PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero v. Rock Band

Winston Wolfe
11-27-09, 10:38 PM
since OC is always a great place to get opinions on such matters, I thought I'd ask to see which is the most preferable option when it comes to GH or RB, which I am considering for the kids (and me) for a gift this year.

My son, who is nine (ten in March) and has taken a liking to Guitar Hero that we have played in Dave & Busters or Boomers - and one of his lil' buddies has the home version. However, my 16 y.o. nephew has Rock Band and my son has played it before, but the nephew insists that RB is better, easier to play, etc.

For me, I'd rather get RB for the Beatles options, but its not really about me then, is it ??? - regardless, I'd like to hear from those who are more knowledgeable on the subject than me, or from those who have one or both.
Thanks in advance !

WickerBill
11-28-09, 12:20 AM
The originators of the idea and Guitar Hero series have moved on and are making Rock Band now, if that tells you anything. It appears the innovation is coming through Rock Band and GH is more of a follower in the space -- the opposite of two years ago. Either way, Rock Band is significantly ahead in the downloadable content space (DLC) if you're hooked to the internet. I also personally feel the peripherals are far better for Rock Band, although at least the newer guitars from both series will work with either game now.

Depending on your console, I'd suggest buying a Rock Band bundle and then maybe, down the line, buying a Guitar Hero disc, used from Gamestop or someplace, and using your RB guitars on it.

/owner of both

JLMannin
12-02-09, 09:12 PM
Find out which game is preferred by hard-core PS3 users, then get the other one. :D

Gnam
12-02-09, 09:46 PM
...but its not really about me then, is it ???
Buy what you like, let the kid play with it when you're done. ;)

"Let me show you how it works."

datachicane
12-02-09, 10:44 PM
Meh.
Put the same time and energy into learning to play an actual rather than a virtual instrument, and you'll have something to show for your effort beyond a high score that'll be meaningless in five years. Honestly, I just don't get these.