PDA

View Full Version : Schumi Back?

TedN
11-18-09, 07:49 AM
Rumours are flying around Europe faster than the supersonic Concorde jet that seven-time F-1 champion Michael Schumacher will be back in the series in 2010.

What sparked the talk was an article in the Spanish newspaper Diario AS that the new two-year deal Schumacher inked with Ferrari back in September is only about his services in developing a customer road car for the famed Italian carmaker. According to the story, Schumacher will give up his job as an adviser with the Ferrari F-1 team.

And when the new Mercedes-Benz team -- what was the 2009 championship Brawn GP squad -- comes on to the scene next year, Mercedes racing boss Norbert Haug has promised a huge surprise driver announcement.

So fans have started to put two and two together and have come up with Schumacher as the logical choice as the said surprise to make it -- with countryman Nico Roseberg -- an all-German super team next season.

Link (http://http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/dean_mcnulty/2009/11/18/11785566-sun.html)

Ted

Elmo T
11-18-09, 08:56 AM
My guess would be Hakkinen. It seemed he was making appearances at the last few races.

opinionated ow
11-18-09, 09:05 AM
My guess would be Hakkinen. It seemed he was making appearances at the last few races.

That would be the most awesome thing...EVER

emjaya
11-18-09, 09:25 AM

I don't think Hakkinen would fit in a F1 car anymore. :D

I read somewhere it was Heidfeld and Rosberg in at Brawn/Mercedes. Shumi is probably going to be the team fluffer.

opinionated ow
11-18-09, 09:54 AM

I read somewhere it was Heidfeld and Rosberg in at Brawn/Mercedes. Shumi is probably going to be the team fluffer.

Heidfeld wouldn't be a surprise...I trust Haug when he says surprise. My guess is Sutil bought out of his Force India contract.

In other news, Button has signed for McLaren

Elmo T
11-18-09, 10:34 AM
Neither Heidfield nor Sutil require sock tethers. ;)

Maybe the report indicates the wrong Schumacher? :D

NismoZ
11-18-09, 11:07 AM
Danica!!:eek:

Sean Malone
11-18-09, 11:10 AM
JV.

SteveH
11-18-09, 11:15 AM

Boy howdy, he was at one of the last races and looked all puffy.

:laugh:

oddlycalm
11-18-09, 05:26 PM
In other news, Button has signed for McLaren
Button should prepare to get pwned. Probably not the best career choice but then Button is a bad career choice savant. He could have handled Rosberg at Brawn/Benz I imagine but Hamilton at McLaren 3yrs in not so much.

oc

JohnHKart
11-18-09, 05:35 PM
Schumacher is appearing in a Kart race in Vegas this weekend. Why the heck would he come all the way out here to do that if something else wasn't on the agenda? This is the thought I posed to my fellow kart racer last night when we went out for a night of driving. Something's up.

JH

http://www.formula1blog.com/2009/11/09/schumacher-to-race-in-vegas/

dando
11-18-09, 05:50 PM
I think TB just popped a vein. :gomer:

-Kevin

SteveH
11-18-09, 06:11 PM
Will the Vegas kart race be televised?

NismoZ
11-18-09, 10:56 PM
Probably VS...triple the League viewers!:D

SteveH
11-19-09, 12:24 AM
^ was waiting for that. ;) :D

chop456
11-19-09, 04:19 AM
Boy howdy, he was at one of the last races and looked all puffy.

If I had a wife that looked like she'd strangle me at the drop of a hat, I'd jump in a barrel of pork rinds, too. Maybe even if I didn't. :D

pchall
11-19-09, 08:44 AM
Schumacher might be getting old and nostalgic. Or the essential kraut in him needs to win GPs and a WDC in a Silver Arrow.

Easy
11-19-09, 02:36 PM
If I had a wife that looked like she'd strangle me at the drop of a hat, I'd jump in a barrel of pork rinds, too. Maybe even if I didn't. :D

I agree but he and Erja did split a couple years back. I think he grew tired of keeping the models and actresses a secret.:eek:

SteveH
11-19-09, 11:57 PM
Will the Vegas kart race be televised?

Sort of

http://www.ekartingnews.com/live/

Sean Malone
11-20-09, 03:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8368107.stm

JohnHKart
11-20-09, 05:20 PM
http://www.superkartsusa.com/supernationals/results/855-supernationals-xiii-mylaps-results.html?mylaps=type,run,runid,1370927

Damn I am gigging this weekend or I'd be there. I never got to see Michael drive. In 99 I went to the Euro GP at the Nurburgring that Johnny Herbert won but Michael was out with the broken leg. :(

John

TrueBrit
11-20-09, 05:43 PM
Schumacher might be getting old and nostalgic. Or the essential kraut in him needs to win GPs and a WDC in a Silver Arrow.

Nah, they only get all "global domination" once every 25 years or so...at least last century anyway...

TrueBrit
11-20-09, 05:44 PM
Shumi is probably going to be the team fluffer.

Giving Rubens a break then?:D

NismoZ
12-18-09, 10:31 PM
Schumacher himself saying his return to F-1 with Mercedes is now a "very, very, very strong possibility." I guess thats stronger than a very or a very, very strong possibility.

Sean Malone
12-18-09, 10:48 PM
Schumacher himself saying his return to F-1 with Mercedes is now a "very, very, very strong possibility." I guess thats stronger than a very or a very, very strong possibility.

Why...shumey...why? :confused:

NismoZ
12-19-09, 11:10 AM
Michael Jordan Syndrome. Gym rat, track rat. Same thing. Brett Favre, Surgar Ray Leonard/Ali, Mario etc. (they're ALL fighters in a way) Only thing is, this kind of comback in racing often has had serious physical not just emotional consequences. I hate to think about those. Hope he has fun, is entertaining and even somewhat successful. Maybe this is what the FIA had in mind when they asked for ideas to improve F-1? I'll wager we hear a lot more from True Brit if this actually comes to pass!:D

miatanut
12-19-09, 03:43 PM
I'm looking forward to him proving the skeptics wrong when he finishes second in the championship even if the car belongs several places lower. :D

Indy
12-19-09, 05:22 PM
That's funny, I am looking forward to his humiliation. :laugh:

Cam
12-19-09, 07:20 PM
That's funny, I am looking forward to his humiliation. :laugh:

Absolutely. :thumbup:

miatanut
12-19-09, 07:35 PM
Right. Three years off and he won't be able to keep up with Grosjean. :rofl:

NismoZ
12-19-09, 10:24 PM
Nah, there's ONE bet I'd take!:)

Rogue Leader
12-21-09, 01:09 PM
I honestly hope he doesn't suck... But anyone who thinks hes gonna do more than maybe luck himself into a race win somewhere along the line is fooling themself.

JohnHKart
12-22-09, 08:52 PM
Speed Channel, Daily Mail, Das Bild, AP and the BBC are all now saying it's officially on. Funny enough, Autosport and F1 Racing Live have nothing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1237903/Michael-Schumacher-returns-German-legend-roars-F1-7m-Mercedes-deal.html

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-schumacher-signs-with-mercedes/

chop456
12-23-09, 02:33 AM
BBC Radio says it's done, too. 1-yr @ $10M.

[Edit] So much for that.

The seven-time champion has signed a three-year deal

Rogue Leader
12-23-09, 08:40 AM
Its on F1.com I'd say its definitely a done deal:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/12/10301.html

JohnHKart
12-23-09, 12:40 PM
Figured when I woke up today it would be on for sure. Thank god. Friends and I are already looking at the Canada GP- only 5 hr flight from LAX. That's like a half hour to a Euro trip veteran like me.

JH

oddlycalm
12-23-09, 03:36 PM
Something to remember in all this is that Ross Brawn made Button WDC and Woobens look like a bloody genius in his car. I wondered all season what it would have been like with Alonso, Kimi or Schumie in that Brawn.

oc

JohnHKart
12-23-09, 04:53 PM
oh my god from what you propose it would have been 2000-2004 all over again! :D

miatanut
12-23-09, 06:54 PM
Something to remember in all this is that Ross Brawn made Button WDC and Woobens look like a bloody genius in his car. I wondered all season what it would have been like with Alonso, Kimi or Schumie in that Brawn.

oc

I have it on good authority that Schumi will be humiliated in the 2010 version of the car in which Woobens took third in the championship, despite funding from Mercedes.

Sean Malone
12-23-09, 06:56 PM

oc

Good point.

NismoZ
12-23-09, 09:47 PM
THE point.

Easy
12-23-09, 10:09 PM
I hated Schumi in the 90's but grew to be as much of a fan as I ever am for a specific driver. I gave in when I realized we were witness to a career that is unparalleled. That said I am fairly indifferent to his return.

Lou AlJabbar, M-Jeff (Jordan), etc.. make me doubt we will see anything close to the driver who could drop .5 secs/lap on demand when he was already fastest. However, Lauda came back and won another WDC but wasn't out as long I don't think. (UPDATE: wrong, Lauda was out for the same time or slightly longer)

Best case schadenfreude scenario for 2010... Schuey and Checques battling for the WDC a la 97. Or more likely Schuey lapping Checques.

/he might be fooling himself but JV isn't getting a ride.

Indy
12-23-09, 11:38 PM
I have it on good authority that Schumi will be humiliated in the 2010 version of the car in which Woobens took third in the championship, despite funding from Mercedes.

And don't you forget it. :gomer: