PDA

View Full Version : Article about Greg Moore (10 yrs)

tllips
10-29-09, 11:43 AM
This is a nice article about Greg that Google Alerts sent me...

10 yrs :(

I cringe to think that he would have been forced to follow Penske to the IRL with Gil.

10 yrs, Leader-Post (http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/years+tears+Moore+friends+family/2158385/story.html)

Gangrel
10-29-09, 01:09 PM
:(

Still remember it like yesterday. Hell...still remember being at '07 Milwaukee for his first win like it was yesterday.

dando
10-29-09, 01:14 PM
:cry:

-Kevin

tllips
10-29-09, 02:33 PM

Still remember it like yesterday. Hell...still remember being at '07 Milwaukee for his first win like it was yesterday.

I remember the 07 Milwaukee race. We each picked the driver we thought would win. My Father-in-law picked Michael, Brother-in-law picked Al Jr., the other guy took Rahal, I picked Greg. They all looked like I was from Mars, picking the "kid." Then, when he first took the lead, my FIL looked at me and smiled like "What did you know about this kid?" :D

Gangrel
10-29-09, 03:02 PM
I remember the 07 Milwaukee race. We each picked the driver we thought would win. My Father-in-law picked Michael, Brother-in-law picked Al Jr., the other guy took Rahal, I picked Greg. They all looked like I was from Mars, picking the "kid." Then, when he first took the lead, my FIL looked at me and smiled like "What did you know about this kid?" :D

:D

That was my first race. I had been watching occasional races for most of my life, and had been following the series loyally since 1995, but this was the first time I got out to the track. I had been a fan of Greg's since his debut, mainly because a friend of mine had followed him since Lights. Going to the track that weekend, I was hoping we would get to see him take his first checkers, but things rarely go my way quite like that! If I wasn't a fan before that weekend, I was certainly hooked after...

Still have the '07 Miller 200 program with his autograph in it.

SteveH
10-29-09, 04:22 PM
I was at Homestead in 99 to see him win the opener. Thought it was going to be his year......

Elmo T
10-29-09, 04:25 PM
Strange how this sticks with everyone (me included). Speaks to the man and to the what could have been.

I've seen some pretty bad things over the years, but this always gives me that strange 2/3 sad & 1/3 angry feeling. :(

dando
10-29-09, 04:25 PM
I assume y'all mean '97. I wish he was around in '07. :(

-Kevin

Fio1
10-29-09, 05:41 PM
I can't believe it' been 10 years. Well, actually I can. I think of Castroneves and could only imagine what Moore would have done in that seat. To be honest, I think he would have gone to F1 before going to the IRL anyways. But still, that was his seat.

Of all the deaths in racing of drivers I was a fan of; Senna, Villeneuve, de Angelis, Earnhardt, Rodriguez, Bellof, etc; Moore's death really effected me the most. I think it was due to the fact that he was the first driver who was younger than me who I was a real fan of.

I wasn't at the track that day; I went on Saturday for qualifying and watched the race at a friends house. I remember when the crash happened, hoping it was the #33 car and not #99 car. I feel bad about that thought, but I could see the severity of the impact and knew there was no way someone could survive the initial impact. I recall seeing Greg the day before all banged up in the paddock at Fontana and asking him where he crashed. He told me in the paddock on a scooter...

I don't care what anybody says; Greg Moore was the most talented North American driver since Gilles Villeneuve and Rick Mears.

RIP Champ, you will never be forgotten. #99 lives forever in our hearts!

extramundane
10-29-09, 05:57 PM
Of all the deaths in racing of drivers I was a fan of; Senna, Villeneuve, de Angelis, Earnhardt, Rodriguez, Bellof, etc; Moore's death really effected me the most.

I think a lot of us felt that. I hadn't watched much CART in 1999 due to a crazy schedule, but finally got to sit down to watch the whole Fontana race. The then-gf was complaining the whole time, wanting to go shopping or something. She said the noise that came out of my mouth when Greg wrecked was unlike anything she'd heard before and she was completely puzzled when I immediately turned the TV off and suggested we go out and do something.

I'd hoped that if I walked away immediately, maybe he would too. :(

Dvdb
10-29-09, 11:44 PM
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=350683:KART

opinionated ow
10-30-09, 02:40 AM
Was just talking to Dad about that race. He actually thought it was more than 10 years ago. I miss that guy, he was my favourite and I was so excited to see him going to a really big team. #99 Forever. :(

Gangrel
10-30-09, 09:10 AM
I assume y'all mean '97. I wish he was around in '07. :(

-Kevin

Good catch...guess it was one of those wishful thinking freudian kinda' things...

FTG
10-30-09, 12:36 PM
I I remember when the crash happened, hoping it was the #33 car and not #99 car.

Me too. Racing was never the same after that day.

nrc
10-30-09, 01:11 PM

For me it was that and the whole series of events in '99 and '00. In years past you could kind of accept that these men were risking their lives for love of the sport. As the open wheel war ground on and it became clear that those embroiled in it were just pawns being moved around by very rich men it sort of lost all it's meaning.

You can only hear "it's all about business" so many times before you accept it and suddenly the cost seems much too high.

Gangrel
10-30-09, 02:02 PM

For me, it was kind of a fatigue that year. First Gonzolo at Laguna, then a couple of races later, Greg. Then, watching Richie slide off turn 2 at Fontana. I can't find video of it anymore, but I seem to remember Richie's crash looking pretty bad, but he walked away. Then, just as I was catching my breath from Hearn's crash, Greg's crash happened. I remember when I saw it everything went kind of numb.

Easy
10-30-09, 02:15 PM
For me, it was kind of a fatigue that year. First Gonzolo at Laguna, then a couple of races later, Greg. Then, watching Richie slide off turn 2 at Fontana. I can't find video of it anymore, but I seem to remember Richie's crash looking pretty bad, but he walked away. Then, just as I was catching my breath from Hearn's crash, Greg's crash happened. I remember when I saw it everything went kind of numb.

Hearn's crash was a shower of debris. The entire undertray popped out from the chassis.

It was a bad month. Gonzalo Rodriguez. Magnussen with a brake problem almost had the same crash as Gonzalo that weekend but got it wrangled back in. Then Moore. I remember that race so vividly. The announcement from Olvey(?) that seemed so awkward. Franchitti's botched pit stop, Montoya's post race interview as rookie champion. The other guys finding out as they were getting out of the cars. Bad day.

oddlycalm
10-30-09, 03:16 PM
You can only hear "it's all about business" so many times before you accept it and suddenly the cost seems much too high.
Exactly right.

oc

pchall
11-01-09, 08:42 AM
This is a cruel sport. Sometimes I am ashamed to love it so much.

TravelGal
11-01-09, 05:55 PM
I know it's one of those tricks of memory but it has always seemed to me that the cars went slower that day after the accident. Almost as if they were going around but looking for some indication of what had happened. I suppose not. -- But as I picture the rest of the race in my mind, I see it that way.

I kept watching, hoping that I was wrong. But I said immediately to TravelGuy, well, you know.

It was the first Fontana I had missed since following the sport. I didn't have a good feeling about it so we decided not to buy tickets that year. But I never expected anything so traumatic to happen. I can see it so clearly in my mind right now, that I only thank God that I wasn't there in the stands. I feel for those of you who were.

devilmaster
11-02-09, 01:51 AM
Just finished watching the Ashley Judd hosted 'Greg Moore - A Racer's Story'

"But perhaps the best thing to say at a time like this, is simply, thank you.

Thank you Greg, for some wonderful racing memories.
Thank you, for making us proud to be Canadians every time you raced,
and every time you stood on that top step of the podium.

And Thank you, for being a perfect ambassador, in that understated, Canadian way.

Yes, that's it. The best thing to say at a time like this...

Is Thank You, Greg Moore." - Vic Rauter