PDA

View Full Version : Williams Cosworth.

emjaya
10-31-09, 09:41 AM
Williams confirmed on Friday that they have signed a long-term engine partnership with Cosworth Limited.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/10/10161.html

Cosworth powered both Williams and Toro Rosso in 2006, after which they departed the sport. Next year their engines will also be used by the four new Formula One entrants, Campos Meta, Lotus, Manor and the US F1 Team.

If the Cosworth engine turns out to be rubbish, then at least they won't be lonely at the back of the field. :gomer:

oddlycalm
10-31-09, 04:54 PM
Word is the reason Williams are going to Cosworth is that they have an open window period allowing them to develop their engine after which the Cosworth will be frozen same as the rest. Cosworth will also be allowed to run at 20,000Rpm with the rest of the grid at 18,000Rpm Williams is betting they can gain an advantage. On the downside, fuel economy on the Cosworth will likely not be as good as the other engines so with no refueling there will be a minor weight penalty. Guess we'll see.

We can also guess that Toyota was asking more money as that was the reason Williams went there in the first place; it saved them ~$20 million.

oc

The Doctor
10-31-09, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty certain that they scrapped the original plan to give Cosworth the extra revs and their engine is also tuned to run at the 18,000rpm limit like the rest of the field.

NismoZ
10-31-09, 09:12 PM
Rosberg quit for a reason but Rubens thinks the move is a good one. One wants a better chance, the other wants ANY chance.

STD
10-31-09, 11:06 PM
I'm pretty certain that they scrapped the original plan to give Cosworth the extra revs and their engine is also tuned to run at the 18,000rpm limit like the rest of the field.

That is the way it is on that point.

I do believe they have been granted some upgrades to bring the old engine up to the level of the others as best as that maybe possible. I have read that fuel mileage will be a problem.

There is still no public notice on what the engine manufactures maybe given to work with to equalize performance with Mercedes.

Of course to me it's all BS.

pchall
10-31-09, 11:53 PM

i read someplace that the cossie ran 21k in test.

STD
11-01-09, 12:16 AM
In 2006 form it did. In 2010 form it is limited to 18,000 RPM.
It's really old news.

STD
11-01-09, 12:46 AM
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=337414&FS=F1

stroker
11-01-09, 11:56 AM
Personally, I was more interested in the revelation that Hobbs owns a "chateau" near Milwaukee. You think he located there just to be closer to Road America? Or is he a bratwurst demon?

cameraman
11-01-09, 02:52 PM
Hobbs owns a Honda dealership in Glendale Wisconsin.

oddlycalm
11-01-09, 07:20 PM
Hadn't been paying enough attention to notice the 20,000Rpm limit was reduced. More weight, less power would mean 5 teams well back. :thumdown:

oc

stroker
11-01-09, 09:56 PM
Hobbs owns a Honda dealership in Glendale Wisconsin.

Oh, sure, ruin it for me....

;)

STD
11-01-09, 10:35 PM
Hadn't been paying enough attention to notice the 20,000Rpm limit was reduced. More weight, less power would mean 5 teams well back. :thumdown:

oc

And four of them had no choice at all. :thumdown:

oddlycalm
11-04-09, 04:47 PM
And four of them had no choice at all. :thumdown:
Probably all five had no choice. Williams was probably told there would be no more Toyota engines some time back and were unable to secure an alternative. Ouch....

oc