PDA

View Full Version : 10 years on as well, Walter Payton

devilmaster
11-03-09, 12:55 AM
I was looking through the copy of inside track magazine and came across something I totally forgot....

Former NFL great and CART team owner Walter Payton died 1 day after Greg Moores accident....

:(

SteveH
11-03-09, 01:24 AM
The Bears had a half time ceremony honoring him yesterday.

That was a very sad time. With Walter, you knew it was about to happen. But to have it happen the day after Greg's accident...........

Fio1
11-03-09, 01:06 PM
Oh ya, I do remember that. Too bad Coyne don't run #34 in his honor. If I remember correctly he did some driving as well; Sport 2000 or American City Racing League or something like that, right?

pchall
11-03-09, 01:35 PM
Oh ya, I do remember that. Too bad Coyne don't run #34 in his honor. If I remember correctly he did some driving as well; Sport 2000 or American City Racing League or something like that, right?

I remember Payton racing in either IMSA GTO or SCCA Trans Am at the peak of his driving years. He was not PLN material but he was certainly earnest and competent about it.

JLMannin
11-03-09, 02:07 PM
When you look at the quality of the Bears teams during Walters career, you realize just how great he was. For most of his career, the Bears really did suck, but it was never about him - it was about the team.

I'm so glad that he got to wear the Superbowl ring, because he really earned it. My regret is that he did not have the opportunity to score a TD in that game, but that is how he played the game - he was a true team player.

If it hadn't been for Moreno having the game of his life against the Bears that year, they would have gone undefeated.

That was a great start to 1986, a great year for me.

KLang
11-03-09, 04:16 PM
I remember Payton racing in either IMSA GTO or SCCA Trans Am at the peak of his driving years. He was not PLN material but he was certainly earnest and competent about it.

I'm pretty sure he ran in at least one of the Trans Am races in Des Moines.

NismoZ
11-03-09, 11:55 PM
We ran to the burning smoking ruined hulk of Walter's Trans Am #34 Olds (Gentilozzi, right?) just past the bridge headed down to the woods and turn 5 at RA. Went left, off the track through the grass, rolled and flipped over the guardrail AND the spectator snow fence. Think it was a Friday practice. If it had been race day he'd have landed on top of some people. Scary. I took a pic of that car after it was towed back to the paddock. Totally unrecognizable. (PS-now that I think about it maybe that wreck was in a Mustang? Anyone remember the year? I can't find the picture either.)

Easy
11-04-09, 01:14 PM
Ove Olsson still has Walter's #34 FF in his shop in Lake Forest. I've not been in awe of an FF before or since.

JohnHKart
11-04-09, 02:12 PM
Egypt Air by suicide pilot, Greg Moore and Sweetness. All lost within hours of each other. All remembered every year. Tragic.

chop456
11-05-09, 08:25 AM
If it hadn't been for Moreno having the game of his life against the Bears that year, they would have gone undefeated.

Moses Moreno? :D

NismoZ
11-05-09, 10:02 AM
No, Roberto...he "Supersubbed" in that game.:gomer:

JLMannin
11-05-09, 05:20 PM
chop456 and NismoZ - I was one vowel off. :D

STD
11-05-09, 09:45 PM
Remember seeing him drive in IMSA in an Olds. GTO or GTU can't recall.
I have some pictures of him and the car.

NismoZ
11-06-09, 02:00 PM
Yeah, it just bugs me when I clearly remember events but have become fuzzy on the details.

JohnHKart
11-06-09, 05:13 PM
Yes Payton did run several races in the Trans Am series- 92-93.

dando
11-06-09, 06:40 PM
chop456 and NismoZ - I was one vowel off. :D

More like 2 Marino/Moreno, 220/221...whatever it takes. :p

-Kevin

NismoZ
11-07-09, 11:06 AM
Oh, you mean DAN? I was thinkin' of that little bald headed race car driver from Brazil. I really liked him. Didn't think he played pro ball.:)