PDA

View Full Version : V8 Supercars on Fox/Speed

emjaya
11-25-09, 09:12 AM
V8 Supercars Australia, in association with FOX Sports USA, today (Wednesday) announced an exciting new partnership for the next three seasons where SPEED, a member of the FOX Cable Networks with more than 79 million subscribers in North America, will televise the Series to all North American subscribers the weekend after each event.

“We are delighted to announce that the coverage will commence with next week’s Sydney Telstra 500 being shown on SPEED over the weekend of December 12 and 13 in North America as a taste of what North American fans can view all of next season.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/hero_news/november_2009/v8_supercars_massive_us_coup/

“V8 Supercars is one of the most exciting forms of auto racing in the world today,” FOX Sports Chairman, David Hill, said.

Yes, that's because most motor racing today is crap, compared to in the past.

He believes the category will warm to the hearts of Americans who have made NASCAR the second biggest sport in the US.

Long Beach have a support slot open at all?

opinionated ow
11-25-09, 09:26 AM
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/hero_news/november_2009/v8_supercars_massive_us_coup/

Yes, that's because most motor racing today is crap, compared to in the past.

Most motorsport might be crap, but just about all of it craps all over aussie taxi racing :shakehead

Andrew Longman
11-25-09, 10:19 AM
Cool.

Now all we need is BTCS.

How is it that Speed couldn't find one more NASCAR show to put on?

extramundane
11-25-09, 11:46 AM
How is it that Speed couldn't find one more NASCAR show to put on?

Oh, just wait. I'm sure it'll be regularly bumped in favor of reruns of practice and in-depth bios of backup jackmen.

cameraman
11-25-09, 03:18 PM
Just wait for the other shoe to drop. Speed hasn't signed with F1 yet.

NismoZ
11-25-09, 04:25 PM
Despite local prejudices ;) I for one am happy with that announcement. I watch the NASCRAP road races and would love to see a higher level GT/Trans Am type series here but until then, 1 week tape delays of the V-8s are better than winter reruns. I see the SCCA has announced 5 of the 10 race Trans Am schedule for '010. Any chance of a Mustang, Challenger, Camaro rivalry to liven things up? Nice if they'd schedule one within about 600 miles of my house, too!:irked:

SteveH
11-25-09, 04:43 PM
Just wait for the other shoe to drop. Speed hasn't signed with F1 yet.

There's only one reason I pay extra to get Speed. Wouldn't hurt me to see F1 end up elsewhere.

emjaya
11-25-09, 07:26 PM
Despite local prejudices ;) I for one am happy with that announcement. I watch the NASCRAP road races and would love to see a higher level GT/Trans Am type series here but until then, 1 week tape delays of the V-8s are better than winter reruns. I see the SCCA has announced 5 of the 10 race Trans Am schedule for '010. Any chance of a Mustang, Challenger, Camaro rivalry to liven things up? Nice if they'd schedule one within about 600 miles of my house, too!:irked:

Don't get me wrong, I like the racing and the cars look great.

It's the governing body and their NASCARafication of the series together with an inept race control and a scorched earth race policy to which I object.

NismoZ
11-25-09, 07:59 PM
I understand, I can ignore most of that and just enjoy the visual appeal. Plus, I know the drivers by name only and some of them are just COOL! Garth Tander. Jason Bargwanna. Jack Daniels Racing.:thumbup: DoDo Racing Team.:rofl: Barbagallo Raceway! Jamie Whincup and good ol' Mt. Panarama! I think I'll go to YouTube now and punch up Tom Walkinshaw, Jaguar.:)

mueber
11-27-09, 06:10 PM
Auto racing? On SPEED? How ever are they going to cram it in there with all the infomercials, NASCAR talk shows, and "reality" programs?

I may have to sign up for cable again if this is the start of a trend.

opinionated ow
11-27-09, 10:40 PM
It's the governing body and their NASCARafication of the series together with an inept race control and a scorched earth race policy to which I object.

You're dead right, although the insistence on street circuit gives me the poos too. The QLD and Federal Government were going to build a real circuit in Townsville but bloody Tony Cochrane (FTC) convinced them to build a street circuit!

We're wasting 100 million in NSW on a street circuit when the government owns Eastern Creek! If they spent 1/4 of that money on EC they'd be able to attract any series bar F1 and if they spent half of it, they could probbly get the Grand Prix too. :shakehead

G.
11-28-09, 03:04 PM
AWESOME!

We can get a new(-ish) race series on Speed! That's great for us. Now we can watch and learn (re-)learn about the V8's, then bitch about them, too!

:thumbup:

miatanut
11-28-09, 03:53 PM
A series based on road-going unibodies that races at places like Bathurst, VS what we have in the US with tube frame cars going round, and round, and round, and.... I know nothing about the politics, but I've enjoyed the racing when I've seen it.

mueber
11-29-09, 01:53 PM
I see the BTCC and DTM are back, good news. Does anyone see it on SPEED's schedule for December 12 and 13 as indicated in the article?

cameraman
11-29-09, 02:16 PM
The german touring cars and british touring cars are on saturday morning dec12.

NismoZ
11-29-09, 07:37 PM
Thats about the difference between a Sopwith Camel and a FW-190, isn't it?:p

Trevor Longman
11-30-09, 06:53 PM
Does anyone else find it suspicious that the official speed website makes no mention of it? Not even in the program schedule! If this whole ordeal is just a bunch of BS I'm going to be seriously pissed! :flame:

NismoZ
11-30-09, 07:52 PM
Well, Australia IS really far away and the official news may be coming by tramp steamer. (Looking for the Sydney track on Tracks Around The World now.:))...oops, not there, new layout. 10 turns...TWO to the right? Jason Richards says "lots of passing zones.":shakehead We'll see...I hope.

cameraman
12-01-09, 05:49 AM
Does anyone else find it suspicious that the official speed website makes no mention of it? Not even in the program schedule! If this whole ordeal is just a bunch of BS I'm going to be seriously pissed! :flame:

Ahhh ya need to work on those internet research skilz...

Saturday Dec 5 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From the Hockenheimring, Hockenheim, Germany. Race date May 17, 2009.

Saturday Dec 5 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From the Brands Hatch Circuit, Kent, England.

Saturday Dec 12 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From the EuroSpeedway Lausitz in Klettwitz, Germany. Race date May 31, 2009.

Saturday Dec 12 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From from the Thruxton Circuit, Andover, England.

Sunday Dec 13 1:00PM ET Australian V8 Supercars
The Sydney Telstra 500 from Olympic Park in Australia.

Saturday Dec 19 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From the Norisring in Nuremberg, Germany. Race date June 28, 2009.

Saturday Dec 19 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From Donington Park, Derby, England.

Saturday Jan 2 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From Circuit Park Zandvoort in the Netherlands. Race date July 19, 2009.

Saturday Jan 2 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From Oulton Park, Chester, England.

NismoZ
12-01-09, 09:21 AM
Thanx:thumbup:

opinionated ow
12-01-09, 09:42 AM
I understand, I can ignore most of that and just enjoy the visual appeal. Plus, I know the drivers by name only and some of them are just COOL! Garth Tander. Jason Bargwanna. Jack Daniels Racing.:thumbup: DoDo Racing Team.:rofl: Barbagallo Raceway! Jamie Whincup and good ol' Mt. Panarama! I think I'll go to YouTube now and punch up Tom Walkinshaw, Jaguar.:)

Garth Tander is a top guy...had dinner with him (and others) the other night. His wife is also awesome-Leanne-she's my buddy too. Twice runner-up in Aussie F3. Would have won last year but the engine blew up. Don't know what the others are like.

BTW..Dodo is an ISP. Cheap and you'd never admit to using them!

TrueBrit
12-01-09, 12:08 PM
A series based on road-going unibodies that races at places like Bathurst, VS what we have in the US with tube frame cars going round, and round, and round, and.... I know nothing about the politics, but I've enjoyed the racing when I've seen it.

Me too...makes the winter a little bit more bearable...well that and the loonies in the BTCC...

Trevor Longman
12-01-09, 04:05 PM
Ahhh ya need to work on those internet research skilz...

Saturday Dec 5 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From the Hockenheimring, Hockenheim, Germany. Race date May 17, 2009.

Saturday Dec 5 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From the Brands Hatch Circuit, Kent, England.

Saturday Dec 12 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From the EuroSpeedway Lausitz in Klettwitz, Germany. Race date May 31, 2009.

Saturday Dec 12 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From from the Thruxton Circuit, Andover, England.

Sunday Dec 13 1:00PM ET Australian V8 Supercars
The Sydney Telstra 500 from Olympic Park in Australia.

Saturday Dec 19 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From the Norisring in Nuremberg, Germany. Race date June 28, 2009.

Saturday Dec 19 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From Donington Park, Derby, England.

Saturday Jan 2 12:00PM ET German Touring Cars
From Circuit Park Zandvoort in the Netherlands. Race date July 19, 2009.

Saturday Jan 2 1:00PM ET British Touring Car Championship
From Oulton Park, Chester, England.

Oh I didn't see that. They must have just updated the schedule because I had just checked the schedule yesterday morning. Glad to see they got a nice 2 hour block of TV time. :)

Steve99
12-02-09, 07:40 PM

Don't know about support series, but Long Beach needs to look for a decent feature race.

extramundane
12-02-09, 10:13 PM
Don't know about support series, but Long Beach needs to look for a decent feature race.

The Saturday sports car 'feature' ain't looking so hot either. At least when CCWS limped 17 cars around, they were all in the same class. :shakehead

NismoZ
12-05-09, 05:05 PM
No spoiler from me for the season finale but I'm OK with it. First back-to-back champ since Ambrose. I guess that's pretty good company.:thumbup:

pchall
12-05-09, 10:06 PM
Which do we need more at North American road courses?

This

http://www.flexfuelkit.com.au/content_images/2/V8%20supercar%20holden_commodore_vz_5.jpg

or this?

http://www.thegrid.co.uk/Gallery/Pit-Girl--SCSA.jpg

Cam
12-05-09, 10:14 PM
Both! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

NismoZ
12-05-09, 11:10 PM
Cool, out of focus...just like normal when I get that close!:gomer:

Gnam
12-06-09, 01:38 AM
Enjoyed the Hockenheim DTM race program. In one hour you get:
* driver tour of the track map
* qualifiying coverage
* 30 minutes of race action
* driver interviews
* final results

The rears of those cars look crazy with all those dive planes. Are those specifically banned from ALMS or Speed World GT competition?

NismoZ
12-06-09, 09:49 AM
I think Japan Super GT has even more! Or used to.

opinionated ow
12-06-09, 10:34 AM
Just FYI...Homebush street circuit is as crap as San Jose was...or Canberra, or Townsville...or Surfers without the scenery.

I can't understnad people...they'll fork out a fortune to sit on some metal and see nothing at Homebush yet when the V8s raced up the street at Eastern Creek (which the government owns) nobody showed. WTF is the go with that? It's such a complete waste of money too...$100 million when we've got no money! If they spent $10 million on Eastern Creek they could forget V8 Supercars and attract pretty much any international race the government wanted...

Cam
12-06-09, 11:09 AM
<nelson>NA HA</nelson>

Thats what you get for living in the broke state. :rofl:

Trevor Longman
12-06-09, 12:26 PM
Enjoyed the Hockenheim DTM race program. In one hour you get:
* driver tour of the track map
* qualifiying coverage
* 30 minutes of race action
* driver interviews
* final results

The rears of those cars look crazy with all those dive planes. Are those specifically banned from ALMS or Speed World GT competition?

Yea I haven't finished watching it yet but from what I've seen so far it seems pretty entertaining. But no where near as entertaining as the BTCC races they had on there right after the DTM race! Those guys are nuts and I don't even think they even have any stewards to moderate the race because from what I've seen just about anything goes! :D

An example of what went on... :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU

NismoZ
12-06-09, 01:19 PM
His wife was going to put him WHERE if he didn't win?:eek:

Andrew Longman
12-06-09, 09:55 PM
haha I didn't hear that when I first watched it! :rofl:

Gnam
12-21-09, 02:20 PM
Really enjoying these taped races. The DTM round at the Norisring was badass. :thumbup:

0iQxr3y6pMA