PDA

View Full Version : It's on its way!

RaceGrrl
11-08-09, 10:44 PM
http://offcamber.net/images/map.jpg

Kiwifan
11-08-09, 11:00 PM
I know North America is always moving because of the Juan de Fuca plate but I'll be dead before you get down here to NZ. ;) How about I fly up to see you guys, maybe someone could shout me? Oh wait, wrong forum. :)

Take care and Grrl, I'm sure you have a reasonable explaination for the thread.

Rusty.

Mr. Toad
11-09-09, 12:08 AM
So what vessel is your new car on?

oddlycalm
11-09-09, 05:12 AM
Congratulations! Fun, tracking the progress isn't it?

oc

dando
11-09-09, 09:39 AM
A little early for Santa tracking isn't it? :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
11-09-09, 10:36 AM
I'm guessing the stretched mini?

oddlycalm
11-09-09, 04:51 PM
So what vessel is your new car on?
Maybe it's up to us to guess? I'm going with the Willenius boat Morning Calm.

oc

nissan gtp
11-09-09, 04:54 PM
new MINI on the way ? :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
11-09-09, 05:27 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Car_carrier_Integrity.jpg/800px-Car_carrier_Integrity.jpg

TrueBrit
11-09-09, 06:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Car_carrier_Integrity.jpg/800px-Car_carrier_Integrity.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Blimey! I hope you've got a bloody big garage....that thing won't fit on the driveway...

cameraman
11-09-09, 07:28 PM

Hope the car looks a damn-sight better than the ship:eek:

emjaya
11-09-09, 10:47 PM

You went for a diesel, then?

G.
11-09-09, 11:28 PM

2 stroke, no less.

cameraman
11-10-09, 12:44 AM

12,500 hp ought to get the groceries home:eek:

Boatdesigner
11-10-09, 12:51 AM
RORO's sure are ugly! I love the Tug labels, push here! People don't realize how powerful tugs are and how much damage they can do.

Michaelhatesfans
11-10-09, 01:09 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Blimey! I hope you've got a bloody big garage....that thing won't fit on the driveway...

I had a ****ing neighbor with one of those once.

nrc
11-10-09, 03:35 AM
Hope the car looks a damn-sight better than the ship:eek:

Come to think of it, it is kind a shaped like that. :D

nrc
11-12-09, 11:56 PM
Welcome to America! (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=charleston+harbor&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Charleston+Harbor&ll=32.785416,-79.924893&spn=0.003103,0.004147&t=h&z=18)

RaceGrrl
11-19-09, 06:30 PM
Alice- just off the truck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/mdcaldwell/linked%20pics/Alice.jpg

dando
11-19-09, 06:33 PM

:thumbup:

You're actually parking it near other cars? :eek: I remember when I first got my 328i back in '98 I didn't park it w/in 5 spaces of other cars. :gomer:

-Kevin

datachicane
11-19-09, 07:04 PM
I can't tell from the pic- is it a Clubman?

oddlycalm
11-19-09, 08:18 PM
Nice, hope you're having a ball with it RG. :thumbup: Great color and trim choices.

Couldn't resist a little then and now perspective, first cousin to the ARC Integrity...:)

http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/1975%20Oldsmobile%20Custom%20Cruiser_03_1.jpg

Sean Malone
11-19-09, 08:24 PM
Nice, hope you're having a ball with it RG. :thumbup: Great color and trim choices.

Couldn't resist a little then and now perspective, first cousin to the ARC Integrity...:)

http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/1975%20Oldsmobile%20Custom%20Cruiser_03_1.jpg

Is that a Vista Cruiser? Had lots of good times cruising in my friends in high school. It had a 455 big block and could smoke the rear tires with just a hint of power braking. :thumbup:

nissan gtp
11-19-09, 09:23 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/mdcaldwell/linked%20pics/Alice.jpg

very nice ! welcome to the MINI club !

is she a clubman ?

RaceGrrl
11-19-09, 11:19 PM
She is a he... and yes, it's a Cooper S Clubman.

I never park that close to other cars.... the pic was taken by the sales guy right after the car was taken off the truck.

Earlier today I was feeling sentimental about the end of the lease on the Mazdaspeed 6. I love that car... but when I drove this one home it felt just right. Now let's hope I don't get a ticket in the first two weeks of ownership with this one!

dando
11-19-09, 11:28 PM
I never park that close to other cars.... the pic was taken by the sales guy right after the car was taken off the truck.

I should have noticed that it looks like MAG in the background. :) I've invested a bit of $$$ and time there this past year on repairs. :irked:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-19-09, 11:30 PM
Alice is a he???? Like Alice Cooper? :)

RaceGrrl
11-20-09, 12:30 AM
Just like Alice Cooper. :cool:

nrc
11-20-09, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately this paint scheme was unavailable. :)

oddlycalm
11-20-09, 03:26 AM
Is that a Vista Cruiser?
Nope, it was the Custom Cruiser built on the 98 chassis, a good 2ft. longer than a Vista Cruiser as I recall.

Alice the Cooper S will be a lot more fun.

oc

Napoleon
11-20-09, 07:04 AM
Nice car.

By the way, how could you know what ship it was on?

Sean Malone
11-20-09, 10:41 AM
Lets see a pic of the two together!:thumbup:

RaceGrrl
11-20-09, 12:56 PM
That station wagon looks an awful lot like the car my parents had when I first got my license. Wrecked it a few months after... not a bit sad about it either. It felt like it floated down the road- a first cousin to the Integrity, indeed!

I'm not sure how Richard found out which ship my car was on. He might not want to reveal his secrets! He did manage to weasel a set of floor mats out of the dealership at no charge. :)

I'll try to get a pic of both cars this weekend.

chop456
11-22-09, 08:30 AM
Gorgeous car, Missy. Jealous here.

If they ever offer the diesel Clubman in the U.S, I'm in.

rosawendel
11-22-09, 10:07 AM
congrats.
i was interested in a clubman myself, but at the time, they were "sticker only" at the local dealer. did you guys have any room for negotiation?

nrc
11-26-09, 11:47 AM
congrats.
i was interested in a clubman myself, but at the time, they were "sticker only" at the local dealer. did you guys have any room for negotiation?

Most dealers are staying pretty strong on MSRP. Some are now negotiating on cars on the lot, especially left-overs. Few will negotiate on ordered cars. They're more likely to throw in accessories than cut prices.

Since we ordered and we didn't want to bid it out to Cincy or Cleveland all we got was floor mats. :\

nrc
11-26-09, 11:48 AM
Zonker dons a new plate to impress his new garage-mate.

dando
11-26-09, 12:04 PM
:thumbup:

-Kevin

WickerBill
11-26-09, 01:48 PM

That... is... awesome.

oddlycalm
11-26-09, 03:52 PM
Most dealers are staying pretty strong on MSRP. Some are now negotiating on cars on the lot, especially left-overs. Few will negotiate on ordered cars. They're more likely to throw in accessories than cut prices.
Yeah, about all you can say is the waiting lists are gone. That's a stark contrast to most other brands. Makes me laugh when the geniuses in Detroit claim they were just making the cars people wanted.

oc

TravelGal
11-26-09, 05:53 PM
Yeah, about all you can say is the waiting lists are gone. That's a stark contrast to most other brands. Makes me laugh when the geniuses in Detroit claim they were just making the cars people wanted.

oc

:) Yep. They were just making the cars they wanted people to want.

Love the plate, btw. Good double entendre for this joint and a car named after Zonker.

Sean Malone
11-27-09, 09:35 AM

Too cool!:thumbup:

opinionated ow
11-27-09, 09:41 AM
Meanwhile in a country far, far away....a white 1996 Daewoo Espero clicks over its 250,000th kilometre. I'm proud of my wheels ;)

nissan gtp
11-27-09, 10:29 AM

nice :thumbup:

miatanut
11-27-09, 03:54 PM

As in screaming yellow zonker?

When my first Miata got murdered there was a screaming yellow one in the market, but my insurance money hadn't come through by the time somebody bought it, so it was back to silver.

RaceGrrl
11-27-09, 06:18 PM
Pics of the going away party for the 6 and the welcome home party for Alice.

rosawendel
11-27-09, 06:43 PM
nice family portrait. dress them all in khakis and a white button-down and you'd have your christmas card this year.

nrc
11-27-09, 07:02 PM
As in screaming yellow zonker?

When my first Miata got murdered there was a screaming yellow one in the market, but my insurance money hadn't come through by the time somebody bought it, so it was back to silver.

Yes, snack food of the gods and nickname of my original signal yellow '78 Ford Fiesta - light as a feather and strong as an anvil.

I always wanted a yellow Miata but the timing has never worked out on the rare occasions that they've had the color available.

grungex
11-27-09, 07:21 PM
Great minds, and all that...

I've since changed plates, but this is what I had originally:

nrc
11-27-09, 09:23 PM

Very sweet (like the snack). I thought about some variation since Zonker was taken but decided to go with OC. As TG mentioned, it's more than a forum name it's a state of mind. :D

grungex
11-28-09, 12:57 AM
:D

I did get rather tired of people asking me what Zonker meant.

miatanut
11-28-09, 02:12 AM
Yes, snack food of the gods and nickname of my original signal yellow '78 Ford Fiesta - light as a feather and strong as an anvil.

I always wanted a yellow Miata but the timing has never worked out on the rare occasions that they've had the color available.

I was going to name the yellow Miata Screaming Yellow Zonker, but maybe naming it before I had it jinxed me. Since the first one died because the idiot evidently didn't see me, I figured there would be NO WAY they couldn't see me coming in that one! A color that would make you smile every time you walked to you car.

They lacked creativity.

opinionated ow
11-28-09, 05:18 AM
:D

What does it mean? :confused:

grungex
11-28-09, 12:50 PM
Fun food: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Yellow_Zonkers

miatanut
11-28-09, 03:44 PM
What does it mean? :confused:

North American thing.

Indy
11-29-09, 03:22 AM
I thought you meant this Zonker.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2451/zonker.jpg

TravelGal
11-29-09, 03:44 AM
I thought you meant this Zonker.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2451/zonker.jpg

LOL! Obviously, so did I. I don't remember if he screamed but his *hair* is yellow........ Really reaching for that one, eh?

Never was much into snack food but COMICS, that's serious business. :thumbup:

miatanut
11-29-09, 08:49 PM
Never was much into snack food but COMICS, that's serious business. :thumbup:

But you couldn't miss that box on the grocery shelves. The graphics. And the name. Perfect!

oddlycalm
01-23-10, 06:26 PM
So Missy, after a couple months of seat time how are you and Alice getting along? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts if you've got a moment.

oc

RaceGrrl
01-24-10, 04:50 AM
So far the car is great.

One thing that Richard and I both noticed about the Mini is that we have to be more vigilant on the freeway. It seems like the Mini tends to follow the trough in the pavement so it's really easy to drift off your line. I'm very happy with the power of the car and the improved gas mileage has been a plus. The Xenon headlights were the right choice, and I love the comfort entry- it was worth the extra $$. So far I haven't seen a Clubman in my color config, so I'm happy about that.

I've found I'm fiddling with the temperature more in the Mini I did in the 6. So far I'm either too hot or too cold and can't seem to get it just right. I've noticed too that the back part of my side windows get a little foggy even while running the defrost. I really like how the cargo area is arranged but it was tough getting all my stuff in the car for the event I worked recently. I ended up stacking some boxes in the boot and left the seats up and stacked boxes there. Putting the seats down took away some of the height I needed. It worked out, but it was like working a puzzle to get all the stuff in. At least I now know what my cargo capacity is. It also motivated me to try to sell a lot of stuff so I could consolidate boxes for the trip home to not have to re-work the puzzle!

Overall I'm very happy with Alice.

Motor on!

chop456
01-24-10, 07:42 AM
[jealous]

Just for kicks, try running the A/C on hot in defrost config next time you're fogged up.

Indy
01-24-10, 03:10 PM
What sort of mileage are you getting?

oddlycalm
01-24-10, 03:28 PM
Thanks for commenting, glad she's working out. I saw a new Clubman at the dealer while getting routine service and it looked like such a fun car I wondered how you were liking Alice. As many color combinations as there are I'm not surprised you haven't seen another one.

oc

dando
01-24-10, 04:27 PM
I've found I'm fiddling with the temperature more in the Mini I did in the 6. So far I'm either too hot or too cold and can't seem to get it just right.

Bimmers are notoriously bad with temp controls. My 328 has auto temp control, but it also has a vent control for hot or cold. Seems that their idea of temp control was to open or close the vent as needed. :saywhat: :irked: :shakehead

-Kevin

oddlycalm
01-24-10, 05:05 PM
Bimmers are notoriously bad with temp controls. My 328 has auto temp control, but it also has a vent control for hot or cold. Seems that their idea of temp control was to open or close the vent as needed. :saywhat: :irked: :shakehead
Agreed, the HVAC controls are historically the weakest element of their cars. The controls on the E36 drove us on occasional. On the E46 series they got better and I got along with the one on the M3, and now the 330. I never use the auto function on any car because they all tend to run the fan too much and engage the AC all the time. No idea about the iDrive controls on the E90.

oc

dando
01-24-10, 05:27 PM
Agreed, the HVAC controls are historically the weakest element of their cars. The controls on the E36 drove us on occasional. On the E46 series they got better and I got along with the one on the M3, and now the 330. I never use the auto function on any car because they all tend to run the fan too much and engage the AC all the time. No idea about the iDrive controls on the E90.

oc

It's always nice to feel the sensation of a blast of 30 degree air while cruising along with the temp set to 70. :saywhat: Which results in adjusting the vent to hot, which then results in being roasted w/in a few minutes. :mad: Even @ the 'neutral' setting it never is. :shakehead And yes, the fan motor makes noise occasionally on the 12 yo, 90K E36, but it still drives like a dream. :thumbup: Of course I can't do the 4-wheel drifts I used to do on the ride home with the girls in the car. :gomer:

A friend of ours is the HR head for BMW Financial, and she gets a new set of wheels every 5K, so I get to check out the the latest and greatest every few mos. The controls have improved over the past 2-3 gens, but the styling is just horrific :yuck:, and don't get me started on the iDrive debacle. :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
01-24-10, 09:03 PM
don't get me started on the iDrive debacle. :saywhat: :thumdown:
Yup, iDrive is the answer to a question nobody asked.

That's one of the things to like about the Mini IMO, they left off all the digital electronic hysteria, display screens and the Ginza-at-night dashboard light show loaded onto most current cars. They did the exact opposite and it shouts analog at you. I could live with smaller dials on the gauges but I don't mind that bit of whimsey.

oc

nissan gtp
01-24-10, 09:30 PM
Yup, iDrive is the answer to a question nobody asked.

That's one of the things to like about the Mini IMO, they left off all the digital electronic hysteria, display screens and the Ginza-at-night dashboard light show loaded onto most current cars. They did the exact opposite and it shouts analog at you. I could live with smaller dials on the gauges but I don't mind that bit of whimsey.

oc

No digital eye-candy, but the computer interface is somewhat inscrutable, and I'd characterize the controls as a triumph of appearance over function. The switchgear for instance, that returns to center instead of staying in multiple positions .... looks good, but doesn't work that as well. And the vents are arranged to look good, not to get the air where it belongs.
:quirky:

nrc
01-24-10, 09:33 PM
[jealous]

Just for kicks, try running the A/C on hot in defrost config next time you're fogged up.

I hadn't thought to suggest that because our Mazdas did it automatically. I thought it was pretty common these days.