PDA

View Full Version : GM killed Saab. The bastards!

pchall
11-25-09, 07:02 AM
link
(http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ix5BjyxifvROy1w3XWkO8Q6qmHXQ)

China's Beijing Autos 'regrets' Koenigsegg decision to drop Saab bid

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (CP) – 2 hours ago

SHANGHAI, China — The Chinese automaker that had joined with Koenigsegg Automotive AB in bidding to buy Saab said Wednesday it regrets the Swedish luxury sports car maker's decision to drop the deal and will reconsider its own stance.

Beijing Automotive Industry Holdings had agreed to take a minority stake in Saab as part of the financing arrangements for the bid by a consortium led by Koenigsegg to buy the Swedish car unit of General Motors Co.

In a statement, Beijing Autos said the deal's collapse was "regrettable."

I knew there would be no good to come from GM and Ford scurrying around snapping up various car companies in their search for "premier" brands they were no longer capable of creating or maintaining themselves.

Andrew Longman
11-25-09, 10:23 AM
They killed Saab several years a go when they put Saab nameplates on a Cavalier.:shakehead

Shame. It was a great brand with true customer loyalty and GM never understood that.

I still think someone might buy them. They aren't asking for much money

extramundane
11-25-09, 11:56 AM
They killed Saab several years a go when they put Saab nameplates on a Cavalier.:shakehead

Shame. It was a great brand with true customer loyalty and GM never understood that.

I still think someone might buy them. They aren't asking for much money

Saab was officially dead in my eyes the day the 9-7x "Trollblazer" appeared. Although I'd buy that Saabaru in a heartbeat if I could find a decent used one.

Unless the Swedish gov't steps in, I'd say the only hope left for Saab is for another Chinese outfit to snatch it up. And I'm not sure if "hope" is the correct word in that case.

SteveH
11-25-09, 12:18 PM
Chicago Tribune

General Motors Co. will likely shut down its Saab division after a buyer for the struggling Swedish automaker backed out at the 11th hour.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-tc-biz-swap-1124-1125nov25,0,110351.story

JohnHKart
11-25-09, 02:35 PM
My coworker just killed his Saab a week ago, making a left turn. He said the Dodge Ram that hit it was killed too. (No puns intended). He's out looking for late model Golfs to replace it.

oddlycalm
11-25-09, 06:53 PM
I knew there would be no good to come from GM and Ford scurrying around snapping up various car companies in their search for "premier" brands they were no longer capable of creating or maintaining themselves.
Agreed, and it's a sorry waste. Bigger picture, the whole trading companies like baseball cards concept hasn't had that many shining moments unless you were an investment banker. GE has done better than most but it's almost the exception that proves the rule.

oc

swift
11-26-09, 12:18 AM

:confused:
Which Saab model/year was that? What you described sounds more like the "Cadillac" Cimmaron (http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658526,00.html). ;)