PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Busch To F-1

NismoZ
10-22-09, 09:04 AM
USA Today. At least Peter Windsor is saying so. Testing next year, ride for '011, if everything lasts that long. And you thought I was kidding earlier!:p

opinionated ow
10-22-09, 09:45 AM
USA Today. At least Peter Windsor is saying so. Testing next year, ride for '011, if everything lasts that long. And you thought I was kidding earlier!:p

Might be interesting. He seems to be the biggest talent in NASCAR, and he seems to be (with Tony Stewart) about the only one who can match it with the road racers (ambrose, montoya)

Sean Malone
10-22-09, 10:05 AM
More proof American open wheel racing is long dead.

NismoZ
10-22-09, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see him in a proper test against guys like Edwards, Summerton, Rossi...the DRIVERS are there I just think a series to support and sustain them is gone. I like Kyle's "realistic" attitude, though. Sounds like he plans on winning the 'CAB title before 25, going to Europe for 3-4 seasons and coming back to the high banks by age 28! Simple!:D

Fio1
10-22-09, 11:03 PM
Everyday I think Peter Windsor is more of a tool. What a ridiculous statement. :rolleyes: #1) You can not qualify for a super license by racing Nascar, like Seb Loeb isn't getting his super license for Abu Dhabi by being a Rally Champ. Therefore, forget about #2 & #3, because if you don't qualify for the license, you can't race...So, end of f***ing story! :saywhat:

miatanut
10-22-09, 11:52 PM
Don't forget about the 'FIA discretion' option in the Superlicense rule. I can remember it being used in the 80's to get a driver on the grid. It has a way of allowing drivers who otherwise seem ineligible get on the grid through F1 politics.

mueber
10-23-09, 12:15 PM
As a child I can remember reading a Young Adult novel in which a NASCAR driver loses his ride and goes to Europe and success in F-1. Fantasy?, maybe/maybe not. If Cale Yarborough had been born anywhere but south of the Mason-Dixon line, he'd of been successful in any form of racing he chose.

Great PR move for attracting American views/sponsors, and something to talk about everywhere else. If Busch is ambitious enough to take the chance, he wins no matter what because there is always going to be a good ride waiting for him in NASCAR. I'm hoping he has the balls to give it a try. It will certainly work better than the Danica thing.

Boatdesigner
10-26-09, 07:54 PM
Don't forget about the 'FIA discretion' option in the Superlicense rule. I can remember it being used in the 80's to get a driver on the grid. It has a way of allowing drivers who otherwise seem ineligible get on the grid through F1 politics.

I wonder if they are denying Loeb because they are afraid of losing the only really big name left in the WRC? As for Busch, I don't follow the cabs enough to know whether he is any good or not! Some of those guys did race karts as kids, so who knows.

pchall
10-26-09, 10:29 PM
Some of those guys did race karts as kids, so who knows.

Lake Speed won the World Karting Championship over the likes of Senna in the late 70s. NASCRAP just sucks the talent out of people, apparently.

JLMannin
11-03-09, 02:08 PM
Will F1 fans boo him too? :gomer:

racermike
11-03-09, 02:40 PM
Will F1 fans boo him too? :gomer:

Thats the very first thought that came to my mind as well. Thanks for stealing my thunder. :D

STD
11-03-09, 03:11 PM
Lake Speed won the World Karting Championship over the likes of Senna in the late 70s. NASCRAP just sucks the talent out of people, apparently.

Or sometimes life just throws a weird isolated pitch once and a while.

pchall
11-16-09, 08:17 AM
As a child I can remember reading a Young Adult novel in which a NASCAR driver loses his ride and goes to Europe and success in F-1. Fantasy?, maybe/maybe not.

The novel your read is most likely William E. Butterworth's Grand Prix Driver. Scary that I can remember everything I read (as as a kid and now into middle age) just well enough to track it down, isn't it? Must be why I had an academic career...

Grand Prix Driver
by W. E. Butterworth
Published in 1969, Norton (New York)
Language: English
Edition: [1st ed.]
Pagination: 123 p.
LCCN: 75077857
Dewey: [Fic]
LC: PZ7.B9825 Gr
Subject: Automobile racing — Fiction.
Monaco Grand Prix Race — Fiction.

description

Hesitant to return to stock car racing after his partner is killed, twenty-three-year-old Ed Stevens decides to try Europe's Formula I road racing instead.

You can probably snag a copy off Amazon.com for under $10 bucks if you want to read it again. The book might also still be available from the central library of some big system, but probably is in deep storage and not on the shelves. Overripe juvenile fiction that hasn't achieved 'classic' status doesn't get much respect.

mueber
11-17-09, 04:40 PM
Pchall:

I am certain you are correct about the Butterworth book. That was 40 years ago.

BTW: I checked, and we have 3 copies in Storage at the Allen County Public Library, where I work. I may order a copy for old times' sake.

nissan gtp
11-17-09, 05:37 PM

so he's staying in Cup full time ? There is almost no testing in F1, right ?

Sounds pretty fishy to me, par for the course with Pete. :irked: