PDA

View Full Version : They have lost their damn minds...

cameraman
11-13-09, 01:35 PM
I just got an email from the fine folks at Miller Motor Sports Park hawking 2010 season tickets. Then I notice the date for the ALMS race, July 10-11 in the west desert of Utah:saywhat: It is a crap shoot but the high temps for that day could be anywhere from 85 to 105 but you can pretty much bank on the mid to upper 90s.

That track has zero shade, it is a lousy place to be a spectator when it is 90+

extramundane
11-13-09, 01:40 PM
The first ALMS Miller race was in July as well. I guess it's hard for series management to remember back that far with their heads so far up their collective asses.

pchall
11-13-09, 01:45 PM
I just got an email from the fine folks at Miller Motor Sports Park hawking 2010 season tickets. Then I notice the date for the ALMS race, July 10-11 in the west desert of Utah:saywhat: It is a crap shoot but the high temps for that day could be anywhere from 85 to 105 but you can pretty much bank on the mid to upper 90s.

That track has zero shade, it is a lousy place to be a spectator when it is 90+

Holy crap. I remember as a kid standing on the salt lake in the middle of summer with my dad and watching the heat waves rise off and turn the mountains in the distance into a shimmer. We were living outside of Rapid City, SD at the time and it was pretty common to go out a door and hit 102ยบ humid air like a curtain in front of you in the summer time. But nothing, just nothing compared to the impact of the heat during our visit to Deseret.

Gnam
11-13-09, 02:40 PM
ALMS also shifted their date at Laguna Seca from early October to late May.

I'll miss the race into darkenss.

Steve99
11-13-09, 03:23 PM
ALMS also shifted their date at Laguna Seca from early October to late May.

I'll miss the race into darkenss.

It's a six-hour race now, so maybe it will still be a race into darkness.

Regarding Miller, is there ever a good time to be a spectator there?

oddlycalm
11-13-09, 03:52 PM
Spring and fall there is plenty of reasonable weather. Mid-July to mid-August not so much. Stoopid to run it mid July.

There were years I blew off the ALMS race in Portland because of the heat and PIR has plenty of shade as race tracks go.

oc

miatanut
11-15-09, 06:34 PM
Wimp!
I drove down from Seattle to attend. They had little sprayers mounted to the backs of the grandstands for anybody who needed them.

On the other hand, I grew up in Sacramento, so I may still have a distorted perspective of what hot is. It's hot when you're riding your bike and it feels exactly the same as standing over an open oven door.

High Sided
11-16-09, 12:21 AM
I just got an email from the fine folks at Miller Motor Sports Park hawking 2010 season tickets.

was it a good deal???

cameraman
11-16-09, 06:18 AM
I don't remember the pricing. The World Superbike tickets are on sale,
Three-day reserved grandstand tickets are priced at $145 and include a paddock pass. Three-day general admission tickets are priced at $125 and also include a paddock pass. You would be an idiot not to drop the extra $20 for the seat in the shade.

The race is on Memorial Day, Monday May 31.

The Superbike event is the only well attended event on the calendar and they claim that they will be adding more events to the weekend to make it as big a draw as possible.

The clubhouse membership is $900/person a year which is a little rich for my blood.

oddlycalm
11-16-09, 06:38 PM
Wimp!
Yup, you got me, I'm a fair weather flyer at this point. If it's 105 in the shade I'm not going to be sitting out in the sun all day. I used to do it for the IMSA races, but that was then and it was IMSA....

oc

miatanut
11-16-09, 10:20 PM
Yup, you got me, I'm a fair weather flyer at this point. If it's 105 in the shade I'm not going to be sitting out in the sun all day. I used to do it for the IMSA races, but that was then and it was IMSA....

oc

Depends on which version of IMSA.

When they went to the open prototypes, it was a lot less enjoyable for me, and that hot year it was ALMS but there were a couple interesting closed prototypes in the field. There was a silver one that was drop dead gorgeous. I'd have to find what I did with that program to know what it was.

nissan gtp
11-17-09, 05:39 PM
The race will be "The Miller 125". What they don't tell you is that'll be the air temperature for race day. :flame:

cameraman
11-17-09, 08:58 PM
The race will be "The Miller 125". What they don't tell you is that'll be the air temperature for race day. :flame:

No, no, no, no, the race is the LHMDUGPPBTGALAH.

No lie.

Larry H. Miller Dealerships Utah Grand Prix presented by the Grand and Little America Hotels

opinionated ow
11-17-09, 09:37 PM
No, no, no, no, the race is the LHMDUGPPBTGALAH.

No lie.

Larry H. Miller Dealerships Utah Grand Prix presented by the Grand and Little America Hotels

I wonder if they realise that the race name ends in Galah...

cameraman
11-18-09, 12:41 AM
Probably not as galah doesn't mean anything in North American English:confused:

opinionated ow
11-18-09, 12:54 AM
Probably not as galah doesn't mean anything in North American English:confused:

Galah is a pink and grey cockatoo. And a term applied to idiots. Perfectly apt given the time of year for this race!

oddlycalm
11-19-09, 04:44 PM
Temperature aside, it's a great track for a sports car race. Big enough to let them really stretch their legs.

oc