PDA

View Full Version : Old Cars...Old Trucks

Sean Malone
11-24-09, 10:36 AM
My Dad emailed these pictures to me yesterday, reminiscing about some of the cars he once had. What really stuck out to me is how fantastic the old tractor trailers are!

Sean Malone
11-24-09, 10:38 AM
and some more...

SteveH
11-24-09, 10:55 AM
very cool :thumbup:

datachicane
11-24-09, 11:29 AM
Hauler full of '53 Studes :cool: even if only one is a coupe.

Don Quixote
11-24-09, 11:44 AM
Is that a Hudson on that last photo? Looks something like the 1940 Hudson my dad had.

indyfan31
11-24-09, 12:22 PM
Love that "vent" on the Chevy truck, my mom's DeSoto had the same one.
Even the trailers themselves were stylish.

dando
11-24-09, 12:26 PM
Is that a Hudson on that last photo? Looks something like the 1940 Hudson my dad had.

Having just watched Cars like three times over the past couple of weeks :saywhat: it looks like a Hudson.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
11-24-09, 04:12 PM
Way cool. Back in the day most of those trucks would have been running gasoline engines. Imagine what it would cost to run one of those today. :eek:

oc

cameraman
11-24-09, 07:10 PM
Can you imagine how slow those gas powered trucks must have been laden with 11,000 lbs of Studebaker?

miatanut
11-24-09, 07:27 PM
Can you imagine how slow those gas powered trucks must have been laden with 11,000 lbs of Studebaker?

My grandfather drove a gasoline tank truck in Kansas and Oklahoma during the Depression. There was one place where the road went down to a creek and back up and he needed a running start down the hill to avoid crawling up the other side and one time got busted by a cop at the bridge waiting for people doing that. Climbing away from the ticket stop up the hill was an ordeal.

indyfan31
11-24-09, 08:02 PM

is the truck towing them a Studebaker too? It kind of looks like the grille of the pickup they made.

Napoleon
11-24-09, 08:14 PM
is the truck towing them a Studebaker too? It kind of looks like the grille of the pickup they made.

I know Studebaker made trucks because a huge part of the war material the US gave to the USSR during WWII was in the form of Studebaker trucks. They even used them as a rocket platform.

What do you know, found this picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/BM-13_RB.jpg

datachicane
11-24-09, 08:46 PM

Yep. Most of those haulers look like the same make as the cars. I think they even took some liberties with the front end of that GMC hauling the Oldsmobiles...

oddlycalm
11-25-09, 07:13 PM
Yes, definitely. There were still some used on farms when I was living in Idaho in the 70's. That grill made them easy to spot.

IMO the holy grail of cool for old pickups are the Studebackers.

oc