting on their hands. This is going to get really ugly before it's over.

oc